Traveling

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ulysses
Vice admiral

Re: Traveling

Unread post by Ulysses »

The best argument in favor of RV living:

"Your home always stays the same on the inside, but once you open that door, the outside is always changing," Jaren said. "And that's what we love."

[ibid]

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:26 pm
So the Summer Tour has begun and we find ourselves in Bend OR for most of June....
Enjoy! I like volcanoes and their remnants.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bend,_Oregon#Geography
... Inside the city limits is Pilot Butte State Scenic Viewpoint, an old cinder cone. Bend is one of three cities in the continental U.S. (with Portland, Oregon, and _______, ________) to have an extinct volcano within its city limits. It is reached by U.S. Route 20. A lesser known characteristic of Bend, the Horse Lava Tube System enters and borders the eastern edge of the city. Just south of Bend is Newberry National Volcanic Monument on U.S. Route 97.
Betcha no one can guess what the 3rd extinct volcano city is, not that I knew.
Spoiler:
Jackson, Mississippi
:wtf:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:46 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:26 pm
So the Summer Tour has begun and we find ourselves in Bend OR for most of June....
Enjoy! I like volcanoes and their remnants.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bend,_Oregon#Geography
... Inside the city limits is Pilot Butte State Scenic Viewpoint, an old cinder cone. Bend is one of three cities in the continental U.S. (with Portland, Oregon, and _______, ________) to have an extinct volcano within its city limits. It is reached by U.S. Route 20. A lesser known characteristic of Bend, the Horse Lava Tube System enters and borders the eastern edge of the city. Just south of Bend is Newberry National Volcanic Monument on U.S. Route 97.
Betcha no one can guess what the 3rd extinct volcano city is, not that I knew.
Spoiler:
Jackson, Mississippi
I had no idea, but Wikipedia says,
Spoiler:
"Jackson sits atop the extinct Jackson Volcano, located 2,900 feet (880 m) underground. It is the only capital city in the United States to have this feature. The buried peak of the volcano is located directly below the Mississippi Coliseum."
Last edited by billy.pilgrim on Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:06 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... Betcha no one can guess what the 3rd extinct volcano city is, not that I knew.
Spoiler:
Jackson, Mississippi
Spoiler:
"Jackson sits atop the extinct Jackson Volcano, located 2,900 feet (880 m) underground. It is the only capital city in the United States to have this feature. The buried peak of the volcano is located directly below the Mississippi Coliseum."
It's only been up for 1/2 an hour. How about using the spoiler box so others that come along can ponder and guess?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:22 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:06 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... Betcha no one can guess what the 3rd extinct volcano city is, not that I knew.
Spoiler:
Jackson, Mississippi
Spoiler:
It's only been up for 1/2 an hour. How about using the spoiler box so others that come along can ponder and guess?
Done
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:27 pm
Done
Thanks. More info:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

On previous trips, we've been up the volcano in town. Actually, a lot of people use it for a cardio walk/run. Gets pretty steep toward the top. Haven't been to the lava tube yet - they were closed before. North of the town is Smith Rock - a favorite for hiking and (for many, not us, rock climbing)
https://stateparks.oregon.gov/index.cfm ... &parkId=36

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:14 pm
On previous trips, we've been up the volcano in town. Actually, a lot of people use it for a cardio walk/run. Gets pretty steep toward the top. Haven't been to the lava tube yet - they were closed before. North of the town is Smith Rock - a favorite for hiking and (for many, not us, rock climbing)
Nice! How about?

Newberry National Volcanic Monument

Lava Butte

Panorama of Newberry National Volcanic Monument, with obsidian flow on right
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:14 pm
There's a baseball game in Corvallis tonight and at least tomorrow night.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:26 pm

Nice! How about?

