Traveling

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Traveling

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:02 am
O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:12 pm
Stuff like this doesn't help.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-r ... c-florida/
IIRC, the airlines had to be bailed out for being shut down for a week after 9/11. Then they took big $$ bailouts for the pandemic.

Now they screw their customers with impunity.

Good to be them I guess. It's a wonder more planes don't fall out of the sky.
Not allowing carry-on AR-15s is a violation of our goddamned 2A rights. Armed passengers are polite passengers.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

... A source told Insider that Tui arranged for passengers to stay overnight in the lobby of the Rodos Palace, a five-star hotel 20 minutes drive away from the airport, because there was limited hotel availability.

Tui said passengers were provided with "an alternative rest location, a contribution to cover accommodation if customers wished to source this themselves, welfare vouchers and a good will gesture."

One family decided to remain in the airport overnight, the source said.

The airline offered passengers 180 Euros, around $183, if they wanted to find their own accommodation for the night, which they could claim back afterwards, the source added. Passengers on the flight were entitled to 261 Euros compensation and Tui gave them holiday vouchers, according to the source....
From the horror stories I've been reading that's a better deal than US travelers have been getting.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:59 am

From the horror stories I've been reading that's a better deal than US travelers have been getting.
How sad is that?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:09 am
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:59 am

How sad is that?
TUI is not your standard commercial airline. Primarily charter and holiday-oriented, they're more accustomed to taking care of their travelers.

O Really
Admiral

We came back to Anacortes the week after Labour Day, with a nicely planned trip headed south. We were going to spend a week in Leavenworth WA, land of perennial Oktoberfest https://leavenworth.org/ then a comfortable cruise down to Bend for a couple of weeks. Opps. Fires/smoke closed both the 2 and also the 20 (North Cascades Highway) and turned the festival sausages from smoked to smokey. As it turns out, it's all cleared up now, but the 2 is still closed, and we had to juggle the trip. We're here until the end of the month, then down to Portland and Fall in central Oregon where leaf-peeping rivals the more famous places. No rainy windy Oregon coast for us this year. This is three years in a row we've had to make major changes in south-bound travel because of fire/smoke. I think next year we won't even make an effort to go east of the Cascades.

Next weekend, Anacortes is being invaded by the northwest version of Sturgis or Daytona Bike Week http://oysterruninc.org/
We'll pass.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:34 pm
Y'all been checking this out?

California experiencing ‘super bloom’ after intense rainfall
The rare phenomenon happens when rainfall sprouts flower seeds that have lain dormant in the desert, sometimes for years, but then bloom all at once.
(video)

Tonight's ABC News sounds like it's widespread, not just in fragile and restricted places.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Blooms of wildflowers all over. We did cruise up to Lake Elsinore but the access is so restricted it wasn't much of a trip. Might make a desert trip, but really you don't need to travel anywhere. Green and colorful hillsides everywhere.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

This is sort of a traveling thing......guy makes bicycle with square wheels. I think there's a thirty second ad for an iceless legless cooler in this (which I consider a bonus) but never mind that. This rig is cool but making it is like going around the world to get next door. Looks like it must have sixteen sprockets, not counting the two large ones.

https://autos.yahoo.com/youtube-invento ... 00535.html

O Really
Admiral

Clever engineering and great metal-working skills. Reverse mitre-cut in steel U-bar? Impressive to me who's rarely been able to get room trim right. So he basically built a bike that travels like a tank, except without the smoother rounded corners so flat smooth surface is about everywhere he can go.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

In reality, there's no practical purpose for this bicycle with square tires that we can think of, other than to look interesting. Still, well ... why not, right?
I'm not feeling any smarter today.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:10 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:34 pm
Y'all been checking this out?

California experiencing ‘super bloom’ after intense rainfall
The rare phenomenon happens when rainfall sprouts flower seeds that have lain dormant in the desert, sometimes for years, but then bloom all at once.
(video)

Tonight's ABC News sounds like it's widespread, not just in fragile and restricted places.
Where we go walking.
Attachments
Daisys2.jpg
Daisys2.jpg (30.28 KiB) Viewed 642 times

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:54 am
Clever engineering and great metal-working skills. Reverse mitre-cut in steel U-bar? Impressive to me who's rarely been able to get room trim right. So he basically built a bike that travels like a tank, except without the smoother rounded corners so flat smooth surface is about everywhere he can go.
Yeah, I was figuring the thing would not last long in any sort of continuous use. Those little strips of tires for the "tracks" would be uncontrollable and devastating to whoever is riding the thing....once the slivers of tire tread flew off you'd be running on chains...probably striking sparks on the pavement. Hideous. Overall, a lot of work for an honorable mention. But if I had one, I'd ride it and smile. And I was thinking that a unicycle with a square wheel might be the way to go. I'm gonna pursue this. After all, it would only take eight sprockets and less chain.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Not really traveling but more like geography.

I encourage scrolling down the thread to be reminded of the common misconceptions of our planet.

:lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:00 am
Not really traveling but more like geography.

I encourage scrolling down the thread to be reminded of the common misconceptions of our planet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomaspueyo/s ... 6298209281

:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLqC3FNNOaI
What do we want?
Peters Projection!
When do we want it?
500 years ago!

No Cartography Justice, No Peace!

Apparently not a real group, but when has that ever stopped the interweb?
The Organization of Cartographers for Social Equality (website)
The Organization of Cartographers for Social Equality (NSAbook)

Aaron Sorkin rocks!

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

That's funny.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

When I think of cruise ships, the word "seaworthy" is not what comes to mind.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/videos-show- ... 00760.html

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

The line to summit Mount Everest:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinter ... to_summit/

~75k to get to the top. Rich folks paying poor folks (Sherpas) to carry their stuff so that they can take a selfie and mark summiting everest off of their bucket list. Sure, it's still not without risks, but the trash strewn summit is still a decent metaphor for our world today.

Or maybe I'm just a hater ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:10 am
The line to summit Mount Everest:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinter ... to_summit/

~75k to get to the top. Rich folks paying poor folks (Sherpas) to carry their stuff so that they can take a selfie and mark summiting everest off of their bucket list. Sure, it's still not without risks, but the trash strewn summit is still a decent metaphor for our world today.

Or maybe I'm just a hater ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Yeah the Sherpas don't get much in real dollars (about $6-20K per season including tips/bonuses), but that's way over the average Nepal pay, maybe 8 times as much. But Everest is still another example of overcrowded "wilderness" areas. And given that climbing is a big money maker for the country in a 4-month season, they're not going to make much effort to limit it.

Agreed that though the risks are real and the climb vigorous, it still seems sorta like a pretend expedition, similar to the scum-bag "hunters" on enclosed private land.