Animals

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Animals

Unread post by Vrede too »

A person outrun a griz? I don't think so. Alberta:

Watch: Wild horses flee with grizzly bear in hot pursuit
Scroll to end for a 2nd video.
:shock:

A person can outrun a gator, though. Fort Myers, Florida:

Watch: Frightened angler chased from pond by 'hungry' alligator

:lol:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Seriously, this is something I should have worried about?

Video shows man being bitten, dragged out of boat by shark at Everglades National Park

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Watch a Hen Turkey Tackle a Drone
The hen was guarding her poults when the intruder got a little too close for comfort

... As soon as the intruder buzzes too close, the hen flies up and attacks the drone, taking it down in a split second. The drone is then left sitting in the grass while the hen kicks it again for good measure.

... A self-proclaimed hunting nerd, Senarighi tells Outdoor Life that she recorded the video on June 24 while she and her husband were at their hunting property near Remer. She’d bought the drone earlier that morning for an upcoming trip they had planned, and she decided to send it up for a test flight around the property.

“I had never flown a drone before in my life, and I bet I didn’t have 45 minutes of flight time on it before the turkey took it down,” she says....
Opps. AttackHenAttack.
The hen and poults survived the ordeal—Senarighi says she spotted the same family of turkeys feeding in the field the next day....
:clap: GoBirdGo!
“For me, the biggest lesson was that the drone has a zoom feature. I could have just zoomed in on [the hen] without actually intruding on her space,” she says. “And from now on, I will be doing that.”
:doh:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

St John the Baptist Parish Sheriff's Office
2d ·

Suspicious Subject Apprehended

Last night, SWAT responded to Walnut Street in LaPlace in reference to a suspicious subject wandering in the neighborhood. Upon arrival, officers attempted to make contact with the suspect who resisted arrest. Eventually, officers were able to apprehend the suspect
Spoiler:
a 5-ft. gator.
Officers took the suspect into custody then released it back into the swamp where it belongs.
And, all is well again on Walnut Street.

(video)
:lol:

I got caught in an "algatorithm". A couple of old vids that I'd somehow missed:

11 years ago:
Man Describes Frightening Alligator Attack That Was Caught On Tape

2 years ago:

Video Shows Florida Man Rescuing His Puppy From Alligator Attack
Wow. :happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

2 articles, same story with somewhat different info:

The Blackfeet Are Freeing Wild Bison Back Onto Native Lands After Centuries Of Devastation
The tribe appears to be the first to release the animals onto territory bordering federal public land.

Absolutely epic': Blackfeet release wild buffalo on tribal land (with video)

:happy-cheerleaderkid:

My lottery winning fantasy has been to buy up a bunch of Montana land towards helping to create the Buffalo Commons. Adjacent to the Blackfeet Rez would be as good a starting point as any.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

How do people abandon 15 and 20 year old pet? This poor guy is 20. These fucking have had him for 20 fucking years.

https://pethelpful.com/pet-news/20-year ... -surrender
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Flogging and castration is too good for the bastards.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:41 pm
The article and TikTok don't tell us anything about the owner other than the snarky guilt-tripping. 20 years is a long time to keep a dog apparently healthy and happy, and I choose to not assume that people are heartless and cruel. Many things may have happened - death or disability of owner, financial calamity, unavoidable change in living situation (assisted living?), etc.

For all we know the owner/heir/friend may have driven hundreds of miles to Loxahatchee Groves, FL in order to give Dax his best remaining years.
"Big Dog Ranch Rescue is the largest Cage-Free, NO-KILL dog rescue in the United states"
:( sniff :-||
I'll bet that BDRR has gotten dozens of inquiries about adopting Dax. If not, he'll still be okay.

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:17 am
dog paddle faster

https://youtu.be/C8V97_DKfhw
Yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZQ9DDlctrc
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:06 am
O Really wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:41 pm
The article and TikTok don't tell us anything about the owner other than the snarky guilt-tripping. 20 years is a long time to keep a dog apparently healthy and happy, and I choose to not assume that people are heartless and cruel. Many things may have happened - death or disability of owner, financial calamity, unavoidable change in living situation (assisted living?), etc.

For all we know the owner/heir/friend may have driven hundreds of miles to Loxahatchee Groves, FL in order to give Dax his best remaining years.

The good news is that Dax did get a new real home.
But no, the only people who drove "hundreds of miles" were the Big Dog people who went to get him.
From another article: "Big Dog Ranch Rescue first heard about his situation after they were contacted by Walton County Sheriff's Animal Services in DeFuniak Springs in Florida. ... Big Dog Ranch Rescue CEO and founder Lauree Simmons sent a transport team to bring Dax to them."

