Fire/EMS/ERs/disasters, etc.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Fire/EMS/ERs/disasters, etc.

Unread post by Vrede too »

I'm not sure if spilled Coors Light and Coors product Blue Moon counts as a "disaster", but maybe powdered clay is important to somebody.

Hard cleanup: Montana train derailment spills beer and clay

A group of fishermen claim a bottle of beer from a derailed railcar on the banks of the Clark Fork River near Quinn's Hot Springs, west of St. Regis, Mont., Sunday, April 2, 2023.
:lol: Montana beer run.

I remember that tunnel well. I spent a summer working for a contractor collecting RR ties that had been replaced along that same stretch of track. Ftr: I had NOTHING to do with with the new ties or the rails. :D
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

It wouldn't take too much effort to spell out "WTF" with those derailed cars. Just a suggestion.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Too bad it's Coors.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:28 am
Too bad it's Coors.
No worry. Coors light is not Coors.
Don't know about Blue Moon - never had it, but it's supposedly citrusy, maybe like a Sol with lime included?

Clean-up crew should stay refreshed, though.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Speaking of Blue Moon - They seem to think that it's somehow illegal for a person to access their website if they aren't old enough to buy. It occurred to me that maybe billboards should be covered when people under 21 go by - or TV ads should have some magic filter. Anyway, before they'd let me in, they asked for age and place of birth. I put in numbers comfortably above 21 and entered "Canada." They then had another screen wanting to know Province. Eventually it let me in - to the website of the Canadian division in Stackt (Toronto). Now it didn't ask me where I live - it asked where I was born, and gave me no further choices. Nevertheless, I didn't know about Stackt, and it's interesting.

"North America’s largest shipping container market
Designed entirely out of shipping containers, the market is an ever-evolving cultural marketplace featuring a mix of shops, a microbrewery, top chefs, killer city views + lots of ongoing community programming."

https://stacktmarket.com/

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Too bad it's Coors.
Coors gave Ailes his 1st attempt at Fair and Balanced slogan news. They could have been fox.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Too bad it's Coors.
That's what the downstream fish are saying. :(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Brownsville Video Shows Range Rover Crashing Into Texas Migrants

Video shows the moment the driver of a Range Rover struck and killed seven migrants who were waiting at a bus stop in Brownsville, Texas on the morning of Sunday, May 7, 2023.

You can watch the video below, but be aware that it is extremely disturbing.

Judge Eddie Treviño Jr. of Cameron County, Texas, told the New York Times that the Range Rover struck the group outside the Ozanam Center shelter, near a bus stop, killing seven and injuring 11 more. He told the newspaper it was unclear whether the crash was intentional or the driver had lost control of the vehicle for some reason, and he added that the driver was injured.

However, Investigator Martin Sandoval of the Brownsville Police Department said in a later press conference that, “I am here to clarify that Brownsville police has never taken the stand that it was an intentional accident.” He said that authorities are also investigating whether it was an accident or whether intoxication was involved. He said they are also investigating whether it was intentional, though. He said police are awaiting a toxicology test result....
This is the video. There's a debate whether it should be available. I'm sure that it will soon be taken down or restricted by Twitter. Broadcast ABC pauses it before impact.
Spoiler:
Longer version of the video that contains up close views of the bodies and injured:
Spoiler:
:o :cry:
... Most of the Victims Were Venezuelan Men Who Were Sitting Along a Curb

... The AP reported that the “Ozanam shelter is the only overnight shelter in the city of Brownsville and manages the release of thousands of migrants from federal custody.” ...
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Yep, both videos deleted. I'm sure they're somewhere on the internet.

Driver is Latino and was drunk. Still not known whether the crash was intentional or not. What have we come to when it's a relief if a massacre is not racial or political terrorism?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Canada seeks foreign help to fight spreading wildfires

Canada called for foreign help Wednesday to combat wildfires burning out of control and spreading across vast swathes of the western half of the country.

The fires that have devastated the oil-producing Alberta province have in recent days spread to neighboring British Columbia and Saskatchewan as well as the Northwest Territories....

In recent years, western Canada has been hit repeatedly by extreme weather, the intensity and frequency of which have increased due to global warming.

This has brought floods and mudslides, forest fires that destroyed an entire town, and record-high summer temperatures that killed more than 500 people in 2021.

