College football

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College football

Unread post by Vrede too »

Final nail in the coffin, probably:
Washington supreme court declines to review Pac-12 appeal

... For months, OSU and WSU have made it clear that they intend to rebuild the Pac-12 in the coming years; however, that process could not begin in earnest until this case was settled.

The ruling allows OSU and WSU full discretion to operate the conference as they see fit, including as it comes to revenue distributions. Last week, OSU and WSU voted to block a midyear conference-wide revenue payment, a move they said was made to protect the conference against pending liabilities....
:thumbup: :---P

CFP's Bill Hancock responds to Sen. Rick Scott over FSU omission

Hancock makes a credible case. If undefeated Blufield and UCF could be excluded in years past, why not FSU? I'm glad that I wasn't deciding, but I'm thrilled with the result.

Big move:
Ex-Mississippi State QB Will Rogers to transfer to Washington

Former Mississippi State quarterback Will Rogers, who ranks No. 2 in SEC history in passing yards, told ESPN on Friday that he's committed to transferring to Washington. 

Rogers is on an official visit at the school this weekend, and he told ESPN he committed to the staff. He has one year of eligibility remaining and will be immediately eligible. Rogers threw for 12,315 yards over four seasons in Starkville. 

Rogers will be favored to replace Heisman Trophy finalist Michael Penix next season, as Penix led the Huskies to an undefeated season, the Pac-12 title and a bid in the College Football Playoff.

... Along with the 12,315 passing yards, he's the only SEC quarterback with more than 1,000 career completions at 1,301. That included 505 completions in 2021 under former coach Mike Leach. 

Rogers has started 38 games and is the NCAA's No. 39 career passer. Another season in the neighborhood of 4,000 yards, an area he's approached twice, will put him among the top five all-time passers in the sport....
Surprising on its surface, but he explains himself throughout the article. Gotta figure that he'll be an early Heisman candidate. GoTraitorHuskies&TraitorQBGo.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:25 pm
GO:

FCS:

12:00 PM ABC/ESPN+
Celebration (HBCU) Bowl, Atlanta
Howard (6-5) > Florida A&M (11-1, -6.5)
FAMU 20-10 4th to win 30-26 :(

4:30 PM ESPN2/ESPN+
@1 Montana (12-1) > unranked perpetual champ North Dakota State (11-3, -1.5 :x )
GO Griz! Up 10-6 at the half, gotta extend.
Now 24F at 5pm MST and a full house in Missoula. Junior Junior Bergen does it again with a punt return TD! That's 3 kick return TDs in 2 playoff games :-|| 16-9 in the 4th, gotta extend.
:angry-banghead: NDSU fake punt on their own 24, 30 yards of MT penalties - stupid late hit, DPI - NDSU ties the game at 16 with 0:51 left. Crap.
2nd OT in a row for MT :roll:
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: OT2: Both teams get TDs, both teams go for trick plays on the 2pt attempts, pitches to WRs for pass plays. Hero Bergen makes his try on a wild deflection, MT gets the INT. 31-29, Championship game vs SDSU!!! Bergen also ran once for 21 yards and led all MT receivers with:
6 REC 59 YDS, 1 TD 22 LONG :-|| :-|| :-|| MVP?

FBS:

3:30 PM ABC/ESPN+
Avocados From Mexico Cure Bowl, Orlando
Appalachian State (8-5, -6.0) > Miami (OH, 11-2)
Up 13-9 late in the 3rd, gotta extend.
Or not. Good enough after 12! total fumbles in the pouring rain, and a good year for App St!

5:45 PM ESPN/ESPN+
New Mexico Bowl, Albuquerque
New Mexico State (10-4, -3.5) > Fresno State (8-4). 10-37, opps

9:15 PM ESPN/ESPN+
Independence Bowl, Shreveport, LA
California (6-6) > Texas Tech (6-6, -3.5). Mediocre Bowl :roll: 14-34 :puke-left:
Also, UCLA (-6.5) 35, @Boise St 22. Gobilly.pilgrimGo ;)

2-3 college football, but MONTANA!!!
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:56 pm
Final nail in the coffin, probably:
Washington supreme court declines to review Pac-12 appeal

... For months, OSU and WSU have made it clear that they intend to rebuild the Pac-12 in the coming years; however, that process could not begin in earnest until this case was settled.

The ruling allows OSU and WSU full discretion to operate the conference as they see fit, including as it comes to revenue distributions. Last week, OSU and WSU voted to block a midyear conference-wide revenue payment, a move they said was made to protect the conference against pending liabilities....
:thumbup: :---P

CFP's Bill Hancock responds to Sen. Rick Scott over FSU omission

Hancock makes a credible case. If undefeated Blufield and UCF could be excluded in years past, why not FSU? I'm glad that I wasn't deciding, but I'm thrilled with the result.

