Traveling

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Traveling

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Never taken a cruise, probably never will. As a way of vacationing, it has no appeal to me. Ugly Americans, herded like cattle, factory food and no chance to really getting to know a destination.

Additionally, when something goes south on a megaship, the cruise lines are never, ever prepared. These ships are seriously understaffed and what staff they have always seem to be undertrained.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Re: Traveling

Unread post by O Really »

The only difference in being on a ship at sea and being in jail is the added risk of drowning.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:40 pm
The only difference in being on a ship at sea and being in jail is the added risk of drowning.
Food's gotta be better at sea, just saying. Plus you can purchase overpriced cocktails.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:58 pm
O Really wrote:
Food's gotta be better at sea, just saying. Plus you can purchase overpriced cocktails.
Yeah, and probably not all the bikini-clad shipmates are all fat. But I think the original joke probably referred to Navy ships. Maybe Neo would have an opinion.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:08 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:
Yeah, and probably not all the bikini-clad shipmates are all fat. But I think the original joke probably referred to Navy ships. Maybe Neo would have an opinion.
I can't say for cruise ships or the Navy, but I probably worked harder at sea than I ever would have in prison. The food was usually fantastic, we had good beer at watch-end, there are no orcas and dolphins in prison, and we didn't have evening shows by has-been rockers.

Drowning is more difficult at sea than you might think. Fire is the real bitch.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Speaking of rocks and shoals.
Keeping an eye on the road signs is also helpful.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:58 pm
Speaking of rocks and shoals.
Keeping an eye on the road signs is also helpful.
If you can read the road signs, it's too late.

"Oooh, let's get a closer look at that pretty red lighthouse."
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:08 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:
Aye, in my Navy days there were no women on any commissioned naval vessel; and as I recall, the only fat sailors were some of the cooks. I suppose being at sea is comparable to being in jail since you've no place to go other than overboard; as for other hazards, drowning doesn't even make the list. Fire and electric shock were the biggest fears.

O Really
Admiral

I was somewhat surprised to find that Louisiana still has drive-through daiquiri stands. I was not surprised to find crawfish etouffe, boudin, and jambalaya were still available in good quality, and that live zydeco and jazz is all around. Life is good. Trump who?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:19 pm
I was somewhat surprised to find that Louisiana still has drive-through daiquiri stands. I was not surprised to find crawfish etouffe, boudin, and jambalaya were still available in good quality, and that live zydeco and jazz is all around. Life is good. Trump who?
That's just mean.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Yeah, I know the restaurant sign is photoshopped, still funny.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Pinch they tail and suck they head, Crawfish - Zachary Richard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYGefN4nsRM

O Really
Admiral

Utah: Recently passed a law allowing restricted sale of real (not 3.2) beer.
NC, and others: State controlled liquor stores.
FL, and others: Tightly controlled privately owned liquor stores.
Louisiana: Liquor in grocery store, across the aisle from the deli.

Most everywhere else: cigarettes hidden back behind some counter.
Louisiana: Sign inviting you to "Join the Tobacco Club" and get BOGO's on special days.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:05 pm
Utah: Recently passed a law allowing restricted sale of real (not 3.2) beer.
NC, and others: State controlled liquor stores.
FL, and others: Tightly controlled privately owned liquor stores.
Louisiana: Liquor in grocery store, across the aisle from the deli.

Most everywhere else: cigarettes hidden back behind some counter.
Louisiana: Sign inviting you to "Join the Tobacco Club" and get BOGO's on special days.

Where people voted for Bobby Jindal.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:51 pm

Where people voted for Bobby Jindal.
Well that explains, or is explained by, all the drinking.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Huey Long; the Kingfisher; he was the Saddam Hussein of Louisiana. They need to dig him up and do some voodoo and gris gris on him He'd make America great again, or at least part of it.

O Really
Admiral

Very happy to put Louisiana in the rear view. Without doubt, LA roads are crap and once you get much north of Lafayette, there's nothing to see anyway except for rice fields, that are also used to grow crawfish and attract whooping cranes; miniature oil pumpers stuck out in fields and yards; and ratty pickup trucks with offensive stickers and drivers with meth mouth. But yesterday was fun. An acquaintance of mine from back when I went to JazzFest was in town and playing. Got to play guest rubboard with them on a couple of songs. Waylon Thibideaux - check his music if you like traditional cajun/zydeco. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGW-QyItj1c

So welcome to Texas. Local TV news had a story of two guys got arrested for putting on body armor and shooting each other with a .22 semi-auto. Like most of those stories, this one started out "we wuz sitting around drinkin'" Just good ol' drunk guys with guns, I guess. The stopover RV park (which is actually pretty nice) has included in their rules list "No cigarette butts, peanut shells, or trash on the grounds around your RV." Yeehaw.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:53 pm
... So welcome to Texas. Local TV news had a story of two guys got arrested for putting on body armor and shooting each other with a .22 semi-auto. Like most of those stories, this one started out "we wuz sitting around drinkin'" Just good ol' drunk guys with guns, I guess. The stopover RV park (which is actually pretty nice) has included in their rules list "No cigarette butts, peanut shells, or trash on the grounds around your RV." Yeehaw.
Does that include Texans?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:59 pm

Does that include Texans?
Apparently so - haven't seen any actual Texans in this stop. New Brunswick on one side, Michigan on the other, and a NC across the way.

O Really
Admiral

Update: the "shooters" were from Arkansas. Wha-Tever.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/508054992.html