College football

O Really
Admiral

Re: College football

Unread post by O Really »

We all await with bated breath.
I guess Freeze has already departed the building. There really ought to be severe additional penalties for a coach that actually leaves his team before year-end. Not the part about accepting another coaching job at a different school, but physically leaving before season end.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:18 am
I guess Freeze has already departed the building. There really ought to be severe additional penalties for a coach that actually leaves his team before year-end. Not the part about accepting another coaching job at a different school, but physically leaving before season end.

Couldn't that be in their contract?

Wouldn't primetime Neon dion leaving with pretty much all the staff and players have a bigger negative impact.

And scottie frost not only took his entire staff, but announced his deal to leave ucf during the regular season.

And what? You think auburn should sit quietly without a coach during the best recruiting period of the year seems more than a little harsh.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:03 pm
O Really wrote:

And what? You think auburn should sit quietly without a coach during the best recruiting period of the year seems more than a little harsh.
I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good point. Somehow it just seems changes ought to be made between seasons, but I guess that's not really practical. Or maybe make the coaches sit out a season like they used to do the players who changed schools. That would be fun.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
... And what? You think auburn should sit quietly without a coach during the best recruiting period of the year seems more than a little harsh.
What's the reason that recruiting, transfers and coach moves can't all be delayed until after the Bowls?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:29 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
... And what? You think auburn should sit quietly without a coach during the best recruiting period of the year seems more than a little harsh.
What's the reason that recruiting, transfers and coach moves can't all be delayed until after the Bowls?
ncaa?, but auburn is simply playing by the same rules that everyone else uses.
It's interesting that both Neon dion and Scott frost completely dismantled the teams they left far worse than what Freeze did, but I must have missed those complaints.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:11 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:

I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good point. Somehow it just seems changes ought to be made between seasons, but I guess that's not really practical. Or maybe make the coaches sit out a season like they used to do the players who changed schools. That would be fun.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:45 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:11 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:

Agreed here, but the courts might not.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:55 am
7:30 PM Boca Raton Bowl, ESPN
GO Toledo (8-5) -3.5 > Liberty (8-4), Inshallah
O Really wrote:
You can de-bate your breath.
Toledo up 21-13 with 3:50 left, Liberty passes for a 67 yard TD then fails on the 2 point try. Allah was willing, 21-19 final. :clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:41 am
Vrede too wrote:
It's interesting that both Neon dion and Scott frost completely dismantled the teams they left far worse than what Freeze did, but I must have missed those complaints.
Yes all of NCAA football. I would never complain about any harm done to Liberty.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:32 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:41 am
Vrede too wrote:
Yes all of NCAA football. I would never complain about any harm done to Liberty.
Yeah, me either. billy.p may have misunderstood my original comment on this issue. I mentioned Freeze leaving in regard to the Toledo/Liberty game, but no criticism of Auburn was even in mind. The rules are what they are; coaches are entitled to leave; new schools are entitled to use them. I just think players who've left it all on the field for a guy all year and get to a bowl deserve to have the guy who got them there coaching the last game. Probably way to idealistic for contemporary sports.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:47 am
Yeah, me either. billy.p may have misunderstood my original comment on this issue. I mentioned Freeze leaving in regard to the Toledo/Liberty game, but no criticism of Auburn was even in mind. The rules are what they are; coaches are entitled to leave; new schools are entitled to use them. I just think players who've left it all on the field for a guy all year and get to a bowl deserve to have the guy who got them there coaching the last game. Probably way to idealistic for contemporary sports.
:thumbup: Maybe Liberty was just as well off without Freeze. It lost its last 4 games, including getting fish-slapped AND stomped by then 4-6 New Mexico State.
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/liberty/schedule

Not a good omen for Auburn. :problem:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:58 am
O Really wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:47 am
:thumbup: Maybe Liberty was just as well off without Freeze. It lost its last 4 games, including getting fish-slapped AND stomped by then 4-6 New Mexico State.
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/liberty/schedule

Not a good omen for Auburn. :problem:
It mostly comes down to recruiting. That's gotta be tougher for the Flames than it is for Auburn.
Freeze appears to be doing a good job.

O Really
Admiral

We've got an entertaining study in bias here. Some of us don't like Freeze only(mainly) because of his association with Liberty. And we don't like Liberty because it's a rightwing religious school founded by Falwell and carrying a criminally misleading name. Neither of which have anything to do with football or coaching. I don't mind admitting to a somewhat irrational bias, but I hope he does well with Auburn. Students/alums/fans deserve some good results even if the administration brought most of the prior misery upon themselves.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:34 am
We've got an entertaining study in bias here. Some of us don't like Freeze only (mainly) because of his association with Liberty. And we don't like Liberty because it's a rightwing religious school founded by Falwell and carrying a criminally misleading name. Neither of which have anything to do with football or coaching. I don't mind admitting to a somewhat irrational bias, but I hope he does well with Auburn. Students/alums/fans deserve some good results even if the administration brought most of the prior misery upon themselves.
True, though there's also the cheating and so-so record. I was already biased against Clemson, now much more so:
Clemson's Dabo Swinney: 'We built this program in God’s name, image and likeness'

Dabo Swinney put a new spin on criticism of college athletics’ name, image and likeness rules on Wednesday.

