Gymnastics

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52179
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:39 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:13 pm
Home now - recovering, not home to die.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
Here’s some of the bs surrounding her not having insurance.

“Why didn t Mary Lou Retton have insurance?

Retton may not have had access to employer-sponsored insurance. Publicly available sources that I checked indicate that she is not currently employed — and also that she is not currently married, so she wouldn't have the opportunity to qualify through a spouse's employer.Nov 6, 2023”

None of which has anything to do with not having insurance

So of course the multimillionaire needed her fans to dig deep.

“Olympian Mary Lou Retton Returns From The Hospital Amid $450K Donations. Retired Olympic gymnast Mary Lou Retton is back home after fighting for her life in the ICU.Oct 23, 2023”

That was her take 2 months ago.

What is Mary Lou Retton net worth 2023?
2 million

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for rich people without insurance, especially celebrities who see Go Fund Me as a way around spending their money.

My wild and unfounded guess - she’s never contributed to any of the people who actually needed Go Fund Me.
Mary Lou Retton reveals the reason why she didn't have health insurance

... She said buying health insurance as a single woman with a history of surgeries was too expensive.

“When COVID hit and after my divorce and all my pre-existing (conditions) — I mean, I’ve had over 30 operations of orthopedic stuff — I couldn’t afford it… That’s the bottom line: I couldn’t afford it,” Retton said....

Many people assumed the retired gymnastics star had endorsement deals and other means to afford health insurance, Kotb pointed out.

But Retton said “life goes on and things happen” — it’s been almost 40 years since she won an Olympic gold medal — and she financially couldn’t do it.
-0-? I suppose it's possible that she's not as wealthy as the online net worth sites say. Or, could be that a big chunk of her supposed wealth is tied up in the home she owns.
More than 27 million Americans, or about 8% of the population, didn’t have health insurance in 2022, the latest year for which statistics were available, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That's actually an improvement over previous years.

Almost two-thirds, or 64%, of uninsured adults said they didn't have health insurance because the cost of coverage was too high, according to KFF.

Of Americans who are insured, 54% get health insurance through a job, 18% are covered by Medicaid, 18% have Medicare and 10% buy it themselves, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Retton said she’s “all set now” and has health insurance.

After developing the rare form of pneumonia out of the blue last fall, she spent a month in a Texas hospital, much of it in the intensive care unit....

Almost $460,000 was raised on the crowd-funding site Spotfund. Retton was home in Boerne, Texas, by Oct. 23.

The five-time Olympic medalist said doctors still don’t know what caused the pneumonia, noting she tested negative for COVID-19, the flu and RSV. She is using a portable oxygen apparatus as her lungs heal....
That may have eaten up most, all, or even more than the $460,000. She may be one of the few uninsured to actually pay a large bill.

Whatever, I'm glad that she survived.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:03 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:39 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:13 pm
Home now - recovering, not home to die.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
Here’s some of the bs surrounding her not having insurance.

“Why didn t Mary Lou Retton have insurance?

Retton may not have had access to employer-sponsored insurance. Publicly available sources that I checked indicate that she is not currently employed — and also that she is not currently married, so she wouldn't have the opportunity to qualify through a spouse's employer.Nov 6, 2023”

None of which has anything to do with not having insurance

So of course the multimillionaire needed her fans to dig deep.

“Olympian Mary Lou Retton Returns From The Hospital Amid $450K Donations. Retired Olympic gymnast Mary Lou Retton is back home after fighting for her life in the ICU.Oct 23, 2023”

That was her take 2 months ago.

What is Mary Lou Retton net worth 2023?
2 million

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for rich people without insurance, especially celebrities who see Go Fund Me as a way around spending their money.

My wild and unfounded guess - she’s never contributed to any of the people who actually needed Go Fund Me.
Mary Lou Retton reveals the reason why she didn't have health insurance

... She said buying health insurance as a single woman with a history of surgeries was too expensive.

