Animals

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Animals

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:10 pm
Yeah, those boys are like the animal Gestapo. Or maybe the animal Waffen SS. :shock:
Black bears are everywhere. It's possible that "zoo or supervised habitat" is not an option. IF not, killing the habituated bear is all they could do. To me, the real murderers are the people that fed the bear.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:31 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:10 pm
Yeah, those boys are like the animal Gestapo. Or maybe the animal Waffen SS. :shock:
Black bears are everywhere. It's possible that "zoo or supervised habitat" is not an option. IF not, killing the habituated bear is all they could do. To me, the real murderers are the people that fed the bear.
Could be. The story didn't say if the bear was an orphan; only that it was a couple of years old. If it had been being fed by people for most of its life, seems to me the best thing would be to place it where it would continue to depend on that in a controlled setting. I suppose even being placed at the Cherokee NC bear prison would be better than just killing it, especially since they lowered the boom on Cherokee a few years ago to make conditions better. I did not consider human ignorance in the matter; only the FACT that it probably could have been sent to any one of a number of wildlife refuge facilities somewhere in this country. All it would require for that to happen would be an internet posting or a few phone calls. In general, life is better than death in most circumstances if all it takes is a little effort on someone's part. If it had been you and me on the call you would be the one to shoot the bear, not me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:51 pm
Could be. The story didn't say if the bear was an orphan; only that it was a couple of years old. If it had been being fed by people for most of its life, seems to me the best thing would be to place it where it would continue to depend on that in a controlled setting. I suppose even being placed at the Cherokee NC bear prison would be better than just killing it, especially since they lowered the boom on Cherokee a few years ago to make conditions better.

IF there's room. Then, what's the cost of shipment from OR to NC, and what other wildlife conservation could that money be spent on instead?

I did not consider human ignorance in the matter; only the FACT that it probably could have been sent to any one of a number of wildlife refuge facilities somewhere in this country.

Very few wildlife refuges are sufficiently separated from people for a problem bear.

All it would require for that to happen would be an internet posting or a few phone calls. In general, life is better than death in most circumstances if all it takes is a little effort on someone's part. If it had been you and me on the call you would be the one to shoot the bear, not me.

Depending on the realistic alternatives, sadly yes.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:26 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:51 pm
Could be. The story didn't say if the bear was an orphan; only that it was a couple of years old. If it had been being fed by people for most of its life, seems to me the best thing would be to place it where it would continue to depend on that in a controlled setting. I suppose even being placed at the Cherokee NC bear prison would be better than just killing it, especially since they lowered the boom on Cherokee a few years ago to make conditions better.

IF there's room. Then, what's the cost of shipment from OR to NC, and what other wildlife conservation could that money be spent on instead?

I did not consider human ignorance in the matter; only the FACT that it probably could have been sent to any one of a number of wildlife refuge facilities somewhere in this country.

Very few wildlife refuges are sufficiently separated from people for a problem bear.

All it would require for that to happen would be an internet posting or a few phone calls. In general, life is better than death in most circumstances if all it takes is a little effort on someone's part. If it had been you and me on the call you would be the one to shoot the bear, not me.

Depending on the realistic alternatives, sadly yes.
Number 11 on this list of National Wildlife Refuge area in the state of WA (Little Pend Oreille), established in 1939 is 40,198 acres that are home to various large mammals; they mention bears specifically. Here's the list.
https://beautifulwashington.com/wa/wild ... fuges.html
Cost of transport of the cub I have every confidence would be paid by concerned citizens or even volunteer pilots such as happens regularly with floods and other emergency scenarios.....like Katrina or the Houston floods in which dogs were flown out en mass. I maintain the state made the wrong choice in this matter. Perhaps the bear was so acclimated to humans that it would not have survived on its own in any case but I feel that the animals genetic imprinting and inherent instinct should have been given a chance. It was only two or three years old and it's possible it would have made it on its own, relearned its natural survival abilities, and just went on living. I would not like to be the one to have decided against this. But that's just me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:51 am
Number 11 on this list of National Wildlife Refuge area in the state of WA (Little Pend Oreille), established in 1939 is 40,198 acres that are home to various large mammals; they mention bears specifically. Here's the list.
https://beautifulwashington.com/wa/wild ... fuges.html
Cost of transport of the cub I have every confidence would be paid by concerned citizens or even volunteer pilots such as happens regularly with floods and other emergency scenarios.....like Katrina or the Houston floods in which dogs were flown out en mass. I maintain the state made the wrong choice in this matter. Perhaps the bear was so acclimated to humans that it would not have survived on its own in any case but I feel that the animals genetic imprinting and inherent instinct should have been given a chance. It was only two or three years old and it's possible it would have made it on its own, relearned its natural survival abilities, and just went on living. I would not like to be the one to have decided against this. But that's just me.
It's actually Washington County in Oregon (weird, huh?) where Boo Boo was fed and killed, but our arguments remains the same either way.

