Dumb headlines thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Dumb headlines thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:33 pm
Nobody mentioned Sir Mick Jagger, US and UK Halls of Fame. He could do "Start Me Up"
Good call :doh: . 7 on stage. He's a Sir, but not a BE. Finally someone for Sir Paul to "lord" it over. I guess there's a whole different category of British honorifics. :roll:
The title of Knight Bachelor (Latin: Eques auratus, lit. 'gilded knight', abbreviated eq. aur.) is the basic rank granted to a man who has been knighted by the monarch but not inducted as a member of one of the organised orders of chivalry; it is a part of the British honours system. Knights Bachelor are the most ancient sort of British knight (the rank existed during the 13th-century reign of King Henry III), but Knights Bachelor rank below knights of chivalric orders. A man who is knighted is formally addressed as "Sir [First Name] [Surname]" or "Sir [First Name]" and his wife as "Lady [Surname]".
Were Eric and Bernie not knighted when they got their MBEs or is it just a Wiki lapse?

In the basement of Buckingham Palace there's a prim and erratic old lady deciding who gets what honor :crazy: . They say that she drinks a lot of warm beer and uses a dartboard. Sir Paul MBE has ordered a hit on her.

The rest of The Rolling Stones did not get individual British honours, not even Keith Richards. :wtf:

Found this:
The Stones' Brian Jones was the fist of the modern, scientifically questionable 27 Club ha also includes Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Alan Wilson, Janis Joplin, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Kurt Cobain, and Amy Winehouse.
... Blues musician Robert Johnson, who died in 1938, is one of the earliest popular musicians to be included in lists of 27 Club members....
27 Club graffiti in Tel Aviv depicting several well-known members of the club. Left to right: Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Kurt Cobain, and Amy Winehouse.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Nobody mentioned Sir Mick Jagger, US and UK Halls of Fame. He could do "Start Me Up"
Seeing it's King Chuckles, "Sympathy for the Devil" seems more appropriate.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:17 pm
O Really wrote:
Seeing it's King Chuckles, "Sympathy for the Devil" seems more appropriate.
:D Probably won't be Candle in the Wind 1997. :o

More:
27 Club graffiti in Tel Aviv

... (John) Kiss chose a prominent wall in the heart of Tel Aviv, on Haim Ben Atar Street. Unlike previous pieces Kiss created, he knew this piece, due to its size and intricate usage of colors and layers, could not be completed quickly, and that the police was bound to come and arrest him. Apart from heavy fines, the penalty in Israel for anyone who paints, writes, engraves or draws on private walls is up to a one-year prison sentence.

To avoid getting arrested Kiss created an elaborate cover story to explain to police officers that the work was "commissioned" by the Tel Aviv city hall's public art department. Kiss chose the holiday of Rosh Hashana, when city hall workers were in their annual vacation, as the time to execute the work and ensure that the police would be unable to reach the public art department in the city hall. To convince police that the large work was indeed commissioned, he made himself and the team wear yellow vests and yellow helmets like city hall workers. He also rented a private crane and prepared special signs to be pasted on the crane stating: "Property of the Tel Aviv Municipality."

... The police came immediately after work began on the large wall. Kiss argued convincingly, and the work was not stopped nor was the team arrested although the police arrived several times to the scene. The work took 24 hours for the team to complete. The large painting attracted an enthusiastic audience to the spot where the graffiti was created which confused the police officers....
:lol: :-|| Still there 9 years later, a "must see" for tourists.

I guess that headline isn't so Dumb, after all . . . or we are.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

"Kate Middleton Wins Spin Sprint Against Prince William In Heels"

That should be a fun pic - but noooo, it was Kate in the heels. But you knew that, didn't you?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:41 pm
"Kate Middleton Wins Spin Sprint Against Prince William In Heels"

That should be a fun pic - but noooo, it was Kate in the heels. But you knew that, didn't you?
:D More dumb - boot heels don't matter on a spin bike, they may even be an advantage over men's dress shoes.

https://people.com/royals/kate-middleto ... les-visit/
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

It's not so much the headline per se, but I've noticed a lot of listicle articles like "Things people ate in the 60's" (or 70's or whenever). Nothing wrong with that, but invariable they assigned this article to a newly minted grunt writer whose actual knowledge of past decades is from some tale his/her grandmother told. Sure, s/he can google about it, but without context they have no way of knowing if it was common or rare. Sure, Spam didn't have quite the connotation is does now, but did everybody really commonly eat it for breakfast?

They're fluff articles, intended for mindless entertainment while trying to sneak in some ads, but it's just another indication to me about how sloppy writing is, and how you can bet that if the fluff articles are written poorly with no real regard for accuracy, that the "real" articles that will eventually be part of "recorded history" are just as bad.

Peoples' individual memories are built from their own perceptions and the context of their time. Reminds me of my son when he was about 6. My pop took him out into his garden, the entire size of which was a vacant lot and he had several rows of corn. O Jr. goes "I've never been this far out in a corn field before." Actual records should be better.