We're going up it while we're here. Access to the top was closed last fall. It sits just beside the major road like a big pile of rock.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:55 pm
We're going up it while we're here. Access to the top was closed last fall. It sits just beside the major road like a big pile of rock.
Sad news from home.
Authorities search for hit-and-run driver that killed an Asian grandmother in Oceanside, California

... The hit-and-run incident is under investigation. Authorities are still searching for the driver who killed Shu, who they suspect may live in the area. Police believe that the incident was accidental and speed may have been a factor....
Sucks regardless, but I hope it wasn't a hate crime.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:21 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:55 pm
Sad news from home.
Authorities search for hit-and-run driver that killed an Asian grandmother in Oceanside, California

... The hit-and-run incident is under investigation. Authorities are still searching for the driver who killed Shu, who they suspect may live in the area. Police believe that the incident was accidental and speed may have been a factor....
Sucks regardless, but I hope it wasn't a hate crime.
Yeah, it's sad that the possibility of a hate crime comes up so easily. I'm not that familiar with that area, but it's residential, with plenty of sidewalks. I hope they find the driver soon and treat him harshly. No stopping in unforgiveable.

O Really
Admiral

The trip into the John Day Fossil park and Painted HIlls was excellent. Way out in the middle of nowhere - literally 40 miles from the closest real store - it's the home of the most early mammal fossils as well as a history of spectacular development. Here's the park video:
https://www.nps.gov/media/video/view.ht ... 5F534E0F2C

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:40 pm
The trip into the John Day Fossil park and Painted HIlls was excellent. Way out in the middle of nowhere - literally 40 miles from the closest real store - it's the home of the most early mammal fossils as well as a history of spectacular development. Here's the park video:
https://www.nps.gov/media/video/view.ht ... 5F534E0F2C
Nice colors! Saved along with earlier Bend area discussions for the theoretical future.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Just in case she had a swelled head from getting the Presidential Medal of Freedom on Thursday -

Simone Biles says a flight attendant mistook her for a child and tried to give her a coloring book

:lol:

:---P
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

On a beautiful day yesterday in our bubble (78F, sunny), we took the ferry through the San Juan islands to Friday Harbor, https://www.visitsanjuans.com/friday-harbor It's about an hour ride from Anacortes to Friday Harbor, particularly pleasant out on the deck. Round trip ticket for two geezers - $14; parking at the dock $13; clear sunny day cruising the islands - priceless.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:42 pm
On a beautiful day yesterday in our bubble (78F, sunny), we took the ferry through the San Juan islands to Friday Harbor, https://www.visitsanjuans.com/friday-harbor It's about an hour ride from Anacortes to Friday Harbor, particularly pleasant out on the deck. Round trip ticket for two geezers - $14; parking at the dock $13; clear sunny day cruising the islands - priceless.
Well, if you're going go drop off the grid for a couple of days, it looks like a nice place to be.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

It's good to live in somewhere like Southern California before coming up here. Not quite as much sticker shock as there might be coming from somewhere else. Everything is expensive, groceries and restaurants in particular. Except gas, where you can get regular at an Indian station for $4.29. Sad that that seems like a bargain.

Crab Cake Sandwich   26.00
Cheddar, lettuce, tomato, onion and avocado aioli.

Grilled Salmon Sandwich   28.00
Spinach, tomato, onion and avocado aioli.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I can't remember the last time I traveled anywhere. I'm not against it, though. But I don't want a thirty dollar sandwich. Hell, the best one I ever made was probably not worth more than five or six dollars.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:56 pm
It's good to live in somewhere like Southern California before coming up here. Not quite as much sticker shock as there might be coming from somewhere else. Everything is expensive, groceries and restaurants in particular. Except gas, where you can get regular at an Indian station for $4.29. Sad that that seems like a bargain.

Crab Cake Sandwich   26.00
Cheddar, lettuce, tomato, onion and avocado aioli.

Grilled Salmon Sandwich   28.00
Spinach, tomato, onion and avocado aioli.
Yeah, we've got food truck Thursday near me. The lobster roll is up to $28 with a generous portion of about half the lobster as before the pandemic.

I've become a lot more discriminating as well as making a very nice lobster roll at home for $8.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.