sex, lies and where was the ncaa and emmert

O Really
Admiral

Re: sex, lies and where was the ncaa and emmert

Unread post by O Really »

Must be something in the air with Michigan athletes, too. I was a (not-star, not even very good relatively) athlete in college and I don't know of anybody who would have put up with that stuff. Maybe we were less awed by authority?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:37 pm
Must be something in the air with Michigan athletes, too. I was a (not-star, not even very good relatively) athlete in college and I don't know of anybody who would have put up with that stuff. Maybe we were less awed by authority?
I would like to think the same, but there's a ton of documentation of cunning authority, tragic compliance, and even experiments where authority convinces folks to inflict pain on other people, and not just athletes, all realms of society. -0-?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:41 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:32 pm
U.S. Gymnastics, reeling from abuse scandal, files for bankruptcy

Translation: We're going to keep making money, after we further damage the abused girls.
You missed your calling. Spot on translation.
Look who else shares the blame:
Watchdog: FBI mishandled Nassar-USA Gymnastics abuse case
The FBI made significant errors in investigating sexual abuse allegations against former USA Gymnastics national team doctor Larry Nassar and didn’t treat the case with the “utmost seriousness."

... “The actions and inactions of certain FBI employees described in the Report are inexcusable and a discredit to this organization,” the agency said in a statement.

“The FBI has taken affirmative steps to ensure and has confirmed that those responsible for the misconduct and breach of trust no longer work FBI matters,” the statement said. “We will take all necessary steps to ensure that the failures of the employees outlined in the Report do not happen again.” ...
Shame on the FBI.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:41 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Translation: We're going to keep making money, after we further damage the abused girls.
The FBI made significant errors in investigating sexual abuse allegations against former USA Gymnastics national team doctor Larry Nassar and didn’t treat the case with the “utmost seriousness."

... “The actions and inactions of certain FBI employees described in the Report are inexcusable and a discredit to this organization,” the agency said in a statement.

“The FBI has taken affirmative steps to ensure and has confirmed that those responsible for the misconduct and breach of trust no longer work FBI matters,” the statement said. “We will take all necessary steps to ensure that the failures of the employees outlined in the Report do not happen again.” ...
Shame on the FBI.
wow - looks like it was pretty much all FBI and not USA Gymnastics.
Reckon agent Jay was hoping to get him some?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:09 am
Idk what could have been the agent's motivation. The article mentions that he was angling for a USOC job, but doesn't say how is inaction would have helped him get it. He didn't, anyhow.

This does make USA Gymnastics look a little better, but little girls were being horribly abused. What was their responsibility to shout about it from the mountaintops when the FBI was doing nothing? I guess the lawsuits and bankruptcy have partially answered that.

I THINK Biles may be one of the last victims to still be competing. This horribly sad chapter in US sports is coming to a close.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

OK, so the FBI was negligent. Fine. But past that, why were they the only law enforcement "working" on it? Wouldn't it also have been a state/local issue, too? Say some 15-year old girl (one not famous) gets molested by a school official. Who gets the first report? I doubt it's FBI. I'd say there's plenty of blame to go around.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:36 pm
OK, so the FBI was negligent. Fine. But past that, why were they the only law enforcement "working" on it? Wouldn't it also have been a state/local issue, too? Say some 15-year old girl (one not famous) gets molested by a school official. Who gets the first report? I doubt it's FBI. I'd say there's plenty of blame to go around.
Good questions, I also wondered. The only reference in the article doesn't really answer them:
... That special agent also told investigators that the Indianapolis field office didn’t appear to have jurisdiction to investigate because the alleged crimes did not take place in Indiana. That agent and an FBI supervisor in the office said they told Penny to contact local law enforcement — a claim contradicted by Penny and the chairman of the USA Gymnastics Board of Directors.
This speaks to the multi-state nature of the situation, but that doesn't change the fact that crimes were committed in particular states, mostly Michigan.
... He is now serving decades in prison after hundreds of girls and women said he sexually abused them under the guise of medical treatment when he worked for Michigan State and Indiana-based USA Gymnastics, which trains Olympians.
Early in the article it says:
... . Officials at USA Gymnastics also contacted FBI officials in Los Angeles in May 2016 after eight months of inactivity from agents in Indianapolis.
However, it doesn't say why Los Angeles or what came of that contact.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Bottom line - it was only girls and everyone knows young girls are hysterical.

Verde - I say this with the same sarcasm as the facetiousness intended with my earlier remark about the FBI guy, who I believe in all seriousness should be in prison for aiding in the assault on these girls.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:41 pm
Bottom line - it was only girls and everyone knows young girls are hysterical.

Verde -

Who? :P

I say this with the same sarcasm as the facetiousness intended with my earlier remark about the FBI guy,

I got your sarcasm about him, but I'm not sure it's sarcasm about the girls. That attitude may have played a role in the slowness of response.

who I believe in all seriousness should be in prison for aiding in the assault on these girls.

