Traveling

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Traveling

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:15 pm
Well, we finally got a good day in Texas. Weather is tolerable - upper 50's - except the wind.blows.all.the.frickin'. time. Snow tomorrow. :angry-banghead: But we went to Palo Duro Canyon, which I'd solidly recommend to anyone coming anywhere around the Texas Panhandle. Second largest canyon in the US after the Grand, and it's a lot easier to explore. HIke, bike, or just drive through, it's spectacular. https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/palo-duro-canyon
Cool, but stand back, don't jump and if you see potential jumpers don't let on; they don't like to be recognized. As far as I know, no one has died at this place unless they're suppressing the evidence. I've never heard of it but glad to know you came upon it and give it the reverence it apparently merits. Just stand back, and stop smocking that dope. ok

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

More than you might think, but overall not too many get killed. Several have died on the 7 mile round trip hike to the "Lighthouse", mostly from heat exhaustion or dehydration. Like this one.. https://www.amarillo.com/article/201107 ... /307299800 or this one.. http://www.newschannel10.com/story/3238 ... ro-canyon/

And then there's "Alabama Woman"... On a warm night last July, state park employees were rushing to evacuate audience members from Palo Duro Canyon’s amphitheater, which sits between sunset-brushed rocks in Texas’ panhandle. There had been an explosion.

As black smoke clouds clogged the air above the theater, at least 15 employees used 5-gallon water jugs to put out the flames as they rose out of two containers holding fireworks for a musical about settlers in the Texas Panhandle.

When the flames finally ceased, the body of Peyton Trueblood, a 21-year-old woman from Alabama, remained.

In the year since her death, Trueblood’s family filed a lawsuit against employees of the “Texas” musical the 21-year-old was working for, the Amarillo Globe-news reported in September. Clayton and Lisa Trueblood, Peyton’s parents, sued Kris Miller, executive direction and production manager of the musical, and pyrotechnic technicians Blaine Bertrand, Rick Bertram, and Dennis Rice for negligence, the newspaper reported.

But it does not seem to be a popular place to jump.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:16 pm
... And then there's "Alabama Woman"... On a warm night last July, state park employees were rushing to evacuate audience members from Palo Duro Canyon’s amphitheater, which sits between sunset-brushed rocks in Texas’ panhandle. There had been an explosion.

As black smoke clouds clogged the air above the theater, at least 15 employees used 5-gallon water jugs to put out the flames as they rose out of two containers holding fireworks for a musical about settlers in the Texas Panhandle.

When the flames finally ceased, the body of Peyton Trueblood, a 21-year-old woman from Alabama, remained.

In the year since her death, Trueblood’s family filed a lawsuit against employees of the “Texas” musical the 21-year-old was working for, the Amarillo Globe-news reported in September. Clayton and Lisa Trueblood, Peyton’s parents, sued Kris Miller, executive direction and production manager of the musical, and pyrotechnic technicians Blaine Bertrand, Rick Bertram, and Dennis Rice for negligence, the newspaper reported....
Cool, I never knew that settlers in the Texas Panhandle had fireworks.

I wonder if Alabama Woman was smoking a cig.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I don't know about the settlers, but Lady O did her best to start some today by taking an innocent museum docent to task because one of the displays unfortunately referred to the US Army engaging the "hostiles" in Palo Duro during the "Battle of Palo Duro Canyon" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... uro_Canyon.

The poor docent was reminded in no uncertain terms as to who were the "hostiles" and who had lived here first. And further, the attack and massacre at Palo Duro should be reported, but reported as a matter of shame, not pride. :clap:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:15 pm
Well, we finally got a good day in Texas. Weather is tolerable - upper 50's - except the wind.blows.all.the.frickin'. time. Snow tomorrow. :angry-banghead: ...
Wild weather. Have you and Lady O been practicing your best toothless drawls for the TV interviews in case a twister hits near your RV park? ;) Remember, "It sounded like a train," even though it really didn't.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

We escaped Texas unscathed, drove along what used to be Historic Route 66 from Amarillo to Albuquerque, including the now ghostly town of Glenrio, on the TX/NM border, which was featured in the 1940 version of "Grapes of Wrath." Albuquerque has been good, with a fun ride on the Sandia Peak Tramway http://sandiapeak.com/ and a good day of hiking/bouldering at Petroglyph National Monument https://www.nps.gov/petr/index.htm

O Really
Admiral

Tomorrow we hit Colorado. Yay!
There will be a visit to the Doobie Sisters fershure.
http://doobiesistersco.com/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:07 pm
:thumbup: I'm not sure you've ever mentioned partaking, not that it's a surprise.

