The quandary for the trump cult

A conservative forum.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

The quandary for the trump cult

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Since we've been discussing quandaries, I thought I'd bring one to the fore that confronts the trump cult directly; namely, that there are three (that I know of) GOP pols challenging trump for the 2020 election. In addition to that, a handful of states have cancelled their primaries in an effort to, I assume, ensure trump is the 2020 GOP candidate. So, my question for them is what do you think about this? Is it the result of blind ambition from those three challengers or is it that some in the Republican party actually have a sense of honor, even if that honor is mainly devoted to corporate masters and one percenters? And also do they think the states that have cancelled their primaries should be able to do so?
I'm not sure if this an actual quandary, a conundrum, a patriotic spasm, or just what the hell it is other than unprecedented.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The quandary for the trump cult

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:23 pmSince we've been discussing quandaries, I thought I'd bring one to the fore that confronts the trump cult directly; namely, that there are three (that I know of) GOP pols challenging trump for the 2020 election. In addition to that, a handful of states have cancelled their primaries in an effort to, I assume, ensure trump is the 2020 GOP candidate. So, my question for them is what do you think about this? Is it the result of blind ambition from those three challengers or is it that some in the Republican party actually have a sense of honor, even if that honor is mainly devoted to corporate masters and one percenters? And also do they think the states that have cancelled their primaries should be able to do so?
I'm not sure if this an actual quandary, a conundrum, a patriotic spasm, or just what the hell it is other than unprecedented.
It's fairly rare, but Dems have also done it in some states when an incumbent is running. I believe I heard that it happened in 1996 (Bill), 2004 (Shrub) and 2012 (Obama).

"should be able to do so" is an ethical question and I'm all for raking the Repugs over this, but it's not a legal question. Parties can select their candidate any way they want. I favor rap battles or miniature golf, but no one listens to me.

Assuming that 45SHOLE has already locked up the nomination, this will mostly affect down-ballot primaries. The Repug electorate will be made up of a higher proportion of hardcore, 'always vote' partisans.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:35 pm
neoplacebo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:23 pmSince we've been discussing quandaries, I thought I'd bring one to the fore that confronts the trump cult directly; namely, that there are three (that I know of) GOP pols challenging trump for the 2020 election. In addition to that, a handful of states have cancelled their primaries in an effort to, I assume, ensure trump is the 2020 GOP candidate. So, my question for them is what do you think about this? Is it the result of blind ambition from those three challengers or is it that some in the Republican party actually have a sense of honor, even if that honor is mainly devoted to corporate masters and one percenters? And also do they think the states that have cancelled their primaries should be able to do so?
It's fairly rare, but Dems have also done it in some states when an incumbent is running. I believe I heard that it happened in 1996 (Bill), 2004 (Shrub) and 2012 (Obama).

"should be able to do so" is an ethical question and I'm all for raking the Repugs over this, but it's not a legal question. Parties can select their candidate any way they want. I favor rap battles or miniature golf, but no one listens to me.

Assuming that 45SHOLE has already locked up the nomination, this will mostly affect down-ballot primaries. The Repug electorate will be made up of a higher proportion of hardcore, 'always vote' partisans.
I wasn't aware that the Dems have also done this; I can't remember it myself. I never got seriously into politics until baby Bush was re elected after the Iraq fiasco and since then I've been paying more attention.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:10 pmI wasn't aware that the Dems have also done this; I can't remember it myself. I never got seriously into politics until baby Bush was re elected after the Iraq fiasco and since then I've been paying more attention.
I didn't remember, either, just heard about it in the last couple of days. I'm pretty sure that neither team has done it in a state that I was living in at the time. I'd like to think that I thought it was just as outrageous then as I do now.
1312. ETTD.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:47 pm
neoplacebo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:10 pmI wasn't aware that the Dems have also done this; I can't remember it myself. I never got seriously into politics until baby Bush was re elected after the Iraq fiasco and since then I've been paying more attention.
I didn't remember, either, just heard about it in the last couple of days. I'm pretty sure that neither team has done it in a state that I was living in at the time. I'd like to think that I thought it was just as outrageous then as I do now.
Well, all I know is that my polling place is less than half a mile from where I live and I will crawl there if I have to next November. During my Navy days, I'd been places and seen things that made me embarrassed to be an American, but these days make all that seem like nothing at all. Hell, if I had known this lunacy would happen, I would have jumped overboard back then just to avoid it.
O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Yes, the parties can nominate anybody they want, and by any means they like, and it's unlikely that any of the candidate wannabes would put much of a ding on Trump's nomination. But what they would do is create a situation where Trump can be publicly criticized by his own party members and where, theoretically, Trump would have to show up to defend himself. Lots can go wrong there. Shows what a weak link they think Trump is, though, that he can't be trusted to competently defend himself against opponents like the Appalachian/Argentine hiker.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:45 pm... Shows what a weak link they think Trump is, though, that he can't be trusted to competently defend himself against opponents like the Appalachian/Argentine hiker.
Speaking of the AT hiker, I just saw where he's campaigning in SC, which has cancelled the POTUS primary. :confusion-scratchheadblue: :wtf:
1312. ETTD.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:47 pm
O Really wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:45 pm... Shows what a weak link they think Trump is, though, that he can't be trusted to competently defend himself against opponents like the Appalachian/Argentine hiker.
Speaking of the AT hiker, I just saw where he's campaigning in SC, which has cancelled the POTUS primary. :confusion-scratchheadblue: :wtf:
I figure he's either on a morality/ethics mission or else heading down for a fling with his ex one last time. Or maybe he's just heading down there to kick Lindsey's ass.
PeacefulPartier
Pilot Officer

