College baseball

Post Reply
User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: College baseball

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:22 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:47 am
Oh yeah
1st inning looked rough. They scored 4 on our 3 pitchers.

7-5

Game 2 tomorrow
:happy-cheerleaderkid:

No Game 3, No Game 3, No Game 3!
I wonder how they determine Home Team
OS is Home in Game 1 and, if needed, in Game 3
Auburn is Home Team tonight for Game 2.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52181
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: College baseball

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:20 pm
I wonder how they determine Home Team
OS is Home in Game 1 and, if needed, in Game 3
Auburn is Home Team tonight for Game 2.
Thanks. I wondered if they might do that to make is a little more fair.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: College baseball

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:21 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:20 pm
I wonder how they determine Home Team
OS is Home in Game 1 and, if needed, in Game 3
Auburn is Home Team tonight for Game 2.
Thanks. I wondered if they might do that to make is a little more fair.
I know they alternate, I wonder who gets 1st home.

This pisses me off. Never, ever would Auburn allow this to happen to an opponent.

The team is staying 70 miles from the ballpark.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/aubur ... -ballpark/
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52181
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: College baseball

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:44 pm
I know they alternate, I wonder who gets 1st home.

This pisses me off. Never, ever would Auburn allow this to happen to an opponent.

The team is staying 70 miles from the ballpark.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/aubur ... -ballpark/
The higher seed gets the series at home and 1st home, which makes sense to me.

The media guys had to get hotel space an hour away, too. Maybe something else is going on in town. You'd think that a college town would have plenty of rooms. Is school out yet? If so, they could have used dorm rooms. Anyhow, these days your boys just use the drives to catch up on their emails and texts. Ah, here we go:
It's just happenstance that the Beavers got some home games on the same weekend.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: College baseball

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:10 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:44 pm
I know they alternate, I wonder who gets 1st home.

This pisses me off. Never, ever would Auburn allow this to happen to an opponent.

The team is staying 70 miles from the ballpark.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/aubur ... -ballpark/
The higher seed gets the series at home and 1st home, which makes sense to me.

The media guys had to get hotel space an hour away, too. Maybe something else is going on in town. You'd think that a college town would have plenty of rooms. Is school out yet? If so, they could have used dorm rooms. Anyhow, these days your boys just use the drives to catch up on their emails and texts. Ah, here we go:
It's just happenstance that the Beavers got some home games on the same weekend.
Auburn is/ or was an even smaller town and there's no way that they would host an event without securing accommodations for the opponent.

No way to know if it was willful or plain incompetence, but it smacks of trying to set an unfair advantage.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52181
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: College baseball

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:28 pm
Auburn is/ or was an even smaller town and there's no way that they would host an event without securing accommodations for the opponent.

No way to know if it was willful or plain incompetence, but it smacks of trying to set an unfair advantage.
OSU didn't know they were hosting until the very last minute - 1 or 2 runs I think you said.

It's a little inconvenient, but they've got bus drivers, get to bed by MN and don't have to leave for the next game until 4 pm or so.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: College baseball

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:38 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:28 pm
Auburn is/ or was an even smaller town and there's no way that they would host an event without securing accommodations for the opponent.

No way to know if it was willful or plain incompetence, but it smacks of trying to set an unfair advantage.
OSU didn't know they were hosting until the very last minute - 1 or 2 runs I think you said.

It's a little inconvenient, but they've got bus drivers, get to bed by MN and don't have to leave for the next game until 4 pm or so.
They knew they were in line to host. Not every team hosted. You can see it in the brackets, but the only way OS would not have hosted would be if they lost and eliminated.

idk if poor planning or if it is deliberate blue field cowbell 12th man bullshit, but whatever it it, it's well below today's college sport standards.
It way funny 128 years ago when Auburn students greased the railroad tracks and GT players had to walk 5 miles, but making opponents spend 3 hours per day on a bus is plain wrong.

I'll be rooting for the Ducks next year - that'll teach 'em a lesson.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52181
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: College baseball

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:06 pm
They knew they were in line to host. Not every team hosted. You can see it in the brackets, but the only way OS would not have hosted would be if they lost and eliminated.

idk if poor planning or if it is deliberate blue field cowbell 12th man bullshit, but whatever it it, it's well below today's college sport standards.
It way funny 128 years ago when Auburn students greased the railroad tracks and GT players had to walk 5 miles, but making opponents spend 3 hours per day on a bus is plain wrong.

I'll be rooting for the Ducks next year - that'll teach 'em a lesson.
Oregon highways, might be closer to 2 hours per day. No dorm rooms yet and Commencement had been planned for a year or more. Then, OSU would not have known its seeding until late May, and that it would beat Vandy until June 5. What space were the Beavers supposed to reserve based on their high hopes when they knew that hotels would be available just an hour away?