Next time I run across one of those articles I'll post it.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:00 pm

They're everywhere and annoying, but not just limited to articles. YouTube and Facebook is full of the same type of clickbait but a lot of it is generated and narrated by AI.

If I paid any attention to Tik Tok I'd guess the same.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:51 pm
They're everywhere and annoying, but not just limited to articles. YouTube and Facebook is full of the same type of clickbait but a lot of it is generated and narrated by AI.

You named the reason, intentionally or not. The competition for journalists used to be other journalists - print, radio or TV. The quality varied, but at least they were other journalists. Now, the competition is also social media and blogs, not just including the dumbest journalists, but also including the dumbest of everyone. Today's "journalists" are meeting the standards of and satisfying this new marketplace. :problem:

O Really has to be more discriminating in his clicking :P . There's no fixing what's available to be clicked on.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:51 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:00 pm

I confess that occasionally I read these to see idiocy on display about food and cast iron.
I love the attacks on boomers for things that have nothing to do with the baby boom generation, especially about food and especially coming from a generation that eats out and takes out more than any other.
Erika is by far the biggest clown. Everything she doesn't like, be it from colonial times or the 1980s, she blames us boomers. One of her best is her seeming hatred of boiled peanuts. After claiming boiled nuts are inedible and anyone who would eat a boiled nut is crazy, she says that she never would and never has. Boomers are sooo....

Don't get me started on preheating skillets in the over for 10 and some say 20 minutes before use or they'll crack and never put a hot skillet in water. It's no wonder they only eat take-out, they can't cook or do dishes.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Here's one of the "things Boomers still do" lists. Some truth, mostly because of just changing habits, but mostly another writing by somebody whose grandparents are the only Boomers they've ever met

https://www.heraldweekly.com/things-bab ... l/2?xcmg=1

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:17 am
Here's one of the "things Boomers still do" lists. Some truth, mostly because of just changing habits, but mostly another writing by somebody whose grandparents are the only Boomers they've ever met

I feel a little stupider for reading half of that.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:26 am
O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:17 am

I feel a little stupider for reading half of that.
She doesn't like older people and about half of what she hates about boomers is stuff that was popular before boomers were born. My Mom made one hell of a broccoli salad.
My bet is that she has no idea about the ingredients of her favorites.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Ridiculous click-bait:
"Fans are praying for the Cavinder twins following heartbreaking announcement"

Oh shit, what happened to the Miami players/TikTok stars? Somebody have a career-ending injury? Nope.

"We had some family issues occur, so one of my people had to go back to Michigan. I'm not gonna get into all that"

Let's all pray now.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:05 pm
Ridiculous click-bait:
"Fans are praying for the Cavinder twins following heartbreaking announcement"

Oh shit, what happened to the Miami players/TikTok stars? Somebody have a career-ending injury? Nope.

"We had some family issues occur, so one of my people had to go back to Michigan. I'm not gonna get into all that"

Let's all pray now.
https://www.totalprosports.com/ncaa/cav ... evelation/

:headscratch: This issue was 2 weeks ago, they both did play in the upset of 1 Indiana and the narrow win over Oklahoma St 2 days before, family shit happens with regular students, they're millionaires that can fly whenever they want along with buying the best medical care, the family member is fine now, why are fans still "Praying", and LSU knocked Miami out in the Elite 8. Why is this news :roll: . . . and how did I let O Really's click-bait work on me :oops: ?!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

"Trump Files Charges Against Former Attorney"

No, he didn't "file charges". That's a criminal issue, done by a prosecutor. Trump filed suit against Cohen for a bunch of nothing, as he has been prone to do all his miserable life. Big difference in criminal action and civil action.

But I thought it was probably just a clueless headline writer's error. Nope. The article itself had the same language. Republican education I guess.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:41 am

No, he didn't "file charges". That's a criminal issue, done by a prosecutor. Trump filed suit against Cohen for a bunch of nothing, as he has been prone to do all his miserable life. Big difference in criminal action and civil action.

But I thought it was probably just a clueless headline writer's error. Nope. The article itself had the same language. Republican education I guess.
Dailymotion is French. Maybe just a translation flub?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Meh, trump translates to bullshit in any language.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:22 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:41 am

"Donald Trump files charges against Michael Cohen"
St. Louis Post Dispatch

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:21 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:22 pm
"Donald Trump files charges against Michael Cohen"
St. Louis Post Dispatch
The MSN page I first found the video on cites Dailymotion.
The St. Louis Post Dispatch video has "©ZMG" in the lower right corner.
This is probably TraficoZMG, a Spanish (I think) website.
TraficoZMG is associated with Dailymotion of France.

I do concede that MSN and the St. Louis Post Dispatch should have corrected the inaccurate headline, but that doesn't seem to be how re-posting works. I was just IDing a possible cause for the original inaccuracy.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:03 pm

I do concede that MSN and the St. Louis Post Dispatch should have corrected the inaccurate headline, but that doesn't seem to be how re-posting works. I was just IDing a possible cause for the original inaccuracy.
Sure but the French wouldn't excuse an English speaker so graciously for such l'abomination de la langue.