>>> :thumbup: <<<
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

... The scandal prompted the entire board of directors at Indianapolis-based USA Gymnastics to resign, along with the president and athletic director at Michigan State University, where Nassar also worked. The school agreed to a $500 million settlement with his victims earlier this year. In addition, three chief executives of USA Gymnastics have stepped down in the last two years amid criticism of their handling of the Nassar case. Many gymnasts who suffered abuse at Nassar's hands have accused USAG of failing to investigate earlier complaints about his misconduct....

In its bankruptcy petition, USA Gymnastics listed assets of between $50 million and $100 million and the same amount in liabilities. Among the biggest unsecured claims listed in the filing is a $340,000 severance payment for former Chief Executive Steve Penny, who resigned in March 2017 in the wake of USA Gymnastics' handling of the abuse claims against Nassar. The payment is "disputed," according to the filing....
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Shame on the FBI.
USA Gymnastics is taking a huge hit:
Nassar abuse survivors reach $380 million settlement with USA Gymnastics

USA Gymnastics and the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee have agreed to a $380 million payout to settle the lawsuit between them and the 500-plus survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse....

The settlement, one of the largest ever awarded to sexual abuse victims, marks the end of a five-year legal battle that pit many of Nassar's 500-plus victims against USA Gymnastics. Numerous survivors were in mediation with USAG, trying to receive money to pay for costly mental health treatment they need due to the sexual abuse they endured — abuse that happened on their watch.

Investigations conducted during the suit revealed that USAG had known about complaints from victims for years but declined to act on them, and when an internal investigation finally took place, complaints from gymnasts like Simone Biles were ignored. The US Olympic and Paralympic Committee (then operating as the US Olympic Committee) also knew about several Nassar sexual abuse complaints early on and also ignored them....

The specific details of the settlement are not known, so it's unclear how the $380 million will be divided. Part of that money will also be used to settle accounts with USAG's creditors, which will help bring it out of bankruptcy. Additionally, the settlement requires the USOPC to end its effort to decertify USAG as the national governing body for gymnastics, a process that was started several years ago when Nassar's abuse came to light.

There are several non-monetary reforms in the settlement as well. According to USA Today, a permanent spot on USAG's board has been reserved for a survivor of gymnastics-related abuse, whether that's Nassar or other abusive coaches. USAG will also require local clubs to put up posters with information about how to recognize and report sexual abuse. At every USAG club in the country, anyone who has contact with minors will be required to undergo Safe Sport training.

First gymnast to accuse Nassar speaks out

Former gymnast Rachel Denhollander, the first woman to come forward and publicly accuse Nassar of sexual abuse, tweeted that she's especially proud of the non-monetary reforms in the settlement, since she knows the hard work that went into getting them done. However, she also said that the future of USAG and those reforms depend on the people involved, and she hopes that the USOPC and USAG will work with survivors going forward.

I guess USAG gets to survive. I wonder where it's finding the $380 million.
No mention of anyone suing the NCAA. Idk why not.
No mention of anyone suing the FBI. Maybe the scathing it just got in Congress is all that can be done. :problem:

$500 million - Michigan State University
Plus $380 million - USAG and USOPC
= $880 million
Minus, say, $10 million for USAG's other creditors, could be more
= $870 million
Minus 40% ($348 million) for the lawyers. I thought the standard is 30%, but recently heard 40%.
= $522 million
If divided equally (it won't be) among 501 (probably more) victims, that would be $1.4 million each.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Let this be a lesson to all.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:14 pm
That would be nice, but if it really worked that way USAG, MSU and the FBI would have learned from the Catholic Church. :(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:14 pm
Longtime NCAA president Mark Emmert announces resignation

:clap:
... "Today, NCAA Board of Governors Chair John J. DeGioia announced by mutual agreement with the board that Mark Emmert will be stepping down as president of the NCAA," the statement reads. "He will continue to serve in his role until a new president is selected and in place or until June 30, 2023."

Emmert has overseen a tumultuous 12-year tenure with the NCAA since being hired as president in 2010, marked by his resistance to changing an outdated amateurism model that refuses to pay players in a billion-dollar industry. The NCAA extended his contract last year through 2025. It wasn't immediately clear on Tuesday what precisely prompted his early departure....
June 2023?! :puke-left:

This short article doesn't mention gymnastics, but perhaps other ones do or will.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:58 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

... The scandal prompted the entire board of directors at Indianapolis-based USA Gymnastics to resign, along with the president and athletic director at Michigan State University, where Nassar also worked. The school agreed to a $500 million settlement with his victims earlier this year. In addition, three chief executives of USA Gymnastics have stepped down in the last two years amid criticism of their handling of the Nassar case. Many gymnasts who suffered abuse at Nassar's hands have accused USAG of failing to investigate earlier complaints about his misconduct....