So if the original owner had died or something, wouldn't it have been just as easy to report?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:00 pm
But no, the only people who drove "hundreds of miles" were the Big Dog people who went to get him.
From another article: "Big Dog Ranch Rescue first heard about his situation after they were contacted by Walton County Sheriff's Animal Services in DeFuniak Springs in Florida. ... Big Dog Ranch Rescue CEO and founder Lauree Simmons sent a transport team to bring Dax to them."
Ugh, but good on BDRR.
So if the original owner had died or something, wouldn't it have been just as easy to report?
With no details reported we can only guess.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:10 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:00 pm
Ugh, but good on BDRR.
Right. And I'm guessing there's nothing to redeem/excuse the original owner.

Let's tweak the story a little: Walton County Sheriff calls Big Dog. "We had a guy die/got killed, he doesn't seem to have any close relatives or friends and we've got his dog that needs some special care." If you're the writer, no way are you not going to include that sad click-bait part of the story.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:03 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:10 pm
Right. And I'm guessing there's nothing to redeem/excuse the original owner.

Let's tweak the story a little: Walton County Sheriff calls Big Dog. "We had a guy die/got killed, he doesn't seem to have any close relatives or friends and we've got his dog that needs some special care." If you're the writer, no way are you not going to include that sad click-bait part of the story.
IMO if the writer knew of some vile, inexcusable reason the owner is disposing of Dax after 20 years of decent care s/he would have included that part of the story.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:27 pm

IMO if the writer knew of some vile, inexcusable reason the owner is disposing of Dax after 20 years of decent care s/he would have included that part of the story.
Well there's that. But I don't know that there would have to be anything vile - except in the mind of hard-core animal people such as myself. Lots of people do things "normally" that I, and probably billy.p, find unacceptable. They take them to fireworks shows; they take them places where dogs are having to walk on hot asphalt; they take little short-legged dogs on hikes over hilly and rough terrain; they go out with no water for their dog; they drive around in a pickup with their dog loose or tied in the back...yada. So the original owner doesn't have to be intentionally cruel, but unless he's dead, he owes his dog more than a drop off somewhere that the sheriff can rescue him.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:48 pm
Well there's that. But I don't know that there would have to be anything vile - except in the mind of hard-core animal people such as myself. Lots of people do things "normally" that I, and probably billy.p, find unacceptable. They take them to fireworks shows; they take them places where dogs are having to walk on hot asphalt; they take little short-legged dogs on hikes over hilly and rough terrain; they go out with no water for their dog; they drive around in a pickup with their dog loose or tied in the back...yada. So the original owner doesn't have to be intentionally cruel, but unless he's dead, he owes his dog more than a drop off somewhere that the sheriff can rescue him.
Agreed!!! My hesitance to condemn only extended to the unavoidable. Life, and death, happens.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Dax's new home video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CuO2hk0sC27/

I wonder if the mobility issue had something to do with Dax being surrendered. Home with entrance stairs?

Article
... The rescue group hopes Dax's story serves as a reminder to other potential pet owners.

"Adopting older dogs can be rewarding and with many having more mellow personalities these animals make perfect companions," a BDRR spokesperson told Newsweek.

Dax likely wouldn't have lived far beyond his average life expectancy if he hadn't received good care from his previous owners. BDRR told us they don't know the circumstances behind Dax's surrender and it's possible the owners had a valid reason....
:think: Where have I heard that before? :P

If I were to adopt a rescue today, I could not guarantee the ability to care for it 20 years from now. Is that a reason to not adopt and thus let some animal be put down as a result?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Crap, something new to fear:
One heck of a rabid, 55-pound beaver attacked a girl swimming in a Georgia lake, and her dad beat it to death

... The beaver bit the girl's leg as she was swimming on private property in Lake Lanier near Gainesville, Hall County Animal Control field supervisor Kevin Beucker told the outlet.

It was the "biggest beaver" the investigating game warden had ever seen, DNR Wildlife Resources Supervisor Don McGowan told WSB-TV....

There was no indication that the attacking beaver was trying to protect any baby beavers in the area, authorities told the outlet....

Local wildlife biologists told WSB-TV that beaver attacks are rare in the area, and that the last incident they could remember at Lake Lanier occurred 13 years ago.

North American beavers typically weigh between 35 and 65 pounds, though the heaviest beaver on record weighed 110 pounds, per the Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute.

Beavers are rarely aggressive to humans unless provoked, and attacks are often attributed to rabies.

In a similar case, a 73-year-old man in Massachusetts was attacked in September 2021 by a beaver that was presumed to be rabid. The attack lasted around five minutes, and the man, who tried to punch the beaver multiple times in self-defense, sustained lacerations on his arms and legs and a fractured finger.

In 2012, a group of boy scouts stoned a rabid beaver to death after it attacked a 51-year-old man swimming in Pennsylvania. The boy scouts helped the man get out of the water, at which point the beaver switched tack and attacked a pool noodle.
:o I've swum in GA lakes. Guess I've got to make sure there are dads or boy scouts present.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

A headline you don't see very often:

"Authorities issue warning after aggressive sea otter seen going after surfers in Santa Cruz"

https://abc7news.com/sea-otter-steals-s ... /13490929/