“When COVID hit and after my divorce and all my pre-existing (conditions) — I mean, I’ve had over 30 operations of orthopedic stuff — I couldn’t afford it… That’s the bottom line: I couldn’t afford it,” Retton said....

Many people assumed the retired gymnastics star had endorsement deals and other means to afford health insurance, Kotb pointed out.

But Retton said “life goes on and things happen” — it’s been almost 40 years since she won an Olympic gold medal — and she financially couldn’t do it.
-0-? I suppose it's possible that she's not as wealthy as the online net worth sites say. Or, could be that a big chunk of her supposed wealth is tied up in the home she owns.
More than 27 million Americans, or about 8% of the population, didn’t have health insurance in 2022, the latest year for which statistics were available, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That's actually an improvement over previous years.

Almost two-thirds, or 64%, of uninsured adults said they didn't have health insurance because the cost of coverage was too high, according to KFF.

Of Americans who are insured, 54% get health insurance through a job, 18% are covered by Medicaid, 18% have Medicare and 10% buy it themselves, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Retton said she’s “all set now” and has health insurance.

After developing the rare form of pneumonia out of the blue last fall, she spent a month in a Texas hospital, much of it in the intensive care unit....

Almost $460,000 was raised on the crowd-funding site Spotfund. Retton was home in Boerne, Texas, by Oct. 23.

The five-time Olympic medalist said doctors still don’t know what caused the pneumonia, noting she tested negative for COVID-19, the flu and RSV. She is using a portable oxygen apparatus as her lungs heal....
That may have eaten up most, all, or even more than the $460,000. She may be one of the few uninsured to actually pay a large bill.

Whatever, I'm glad that she survived.
“ Mary Lou Retton reveals the reason why she didn't have health insurance

... She said buying health insurance as a single woman with a history of surgeries was too expensive.”

And she would be absolutely right pre-aca and pre-women’s rights. To say that now borders on republican type fantasies.

When an explanation starts with a lie, I have a hard time believing anything else the person says.

It’s more likely that she’s like so many people who don’t believe in health insurance until it’s too late. Unlike most people she was able to use her name to get people to pay for her mistake, but caught do much flak for abusing the system that she came up with and explanation devoid of facts.

Same here -what you said

Whatever, I'm glad that she survived.

Over the past 42 I’ve never had insurance through my employer. It got tough around 2010, but I provided for myself and family. My bill that year was almost a million,
I don’t believe her.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52179
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:48 pm
“Mary Lou Retton reveals the reason why she didn't have health insurance

... She said buying health insurance as a single woman with a history of surgeries was too expensive.”

And she would be absolutely right pre-aca and pre-women’s rights. To say that now borders on republican type fantasies.

When an explanation starts with a lie, I have a hard time believing anything else the person says.
I think she meant that being single reduced her resources, not that she was gender-discriminated against.

The ACA cutoff for subsidy is pretty low. I was under-insured while still working part time and fortunately got away with it. I can accept the possibility that the cost was too high for her.
It’s more likely that she’s like so many people who don’t believe in health insurance until it’s too late. Unlike most people she was able to use her name to get people to pay for her mistake, but caught do much flak for abusing the system that she came up with and explanation devoid of facts.

Same here -what you said

Whatever, I'm glad that she survived.

Over the past 42 I’ve never had insurance through my employer. It got tough around 2010, but I provided for myself and family. My bill that year was almost a million,
"almost a million" for health insurance? :crazy:
I don’t believe her.
-0-?

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:28 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:48 pm
“Mary Lou Retton reveals the reason why she didn't have health insurance

... She said buying health insurance as a single woman with a history of surgeries was too expensive.”

And she would be absolutely right pre-aca and pre-women’s rights. To say that now borders on republican type fantasies.

When an explanation starts with a lie, I have a hard time believing anything else the person says.
I think she meant that being single reduced her resources, not that she was gender-discriminated against.

