Dumb headlines thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Dumb headlines thread

Unread post by O Really »

"OC Officials Issue Warning as Rapid Bat Found in Fountain Valley"

Is there such a thing as a slow bat?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:15 am
"OC Officials Issue Warning as Rapid Bat Found in Fountain Valley"

Is there such a thing as a slow bat?
Ask Useless or GoCubsGo. :P :P
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So this is interesting:
"Parents heartbroken injuries to their child by Winnipeg police dog not deemed serious enough to investigate"

The parents wanted more severe injuries for their child? Nope - they were disappointed (heartbroken was a bit of exaggeration) that Winnipeg police declined to investigate despite the (relatively minor but still significant) injuries the dog caused.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medica ... 42433c765e

If rstrong were still around we'd have him speak to the bad cops.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:14 pm
So this is interesting:
"Parents heartbroken injuries to their child by Winnipeg police dog not deemed serious enough to investigate"

The parents wanted more severe injuries for their child? Nope - they were disappointed (heartbroken was a bit of exaggeration) that Winnipeg police declined to investigate despite the (relatively minor but still significant) injuries the dog caused.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medica ... r-AA15ASFH

If rstrong were still around we'd have him speak to the bad cops.
Meh, they're "heartbroken" because of "not deemed", NOT because of "not ... serious". The headline is okay IMO, but maybe it could be better. -0-?

Anyway:

Sad, but not so surprising that a PD is racist, but it's really disturbing that their dog is racist, too.

8+ hours in an ER and having to call in a plastic surgeon for a five-year-old seems pretty serious to me. Plus, a facial injury could potentially be disfiguring for life despite the lack of hospital admission. That's "serious".

Aside: I also wonder about a triage failure. Even in nutso Oakland kids would never wait 7 hours to be seen.

Then, there seems to have been some degree of psychological trauma, something the asshole investigators would know if they ever talked to the parents. Also "serious".
... An investigator from the unit told CBC News on Wednesday that after reviewing the incident they determined it did not fall within the "serious injury classification" because the child was taken to hospital but not admitted.

The investigator further said the decision could change, and an independent investigation could be launched, if there is enough public interest in the incident....
Alrighty then.
Contact Us

General inquiries
Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba
700 – 155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg MB R3C 3H8

Twitter: @IIUManitoba twitter
Phone: 204-948-7000 (in Winnipeg)
Toll Free: 1-844-667-6060
Fax: (204) 948-1414

Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Seriously, no email or contact form? Phone is :bs: since that avoids permanent record. Okay, snail mail at xmastime it is.
Dear Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba,

Re: Parents heartbroken injuries to their child by Winnipeg police dog not deemed serious enough to investigate
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medica ... r-AA15ASFH

I am disappointed that you blew off investigating the injury to the five-year-old son of Femi and Omolara Aloba, and that you were too lazy to even talk with them. Is it because they're Black?

In my professional opinion as an Emergency RN all of these factors add up to "serious" injury:
The need for transport to a hospital;
8+ hours in the ER;
The need for repair by a plastic surgeon;
The potential disfigurement for life from a facial injury, whether or not it's the case this time;
The clear indications of psychological trauma, something you would know if you had the initiative and courtesy to talk to the parents.

At the very least that dog and handler should never be around children again.

Also, it's shameful that you have no email or contact form, and that the only way to e-contact you is through an Elon Musk organ.

Be better, get off your duffs and fix this.

Sincerely,
(Vrede too) ER RN

Cc:
Winnipeg Police Service Professional Standards
Samuel Burland School
Winnipeg Police Service Professional Standards Contact Form
Samuel Burland School Online Contact Form
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

rstrong? we don't need no stinkin' rstrong.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:15 pm
rstrong? we don't need no stinkin' rstrong.
:lol: :oops: At best I am rstrong-lite.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Not exactly "dumb" but surely misleading:

"Two famous singers reportedly refused to sing at the coronation of King Charles III"

Oh, do we have a protest? Are we taking some political stand against the Monarchy or still mad because Harry is an outcast?

Nope. Adele and Ed Sheeran have scheduling conflicts and gave notice of such prior to an official invitation being issued.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:03 pm

"Two famous singers reportedly refused to sing at the coronation of King Charles III"

Oh, do we have a protest? Are we taking some political stand against the Monarchy or still mad because Harry is an outcast?

Nope. Adele and Ed Sheeran have scheduling conflicts and gave notice of such prior to an official invitation being issued.
Thought I read somewhere that Adele didn't actually have anything going on. Maybe she's got to wash her hair.

That'd be a good headline.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:27 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:03 pm

Thought I read somewhere that Adele didn't actually have anything going on. Maybe she's got to wash her hair.

