Fire/EMS/ERs/disasters, etc.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Fire/EMS/ERs/disasters, etc.

Unread post by Vrede too »

Your last seconds before being engulfed by a pyroclastic flow:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-63862124

:shock:

The god Pele:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-63814130
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Too many ads.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:17 pm
Too many ads.
My Adblock Plus removes all of them without slowing down playback.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:57 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Too many ads.
I was talking about the 30 second commercial for a 30 second video.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:27 pm
Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Too many ads.
All I see are a 40 second news video and a 54 second news video. Idk what you're referring to.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:44 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:27 pm
Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Too many ads.
All I see are a 40 second news video and a 54 second news video. Idk what you're referring to.
Dunno.

I get commercials first.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ad free vids, I think:
Volcanic activity occurring all around the world

Mauna Loa's lava flow as seen from a helicopter tour on Hawaii where neighboring volcano Kilauea is also erupting.

A handout photo made available by the Indonesian National Board for Disaster Management shows volcanic materials from Indonesia's Mount Semeru volcano hitting a bridge following an eruption on Sunday.

As Hawaii's Mauna Loa and neighboring Kilauea volcanos simultaneously erupt, drawing worldwide attention, geologists continue to monitor dozens what are called "continuing volcanic eruptions" around the globe.

Currently, 47 volcanoes fit that definition according to the Smithsonian Institution's Global Volcanism Program. Of those, generally about 20 actively erupt on any given day, according to program data....

United States

... Mauna Loa, which is the largest active volcano on Earth, is erupting for the first time in 38 years. Kilauea was already active....

"Lava diversion is a tricky thing to do, especially on flat ground," said Hawaii County Civil Defense Administrator Talmadge Magnoe. "It really comes down to a volume problem. What we're seeing now is -- take 10 of the biggest dump trucks you can think of, we're getting that many dump trucks of lava every second delivered by this lava flow."

In addition to Mauna Loa and Kilauea, there are two other volcanoes currently erupting in the United States. Pavlof Volcano in Alaska has been venting gas and ash as high as 20,000 feet since last month and Alaska's Volcano Observatory has also reported a slow lava effusion from Great Sitkin since the end of November.

Indonesia

Indonesia's Mount Semeru erupted on Sunday spewing volcanic ash 5,000 feet into the air and forcing the evacuation of nearly 2,000 people....

Mount Semeru is one of eight volcanoes currently erupting in Indonesia. The others include Mounts Kerinci, Krakatau, Merapi, Lewotolok, Karangetang, Ibu and Dukono.

Mount Semeru, which is located on the island of Java, is Indonesia's highest volcano and last erupted a year ago, killing 51 people. There were no casualties in Sunday's eruption. Geologists blame monsoon rains that eroded the volcano's lava dome for causing the eruption.

Italy

In Italy, a volcano erupted on the small island of Stromboli in October. The volcano billowed ash into the air and sent streams of lava into the sea, with no major damage or casualties.

... Japan

On Saturday, Sakurajima volcano on Kyushu in Japan erupted with a spectacular show of lightning, lava and ash that spewed 6,000 feet above sea level.

The eruption of Sakurajima is one of three ongoing eruptions in Japan that include Suwanosejima last month. Aira in south Japan has emitted 700 tons of sulfur dioxide each day since Nov. 21 when the volcano exploded, sending an ash plume more than a mile into the air.

Chile

Chile's Villarrica volcano, which is the country's most active volcano, erupted Sunday with two explosions and a plume of lava shooting out of the crater....

Russia

In Russia, the Sheveluch volcano on the Kamchatka Peninsula erupted on Nov. 20, with up to 10 explosions per hour. Sheveluch is one of Kamchatka's largest and most active volcanoes with an estimated 60 large eruptions over the past 10,000 years.

Sheveluch is one of five volcanos currently erupting in Russia, that also include Alaid, Ebeko, Chikurachki and Bezymianny.