The ACA cutoff for subsidy is pretty low. I was under-insured while still working part time and fortunately got away with it. I can accept the possibility that the cost was too high for her.
It’s more likely that she’s like so many people who don’t believe in health insurance until it’s too late. Unlike most people she was able to use her name to get people to pay for her mistake, but caught do much flak for abusing the system that she came up with and explanation devoid of facts.

Same here -what you said

Whatever, I'm glad that she survived.

Over the past 42 I’ve never had insurance through my employer. It got tough around 2010, but I provided for myself and family. My bill that year was almost a million,
"almost a million" for health insurance? :crazy:
I don’t believe her.
-0-?
That was the charged amount. My insurance and deductible ran about $12,000

She claims her pre-existings made it hard to get insurance.
That’s a lie. Pre-existing conditions were ignored by the aca. One lie is enough.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52179
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:37 am
That was the charged amount. My insurance and deductible ran about $12,000
Ah, I wondered.

Nose job? ;)
She claims her pre-existings made it hard to get insurance.
That’s a lie. Pre-existing conditions were ignored by the aca. One lie is enough.
Ah, I forgot, sorry:
Effective January 1, 2014

Insurers are prohibited from denying coverage (or charging higher rates) to any individual based on pre-existing medical conditions or gender....
Could be that she was uninsured since before 2014 and didn't pay attention to the change in the law, but that would be on her for being so ignorant. She got divorced in February 2018. Still, unsubsidized health insurance is very expensive, even if her preexisting medical conditions were not a factor -0-?

Ftr, the crowd funding was set up by her daughters while MLR was too sick to do anything. Who knows where they were coming from?

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

So, it was the grifting daughter’s concern for her inheritance that led to the fan funding of mom’s stupid decision to go without insurance.

Sorry, but no way do I believe that she couldn’t afford insurance. She wasn’t living in poverty.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
O Really
Admiral
Posts: 21711
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by O Really »

"According to a Kaiser Family Foundation analysis of marketplace plans nationwide for a 40-year-old person, the average premium (without subsidies) for a silver plan in 2023 is $456. The price ranges from a low of $323, in New Hampshire, to a high of $841, in Vermont."

Don't know where Texas falls in there, and MLR is 55, not 40, but it looks like it ought to be reasonably affordable for her. Particularly since she could have reasonably expected to have adverse health conditions as she gets older, given her history. Maybe not expect to get killer pneumonia, but surely something expensive.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52179
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:39 am
So, it was the grifting daughter’s concern for her inheritance that led to the fan funding of mom’s stupid decision to go without insurance.

Sorry, but no way do I believe that she couldn’t afford insurance. She wasn’t living in poverty.
Idk what her income is.

Great minds, a month ago:
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:42 pm
I can't find the GoFundMe for the gymnast. Oh wait, it's on a platform called Spotfund:
$459,264 of $50,000 goal :roll:
It was posted by her 4 daughters, protecting their inheritance no doubt. They probably figured it was imminent and that they needed to move fast.

Weird, only $60 raised since I posted, but no statement that donations were ever capped. Did the entire world develop questions at the same moment that we did?

Edit: Never mind, there is no donate button. The girls must have removed it without editing their plea.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:30 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:39 am
So, it was the grifting daughter’s concern for her inheritance that led to the fan funding of mom’s stupid decision to go without insurance.

Sorry, but no way do I believe that she couldn’t afford insurance. She wasn’t living in poverty.
Idk what her income is.

Great minds, a month ago:
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:42 pm
I can't find the GoFundMe for the gymnast. Oh wait, it's on a platform called Spotfund:
$459,264 of $50,000 goal :roll:
It was posted by her 4 daughters, protecting their inheritance no doubt. They probably figured it was imminent and that they needed to move fast.

Weird, only $60 raised since I posted, but no statement that donations were ever capped. Did the entire world develop questions at the same moment that we did?

Edit: Never mind, there is no donate button. The girls must have removed it without editing their plea.
It wouldn’t matter what her income was. If she wasn’t actively making income her insurance would have been mostly covered by the government. If she was making enough to lose the subsidy, she would have been making enough to afford the insurance.