That'd be a good headline.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ade ... 20554.html
... OK! reports that King Charles had specifically wanted the duo to perform at the concert, which is scheduled for May 7th, the day after he officially takes over for the late Queen Elizabeth III II. Sheeran chalked his absence up to scheduling conflicts, noting that he has a concert in Texas the day before and it would be difficult to make it back to England in time.
:roll: No, it wouldn't. The King would probably even send or charter a private jet.
Adele, however, didn’t offer an explanation, and she doesn’t have any live performances scheduled after March 25th....
Opps. :think: Just how many coronations does a performer get invited to in their life? I'm with the headlines, it's at least suspicious. Elizabeth II died in September, plenty of time to declare interest and clear schedules. That said, I support anyone that doesn't care. I don't.
... The performers of the coronation concert have not yet been confirmed, but OK! adds that Lionel Richie and the Spice Girls are the frontrunners to take the stage ...
:D The 1980s and 90s called and they want their stars back.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

If I were going to give up the opportunity of a lifetime to perform at the coronation of the King of England - an event that hasn't happened in 70 years and may not happen again for a while - I'd want some better publicity out of my "refusal". A coronation isn't like a Presidential inauguration that happens every 4-8 years and is heavily partisan. You can be Labour, Tory or Empty-G type loon and still have the same king. The monarchy is steeped in history and tradition and, unlike singing for Trump or Biden, nobody is going to criticize you for doing it. And in Adele's case, she was awarded and accepted MBE from the Queen.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:20 pm

:D The 1980s and 90s called and they want their stars back.
Lionel Richie, a Yank?

Guess Sir Elton or Sir Paul aren't available either.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:37 pm
If I were going to give up the opportunity of a lifetime to perform at the coronation of the King of England - an event that hasn't happened in 70 years and may not happen again for a while - I'd want some better publicity out of my "refusal". A coronation isn't like a Presidential inauguration that happens every 4-8 years and is heavily partisan. You can be Labour, Tory or Empty-G type loon and still have the same king. The monarchy is steeped in history and tradition and, unlike singing for Trump or Biden, nobody is going to criticize you for doing it. And in Adele's case, she was awarded and accepted MBE from the Queen.
King Chuckles is 74, so not 70 years. Maybe 20.

Isn't an mbe the royal equivalent of a good conduct medal? It's not like she was knighted ( or damed or whatever).

DAMED would be a good wordle word.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Good point about Sir Elton and Sir Paul. Are they permanently retired now? It would be pretty unforgivable for Chuck to snub them, even if he doesn't like their music :o . The world knows who the REAL British royalty are. "Surprise" appearances?
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:36 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:37 pm
King Chuckles is 74, so not 70 years. Maybe 20.

Isn't an mbe the royal equivalent of a good conduct medal? It's not like she was knighted (or damed or whatever).

DAMED would be a good wordle word.
LOL, you sent me down the English honorifics rabbit hole.
Order of the British Empire

... Current classes

The five classes of appointment to the Order are, from highest grade to lowest grade:

1. Knight Grand Cross or Dame Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (GBE)
2. Knight Commander or Dame Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (KBE or DBE)
3. Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE)
4. Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE)
5. Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE)
:lol: Welcome to the Club . . . at the lowest level. :think:

Anyhow, after rejecting Chuck she might be damned but she'll never be Damed. :(

More: English honorifics :roll:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:48 pm

My Downton Abbey education is now more complete. :D :thumbup:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:21 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:48 pm

My Downton Abbey education is now more complete. :D :thumbup:
:clap:

Chuck III (born 1948), Spring chicken compared to those below.

Still down the English honorifics rabbit hole. :problem:

Sir Paul CH MBE (born 1942) MBE is step 5 above, same step as Adele. IDK why the CH is awarded on top of the MBE.

Sir Elton CH CBE (born 1947) CBE is step 3 above, 2 steps above Adele and Paul. :headscratch:

How about:

Sir Ringo MBE (born1940) oldest of this batch. :-||

Sir Rod Stewart CBE (born 1945)

Eric Clapton CBE (born 1945) Idk why Wiki doesn't call him 'Sir'. -0-?

Idk why Ringo, Rod and Eric didn't get CHs.
Idk why Ringo, Elton, Rod and Eric are 2 steps above Adele and Paul, but I'd be pissed if I was Paul. :D
All 5 of the guys would be pretty cool on stage together. Whose song would they sing? They're too old for When I'm 64. :problem:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:12 am

All 5 of the guys would be pretty cool on stage together. Whose song would they sing? They're too old for When I'm 64. :problem:
"Forever Young"?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:33 am
Vrede too wrote:

"Forever Young"?
"Old Man Look at My Life"?

O Really
Admiral

"I'm Still Standing"?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Good choices!
O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:33 am
Vrede too wrote:

"Forever Young"?
Sir Rod CBE and Bob Dylan (born 1941) NPL PMF versions.
... The structure of the lyrics in this song was similar enough to a Bob Dylan song of the same title that, after its completion, the song was then sent to Dylan, asking whether he had a problem with it. The two men agreed to participate in the ownership of the song and share Stewart's royalties....
Classy.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:14 pm
"Old Man Look at My Life"?
Old Man, Neil Percival Young OC (born 1945), a good year in a great decade for musicians. UK citizen, he could be invited, now 6 on stage.
The Order of Canada (French: Ordre du Canada) is a Canadian state order and the second-highest honour for merit in the system of orders, decorations, and medals of Canada, after the Order of Merit....
"second-highest"? :x
O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:44 pm
"I'm Still Standing"?
Sir Elton and Bernie Taupin CBE (born 1950) Wiki also doesn't call him 'Sir' :headscratch: , but he's also 2 steps above Sir Paul and Adele. :P

Still Crazy After All These Years ?
Paul Simon (born 1941) RRHoF ;)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Nobody mentioned Sir Mick Jagger, US and UK Halls of Fame. He could do "Start Me Up"