Other volcanoes currently erupting around the world can be found in the Philippines, Solomon Islands, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Tanzania, Peru, Tonga, Australia, Mexico, Guatemala and Ecuador, according to the Smithsonian Institution's Global Volcanism Program.
The USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory has added several new webcam views and one livestream view of the Mauna Loa Northeast Rift Zone eruption.

Note: The livestream just now quit. Either the entire volcano erupted or it will be back sometime.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Turkey earthquake damage: Photos capture devastating aftermath of powerful 7.8 magnitude earthquake

:shock:
Wiki: 2023 Turkey–Syria earthquakes

On 6 February 2023, two powerful earthquakes struck southern and central Turkey.... causing widespread damage in Turkey and Syria. With a maximum Mercalli intensity of IX (Violent) and a magnitude of at least Mww 7.8, the first earthquake is tied with the 1939 Erzincan earthquake as the strongest instrumentally recorded earthquake to hit Turkey in modern times, while possibly being surpassed by the 1668 North Anatolia earthquake. It is also the most devastating earthquake to strike the country since the 1999 İzmit earthquake.

The earthquake was followed by numerous aftershocks, the strongest of which had a magnitude of Mw 6.7. The second earthquake occurred 9 hours later ... also having a maximum Mercalli intensity of IX and a magnitude of at least Mww  7.5. As a result of the earthquakes, more than 3,000 people were killed and more than 14,510 were injured.
1. 04:17 local time 7.8–8.0, most abed
2. 04:28 6.7 aftershock, many still trying to escape buildings
3. 13:24 7.5–7.7, about 70 miles from #1, search and rescue from #s 1&2 were in progress
4. 15:02 6.0 aftershock
Many many more aftershocks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Turk ... ftershocks
Damage

In total, around 5,606 buildings collapsed in ten provinces across Turkey....

In Adana, two apartment buildings, one of them 17 stories high, collapsed, killing at least ten people.

In Hatay Province, the runway of Hatay Airport was split and uplifted. Two provincial hospitals and a police station were destroyed, and a gas pipeline exploded. The building that was the assembly of Hatay State was destroyed.

Syria

Many buildings collapsed and people were trapped. Collapses occurred in the cities of Aleppo, Latakia, and Hama. In Damascus, many people fled from their homes onto the streets. Hundreds were killed. Many buildings in Syria had already been damaged by an almost 12-year-long civil war....
A lot of this is in Kurdish and other rebel-held zones.
Other countries ...

Estimation of losses

According to a professor of geophysics at the Kandilli Observatory, the death toll could be similar to the 1999 İzmit earthquake, in which 18,373 people died. The United States Geological Survey PAGER service estimated a 35 percent probability of economical losses between US $1 billion and US $10 billion. The service estimated a 34 percent probability of deaths between 100 and 1,000; 31 percent probability of deaths between 1,000 and 10,000. This estimate was made before the second earthquake hit. Meanwhile, Risklayer estimated a death toll of between 5,200 and 48,500, and an economic loss of around $20 billion USD (₺370 billion lira, 50 trillion LS.)
:cry:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Drone shows destruction in Turkish city before and after quake – video

Drone footage of the Turkish city of Kahramanmaraş reveals the extent of devastation from the earthquakes that hit the region last week. Compared with footage of the same locations in 2020, the stadium, previously a centre of sports life, is now a rescue centre for survivors, filled with tents. The bustling residential neighbourhood that surrounded it is now lined with damaged facades and the rubble of collapsed buildings. Turkey's disaster and emergency management authority said on Tuesday that the death toll had risen to 31,974
Reports from rebel-held N Syria are as bad, and little aid has trickled in.

:(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ohio law enforcement links Erin Brockovich to potential for 'special interest terrorism' threat in East Palestine
The report assesses the risk posed by Brockovich and activist groups in the wake of the Norfolk Southern train derailment.

:roll: Obviously, these are fascist LEOs smearing Erin Brockovich, environmental activists, and the people of East Palestine in service to their corporate masters. It's a shame that the DHS fusion center wasn't concerned with the threat that Norfolk Southern poses and taking appropriate action to protect the community.
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:48 pm
Ohio law enforcement links Erin Brockovich to potential for 'special interest terrorism' threat in East Palestine
The report assesses the risk posed by Brockovich and activist groups in the wake of the Norfolk Southern train derailment.