It’s like with Fox News, once lied to all credibility disappears.

Like the comment that she couldn’t do endorsements - that’s bullshit, of course there were plenty of endorsement deals out there. Maybe they weren’t the ones she wanted, but they were there . A half million in donations proves her popularity, or as trump would say, “her brand”.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52179
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:36 pm
It wouldn’t matter what her income was. If she wasn’t actively making income her insurance would have been mostly covered by the government. If she was making enough to lose the subsidy, she would have been making enough to afford the insurance.
You think that everyone making more than the subsidy level is rolling in dough and can afford $500 or more per month? Odd.
It’s like with Fox News, once lied to all credibility disappears.
You think you know everything there is to know about her finances to be able to repeatedly call her a liar? Odd.
Like the comment that she couldn’t do endorsements - that’s bullshit, of course there were plenty of endorsement deals out there.
Not exactly Retton's words:
-0-?
Maybe they weren’t the ones she wanted, but they were there.
Without any evidence you're certain that she was awash in lucrative offers. Then, you seem to feel that anyone who can prostitute themselves for any corporate products that ask should do so. Odd.
A half million in donations proves her popularity, or as trump would say, “her brand”.
Popularity and compassion based on our fond memories from 4 decades ago is different from commercial viability and authority. I did not donate, but I would have done so well before I would have swallowed her endorsement of any product.

Retton MAY have been sloppy, cheap and/or a lousy gambler, or not, but IMO it's extreme to ascribe evil intent based on the limited, Kotb-filtered info we have. It's not like her daughters were still fundraising when she sat for the interview. Anyhow, many of the 8,319 donors are savvy enough to know that Retton may have made poor choices, yet they gave anyhow. So what?

User avatar
O Really
Admiral
Posts: 21711
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by O Really »

Never attribute to malice that which can be more easily attributed to stupidity/ignorance/carelessness etc

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:34 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:36 pm
It wouldn’t matter what her income was. If she wasn’t actively making income her insurance would have been mostly covered by the government. If she was making enough to lose the subsidy, she would have been making enough to afford the insurance.
You think that everyone making more than the subsidy level is rolling in dough and can afford $500 or more per month? Odd.
It’s like with Fox News, once lied to all credibility disappears.
You think you know everything there is to know about her finances to be able to repeatedly call her a liar? Odd.
Like the comment that she couldn’t do endorsements - that’s bullshit, of course there were plenty of endorsement deals out there.
Not exactly Retton's words:
-0-?
Maybe they weren’t the ones she wanted, but they were there.
Without any evidence you're certain that she was awash in lucrative offers. Then, you seem to feel that anyone who can prostitute themselves for any corporate products that ask should do so. Odd.
A half million in donations proves her popularity, or as trump would say, “her brand”.
Popularity and compassion based on our fond memories from 4 decades ago is different from commercial viability and authority. I did not donate, but I would have done so well before I would have swallowed her endorsement of any product.

Retton MAY have been sloppy, cheap and/or a lousy gambler, or not, but IMO it's extreme to ascribe evil intent based on the limited, Kotb-filtered info we have. It's not like her daughters were still fundraising when she sat for the interview. Anyhow, many of the 8,319 donors are savvy enough to know that Retton may have made poor choices, yet they gave anyhow. So what?
I’m surprised to hear you talking so poorly about Obamacare.

Pre Obamacare I could have believed her story, but her story is too full of holes and lies for any of the rest of it to be believed.

Hell, they even claim pre-existing conditions making her unable to get insurance. You know that’s bullshit.
Then there’s the oh poor single woman something or another
And then the cost.

Did you have insurance through the aca?
If you did, then you know that you had to be trailer park destitute poor to fall through its relatively few cracks.

We form opinions about people all the time based on the best evidence available. I don’t know for certain that trump is scum, but I believe that he is.
Neither of us will ever know for certain that Mary Lou, or her family has lied about her health finances, but the facts as “they” present them, say that they misrepresented the situation for their personal gain.