Auburn doesn't have the same issues. Even if the dorms were still full and all the hotel rooms in town were taken, there would still be space in the motels along I-85 or in Columbus, GA 36 miles away.

GO Ducks!

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: College baseball

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:58 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:06 pm
They knew they were in line to host. Not every team hosted. You can see it in the brackets, but the only way OS would not have hosted would be if they lost and eliminated.

idk if poor planning or if it is deliberate blue field cowbell 12th man bullshit, but whatever it it, it's well below today's college sport standards.
It way funny 128 years ago when Auburn students greased the railroad tracks and GT players had to walk 5 miles, but making opponents spend 3 hours per day on a bus is plain wrong.

I'll be rooting for the Ducks next year - that'll teach 'em a lesson.
Oregon highways, might be closer to 2 hours per day. No dorm rooms yet and Commencement had been planned for a year or more. Then, OSU would not have known its seeding until late May, and that it would beat Vandy until June 5. What space were the Beavers supposed to reserve based on their high hopes when they knew that hotels would be available just an hour away?

Auburn doesn't have the same issues. Even if the dorms were still full and all the hotel rooms in town were taken, there would still be space in the motels along I-85 or in Columbus, GA 36 miles away.

GO Ducks!
idk, but the article says 90 minutes one way.

Outplayed, so on to game 3. We were lucky the score wasn't worse. They had 9 hits to our 5.

Our outfield made 2 highlight reel diving catches - 2nd inning I think.

Edit:

https://youtu.be/OiCCqNf4wmY

At minute 4:15 and 4:55 - if these hits had been even an inch more out of reach things could have been embarrassing for Auburn. Instead, there were 2 amazing catches.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52181
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: College baseball

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:56 am
idk, but the article says 90 minutes one way.

Outplayed, so on to game 3. We were lucky the score wasn't worse. They had 9 hits to our 5.

Our outfield made 2 highlight reel diving catches - 2nd inning I think.

Edit:

https://youtu.be/OiCCqNf4wmY

At minute 4:15 and 4:55 - if these hits had been even an inch more out of reach things could have been embarrassing for Auburn. Instead, there were 2 amazing catches.
Okay, 3 hours per day.

Nice catches, thanks. I didn't tune in until the boring innings.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52181
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: College baseball

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:56 am
... Outplayed, so on to game 3. We were lucky the score wasn't worse. They had 9 hits to our 5....
3-4, ouch. Must have been the bus ride. Started 1930 EDT, ESPN2.

GO Stanford!

Golf question

User avatar
O Really
Admiral
Posts: 21711
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: College baseball

Unread post by O Really »

Google says it's a little over an hour from Corvallis to Wilsonville - in any case it's almost all on the 5, which is about as smooth a ride as an interstate gets. And then it's not like they made reservations way in advance or were just reserving a couple of rooms. Inconvenient for sure, but not that big a deal overall.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52181
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: College baseball

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:19 am
... Outplayed, so on to game 3. We were lucky the score wasn't worse. They had 9 hits to our 5....
LOL, who needs hits when you're a War Damn Eagle? Top 7th, 2 hits, 4-1. :clap:

Edit: Opps, sorry about the jinx. Bottom 7th, 4-3, no outs.
Edit: Coulda been even worse, whew.
Edit:
:happy-cheerleaderkid:

Burkhalter is a helluva reliever - brought in at just the right time, 8 batters, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K.

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: College baseball

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

On to Omaha
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52181
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: College baseball

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:54 pm
On to Omaha
Weird place to play Ole Miss.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52181
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: College baseball

Unread post by Vrede too »

Bracket 1, meh
Go Notre Dame or 9 Texas > Oklahoma or 5 Texas A&M

Bracket 2
Go 2 Stanford (sorry) > 14 Auburn > Arkansas or Ole Miss

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/baseball/d1/2022/cws

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: College baseball

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:16 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:54 pm
On to Omaha
Weird place to play Ole Miss.
Omaha is always the site for the College World Series (final 8 teams). I'm reasonably fairly sorta sure.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
billy.pilgrim
Admiral
Posts: 15632
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: College baseball

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:49 pm


Bracket 2
Go 2 Stanford (sorry) > 14 Auburn
I look forward to enjoying your disappointment.

WDE
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 52181
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: College baseball

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:21 am
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:16 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:54 pm
On to Omaha
Weird place to play Ole Miss.
Omaha is always the site for the College World Series (final 8 teams). I'm reasonably fairly sorta sure.
Understood. I was joking, but might this be the farthest the 2 teams have ever traveled to play each other?

Go Cardinal, that WDE is really a chicken.

User avatar
O Really
Admiral
Posts: 21711
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: College baseball

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:01 am

Understood. I was joking, but might this be the farthest the 2 teams have ever traveled to play each other?
In more ways than geography.

Post Reply