Big move:
Ex-Mississippi State QB Will Rogers to transfer to Washington

Former Mississippi State quarterback Will Rogers, who ranks No. 2 in SEC history in passing yards, told ESPN on Friday that he's committed to transferring to Washington. 

Rogers is on an official visit at the school this weekend, and he told ESPN he committed to the staff. He has one year of eligibility remaining and will be immediately eligible. Rogers threw for 12,315 yards over four seasons in Starkville. 

Rogers will be favored to replace Heisman Trophy finalist Michael Penix next season, as Penix led the Huskies to an undefeated season, the Pac-12 title and a bid in the College Football Playoff.

... Along with the 12,315 passing yards, he's the only SEC quarterback with more than 1,000 career completions at 1,301. That included 505 completions in 2021 under former coach Mike Leach. 

Rogers has started 38 games and is the NCAA's No. 39 career passer. Another season in the neighborhood of 4,000 yards, an area he's approached twice, will put him among the top five all-time passers in the sport....
Surprising on its surface, but he explains himself throughout the article. Gotta figure that he'll be an early Heisman candidate. GoTraitorHuskies&TraitorQBGo.

Sir Charles weighted in during the Auburn/USC game today.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2023/ ... utType=amp

“Barkley admits he is looking forward to the CFP and has no idea who will win, but he knows who he won’t be rooting.

“To be honest with you, I’m really looking forward to the playoffs. I have zero idea who is going to win those two games because we have four elite teams. I’m gonna be watching. I can’t root for Alabama under any circumstances. I love coach Saban. He’s been great to me, but I can never root for Alabama under any circumstances. I told you, if they played Afghanistan, I’d be pulling for Afghanistan.”‘
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:56 pm
Sir Charles weighed in during the Auburn/USC game today.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2023/ ... istan.html

“Barkley admits he is looking forward to the CFP and has no idea who will win, but he knows who he won’t be rooting.

“To be honest with you, I’m really looking forward to the playoffs. I have zero idea who is going to win those two games because we have four elite teams. I’m gonna be watching. I can’t root for Alabama under any circumstances. I love coach Saban. He’s been great to me, but I can never root for Alabama under any circumstances. I told you, if they played Afghanistan, I’d be pulling for Afghanistan.”
:lol: :---P

1 Cheatin' Michigan (-1.0) vs 4 Alabama. Could be a good game as I'm rooting for both to lose.

3 Texas (-4.5 :wtf: ) vs undefeated 2 Washington

6 Georgia (-14.0 :lol: ) vs 5 Florida State

23 Liberty vs 8 Oregon (-17.5 :thumbup: :twisted: )

Auburn (-2.5 :thumbdown: ) vs Maryland

North Carolina vs West Virginia (-6.5 :( )

Troy (-8.0 :thumbdown: ) vs Duke

Rutgers vs Miami (-1.0, tight)

Utah (-6.5 :thumbdown: ) vs Northwestern
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Kyle McCord transfers to Syracuse after year as Ohio State's QB1

... McCord was one of the top quarterbacks available in the transfer portal, leaving Ohio State after going 11-1 as a starter this season and 12-1 over his three-year career there. He finished this season with 24 touchdown passes and six interceptions while completing 65.8% of his passes.

He is immediately eligible and will have one year of eligibility remaining. His signing is a coup for Syracuse, giving the Orange a linchpin for Brown to build around in his first season.

McCord is the highest-ranked player -- No. 31 in the Class of 2021 rankings -- to commit to Syracuse since ESPN began recording recruiting rankings in 2006, according to ESPN Stats & Information....
:wtf: In the article McCord describes in detail why he likes Syracuse. Okay, but why is he leaving Ohio State where he was so successful and came within a whisker of the Playoffs?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Screw him. May his lack of loyalty bite him in the ass someday.

Maryland head coach Mike Locksley announced Tagovailoa would opt out of the game during a press conference Tuesday. Tagovailoa is expected to enter the 2024 NFL Draft.

Maryland had a top 20 passing offense in the country under Tagovailoa and the best in the Big Ten by passing yards per game.

Without him, Locksley will get his first look at life for Maryland after Tagovailoa as he uses both redshirt sophomore Bill Edwards and redshirt freshman Cam Edge in the game against Auburn.

Edwards has 32 career pass attempts across two seasons and Edge, who did not play at all in 2022, has two career pass attempts this season
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:28 pm

Maryland head coach Mike Locksley announced Tagovailoa would opt out of the game during a press conference Tuesday. Tagovailoa is expected to enter the 2024 NFL Draft.

Maryland had a top 20 passing offense in the country under Tagovailoa and the best in the Big Ten by passing yards per game.

Without him, Locksley will get his first look at life for Maryland after Tagovailoa as he uses both redshirt sophomore Bill Edwards and redshirt freshman Cam Edge in the game against Auburn.

