Traveling

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Traveling

Unread post by O Really »

Oh great. News article says the average price of gas in Washington is now higher than in California, about $4.90. And BC is about the equivalent of $8/gallon. Bought gas today in Oceanside for $4.34 apparently quite the bargain.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:24 pm
Oh great. News article says the average price of gas in Washington is now higher than in California, about $4.90. And BC is about the equivalent of $8/gallon. Bought gas today in Oceanside for $4.34 apparently quite the bargain.
What mileage does your home get?

Delta Gave Me $3,000 to Give Up My Seat. Here's How I Could've Gotten More

On Tuesday, May 23, I sat at the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta anticipating what I thought would be a nine-and-a-half hour flight to Amsterdam, followed by a quick layover and three hour flight to Bucharest. By the end of that same day, I walked out of the airport with $3,000, a hotel voucher for the Renaissance, a $30 meal voucher, and a plane ticket for the same route to Bucharest scheduled for the next day.
:shock: Sweet.
... About 30 minutes prior to boarding, Delta announced the plane to Amsterdam had been downgraded and they needed 32 volunteers to give up their seats....

When Delta announced it was raising its offer to $3,000, my mom and I decided to take it. We were shocked it had gotten that high, but imagine our surprise when Delta boosted the offer to $4,000 to entice its final passengers to give up their seats. If we had waited only a few minutes longer, we would have earned $1,000 more.
:doh:

Sounds like Delta gave away $64K or more. How do they make money?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:17 am
O Really wrote:

Mileage? :lol:
About 7 on level-ish terrain. Less in mountains.
Diesel, that is running a little below gas right now. It's usually more.

If one is going to worry about fuel mileage, this isn't the activity for them.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:33 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:17 am
O Really wrote:

Mileage? :lol:
About 7 on level-ish terrain. Less in mountains.
Diesel, that is running a little below gas right now. It's usually more.

If one is going to worry about fuel mileage, this isn't the activity for them.
Plus, it's not like the UAV is your daily driver.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:45 am

No, it sits way more than it runs. This is our fifth year living fulltime in the UAV, plus a couple of years before several months of the year.

It's not necessarily less expensive than some choices of fixed residence, but if you take the cost of that fixed residence and add in travel costs to see what we've seen and be where we've been, it would approach Vrede's "fatcat" territory.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:58 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
No, it sits way more than it runs. This is our fifth year living fulltime in the UAV, plus a couple of years before several months of the year.

It's not necessarily less expensive than some choices of fixed residence, but if you take the cost of that fixed residence and add in travel costs to see what we've seen and be where we've been, it would approach Vrede's "fatcat" territory.
If you go extreme offroading with the RV or DIY convert it to amphibious I expect you to reimburse us for your rescue. :P
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:05 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:58 am
GoCubsGo wrote:

If you go extreme offroading with the RV or DIY convert it to amphibious I expect you to reimburse us for your rescue. :P
I guess getting one of these is out, then.
https://earthroamer.com/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:24 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:05 pm
I guess getting one of these is out, then.
https://earthroamer.com/
https://earthroamer.com/wp-content/uplo ... scaled.jpg
:D Go for it, just buy the extra insurance, fatcat.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Speaking of off-road adventures - I've got one of the few (only) vehicles that instructions come in the Owners Handbook on how to climb over rocks and get through 30" of water. And I've met a lot of other Jeep owners, but I've met only a very few who've actually climbed any rocks. Nevertheless, when the apocalypse gets here we won't have to take the freeway.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:31 pm
Speaking of off-road adventures - I've got one of the few (only) vehicles that instructions come in the Owners Handbook on how to climb over rocks and get through 30" of water. And I've met a lot of other Jeep owners, but I've met only a very few who've actually climbed any rocks. Nevertheless, when the apocalypse gets here we won't have to take the freeway.
:thumbup:

