The Supremes

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Whack9
Commander

Re: The Supremes

Unread post by Whack9 »

Regulations aren't all bad. Regulations are often there for a reason, oftentimes to protect "we the people" from those who would otherwise not give a second thought to putting the lives of "we the people" in danger for profit.

Like it or not, our actions affect others. If a river flows through my property, but downstream others rely on the same river, dumping harmful chemicals in the river is going to have an impact on others downstream that also rely upon the water.

Those that argue against regulations will say that we ought to let the market decide; companies that cause pain and suffering will go under because people will vote with their wallets and go elsewhere. But what they ignore is much of the damage has already been done by that point in time.

You can tell people are brainwashed beyond redemption when many people barely scraping by argue against regulations in favor of giant multi billion dollar conglomerates because it's "good for the economy".
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:38 pm
Regulations aren't all bad. Regulations are often there for a reason, oftentimes to protect "we the people" from those who would otherwise not give a second thought to putting the lives of "we the people" in danger for profit....
In fact, heaps of regs were put in place at the request of business, either to protect it from other nasty businesses or to prevent having to compete with unfair or unethical business practices. For example, most professional licensing is the result of businesses wanting to protect their entire trade from being sullied by incompetent and unscrupulous practitioners.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:19 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Regulations aren't all bad. Regulations are often there for a reason, oftentimes to protect "we the people" from those who would otherwise not give a second thought to putting the lives of "we the people" in danger for profit....
In fact, heaps of regs were put in place at the request of business, either to protect it from other nasty businesses or to prevent having to compete with unfair or unethical business practices. For example, most professional licensing is the result of businesses wanting to protect their entire trade from being sullied by incompetent and unscrupulous practitioners.
You bring up an interesting point. Are we headed to a future where I can hang a shingle and call myself doctor?

Where is the line drawn?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:19 pm
Whack9 wrote:
More egregious are rules written by industry that can be used in court or to prevent lawsuits - say bp 2010 Horizons disaster. They were in full compliance with the regulations they presented for licensing to do whatever they wanted in the Gulf of Mexico as their plan required them to protect the walrus and sea lions.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:12 pm
You bring up an interesting point. Are we headed to a future where I can hang a shingle and call myself doctor?

Where is the line drawn?
Not quite yet, but anyone can become POTUS, literally anyone.

I watched Ketanji Brown Jackson "solemnly swear (to) support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; ..."

Hey Justice Jackson, SYG! :twisted:

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

:---P. And sadly, too true.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:21 am
Bad link. This is what you originally linked:
https://hartmannreport.com/p/the-suprem ... -preparing

The Supreme Court has Lit Our Planet on Fire
The SCOTUS has used it's ill-gotten power on behalf of the fossil fuel industry to cripple America’s ability to meet the challenge of climate change
The libertarians have won. All Hail the new feudalism.

E.P.A. Ruling Is Milestone in Long Pushback to Regulation of Business https://nyti.ms/3Ai6QKb
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2022/7/1 ... d-abortion

A 10 year old rape victim ID denied an abortion.

"This past Monday, a child abuse doctor in Ohio had a 10-year old rape victim in her office. She is six weeks and three days pregnant. She was obviously terrified, and instead of helping her, Ohio legislators turned on her. As soon as SCOTUS overturned Roe v. Wade, Ohio outlawed all abortion after six weeks. The child discovered she was pregnant three days too late. There was no longer any access to an abortion clinic in the state, and there were no exceptions made for child rape. Even if there was a doctor who would take pity on this horrible situation, the doctor would be taking an extreme risk of prosecution—along with possibly the child.

The child abuse doctor called a colleague in Indiana and begged to take her in. For now, abortion is legal in Indiana, so the gynecologist agreed and the girl was sent to Indiana. This won’t be an option soon. The state of Indiana, unfortunately, is convening a special session in three weeks to discuss banning the procedure. Most people expect it to pass quickly in their Republican legislature."

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:02 am
This country has lost it's fucking mind.

Ohio is set to pass legislation that creates a crime for anyone assisting those trying to get an abortion. It’s sponsored by one of the worst people in politics, Rep. Jean Schmidt, who’s been nicknamed “Mean Jean” by Ohioans. Schmidt, a Cincinnati Republican legislator, said there should be no exceptions for rape or incest—and even disgustingly said there is “opportunity” to be had with a pregnancy that is conceived in rape.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:14 am
Signed.
815,000 now.

https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/clare ... as-must-go
Done, thanks.

Prosecutor on TV: Women and girls that were raped and did not report it immediately will have to choose between reporting the rape and an abortion because doing both will mean prosecution for the latter.

I'm not sure which state/s he was discussing.

:angry-cussing:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

A few days ago I read a story about how Israel eased its abortion regulations right after Roe was overturned. I laughed out loud while wondering what the "Christian" Taliban would think of it since they have Israel so far up their ass. Apparently Jewish law does not recognize a fetus as a separate being and the Old Testament part of the bible also does not. It just made me think about how silent the "Christian" Taliban will be about this. This is not the same article I read earlier but it's another account of the Israeli action.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... e-85799558

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:17 am
A few days ago I read a story about how Israel eased its abortion regulations right after Roe was overturned. I laughed out loud while wondering what the "Christian" Taliban would think of it since they have Israel so far up their ass. Apparently Jewish law does not recognize a fetus as a separate being and the Old Testament part of the bible also does not. It just made me think about how silent the "Christian" Taliban will be about this. This is not the same article I read earlier but it's another account of the Israeli action.

Thanks. Interesting that they liberalize their internal policy in rapid and direct response to ours. Israel is a long ways to go for an 'abortion vacation', but it's nice to know that it might be an option.
What the Bible says about
Abortion

Abortion is not murder. A fetus is not considered a human life.
The Bible places no value on fetuses or infants less than one month old.
Fetuses and infants less than one month old are not considered persons.
God sometimes approves of killing fetuses.
God sometimes kills newborn babies to punish their parents.
God sometimes causes abortions by cursing unfaithful wives.
God's law sometimes requires the execution (by burning to death) of pregnant women.
The Psalmist prays that his enemies are aborted.
All OT. There's apparently no specific contradiction of these in the NT. There's also this elaboration in the OT:

The Bible's guide to abortion

In fact, Wiki:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:09 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:17 am

Thanks. Interesting that they liberalize their internal policy in rapid and direct response to ours. Israel is a long ways to go for an 'abortion vacation', but it's nice to know that it might be an option.
What the Bible says about
Abortion

Abortion is not murder. A fetus is not considered a human life.
The Bible places no value on fetuses or infants less than one month old.
Fetuses and infants less than one month old are not considered persons.
God sometimes approves of killing fetuses.
God sometimes kills newborn babies to punish their parents.
God sometimes causes abortions by cursing unfaithful wives.
God's law sometimes requires the execution (by burning to death) of pregnant women.
The Psalmist prays that his enemies are aborted.
All OT. There's apparently no specific contradiction of these in the NT. There's also this elaboration in the OT:

The Bible's guide to abortion

In fact, Wiki:
My sister's daughter lost twins before birth a couple of years ago. I think I've mentioned before that sister and her husband are rabid right wing nutjobs; she carries her pistol everywhere and her husband quit his high dollar decades long job at CIba Geigy last year when the company initiated a vaccine mandate. I wonder if sister is aware that god will now and again stomp babies or pregnant women as a matter of his law or just to punish the baby's parents. And here's the punch line......my niece who lost the twins was married to a black guy who lived with her a couple of years and then left her when she was pregnant. I never heard sister or brother in law complain that their daughter married a black guy but I would bet anything that it initiated a feverish bout of prayer, wringing hands, and solemn perpetual angst and worry. But I do wonder if sister considers it to have been "god's work" all along. I'm not going to ask her. I didn't even call her on her birthday last month because last year she never answered nor called back when I left a message on her last birthday. Oh, one of the last times we had a conversation she told me that she'd adopted a "minimalist" lifestyle as far as house furnishing and decor.....they live in a $650K house.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:57 am
My sister's daughter lost twins before birth a couple of years ago. I think I've mentioned before that sister and her husband are rabid right wing nutjobs; she carries her pistol everywhere and her husband quit his high dollar decades long job at Ciba Geigy last year when the company initiated a vaccine mandate.

... I do wonder if sister considers it to have been "god's work" all along. I'm not going to ask her....
That's too bad for your niece, and it's a shame that you're estranged from your sister.

"We can't know the mind of God," right? However, the faithful can see her/his works. Believers must admit that every spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) - around 30% to 50% of all fertilizations! - is at the hands of god, the Abortionist in Chief, often with the assistance of the polluters, racists and fat cats that RepuQs worship.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Too bad and a shame. That about covers the US Supreme Court. Sister can always repent but I won't count on it.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:43 pm
Too bad and a shame. That about covers the US Supreme Court. Sister can always repent but I won't count on it.
I have a sister like that.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:30 am
neoplacebo wrote:
It's weird, ain't it? Mine has been a sort of religious fanatic since about 1998 but since trump came along she's gone full Christian fascist. I've more than once pointed out to her that trump is pretty much the opposite of what she says she bases her life on but she just ignores that fact. As far as I'm concerned, willful ignorance is one of the most basic of sins.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:36 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:30 am
neoplacebo wrote:
It's weird, ain't it? Mine has been a sort of religious fanatic since about 1998 but since trump came along she's gone full Christian fascist. I've more than once pointed out to her that trump is pretty much the opposite of what she says she bases her life on but she just ignores that fact. As far as I'm concerned, willful ignorance is one of the most basic of sins.
Mine married a multimillionaire who has never had a job. They used to watch fox all day, everyday, but I imagine they have moved deeper into the trump cult by now.
They call themselves Job Creators.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

You guys make me even more grateful to have been an only child.