Edwards has 32 career pass attempts across two seasons and Edge, who did not play at all in 2022, has two career pass attempts this season
:angry-banghead: :angry-cussing: Maryland +7 now. Oh well, at least we have an excuse ;) and you've got no QB film to rely on.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:22 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:28 pm

:angry-banghead: :angry-cussing: Maryland +7 now. Oh well, at least we have an excuse ;) and you've got no QB film to rely on.
Bet he never graduates.

My ex-BIL had not played at all when our QB went out in the early 1st quarter of our bowl game. We won and he was the MVP.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:48 pm
Bet he never graduates.

My ex-BIL had not played at all when our QB went out in the early 1st quarter of our bowl game. We won and he was the MVP.
Wow :clap:

Idk, this was Taulia Tagovailoa's 5th year, having "spent his true freshman season at Alabama in 2019 as a backup to his older brother, Tua Tagovailoa, and Mac Jones," and forgoing entering the 2023 NFL draft to play his senior season. He may have already graduated. Tua did "forgo his senior year and enter the 2020 NFL Draft," but still "graduated with a bachelor's degree in communication studies in August 2020."
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:17 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Bet he never graduates.

Idk, this was Taulia Tagovailoa's 5th year, having "spent his true freshman season at Alabama in 2019 as a backup to his older brother, Tua Tagovailoa, and Mac Jones," and forgoing entering the 2023 NFL draft to play his senior season. He may have already graduated. Tua did "forgo his senior year and enter the 2020 NFL Draft," but still "graduated with a bachelor's degree in communication studies in August 2020."
Good. I thought he was younger and leaving early.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Bet he never graduates.

Not so wow. Abusive drunk of a husband and father who lost his great football reward job to drugs, his death so barely remembered that all that comes to mind is something about meth and an old car or a cheap motel at his end.
I never understood why my sister married the asshole.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:34 pm
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Bet he never graduates.

Not so wow. Abusive drunk of a husband and father who lost his great football reward job to drugs, his death so barely remembered that all that comes to mind is something about meth and an old car or a cheap motel at his end.
I never understood why my sister married the asshole.
Ugh. Sounds like that Bowl may have been his best and final moment of glory.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

How College Football Is Clobbering Housing Markets Across the Country

... Athens is no outlier. Around the United States, in small cities reliant on college sports to keep their economies humming, short-term rentals are destabilizing housing markets, fueled by wealthy fans and investors who transform single-family homes into de facto hotels for a few weeks out of the year, and often leave them sitting empty the rest of the time....

Bouchet pointed to similar market trends in Southern college towns such as Auburn, Alabama; Tuscaloosa, Alabama; Gainesville, Florida; and Oxford, Mississippi, where football rules the economy during the fall. Over the past year, the supply of short-term rentals has grown 34% in Tuscaloosa (home to the University of Alabama), 33% in Columbia, Missouri (University of Missouri), and 11% in South Bend, Indiana (University of Notre Dame), according to data from AirDNA. Bookings typically peak in November.

But it’s not just the rental markets that are affected — investors are overpaying for the houses they rent out, pulling sale prices out of reach for many locals....

In South Bend, Peterson-Miller, whose two children are grown, laments the changes to her neighborhood. “As we aged, it was a wonderful thing to be surrounded by these generations upon generations of children that grow up and then they move to another home,” she said. “We looked after each other. We were multigenerational. We knew each other.”

The bottom line, she said: “It’s impacting how we form community and how we sustain all the goods of that community.”
That sucks :( I wonder if it's true, obviously to a lesser degree, in Missoula. People do love the Griz :think:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Daboooo gets schooled

Bet it doesn’t take.