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

We had planned to leave Oceanside after Memorial Day, but had to delay until the end of June. For some reason, we thought it would be a good idea to drive the entire length of the I-5 in 5 days. Probably won't try that again, but in any case we extended the trip by an extra day to visit Eugene/Springfield. Didn't see much of Eugene, but Springfield is a pretty cool place. Not the least about it is that it is "the" Springfield of "Simpsons" fame. There are Simpson references all over town, and including a large mural designed by Matt Groening himself. We're going to come back again and stay longer. Good hiking, river rafting, lots of stuff.

https://www.oregonlive.com/living/2021/ ... c-art.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:22 pm
... Not the least about it is that it is "the" Springfield of "Simpsons" fame....
Sort of. Location

Dozens more

I'm unable to google verification of this, but there is a Springfield Elementary in Stanley, NC (Gaston County) and I definitely remember a mainstream newsprint article about the naming.
viewtopic.php?p=60270#p60270
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:35 am
Not an online poll but 15 or so years ago NC built a new elementary school and let the kids vote on the name. They picked "Springfield Elementary", which baffled the authorities but they went along since it sounded nice. Then, someone pointed out that the name came from The Simpsons. The authorities rescinded, there was an outcry and - not 100% sure about this part - the authorities relented and the kids won.
:thumbup:
Somewhat related - I was a 7th grader in brand new Tilden Jr. High. We voted on the mascot and the way cool Tarantulas won. The authorities objected and a new vote was held with just the 8th & 9th graders allowed to vote. We became the hackneyed, easily duped and somewhat sexual (groomers!) Trojans. This was a lesson for me in US "democracy" that has never been contradicted in the 46 years since.
Bastards.
Last edited by Vrede too on Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well sure the Simpsons town is fictionalized and the show intentionally makes it vague intentionally. But Portland native Groening is the one who confirmed the Oregon Springfield as the original. Speaking of others though, there's a mobile Moe's Tavern that is out of Mass that provides an interactive experience of Simpsons.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:40 am
Well sure the Simpsons town is fictionalized and the show intentionally makes it vague intentionally. But Portland native Groening is the one who confirmed the Oregon Springfield as the original. Speaking of others though, there's a mobile Moe's Tavern that is out of Mass that provides an interactive experience of Simpsons.
Creation

The fictional city of Springfield was intended to represent "Anytown, USA" and not be derived from any specific real-life location. However, the producers acknowledge deriving inspiration from numerous locations including The Simpsons creator Matt Groening's hometown of Portland, Oregon, and Mike Scully's hometown, Springfield, Massachusetts.

Springfield was named after Springfield, Oregon, which, as a child, Groening had believed to be the fictitious Springfield featured in the 1950s sitcom Father Knows Best. Groening did not intend to place the fictional Springfield in Oregon, contrary to a 2012 interview with him in Smithsonian magazine; he instead adopted the name for the setting of The Simpsons in the hope that "everyone will think it's their Springfield". Al Jean explained that the magazine "misinterpreted something I've heard him say for at least 10 or 20 years. He was inspired by growing up in Portland, but it's really an every town".

Groening liked Second City Television's setting of Melonville, a town with a large cast of recurring characters, and used it as inspiration for The Simpsons. He said, "I also figured out that Springfield was one of the most common names for a city in the U.S. In anticipation of the success of the show, I thought, 'This will be cool; everyone will think it's their Springfield.' And they do".
-0-?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Traveling to Florida

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

the NAACP says
"'Florida is openly hostile toward African Americans, people of color, and LGBTQ+ individuals. Before traveling to Florida, please understand that the state of Florida devalues and marginalizes the contributions of, and the challenges faced by, African Americans and other communities of color,"'
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:56 am

-0-?
Spoilsport.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:36 am
the NAACP says
"'Florida is openly hostile toward African Americans, people of color, and LGBTQ+ individuals. Before traveling to Florida, please understand that the state of Florida devalues and marginalizes the contributions of, and the challenges faced by, African Americans and other communities of color,"'
It's a proud list that are unwelcome. The gays and woke are next.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

What a statement
Right now I'm not sure how to respond
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:25 am
It's a proud list that are unwelcome. The gays and woke are next.
https://twitter.com/ScottforFlorida/sta ... 1652551680
Broken link.
Last edited by Vrede too on Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:17 am

Broken link.
Broken Senator.