Did you know that RVs are considered homes rather than vehicles for search purposes? The probable cause hurdle is significantly higher.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:09 pm
O Really wrote:
:thumbup: I'm not sure you've ever mentioned partaking, not that it's a surprise.

Did you know that RVs are considered homes rather than vehicles for search purposes? The probable cause hurdle is significantly higher.
I haven't smoked anything for many years, but I am fond of edibles and concentrates.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

The big thing nowadays seem to be the vape pens. Looks like a regular old nicotine vape, convenient, concealable, and lasts damn near forever.

I think good old fashioned bud is still better, but for mere convenience the vape pens are good to have on hand. Especially if you don't partake all that often and every now and then wanna blast off and listen to some old school hip hop.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

O Really wrote:
I'll be passing through Cortez in June, I might have to check that place out for some supplies!
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:12 am
Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:

I haven't smoked anything for many years, but I am fond of edibles and concentrates.
Got my Medical Marijuana card a few weeks ago. Judging from the lines in the stores and how fucked up the concentrate gets me, I'm guessing there are a lot of really stoned people out there.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:38 am
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:

Got my Medical Marijuana card a few weeks ago.
Why am I not surprised.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:08 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:

Why am I not surprised.

Are there other medications you don't take when needed?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Believers in magical sky fairies should not cast stones at stoners.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:53 pm
Very happy to put Louisiana in the rear view. Without doubt, LA roads are crap and once you get much north of Lafayette, there's nothing to see anyway except for rice fields, that are also used to grow crawfish and attract whooping cranes; miniature oil pumpers stuck out in fields and yards; and ratty pickup trucks with offensive stickers and drivers with meth mouth. But yesterday was fun. An acquaintance of mine from back when I went to JazzFest was in town and playing. Got to play guest rubboard with them on a couple of songs. Waylon Thibideaux - check his music if you like traditional cajun/zydeco. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGW-QyItj1c

So welcome to Texas. Local TV news had a story of two guys got arrested for putting on body armor and shooting each other with a .22 semi-auto. Like most of those stories, this one started out "we wuz sitting around drinkin'" Just good ol' drunk guys with guns, I guess. The stopover RV park (which is actually pretty nice) has included in their rules list "No cigarette butts, peanut shells, or trash on the grounds around your RV." Yeehaw.
Did you come through my lovely area?

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:37 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:04 pm
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:08 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Why am I not surprised.
Are there other medications you don't take when needed?
Believers in magical sky fairies should not cast stones at stoners.
billy.pilgrim claims he has a medical condition that requires him to get high, what's your excuse. Image

O Really
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:19 pm
O Really wrote:
I'll be passing through Cortez in June, I might have to check that place out for some supplies!
Highly recommend it.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:25 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:53 pm
Very happy to put Louisiana in the rear view. Without doubt, LA roads are crap and once you get much north of Lafayette, there's nothing to see anyway except for rice fields, that are also used to grow crawfish and attract whooping cranes; miniature oil pumpers stuck out in fields and yards; and ratty pickup trucks with offensive stickers and drivers with meth mouth. But yesterday was fun. An acquaintance of mine from back when I went to JazzFest was in town and playing. Got to play guest rubboard with them on a couple of songs. Waylon Thibideaux - check his music if you like traditional cajun/zydeco. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGW-QyItj1c

So welcome to Texas. Local TV news had a story of two guys got arrested for putting on body armor and shooting each other with a .22 semi-auto. Like most of those stories, this one started out "we wuz sitting around drinkin'" Just good ol' drunk guys with guns, I guess. The stopover RV park (which is actually pretty nice) has included in their rules list "No cigarette butts, peanut shells, or trash on the grounds around your RV." Yeehaw.
Did you come through my lovely area?
We did. Unfortunately, we had a couple of issues and got a little behind the schedule, so we blew past you fairly quickly. Originally (pre-hurricane) we had planned to spend a couple of weeks from St. Marks out to Pensacola. Oh well.

O Really
Admiral

We're in the Land of Morman, bounded by large beautiful mountains still with some snow and a huge lake that seems to be totally worthless except for drainage of toxic crap. Interesting though, that Joseph Smith was attracted to the area at least in part because of the similarity of the Great Salt Lake to the Dead Sea, and the way it was fed by a river that Smith couldn't resist naming the "Jordan River." Mormans are pretty much everywhere around here, though, but if its a choice of an infestation of Mormans or Baptists, I'll go with the Mormans.