Some bear behavior is innate but a lot is earned, often from its mother. I'm not sure how it would ever unlearn what had become a very successful feeding strategy.

40,198 acres sounds lie a lot, but it works out to about 63 square miles, roughly 10 miles by 6 miles.
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Little_Pend_Oreille/map.html
Thus, the farthest a bear could be placed from a refuge border is only 3 miles.
"An American black bear has better eyesight and a better sense of hearing compared to humans. Their keenest sense is their sense of smell, which is about seven times greater than a domestic dog's."
So, it would be able to smell humans upon release or soon would in the normal course of its foraging. The existing Little Pend Oreille bears already get in trouble:
https://www.fws.gov/nwrs/threecolumn.aspx?id=2147552715

Maybe a wilderness area would be larger, but they allow hunting. Selfie-taking Boo Boo wouldn't last through the first day of hunting season there or 10 feet outside of a refuge border.

If bears could be economically trained to avoid people, I might dispute the choice the experts made like you do, but I've never heard of it. They're like the fast food eaters we've been discussing - it makes no difference what's good for them.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

A neighbor, 2 blocks further than we are from the water, has repeatedly said that we don't have bears. The husband actually said that my wife "made up" her encounter. He laughs at the bear horns we carry.
All this in spite of the county putting up signs warning about bears. They claim it's like UFO stories - until Friday. We could hear the shrieking and screaming from our yard. The whole neighborhood turned out to see what was going on.
Her dog had cornered a large bear in the front yard and she thought the dog was about to die in front of her (have I ever told of the demise of my beagle, Short Louis?).
The dog backed off and the bear ran away when people started coming out of houses all around.

She now carries a bear horn.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 pm
A neighbor, 2 blocks further than we are from the water, has repeatedly said that we don't have bears. The husband actually said that my wife "made up" her encounter. He laughs at the bear horns we carry....
I suggest that your wife gift him some bear bells or spray.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 pm
A neighbor, 2 blocks further than we are from the water, has repeatedly said that we don't have bears. The husband actually said that my wife "made up" her encounter. He laughs at the bear horns we carry....
I suggest that your wife gift him some bear bells or spray.
Maybe some signs, too.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm ... ZUAGa4ESoc
1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

KRNV News 4 - A bear was spotted in the area of Heavenly Ski Resort California Lodge South Lake Tahoe Monday breaking into a vehicle - clever bear.

Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster

Giant snakes in the Florida Everglades: How scientists are using Burmese pythons as spies

... When males are discovered crossing a road or slithering along a canal dike, they are caught and taken to a Zoo Miami lab where veterinarian Frank Ridgely, donating his time and facilities, surgically inserts a radio transmitter.

The pythons are released back into the wild to act as spies, hence their nickname "Judas snakes." During the December-through-April breeding season, the males lead researchers to the females.

"The radio transmitter allows you to follow it wherever it goes," Josimovich said. "It emits a pulsating beep. We can go to our animal and potentially remove several other individuals" found in breeding populations called "breeding balls." ...
    This turns them into Rat Snakes. :wave:
    1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
    Ensign

Justine Latton and her husband from Tasmania were on a road trip to Mt Field over the weekend when they came across the extraordinary scene.
        https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nb09bqkDMQ

Vrede too
        Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Whack9
        Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

1 CAT FAN wrote:
        Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:30 am
          Justine Latton and her husband from Tasmania were on a road trip to Mt Field over the weekend when they came across the extraordinary scene.
            https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nb09bqkDMQ
            These would be good to have for those who are allergic to cats. You could release a handful in your crawl space or in your cupboards to keep the mice at bay. Zero maintenance, no vet bills, no nasty litter boxes to deal with. No allergies to contend with, no more mice, and best of all, a furry friend to surprise you with hugs late at night.

Win win.
            I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

1 CAT FAN
            Ensign

Dogs defeat Shark

1 CAT FAN
              Ensign

Animals have rights too.

O Really
                Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Back in late 80's-early 90's there was a comedy night club close to where I lived and we went fairly often. Got to see some now-famous people before they got famous, while they were still stand-up comedians on the club circuit. Saw Jeff Foxworthy, Tim Allen and several others, including James Gregory. Gregory claimed he was the funniest person in America. Not even close. Not even the funniest guy in that club.

1 CAT FAN
                Ensign

O Really wrote:
                Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:06 pm
                Back in late 80's-early 90's there was a comedy night club close to where I lived and we went fairly often. Got to see some now-famous people before they got famous, while they were still stand-up comedians on the club circuit. Saw Jeff Foxworthy, Tim Allen and several others, including James Gregory. Gregory claimed he was the funniest person in America. Not even close. Not even the funniest guy in that club.
                Tim Allen - Animal Wrongs - PHART :lol:
                    Blue Collar TV Jeff Foxworthy & Jeff Dunham :lol:

Vrede too
                      Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
                      Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too
                      Superstar Cultmaster

Beluga whale saves an iPhone!

Hvaldimir is not fully wild, but still . . .
                      1312. ETTD.