Animals

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Animals

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Dayum!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:49 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:46 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:33 am

There you are, GoCubsGo, to conquer Australia you just have to evoke your inner 12-year-old girl.
I may not have the Right Stuff.
:D How about Amazonia? :P
New anaconda species said to be largest ever found during filming of Will Smith docuseries

Northern green anaconda on a riverbank.

A giant anaconda species thought to be the largest in the world has been captured deep in the Amazon of Ecuador by a team of scientists from The University of Queensland.

The group of scientists, led by professor Bryan Fry, uncovered the nearly 10 million-year-old species with help from the indigenous Huaorani people while filming "Pole to Pole with Will Smith," a National Geographic series streaming on Disney+ and hosted by the Oscar winner.

“The size of these magnificent creatures was incredible," Fry said in a news release. "One female anaconda we encountered measured an astounding 6.3 meters (20.8 feet) long."...

A northern green anaconda eating a deer.

“There are anecdotal reports from the Huaorani people of other anacondas in the area measuring more than 7.5 meters long (24.6 feet) and weighing around 500 kilograms (1,102 pounds)," Fry said, sharing with USA TODAY that Chief Baihua's son, Marcelo Tepeña Baihua, has scars from a snake about that size.

"The scars were clearly from a truly massive snake. They say that one wasn’t even the biggest they’ve ever seen," Fry said. "So its clear that the snakes in the Huaorani lands are indeed the biggest of all anacondas."...
Way cool, but I immediately thought of one thing. "Great" minds? Third top comment:
I came looking for references to Will Smith daring to slap one of these things and I was not disappointed.
Keep my wife's head out your mouth!
Mess with my wife and I will smith you.
:laughing-rolling:
Soon to become another profitable species imported by Florida pet shops in spite of all manner of evidence and rational thought against any measures to prevent the inevitable return to the wild by these “pet” owners.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:48 am
Soon to become another profitable species imported by Florida pet shops in spite of all manner of evidence and rational thought against any measures to prevent the inevitable return to the wild by these “pet” owners.
Do they eat Burmese Pythons? :think: ;)
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:20 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:48 am
Do they eat Burmese Pythons? :think: ;)
The Florida Everglades, more commonly known as the Melting Pot of pet store invasive animal species.
Rah rah capitalism, Go profits Go
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:51 pm
Raccoons!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... age-canada

A lone Toronto raccoon was able to cut power to nearly 7,000 people in the city’s downtown core on Thursday night, highlighting the fraught coexistence between residents of Canada’s largest urban centre and the divisive “trash pandas”.
Eagles!
https://www.friendsofbigbearvalley.org/

San Bernardino Mountains of Southern California - 2 eagles, an unusual 3 eggs, two 24/7 live feed cams, pips (hatches) expected any day now

Do eagles catch and eat raccoons or are the latter too big?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:20 pm
Mountain Lion in Oceanside

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/ ... e/3455526/
Likely eating pets or whatever now, but what brought them in? Do you have deer, feral pigs, etc?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

No deer feral pigs maybe some raccoons and coyotes. But the 200 square mile Camp Pendleton is mostly open space and there are a couple other open space parks where we've seen signs warning of mountain lions and rattlesnakes. Seen several rattlers, no mountain lions.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:50 pm
No deer feral pigs maybe some raccoons and coyotes. But the 200 square mile Camp Pendleton is mostly open space and there are a couple other open space parks where we've seen signs warning of mountain lions and rattlesnakes. Seen several rattlers, no mountain lions.
Gotcha. In my experience there is always some prey animal that uses the urban interface that attracts the cats. It was deer munching on lawns and gardens in Missoula. Guess it works differently in SoCal - the pets are the lure. Oh wait, any animal ag there - cows, sheep, fowl, pigs, koi?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Closest animal ag in any direction would probably be 20 miles, unless they're growing something on Camp Pendleton. I don't remember the last time I saw a dog that looked stray or loose, but there are undoubtedly some idiots that let their cats out. Apparently the mountain lion has one of the largest ranges of any animal, up to 100 sq miles. That would be enough to get this cat to some open space - or the Safari Park for that matter. Somebody will offer a theory, I'm sure. But one of the places he was seen was about a half mile from our door.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

I hope this is true because elephants are awesome.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Dude was seriously lucky, barracudas have razor sharp teeth and can do damage.

First time I heard that song a buddy got out of his car screaming "I just heard the coolest song!" We sat around his radio (probably smoking something) until it was played again.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:24 am

First time I heard that song a buddy got out of his car screaming "I just heard the coolest song!" We sat around his radio (probably smoking something) until it was played again.
:thumbup: More lucky (and compassionate) dudes in the sea:

Brave Fishermen Approach Distressed Whale

:-|| :clap:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:38 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:24 am

:thumbup: More lucky (and compassionate) dudes in the sea:

Brave Fishermen Approach Distressed Whale

:-|| :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:crybaby:

O Really
Admiral

Recently met a woman walking her Doberman. As we usually do, we commented on her "beautiful dog" and asked what was his name. "Security."
When she says she'll "call Security", she means it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 pm
Recently met a woman walking her Doberman. As we usually do, we commented on her "beautiful dog" and asked what was his name. "Security."
When she says she'll "call Security", she means it.
:D Is her name Karen? ;)

Tired of Doomscrolling? Try Ringing a Doorbell for Fish.

It alerts officials to open a boat lock for migrating fish. Anyone can watch and ring the bell. The Doorbell:
https://visdeurbel.nl/en/the-fish-doorbell/
Press play on the video in order to make the Fish Doorbell appear. I have not seen any fish :(
"There are currently 909 viewers"
Nicest photos :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Short video at your link
"28 smalltooth sawfish have died, probably more"

Found elsewhere: "There may be as many as 5,000 adults left in the world—or as few as 200." :problem:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"Warning: This article contains disturbing content"

Horrid:
:roll: Revealing pic.
... Michael Macartney, 50, who went by the alias "Torture King", was charged in Virginia with conspiracy to create and distribute animal-crushing videos.

Mr Macartney was one of three key distributors identified by the BBC Eye team during a year-long investigation into sadistic monkey torture groups....

The groups were used to share ideas for custom-made torture videos, such as setting live monkeys on fire, injuring them with tools and even putting one in a blender.

The ideas were then sent, along with payments, to video-makers in Indonesia who carried them out, sometimes killing the baby long-tailed macaque monkeys in the process.

According to charging documents, Mr Macartney, who lives in the US state of Virginia, is accused by prosecutors of collecting funds from his chat groups and distributing videos depicting the "torture, murder, and sexually sadistic mutilation of animals, specifically juvenile and adult monkeys".

Mr Macartney has cooperated with investigators from the Department of Homeland Security and agreed to plead guilty to conspiracy charges. He will formally make a plea later this month and is facing up to five years in prison.
Not long enough :ateeth:
... In the US, two others have been charged with the same counts as Mr Macartney.

David Christopher Noble, 48, a former US Air Force officer who was previously court-martialed and dismissed from the military, and Nicole Devilbiss, 35. They are both facing up to five years in prison.
:puke-left: :cry: I feel slimy just for having read the article.
1312. ETTD.