I bet they’re MAGA too
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

oops, maybe I guessed right again

Huge Reagan supporter, but so far nothing on trump love.

Yuck, I did run into this

https://themedalcount.com/2020/01/23/th ... ou-retton/

“ There is no Defense for the Actions of Mary Lou Retton
The Gymternet has plenty of ammunition when it comes to finding reasons to hate Mary Lou Retton. At the very top of the list is the accusation that she worked to counter a congressional bill that was designed to protect children in sports from sexual predators.”
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

“Out of respect for her and her privacy, I will not disclose all details. However, I will disclose that she is not insured,” Retton’s daughter McKenna Kelley wrote on the SpotFund donation site.”

Out of respect for her privacy the family won’t disclose the details of her medical condition, but don’t hesitate to claim that she is either too broke or too stupid to have insurance and they worry about their inheritance.

“The disclosure kicked off a firestorm on X (formerly Twitter), with some blaming Retton — who campaigned for Ronald Reagan and led the Pledge of Allegiance at the 2004 Republican National Convention — for supporting a political party that fought the Affordable Care Act. Others resented a successful athlete asking for donations from everyday Americans.”’

https://nypost.com/2023/10/13/triumphan ... etton/amp/

In 2016, Mary Lou Retton gave an endorsement speech at a trump campaign


https://iitnotablealumni.com/is-mary-lo ... cal-views/
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »




On the Today show during Monday’s interview, Shayla sat by her mom’s side and gave more insight about their need for financial assistance during Retton’s health battle.

As is so often the case, these right wingers win at the expense of those who support them.

And I’m done with this rightwing asshole
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52179
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by Vrede too »

Your source, ❤️🤍💙 Fanta’C ❤️🤍💙:
"♥️Married🤍Military Family💙Patriot♥️XX🤍MAGA💙╾━╤デ╦︻♥️"

IRONY.

Another source is Murdoch's New York Post, though it's way more open-minded about her current situation than you are.

IRONY. I can't find anything about your other source, Emily on IIT. Otoh:
Mary Lou Retton's Net Worth In 2024—and Why She Had to Crowdfund Her Medical Care
The decorated Olympic gymnast's health problems cost her.


... Mary Lou Retton's net worth in 2024 is estimated to be $2 million (which was also her reported net worth in 2023), but those figures haven't been substantiated by any solid or reliable reporting, so take it with a grain of salt. It's also important to remember that someone's net worth isn't just their earnings, but the value of any and all property they own, as well as whatever investments they may have, in relation to whatever debt or liabilities they may have. As such, Retton may have a net worth of $2 million, but that doesn't mean she necessarily has a ton of liquid assets to pay a massive medical bill.
:think: Didn't someone say that here?
... Retton doesn't have health insurance, which is part of why her medical care is cripplingly expensive for her and her family. It's unclear why she didn't have a healthcare plan (as she'd likely be eligible for one under the Affordable Care Act if she couldn't get one through an employer). Whether her lack of health insurance was due to financial difficulties, a previous policy lapsing or more personal reasons remains unknown....
:think: Didn't someone say that we don't have enough info to draw dire conclusions?
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:01 pm
I’m surprised to hear you talking so poorly about Obamacare.

:headscratch: It's always been an insufficient compromise. I thought you knew that.

Pre Obamacare I could have believed her story, but her story is too full of holes and lies for any of the rest of it to be believed.

Hell, they even claim pre-existing conditions making her unable to get insurance. You know that’s bullshit.

I know that the Kotb-filtered statement is incorrect, but I'm not gifted with the ESP to know why.

Then there’s the oh poor single woman something or another

You know that the divorce did not limit her finances? Do tell.

And then the cost.

:headscratch: All she said was that it was a strain. Do you know more?

Did you have insurance through the aca?
If you did, then you know that you had to be trailer park destitute poor to fall through its relatively few cracks.