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... e-football

Clemson legend rips daboo in Facebook post

“Our son Jaden had already decided to transfer from Clemson University to go elsewhere to continue his education and hopefully get other opportunities to play football at the college level. His one last goal at Clemson as part of the football team was to finish out the season, which would culminate with the bowl game.
Coach Dabo Swinney was not having it. He made Jaden’s last two practices the worst experience of the entirety of the time he was there. He purposely belittled Jaden, insulted him and called him names. This two day public onslaught went far beyond anything resembling any kind of appropriate coach to athlete exchange. Coaches can use tough tactics when trying to get the best out of a player. This was definitely not that!
It became obviously personal and it was obviously overkill.
Other teammates that witnessed this tried to encourage Jaden by telling him to keep his head up. Many of them, including Jaden, were puzzled as to why he was receiving this type of attention now. It was more attention that Jaden had received from Swinney the entire time that he had been there. If Sweeney’s desire was for Jaden to go ahead and move on without finishing out with the bowl game, then he should have said so. There were so many non-offensive ways to handle that if you are being on the up and up regarding your true intentions.
A man’s true character is shown and will come out during the times of forced change. The landscape of college football is changing. Unfortunately, it appears as though our son Jaden(a scout team player), who had yet to get any real opportunities to perform on the football field, had to bear the brunt of Swinney’s frustrations with the changes. Frustrations that centered around all of those players that were actually on the depth chart that either entered the transfer portal or left with plans to enter the NFL Draft.
Jaden showed extreme strength of character by not responding directly to Swinney’s barrage of insults. He instead relied on his belief in who and whose he is. God established Jaden, therefore no man has the power to tear him down. The very definition of a coach is to teach, train and build up. This was not the case! There is never, ever under any circumstance where there would be a reason for a coach to handle a player like that. Jaden didn’t deserve that disrespect. No one does.
We are sure that a man and a professed Christian, who has 3 sons of his own( who by all appearances love being a part of football in whatever capacity they can contribute), would not ever want anyone putting them down in the manner in which he treated Jaden.
Yet, because of our faith, we still thank God for the opportunity and for those that were supportive. We thank God for the tearing down, because we know God will use it as a catalyst for the building up that is coming!!! “And we know all things work together for good to them who love God, to them who are called according to His purpose “ Roman 8:28
……. Yet, because of how Jaden was treated….. The Kinard Family are no longer loyal Clemson Football Fans!!!“

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Daboooo gets schooled

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:49 pm
Bet it doesn’t take.

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... e-football

Clemson legend rips daboo in Facebook post

:puke-left: Bastard.

Will it take in first to secede SC? Let's look at the issue:

VS.

:think: Hmmm . . .
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: College football - more bammers behaving badly

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/foot ... itting-std

Well, I planned to enter the portal, but the nice policeman felt like I’d be better staying in Tuscaloosa where they could consider me to be a youthful offender if I stayed with the team.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:54 pm

Well, I planned to enter the portal, but the nice policeman felt like I’d be better staying in Tuscaloosa where they could consider me to be a youthful offender if I stayed with the team.
:roll:
The Tuscaloosa Municipal Court granted Alabama reserve tackle Elijah Pritchett youthful offender status on Thursday, following his Wednesday arrest.

The Tuscaloosa Thread reported on Wednesday night that Pritchett had been arrested and charged with knowingly transmitting a sexually transmitted disease, which is a Class C misdemeanor crime.

A person can qualify for youthful offender status if they are between 18 and 21 years old. The designation allows for a defendant to likely have a lighter sentence and more importantly seals the record of the criminal charge from the public....

Last Friday it was reported that Pritchett planned to enter the transfer portal, but on Saturday he released a statement that transferring was not in his best interest and that he would be staying with the Crimson Tide.
Depending on the circumstances and disease I'm okay with youthful offender status, but the court granting it less than a day after the arrest is very suspicious. Not much time for investigation.
Bama = different rules.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:11 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:54 pm

:roll:
The Tuscaloosa Municipal Court granted Alabama reserve tackle Elijah Pritchett youthful offender status on Thursday, following his Wednesday arrest.

The Tuscaloosa Thread reported on Wednesday night that Pritchett had been arrested and charged with knowingly transmitting a sexually transmitted disease, which is a Class C misdemeanor crime.

A person can qualify for youthful offender status if they are between 18 and 21 years old. The designation allows for a defendant to likely have a lighter sentence and more importantly seals the record of the criminal charge from the public....

Last Friday it was reported that Pritchett planned to enter the transfer portal, but on Saturday he released a statement that transferring was not in his best interest and that he would be staying with the Crimson Tide.
Depending on the circumstances and disease I'm okay with youthful offender status, but the court granting it less than a day after the arrest is very suspicious. Not much time for investigation.
Bama = different rules.
I would agree to the Youthful Offender status, except that it is in a state that frequently charges young teens as adults.
It’s the same police department that let the murder accomplice basketball player go.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:55 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:11 pm
Bama = different rules.
I would agree to the Youthful Offender status, except that it is in a state that frequently charges young teens as adults.
It’s the same police department that let the murder accomplice basketball player go.
:puke-left: :puke-left:

6:30 PM ESPN/ESPN+
Gasparilla Bowl, Tampa (unfair!)
Georgia Tech (6-6) > UCF (6-6, -5.0)
It's a trap. Still, you're going down, Mickey.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:24 am
6:30 PM ESPN/ESPN+
Gasparilla Bowl, Tampa (unfair!)
Georgia Tech (6-6) > UCF (6-6, -5.0)
It's a trap. Still, you're going down, Mickey.
The Mouse goes up 0-14 in the 1st, 3-17 in the 2nd, but GT ties the game at 17 late in the 1st half. In the end GT has scored 27 unanswered! 30-17 final :thumbup:

Mega-buyout Auburn refugee Gus Malzahn loses his 2nd Bowl in a row and has a losing season.
1312. ETTD.