This spring's mostly hot, dry weather has resulted in what Alberta leader Danielle Smith described as an "unprecedented" crisis....
:( May is ridiculously early. The worst fire months in Montana were August-September.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Smoke from Canada wildfires prompts air quality alerts in Colorado, Montana

... Colorado's Department of Public Health and Environment put out alerts and advisories for Saturday afternoon through Sunday afternoon for much of the eastern half of the state, including Denver. It warned that air quality may be unhealthy during that period.

“People with heart or lung disease, older adults, and children should avoid prolonged or heavy exertion; everyone else should reduce prolonged or heavy exertion,” the department said.

Particle pollution led the air quality index along parts of the Front Range to reach 168 on Saturday, the department said. A reading between 151 and 200 indicates unhealthy conditions that can affect sensitive groups as well as some members of the general public.

An air quality alert was also in effect Saturday in Montana, with the greatest smoke concentrations in central and eastern parts of the state, according to the Department of Environmental Quality.
:problem: :(
... The fires in Canada have been burning mostly in the province of Alberta, where thousands of residents have evacuated and regional officials have issued state of emergency alerts. There have also been fires in British Columbia.

In Calgary and Edmonton, the two biggest cities in Alberta, the health impact was determined to be of “very high risk” on Saturday by the Canadian government's Air Quality Health Index. Sensitive groups such as children and older people were advised to avoid outdoor physical exertion and the general population was urged to limit outdoor activities.
There's some karma given Alberta's massive, filthy, CO2 intensive tar sands development.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Maybe water can be sucked up at the Gulf and pumped to Canada in the Keystone pipeline.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:23 pm

There's some karma given Alberta's massive, filthy, CO2 intensive tar sands development.
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:27 am
Maybe water can be sucked up at the Gulf and pumped to Canada in the Keystone pipeline.
:D Damn, I knew that it should have been completed!

A wildfire burns near Edson, Alta. Unseasonable heat, high winds and a lack of rain have fuelled fast-moving, unpredictable fires across the province. (Alberta Wildfire)

Alberta wildfires destroy two million acres of land

Fires in Western Canada Recede, Helping Energy Output Rebound

:think: :roll: Irony is dead.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I'm not sure that the fire destroyed the "land". It might have even improved it.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 5:35 pm
I'm not sure that the fire destroyed the "land". It might have even improved it.
Sometimes true. I also had qualms about the headline. Some ecosystems do benefit, and there are often large untouched areas within the supposed "destroyed" zone. I mostly went with that headline to give an idea of scale - twice the size of the Bob Marshall Wilderness or Glacier National Park. That said, fires in especially dry years where fuels have been allowed to build as a result of decades of fire suppression can be particularly destructive even to fire tolerant or dependent species.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 7:31 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 5:35 pm
Sometimes true. I also had qualms about the headline. Some ecosystems do benefit, and there are often large untouched areas within the supposed "destroyed" zone. I mostly went with that headline to give an idea of scale - twice the size of the Bob Marshall Wilderness or Glacier National Park. That said, fires in especially dry years where fuels have been allowed to build as a result of decades of fire suppression can be particularly destructive even to fire tolerant or dependent species.
Nevertheless, what "land" was burned?

land

noun
the part of the earth's surface that is not covered by water, as opposed to the sea or the air.

(facetious)

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:02 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:23 pm

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:27 am
:D Damn, I knew that it should have been completed!

Fires in Western Canada Recede, Helping Energy Output Rebound

:think: :roll: Irony is dead.
One of them is. I think it's the Keystone XL pipeline that was not finished. But the one that is complete is over 2,000 miles long and can carry 860,000 barrels of sludge per day. Or water.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Though surprising in May, Alberta is one thing. Otoh:

Nova Scotia battles its largest wildfire on record

:shock: The planet is screwed.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:31 am
Hazy here. Thanks a lot. :roll:

MLB, WNBA postpone games due to smoke from Canadian wildfires

More seriously, what a mess! :(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

NYC has the world's 5th worst air today.
It was the world's worst, peaking at 484.
Harrisburg, PA is 491 today.
The scale only goes to 500.
:wtf: :crazy:

FU, Faux Noise and EmptyG.
1312. ETTD.