I did out of solidarity, but never qualified for the subsidy. The cost was not peanuts to me. Then, I was under-insured for awhile. What is your expertise on the matter?

We form opinions about people all the time based on the best evidence available. I don’t know for certain that trump is scum, but I believe that he is.

:headscratch: We have years of experience with ex-PINO. You're calling one article "best evidence"?

Neither of us will ever know for certain that Mary Lou, or her family has lied about her health finances, but the facts as “they” present them, say that they misrepresented the situation for their personal gain.

:headscratch: :headscratch: All the daughters said was that she had no insurance. Where's the misrepresentation in that? Then, again, Mary Lou's interview came AFTER the fundraising ceased. Where's the misrepresentation in that?

I bet they’re MAGA too

Great minds ... I already checked. Mary Lou supported Reagan and Shrub. Wiki doesn't say anything about her backing McCain, Mitten or TRE45QN. Your IIT source says without citation that she was MAGA in 2016, but not a peep since.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:37 pm
Your source, ❤️🤍💙 Fanta’C ❤️🤍💙:
"♥️Married🤍Military Family💙Patriot♥️XX🤍MAGA💙╾━╤デ╦︻♥️"

IRONY. I can't find anything about your other source, Emily on IIT. Otoh:
Mary Lou Retton's Net Worth In 2024—and Why She Had to Crowdfund Her Medical Care
The decorated Olympic gymnast's health problems cost her.


... Mary Lou Retton's net worth in 2024 is estimated to be $2 million (which was also her reported net worth in 2023), but those figures haven't been substantiated by any solid or reliable reporting, so take it with a grain of salt. It's also important to remember that someone's net worth isn't just their earnings, but the value of any and all property they own, as well as whatever investments they may have, in relation to whatever debt or liabilities they may have. As such, Retton may have a net worth of $2 million, but that doesn't mean she necessarily has a ton of liquid assets to pay a massive medical bill.
:think: Didn't someone say that here?
... Retton doesn't have health insurance, which is part of why her medical care is cripplingly expensive for her and her family. It's unclear why she didn't have a healthcare plan (as she'd likely be eligible for one under the Affordable Care Act if she couldn't get one through an employer). Whether her lack of health insurance was due to financial difficulties, a previous policy lapsing or more personal reasons remains unknown....
:think: Didn't someone say that we don't have enough info to draw dire conclusions?
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:01 pm
I’m surprised to hear you talking so poorly about Obamacare.

:headscratch: It's always been an insufficient compromise. I thought you knew that.

Pre Obamacare I could have believed her story, but her story is too full of holes and lies for any of the rest of it to be believed.

Hell, they even claim pre-existing conditions making her unable to get insurance. You know that’s bullshit.

I know that the Kotb-filtered statement is incorrect, but I'm not gifted with the ESP to know why.

Then there’s the oh poor single woman something or another

You know that the divorce did not limit her finances? Do tell.

And then the cost.

:headscratch: All she said was that it was a strain. Do you know more?

Did you have insurance through the aca?
If you did, then you know that you had to be trailer park destitute poor to fall through its relatively few cracks.

I did out of solidarity, but never qualified for the subsidy. The cost was not peanuts to me. Then, I was under-insured for awhile. What is your expertise on the matter?

We form opinions about people all the time based on the best evidence available. I don’t know for certain that trump is scum, but I believe that he is.

:headscratch: We have years of experience with ex-PINO. You're calling one article "best evidence"?

Neither of us will ever know for certain that Mary Lou, or her family has lied about her health finances, but the facts as “they” present them, say that they misrepresented the situation for their personal gain.

:headscratch: :headscratch: All the daughters said was that she had no insurance. Where's the misrepresentation in that? Then, again, Mary Lou's interview came AFTER the fundraising ceased. Where's the misrepresentation in that?