The Clemson football coach said at his early signing day news conference that Clemson’s program has been built on “God’s name, image and likeness” while he’s been the head coach. The deeply religious Swinney has long been outspoken against what he thinks is the “professionalization” of college sports while being one of the highest-paid coaches in college football after Clemson won two national titles on his watch.

“We built this program on NIL,” Swinney said. “We really did. And it’s probably different than what you’re thinking though. We built this program in God’s name, image and likeness.”

You can see on Swinney’s face just how proud he was of his Wednesday one-liner....
:roll: :puke-left:

So Dabo, seems that god has been a LOSER since the 2018 season. Or, s/he doesn't give a carp about college football.
Shoulda built it in Nick Saban's likeness.
:lol:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:46 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:34 am
We've got an entertaining study in bias here. Some of us don't like Freeze only (mainly) because of his association with Liberty. And we don't like Liberty because it's a rightwing religious school founded by Falwell and carrying a criminally misleading name. Neither of which have anything to do with football or coaching. I don't mind admitting to a somewhat irrational bias, but I hope he does well with Auburn. Students/alums/fans deserve some good results even if the administration brought most of the prior misery upon themselves.
True, though there's also the cheating and so-so record. I was already biased against Clemson, now much more so:
Clemson's Dabo Swinney: 'We built this program in God’s name, image and likeness'

Dabo Swinney put a new spin on criticism of college athletics’ name, image and likeness rules on Wednesday.

The Clemson football coach said at his early signing day news conference that Clemson’s program has been built on “God’s name, image and likeness” while he’s been the head coach. The deeply religious Swinney has long been outspoken against what he thinks is the “professionalization” of college sports while being one of the highest-paid coaches in college football after Clemson won two national titles on his watch.

“We built this program on NIL,” Swinney said. “We really did. And it’s probably different than what you’re thinking though. We built this program in God’s name, image and likeness.”

You can see on Swinney’s face just how proud he was of his Wednesday one-liner....
:roll: :puke-left:

So Dabo, seems that god has been a LOSER since the 2018 season. Or, s/he doesn't give a carp about college football.
Shoulda built it in Nick Saban's likeness.
Damm, and all this time I thought Clemson football was rooted in Auburn's old discarded practice uniforms pilfered by an AD on his way out.

O Really
Admiral

Speaking of recruiting, why do they call it "commitment" if the player can back out and go somewhere else without consequences?

"BREAKING: ‘Big-Time’ Quarterback Recruit Set To Shake Up College Football By Flipping His Commitment Today"
(article doesn't say who)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:27 pm
Speaking of recruiting, why do they call it "commitment" if the player can back out and go somewhere else without consequences?

"BREAKING: ‘Big-Time’ Quarterback Recruit Set To Shake Up College Football By Flipping His Commitment Today"
(article doesn't say who)
College recruiting: College football

... After receiving an offer, a player may choose to commit. This is a non-binding, oral agreement. Although more coaches have tried in recent years to get players to commit early, the most highly rated players typically commit within a month of National Signing Day, the day all high school players who will graduate that year can sign letters of intent (LI) to play for the college of their choice. Signing Day always falls on the first Wednesday of February. Other players, who may not have as many offers to choose from, more often verbally commit earlier in the process. Players occasionally decide to sign with a different school from which they gave a verbal commitment, which often leads to rancor between the fans and coaching staffs of the two schools. Junior college players, however, can sign scholarships in late-December, once their sophomore seasons have ended.

A letter of intent is binding for both the player and school for one academic year as long as the player is eligible to enroll at the college.

In April 2017, the NCAA Division I Council approved a piece of legislation that significantly changed the FBS recruiting landscape....
National Letter of Intent: NLIs and the recruiting process

National Letters of Intent may only be signed by prospective student-athletes who will be entering a four-year institution for the first time in the academic year after they sign the NLI. Recruits who have signed NLIs must attend the schools they have signed with in order to receive financial aid, and NCAA rules forbid coaches from recruiting them further; these restrictions aim to add certainty to the recruiting process for players (who are certain to receive aid) and coaches (who are certain that a recruit will attend their school). By contrast, oral commitments are nonbinding; recruits may change or revoke an oral commitment at any time, and coaches may continue to recruit an orally committed player.

The restrictive nature of the NLI is designed to be advantageous to both prospective student-athletes and intercollegiate athletics programs....
AFAIK from my skimming neither article states exactly what the purpose of an oral commitment is unless schools are bound by the scholarship offer they made once an athlete orally commits. -0-?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Ironic that "educational" institutions consider "intent" as binding and "commitment" as not.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:23 pm
Ironic that "educational" institutions consider "intent" as binding and "commitment" as not.

8:00 PM EST Hawaii Bowl TV: ESPN
GO San Diego State 7-5 (-6.5) > Middle Tennessee
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:54 am
O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:23 pm

8:00 PM EST Hawaii Bowl TV: ESPN
GO San Diego State 7-5 (-6.5) > Middle Tennessee
Ugh, beaten by a 37-yard field goal with 2:08 remaining, 25-27.
Sorry, O Really. Congrats billy.pilgrim. I was disappointed by the lack of trash talk and gloating.

2:30 PM EST Mediocre Bowl Detroit, MI TV: ESPN
GO New Mexico State 6-6 > Bowling Green 6-6 (-3.5)
1312. ETTD.