:roll: Obviously, these are fascist LEOs smearing Erin Brockovich, environmental activists, and the people of East Palestine in service to their corporate masters. It's a shame that the DHS fusion center wasn't concerned with the threat that Norfolk Southern poses and taking appropriate action to protect the community.
Damn that's pretty evil.... you'd think given the history of Brockovich they'd leave her well enough alone.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

bannination wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:51 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:48 pm

Damn that's pretty evil.... you'd think given the history of Brockovich they'd leave her well enough alone.
She's very skeery. They should be quaking.
On 24 February, environmental activist Erin BrockovichUSPER [United States person] is scheduled to be in East Palestine to explain residents’ legal rights. Brokovich has urged the community to use common sense and ask questions. Brockovich is also placing blame solely on Norfolk Southern.The STACC TAU assess this event could potentially increase tensions within the community.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:21 pm
bannination wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:51 pm
She's very skeery. They should be quaking.
On 24 February, environmental activist Erin BrockovichUSPER [United States person] is scheduled to be in East Palestine to explain residents’ legal rights. Brokovich has urged the community to use common sense and ask questions. Brockovich is also placing blame solely on Norfolk Southern.The STACC TAU assess this event could potentially increase tensions within the community.”
She is and they should. That's the whole point of the smear job. Nonviolent Erin Brockovich is much more subversive and dangerous than violent Erin Brockovich would be.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Factory explosion survivor, on fire, fell into chocolate vat

A woman pulled alive from the rubble of a Pennsylvania chocolate factory after an explosion that killed seven co-workers says flames had engulfed the building, and her arm, when the floor gave way beneath her. That might have been the end, if she hadn’t fallen into a vat of liquid chocolate.

The dark liquid extinguished her blazing arm, but Patricia Borges wound up breaking her collarbone and both of her heels. She would spend the next nine hours screaming for help and waiting for rescue as firefighters battled the inferno and choppers thumped overhead at the R.M. Palmer Co. factory.
:shock: :clap:
... The March 24 blast at R.M. Palmer killed seven of Borges’s co-workers and injured 10. Federal, state and local investigations are underway. A cause has not been determined, but the federal transportation safety agency has characterized it as a natural gas explosion.

Borges said she and others had complained about a gas odor about 30 minutes before the factory blew up. She is angry Palmer didn’t immediately evacuate. She said the deaths of her co-workers — including her close friend, Judith Lopez-Moran — could've been prevented.

Others workers have also said they smelled natural gas, according to their relatives. Palmer, a 75-year-old, family-run company with deep roots in the small town 60 miles (96 kilometers) northwest of Philadelphia, has not responded to questions about the workers' claims.
:ateeth:
... At 4:30 p.m., Borges told the AP, she smelled natural gas. It was strong and nauseated her. Borges and her co-workers approached their supervisor, asking "what was going to be done, if we were going to be evacuated," she recalled.

Borges said the supervisor noted someone higher up would have to make that decision. So she got back to work.

Just before 5 p.m., the two-story brick building exploded.
:roll:
... Calling for quiet, the rescuers followed the sound of her voice. They found her in a tight space, in chest-deep water. She made her way to them and was placed in a litter.

“She was severely hypothermic and banged up,” conscious but “absolutely confused,” said Ken Pagurek, who helped lead rescue efforts as program manager of Pennsylvania Task Force 1, an emergency response team that deploys to disaster sites around the country.