In its bankruptcy petition, USA Gymnastics listed assets of between $50 million and $100 million and the same amount in liabilities. Among the biggest unsecured claims listed in the filing is a $340,000 severance payment for former Chief Executive Steve Penny, who resigned in March 2017 in the wake of USA Gymnastics' handling of the abuse claims against Nassar. The payment is "disputed," according to the filing....
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Shame on the FBI.
USA Gymnastics is taking a huge hit:
Nassar abuse survivors reach $380 million settlement with USA Gymnastics

USA Gymnastics and the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee have agreed to a $380 million payout to settle the lawsuit between them and the 500-plus survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse....

The settlement, one of the largest ever awarded to sexual abuse victims, marks the end of a five-year legal battle that pit many of Nassar's 500-plus victims against USA Gymnastics. Numerous survivors were in mediation with USAG, trying to receive money to pay for costly mental health treatment they need due to the sexual abuse they endured — abuse that happened on their watch.

Investigations conducted during the suit revealed that USAG had known about complaints from victims for years but declined to act on them, and when an internal investigation finally took place, complaints from gymnasts like Simone Biles were ignored. The US Olympic and Paralympic Committee (then operating as the US Olympic Committee) also knew about several Nassar sexual abuse complaints early on and also ignored them....

The specific details of the settlement are not known, so it's unclear how the $380 million will be divided. Part of that money will also be used to settle accounts with USAG's creditors, which will help bring it out of bankruptcy. Additionally, the settlement requires the USOPC to end its effort to decertify USAG as the national governing body for gymnastics, a process that was started several years ago when Nassar's abuse came to light.

There are several non-monetary reforms in the settlement as well. According to USA Today, a permanent spot on USAG's board has been reserved for a survivor of gymnastics-related abuse, whether that's Nassar or other abusive coaches. USAG will also require local clubs to put up posters with information about how to recognize and report sexual abuse. At every USAG club in the country, anyone who has contact with minors will be required to undergo Safe Sport training.

First gymnast to accuse Nassar speaks out

Former gymnast Rachel Denhollander, the first woman to come forward and publicly accuse Nassar of sexual abuse, tweeted that she's especially proud of the non-monetary reforms in the settlement, since she knows the hard work that went into getting them done. However, she also said that the future of USAG and those reforms depend on the people involved, and she hopes that the USOPC and USAG will work with survivors going forward.

I guess USAG gets to survive. I wonder where it's finding the $380 million.
No mention of anyone suing the NCAA. Idk why not.
No mention of anyone suing the FBI. Maybe the scathing it just got in Congress is all that can be done. :problem:

$500 million - Michigan State University
Plus $380 million - USAG and USOPC
= $880 million
Minus, say, $10 million for USAG's other creditors, could be more
= $870 million
Minus 40% ($348 million) for the lawyers. I thought the standard is 30%, but recently heard 40%.
= $522 million
If divided equally (it won't be) among 501 (probably more) victims, that would be $1.4 million each.
Don't lawyers themselves, or by court order, typically reduce fees in these huge settlements to 15% or 20%?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:16 pm
Don't lawyers themselves, or by court order, typically reduce fees in these huge settlements to 15% or 20%?
-0-?
O Really?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:31 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:16 pm
-0-?
O Really?
Depending on the state and other factors, but often yes.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:48 pm
Thanks. Cool, that could increase the average payout to each victim by around $350K, and $174M is still a ton of money for the lawyers.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:52 pm
O Really wrote:
Thanks. Cool, that could increase the average payout to each victim by around $350K, and $174M is still a ton of money for the lawyers.
A pool playing happy hour buddy made some crazy money on the silicone breast implant suit. I believe that he was the lead attorney on a 2 billion dollar suit.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:
Everything becomes negotiable the closer you get to the end.

From my advice corner.

Don't let the Realtors walk away with their full commission.
1) during negotiations, involve the Realtor when you are a few thousand apart.
2) if the appraisal or your qualifications are lacking a little, turn to the Realtor.
3) I love this one. When buying bank owned property, especially from an out of state bank, make the 1st offer a little high with a 20 to 30 day period for a feasibility study. On the next to last day tell them that repairs are much more than expected and offer them 30% less than they have been expecting for the past 3 or 4 weeks. It usually works.

4) these tips only works in a Buyer's market.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:16 am
Vrede too wrote:
A pool playing happy hour buddy made some crazy money on the silicone breast implant suit. I believe that he was the lead attorney on a 2 billion dollar suit.
Ah. I read the first sentence and thought your "buddy" had breast implants, nttawwt.

Justice Department won't charge agents who disregarded Larry Nassar allegations

Idk if criminal charges are warranted, but the victims are probably disappointed. Maybe their lawsuit will be a winner, and we can hope that shaming follows the 2 FBI agents for the rest of their lives.
1312. ETTD.