I bet they’re MAGA too

Great minds ... I already checked. Mary Lou supported Reagan and Shrub. Wiki doesn't say anything about her backing McCain, Mitten or TRE45QN. Your IIT source says without citation that she was MAGA in 2016, but not a peep since.
I thought I said earlier that I’ve always been self insured over the past 40 or so years. Actually since 1981 - through divorce and some really serious medical bills.
One example - After my 1990 appendix rupture complete with gangrene, peritonitis and 3 weeks in the hospital including 8 days in icu during my divorce, I was left unable to move out of Florida, or change insurance companies or plans due to my pre-existing conditions until the aca rolled out.

Defend her all you want, I say she damn sure looks like just another lying sack of shit republican
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52179
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by Vrede too »

I added a bit while you were composing:
Another selectively quoted source (of yours) is Murdoch's New York Post, though it's way more open-minded about her current situation than you are.

IRONY.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:14 pm
I thought I said earlier that I’ve always been self insured over the past 40 or so years. Actually since 1981 - through divorce and some really serious medical bills.
One example - After my 1990 appendix rupture complete with gangrene, peritonitis and 3 weeks in the hospital including 8 days in icu during my divorce, I was left unable to move out of Florida, or change insurance companies or plans due to my pre-existing conditions until the aca rolled out.
So, no direct experience with ACA coverage. That's what I thought.
Defend her all you want, I say she damn sure looks like just another lying sack of shit republican
Look again, I haven't so much defended her as said that we don't have enough info on this issue to destroy her.

That said, if your article about her blind support for the now-reformed USA Gymnastics, which is an entirely different issue, is correct, it's shameful. However, the article is 4 years old and I'd want to hear her perspective now. Anyhow, that entire tragic scandal was more about sports loyalties than partisanship.

Did you see this?
O Really wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:01 pm
Never attribute to malice that which can be more easily attributed to stupidity/ignorance/carelessness etc

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:16 am
I added a bit while you were composing:
Another selectively quoted source (of yours) is Murdoch's New York Post, though it's way more open-minded about her current situation than you are.

IRONY.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:14 pm
I thought I said earlier that I’ve always been self insured over the past 40 or so years. Actually since 1981 - through divorce and some really serious medical bills.
One example - After my 1990 appendix rupture complete with gangrene, peritonitis and 3 weeks in the hospital including 8 days in icu during my divorce, I was left unable to move out of Florida, or change insurance companies or plans due to my pre-existing conditions until the aca rolled out.
So, no direct experience with ACA coverage. That's what I thought.
Defend her all you want, I say she damn sure looks like just another lying sack of shit republican
Look again, I haven't so much defended her as said that we don't have enough info on this issue to destroy her.

That said, if your article about her blind support for the now-reformed USA Gymnastics, which is an entirely different issue, is correct, it's shameful. However, the article is 4 years old and I'd want to hear her perspective now. Anyhow, that entire tragic scandal was more about sports loyalties than partisanship.

Did you see this?
O Really wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:01 pm
Never attribute to malice that which can be more easily attributed to stupidity/ignorance/carelessness etc
What do you mean - no experience with the aca? Read it again

Billie Sue is still in the aca and my son was on our family plan and then my wife’s plan for 5 years.

Yes, I have plenty of 1st hand experience with private insurance and with the aca.


Edit:
Yes I saw O Really’s well reasoned post. He’s right to a large degree, it’s just that I believe that I’ve seen enough to call her a typical republican grifter.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52179
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Gymnastics

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:20 am
What do you mean - no experience with the aca? Read it again

Billie Sue is still in the aca and my son was on our family plan and then my wife’s plan for 5 years.

Yes, I have plenty of 1st hand experience with private insurance and with the aca.


Edit:
Yes I saw O Really’s well reasoned post. He’s right to a large degree, it’s just that I believe that I’ve seen enough to call her a typical republican grifter.
YOU read your words again. You didn't say anything about having ACA coverage. All you said was that you were no longer trapped by your preexisting conditions thanks to ACA.

Anyhow, OUR experience with ACA is of limited relevance without knowing Retton's income and liquidity.

Once again, Mary Lou did ZERO fundraising.

Post Reply