Unread post by PeacefulPartier »

neoplacebo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:23 pm Since we've been discussing quandaries, I thought I'd bring one to the fore that confronts the trump cult directly; namely, that there are three (that I know of) GOP pols challenging trump for the 2020 election. In addition to that, a handful of states have cancelled their primaries in an effort to, I assume, ensure trump is the 2020 GOP candidate. So, my question for them is what do you think about this? Is it the result of blind ambition from those three challengers or is it that some in the Republican party actually have a sense of honor, even if that honor is mainly devoted to corporate masters and one percenters? And also do they think the states that have cancelled their primaries should be able to do so?

Wouldn't reduced primaries give the underdog the advantage?
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

PeacefulPartier wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:23 pm
neoplacebo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:23 pm Since we've been discussing quandaries, I thought I'd bring one to the fore that confronts the trump cult directly; namely, that there are three (that I know of) GOP pols challenging trump for the 2020 election. In addition to that, a handful of states have cancelled their primaries in an effort to, I assume, ensure trump is the 2020 GOP candidate. So, my question for them is what do you think about this? Is it the result of blind ambition from those three challengers or is it that some in the Republican party actually have a sense of honor, even if that honor is mainly devoted to corporate masters and one percenters? And also do they think the states that have cancelled their primaries should be able to do so?

Wouldn't reduced primaries give the underdog the advantage?
Reduced? The issue is NO primaries, which gives the incumbent the advantage and throws the underdog and democracy under the bus.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

PeacefulPartier wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:23 pmWouldn't reduced primaries give the underdog the advantage?
Possibly. Why do you think so?

The states cancelling their primaries have already decided to hand their delegates to 45SHOLE without public input.
1312. ETTD.
O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:03 pm
PeacefulPartier wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:23 pmWouldn't reduced primaries give the underdog the advantage?
Possibly. Why do you think so?

The states cancelling their primaries have already decided to hand their delegates to 45SHOLE without public input.
Aren't these the people that were screaming that the Dems primaries were fixed to give HIllary a win?
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:12 amAren't these the people that were screaming that the Dems primaries were fixed to give HIllary a win?
At the time, it was we Bernie! supporters that accurately griped about DNC bias. Since then, you are correct that it's been mostly Repugs that never cared a fig about Bernie that have been screaming, while also expanding that real bias into hyperbolic "primaries were fixed". Good point about their hypocrisy.

I have not seen where Repugs are complaining now. I'm no Dem and can't speak for them, but as a lefty I would be raising hell over cancelled Dem primaries.
1312. ETTD.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I'm registered Independent, and we have no primaries to fix, cancel, or scream about.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Not sure about TN, but here in NC we Unaffiliateds can vote in any party's primary. So, I can scream about any limitation on any of them while washing my hands of all responsibility ;) .
1312. ETTD.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:25 am Not sure about TN, but here in NC we Unaffiliateds can vote in any party's primary. So, I can scream about any limitation on any of them while washing my hands of all responsibility ;) .
It's the same here; open primaries, but they say you have to "declare" your affiliation to a party to vote in that party's primary elections. I've never bothered voting in primaries before.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:05 amIt's the same here; open primaries, but they say you have to "declare" your affiliation to a party to vote in that party's primary elections. I've never bothered voting in primaries before.
Interesting. No such declaration here, I just ask for the primary ballot I want. Usually, there are enough interesting Dem races, like there will be this year, that I get a Dem ballot. Sometimes, I get a Repug ballot in order to vote for the ones most likely to lose to Dems :evil: .
1312. ETTD.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:34 am
neoplacebo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:05 amIt's the same here; open primaries, but they say you have to "declare" your affiliation to a party to vote in that party's primary elections. I've never bothered voting in primaries before.
Interesting. No such declaration here, I just ask for the primary ballot I want. Usually, there are enough interesting Dem races, like there will be this year, that I get a Dem ballot. Sometimes, I get a Repug ballot in order to vote for the ones most likely to lose to Dems :evil: .
That is the "delare" . As an independent you can't cross vote in the primary.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.
O Really
Admiral

I'd be for upping the eligibility requirements to be able to participate in a primary.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:38 amThat is the "delare" .

I don't recall anything saying that I was declaring my affiliation to a party. If somewhere in state law it says that's what I'm in effect doing, that's the state's problem.

As an independent you can't cross vote in the primary.

True, it's one party or the other per primary.
O Really wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:28 amI'd be for upping the eligibility requirements to be able to participate in a primary.
It would be a hassle for some, but I would just switch my party affiliation to the one I feel like voting in before a primary. I'm not going to sit out on principle. This would mean that I'd usually stay Dem, but would some years be Repug.
1312. ETTD.