“I think had they not gotten to her when they did, there was a very good chance the number of victims was going to be plus one,” said Pagurek, also a captain in the Philadelphia Fire Department.
Phew. Dying of hypothermia in a fire would be the ultimate irony.
... Borges now faces surgery on both feet and a long recovery. Her family has launched a GoFundMe campaign to help her pay the bills....
No factory health insurance?
No factory liability insurance?
No offer to cover her bills directly?
Assholes.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Aren't vats of chocolate pretty hot?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Smothers Brothers:
Lyrics
… I fell in a vat of chocolate
I fell in a vat of chocolate
… What'd you do when you fell in the chocolate?
… Lolly doo-dum, lolly doo-dum-day
… Well, I fell in a vat of chocolate
I just fell in a vat of chocolate...
… Wait a minute, wait a minute
You just said you fell in the vat of chocolate
I know, I just fell right in this vat of chocolate
I know, and I asked you a question
I said, "What did you do when you fell in the chocolate?"
… I swam a lot, there's uh
There's uh thirty-foot vat
It was just full of chocolate
Thirty foot across?
No, deep, was thirty feet deep
Full of chocolate
And I fell right into it
And I, I uh
Well what'd ya, what happened?
What did you do after you fell in?
Well, I uh, ...
I even hate to think about it because it was, uh it was a
No, I'm serious
Terrible experience
What did you do?
What did you do to get out?
I was just uh walkin' down this, uh
Down by my house there, and there's uh
There was this, uh, vat of chocolate over ...
No, no, what did you do?
There had to
First of all,
There had to be a restraining rail on the vat of chocolate
Well, I, uh, used to kind of balance on that rail
I used to walk on that rail
And someone evidently put something slippery on there
'Cause I fell right in there
Okay, then what happened, Tom?
What did you do after you fell? Did...
Well, I, I ... yelled "fire, " uh
… I yelled "fire" when I fell into the chocolate
I yelled "fire" when I fell into the chocolate
Tom, why'd you yell "fire" when you fell into the chocolate?
Lolly doo-dum, lolly doo-dum-day
… Well...
Now I want you to think about it, Tom
It must have been a very traumatic experience
Oh, it's just a horrible experience
I had chocolate all over me
I was swimming around like that, yelling "fire"
Well, what possessed you to yell "fire"
When you fell into this vat of liquid chocolate?
Well, I
There was no fire
You were in the chocolate and you yelled "fire"
That's pretty, uh, ridiculous if you ask me
It certainly is, uh, when I ...
… I just yelled "fire" when I fell into the chocolate
No, Tom, why'd you yell "fire" when you fell into the chocolate?
Well, I yelled "fire" because no one
Would save me if I yelled, "CHOCOLATE!"
Haha, no one would save me if I yelled, "chocolate, " haha
… Lolly doo-dum, lolly doo-dum-day-ay-ay

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:38 am
Not necessarily enough to scald. Melts at under 90 degrees.

The cold came from the water the firefighters dumped in there. She was pretty much sitting in cold water, not warm chocolate.

Gotta be some insurance of some sort for that - workers comp if nothing else. Actually, she'd be eligible only for workers comp unless she can prove actual negligence on the part of either the company or a third party. Failing to act on the smell of gas, though, probably would be considered negligent by a lot of people (personal injury lawyers).

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

... The vat began filling with water from firefighters' hoses, eventually forcing Borges to climb out as it reached neck level. She sat on the lip of the tank, then jumped into a pool of water that had formed on the basement floor. Briefly submerged, Borges said she swallowed a mouthful of water before surfacing. She grabbed onto some plastic tubing.

And then she waited.

“Help, help, please help!” she yelled, over and over, for hours. No one came.

The pain grew more intense. The water was frigid. The main supply pipe for the building’s fire suppression system had ruptured — and water was pouring into the basement. She lost track of time but thought she might be there for days....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:38 am
A/C was extremely rare in Alabama in the 50s, as was still the case in the gas station grocery stores out in that Country - dey was a forerunner to today's mor moddern convenience stores, 'ceptin' yu could by some souse meat an balonee by the slice, an the bread an crackers and sauce is free to everone. Oh oh I fergets that you get to set on the coolers an such if dey run outta cheers for everone.

Hershey - Summer Choices (90+°)
1) (only choice if under 8) open candy gleefully and lick the melted chocolate). Elder ones may do this two using more careful means it can be not two messy.
2) carefully carry the candy in a horizontal position to your home refrigerator.
3) eat a Pay Day, or
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:54 am
or
I'd forgotten that! :lol: