The Supremes

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Supremes

Unread post by Vrede too »

Supreme Court rebuffs U.S. veteran's disability case, one conservative justice dissenting

I'm inclined to agree with SCOTUS in continuing to give federal agencies wide latitude in interpreting laws. The alternative is grinding government to a halt while the non-expert courts examine every tiny detail of regulation. Only Neil Gorsuch dissented.

However, this being a case involving an Air Force veteran's bid to reinstate disability benefits made me curious about the court's military service:
Chief Justice John Roberts - con, no military service
Corrupt Clarence Thomas - con, no military service
Samuel Alito - con, low lottery number avoided Vietnam, Army Reserve, active duty for 4 months in 1975 while attending the Signal Officer Basic Course
Sonia Sotomayor - lib, no military service
Elena Kagan - lib, no military service
Neil Gorsuch - con, no military service, chickenhawk supporter of the Gulf War
Brett "Boof" Kavanaugh - con, no military service
Cultist Amy Coney Barrett - con, no military service
Ketanji Brown Jackson - lib, no military service

Alito sort of served, but not a single combat vet. This is particularly ironic with 5 out of 6 cons being male and the GQP being the self-professed pro-military party.
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:00 pm
Supreme Court rebuffs U.S. veteran's disability case, one conservative justice dissenting

I'm inclined to agree with SCOTUS in continuing to give federal agencies wide latitude in interpreting laws. The alternative is grinding government to a halt while the non-expert courts examine every tiny detail of regulation. Only Neil Gorsuch dissented.

However, this being a case involving an Air Force veteran's bid to reinstate disability benefits made me curious about the court's military service:
Chief Justice John Roberts - con, no military service
Corrupt Clarence Thomas - con, no military service
Samuel Alito - con, low lottery number avoided Vietnam, Army Reserve, active duty for 4 months in 1975 while attending the Signal Officer Basic Course
Sonia Sotomayor - lib, no military service
Elena Kagan - lib, no military service
Neil Gorsuch - con, no military service, chickenhawk supporter of the Gulf War
Brett "Boof" Kavanaugh - con, no military service
Cultist Amy Coney Barrett - con, no military service
Ketanji Brown Jackson - lib, no military service

Alito sort of served, but not a single combat vet. This is particularly ironic with 5 out of 6 cons being male and the GQP being the self-professed pro-military party.
Same as their presidents and vice presidents with an exception or two.
As Trump said and as cheney acted - service is for losers, not those with money and things to do.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:13 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... Brett "Boof" Kavanaugh - con, no military service ...

As Trump said and as cheney acted - service is for losers, not those with money and things to do.
Good point.

Aside: "Boof" is a word that's disallowed by the Yahoo auto-censor. :lol:

It was okay for the Jesuit Georgetown Prep (Bethesda, Maryland - homey!) yearbook, though.

Brett Kavanaugh’s questionable definitions of “boof” and “Devil’s Triangle,” explained
He says “boofing” is about farting and “Devil’s Triangle” is a drinking game. Many people don’t believe him.

We have a Boof Kavanaugh thread.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:30 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:13 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... Brett "Boof" Kavanaugh - con, no military service ...

Good point.

Aside: "Boof" is a word that's disallowed by the Yahoo auto-censor. :lol:

It was okay for the Jesuit Georgetown Prep (Bethesda, Maryland - homey!) yearbook, though.

Brett Kavanaugh’s questionable definitions of “boof” and “Devil’s Triangle,” explained
He says “boofing” is about farting and “Devil’s Triangle” is a drinking game. Many people don’t believe him.

We have a Boof Kavanaugh thread.
the definition was changed immediately before the hearing.

It appears that the right wing spin machine understands how to temporarily change meanings in Wikipedia.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:41 pm

It appears that the right wing spin machine understands how to temporarily change meanings in Wikipedia.
It was temporarily changed in Wikipedia? I didn't know that.

Currently, there's:
Alcohol enema
"also known ... as butt-chugging" :lol: This was probably Kavanaugh reference given all of his other boozing references.

But, there's also:
Rectal administration (of a drug)
It's cited in the Wiki search but "boof" and "boofing" are not found in the article. :headscratch:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:02 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:41 pm

It was temporarily changed in Wikipedia? I didn't know that.

Currently, there's:
Alcohol enema
"also known ... as butt-chugging" :lol: This was probably Kavanaugh reference given all of his other boozing references.

But, there's also:
Rectal administration (of a drug)
It's cited in the Wiki search but "boof" and "boofing" are not found in the article. :headscratch:
Maybe they had to dissappear the boof word.

I read during the hearings that there had been a large number of people who challenged the actual definition and by Wikipedia rules, the definition was removed until it could be verified.
Of course I don't know enough about Wikipedia to say this could be done, but it sure sounds republican.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:24 pm
Maybe they had to disappear the boof word.

I read during the hearings that there had been a large number of people who challenged the actual definition and by Wikipedia rules, the definition was removed until it could be verified.
Of course I don't know enough about Wikipedia to say this could be done, but it sure sounds republican.
-0-? I failed at dictionary.com, that's why I used the Urban Dictionary in my OP. I hadn't even thought of checking Wiki.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:30 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:24 pm
Maybe they had to disappear the boof word.

-0-? I failed at dictionary.com, that's why I used the Urban Dictionary in my OP. I hadn't even thought of checking Wiki.
They used Wikipedia in the hearing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:35 pm
They used Wikipedia in the hearing.
Ah, thanks. Smart of them, wasn't it?

The Supreme Court’s Hands Are All Over The 2022 Midterm Election Results

If Republicans win control of the House by just a handful of seats or less, they will owe their slim majority to the Republican-appointed justices on the Supreme Court.

In a series of election law cases, including one yet to be decided, the court’s conservative justices authorized partisan gerrymandering and effectively gutted the Voting Rights Act’s protections against racially discriminatory redistricting. These decisions led directly to an increase in congressional districts gerrymandered to favor Republicans and decreased the number of Black-majority seats that would have favored Democrats following the 2020 census.

In effect, the conservative justices put a thumb on the scale in favor of the political party that appointed and confirmed them.

“If we end up with a very narrow Republican majority in the House, I think it can very fairly be said that the Republican justices on the court like Alito and Thomas are much more the fathers of this majority than Kevin McCarthy or anybody else,” said Brian Fallon, executive director of Demand Justice, a liberal judicial activist group....
This is not just about support for the GQP. It's naked promotion of evangelical White supremacy. I'm looking at you, too, Clarence.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

He's still thanking them for changing the Wikipedia definition of booking live in real time during the confirmation hearings

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Nixon only dreamed of shit like this.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:19 pm
Nixon only dreamed of shit like this.
I still don't understand why Biden didn't increase the court.

At least one of trump's justices should have been Obama’s.

Biden continues to look the coward

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:59 pm
I still don't understand why Biden didn't increase the court....
Manchin, Sinema and perhaps others.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:59 pm
... At least one of trump's justices should have been Obama’s....
Your good buddy Garland?

Biden outpacing Trump, Obama with diverse judicial nominees

... So far, 97 lifetime federal judges have been confirmed under Biden, a figure that outpaces both Trump (85) and Barack Obama (62) at this point in their presidencies, according to data from the White House and the office of Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer. D-N.Y. The 97 from the Biden presidency includes Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, that court's first Black woman, as well as 28 circuit court judges and 68 district court judges.

Three out of every four judges tapped by Biden and confirmed by the Senate in the past two years were women. About two-thirds were people of color. The Biden list includes 11 Black women to the powerful circuit courts, more than those installed under all previous presidents combined. There were also 11 former public defenders named to the circuit courts, also more than all of Biden's predecessors combined....

Democrats hope to speed up the tempo of confirmations next year, a goal more easily accomplished by a 51-49 Senate that will give them a slim majority on committees. In the past two years, votes on some of Biden's more contested judicial nominees would deadlock in committee votes, requiring more procedural steps that ate up valuable Senate floor time....

“Trump loaded up the bench with hard right ‘MAGA’ type judges who are not only out of step with the American people, they were even out of step with the Republican Party,” Schumer said in an interview, using shorthand for Trump's 2016 campaign slogan, “Make America Great Again.”

Schumer added: “We had a mission, it’s not just a predilection. It was a mission to try and redress that balance.”

(lots more analysis and predictions) ...
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Five takeaways from the Supreme Court’s leak investigation

"unable to identify who was responsible."

My takeaways, with the help of MSNBC pundits:

Everyone knows the why - Stopping Barrett and/or "Boof" Kavanaugh from joining a Roberts compromise;
Lots of people know the who - Alito or someone close to him;
SCOTUS cons deliberately created a tepid in-house "investigation", one without subpoena power and that never even talked to the "justices";
This "report" finalizes the coverup.

Trump calls for jailing journalists who broke Supreme Court’s draft abortion decision

Dolt .45 is clueless that the leaker is part of his con team, and the fascist also FAILS Shield Law and the 1st Amendment.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:53 pm

Dolt .45 is clueless that the leaker is part of his con team, and the fascist also FAILS Shield Law and the 1st Amendment.
Fixed it for you.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:06 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:53 pm

Dolt .45 is clueless
Fixed it for you.
:D :thumbup:

Fixed it for us.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

This is so wrong.

The Supremes are the only branch of government with no accountability.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:35 am
This is so wrong.

The Supremes are the only branch of government with no accountability.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamKinzinge ... 1665340418
You beat me to it, thanks. Great to see that former US Rep Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) is still fighting for govt ethics. Same topic, different article:

Clarence Thomas accepted luxury gifts from GOP megadonor for decades without disclosing them: report

Clarence is the most corrupt current SCOTUS justice and likely one of the most corrupt ever.
Then, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Barrett have been corrupted by the anonymous donors backing the "Judicial Crisis Network".
This is how the America-hating modern GQP is.

Meanwhile, when a judge is not corrupted this is what RepuQs do:

Trump judge and his family receive threats after New York arrest

Disgusting GQP.
1312. ETTD.