The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by O Really »

So now a poll is saying 70% of people in the US believe in angels.
https://apnews.com/article/religion-pol ... 7f3c50933a

OK, but I have a question. If angels (or some of them) look like they are typically portrayed - a human-looking creature in a robe with big wings coming out its back - do the believers ever consider that angels would be insects, with their combination of 6 arms/legs/wings? Has anyone tried to sketch the structural bone design necessary to have both arms and back wings and what muscles would be required to use them? And if angels aren't part of the physical world, why would they need wings in the first place since they would only work in an Earthly atmosphere? And do angels speak all languages, or do we get assigned an angel who speaks our language. Do guardian angels get time off, and if not why does anybody get injured in accidents or assaults? Or maybe guardian angels have to prioritize what they'll protect us from, and ignoring basic stupidity.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Good angles only speak English as god instructs.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:21 pm
Good angles only speak English as god instructs.
:thumbup: It is written.

Political geometry - "Good angles" are Right angles.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Southern California must be close to Heaven. There are Jesus's and Angels everywhere you turn. I don't know how many of them would watch over you, but a lot of them will do your landscape.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:32 pm
Southern California must be close to Heaven. There are Jesus's and Angels everywhere you turn. I don't know how many of them would watch over you, but a lot of them will do your landscape.
:D No wonder 70% of people in the US believe in them. The other 30% mow their own lawns.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Old, White, possibly drunk, ink critic, liar, coward, murderer . . . and Xtian, of course:
https://www.crimeonline.com/2023/07/13/ ... s-tattoos/

RIP, Josh Davies. :(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Champion of RW xtians in TX:

(Corrupt AG) Ken Paxton tried to hide his affair from his wife and voters. It may be his undoing.

:roll: Whatever they oppose is exactly what they are doing.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:39 am

(Corrupt AG) Ken Paxton tried to hide his affair from his wife and voters. It may be his undoing.

'The lady doth protest too much, methinks. '
Could Gertrude have been talking to the equivalent of a 1600 republican?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:07 am
Vrede too wrote:

I don't understand any part of your post.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:39 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

I'm not sure why. I only repeated your "Whatever they oppose is exactly what they are doing" using a quote from Shakespeare about the biggest complainer often being the one in violation of whatever they are complaining about.

Champion of RW xtians in TX violates rules RW xtians in TX require of everyone else

Better?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:37 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:39 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
I'm not sure why. I only repeated your "Whatever they oppose is exactly what they are doing" using a quote from Shakespeare about the biggest complainer often being the one in violation of whatever they are complaining about.

Champion of RW xtians in TX violates rules RW xtians in TX require of everyone else

Better?
Ah, Queen Gertrude and AD 1600. Thanks.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Yay, god!
Christ the Torturer.
Police said Hyun parked the vehicle early Tuesday, then called a relative to pick him up. The family member then took Hyun to an Atlanta-area hospital for unrelated injuries. While there, he asked the family member to get a personal item from the parked vehicle.

When the family member went back to the vehicle, he discovered the woman's body in the trunk and called 911, police said....
Xtian criminals are idiots.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Republican Texas AG Ken Paxton is acquitted of corruption charges at historic impeachment trial

Republican Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton was fully acquitted Saturday of corruption charges in a historic impeachment trial, a resounding verdict that reaffirms the power of the GOP's hard right and puts an indicted incumbent who remains under FBI investigation back into office.

The outcome demonstrated Paxton’s lasting durability in America’s biggest red state after years of criminal charges and scandal. And more broadly, it delivered a signature victory for the Texas GOP’s ascendent conservative wing, following an impeachment that gave a rare window into divisions among Republicans nationally heading into 2024....
:wtf: :roll: :puke-left: :obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Schism. RW TX Catholic bigot fired:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pope-forcibl ... 24334.html

That's gonna wind up cons.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:20 am

“Francis is a clear and present danger not only to Catholics the world over but also to the whole world itself.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:14 am
Vrede too wrote:

“Francis is a clear and present danger not only to Catholics the world over but also to the whole world itself.”
-- Michael J. Matt, editor of the traditionalist newspaper The Remnant
:crazy: :violin:

60 years gone and they're still whining about Vatican II :roll:
:puke-left:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Watch This Texas Democrat Leave Republicans Speechless When He Uses The Bible Against Them

A video of Texas State Rep. James Talarico using biblical scripture to tear down conservative Christian arguments is going viral on social media, and it is glorious to watch.

This past summer, Texas Republicans tried to pass Senate Bill 1515, which would have required the Ten Commandments to be displayed prominently in every public school classroom in the state. The bill was an attempt by conservative Christian Republicans to inject religion into schools, but Talarico wasn’t going to take this lying down. Instead, he used their religious text against them....

In a viral video of the meeting posted to his TikTok account, Talarico stood up for LGBTQ+ rights and calmly explained why, as a Christian, he feels the “bill is not only unconstitutional, it’s not only un-American, I think it is also deeply un-Christian.”

VIDEO

After quoting from the Bible, the Democratic lawmaker said, “A religion that has to force people to put up a poster to prove its legitimacy is a dead religion, and it’s not one I want to be a part of. It’s not one I am a part of.”

Talarico then brings up that this bill seems to go against Republicans’ desire to get parental consent for everything. “Every time on this committee that we try to teach students values like empathy or kindness, we’re told we can’t because that’s the parent’s role,” he said. “Every time on this committee that we try to teach basic sex education to keep our kids safe, we’re told that’s the parent’s role, but now you’re putting religious commandments — literal commandments — in our classroom, and you’re saying that’s the state’s role. Why is that not the parent’s role?”

... Later, Talarico asks Nobel, “Do you believe schools are for education and not indoctrination?” to which Nobel answers, “Absolutely.” Then Talarico brings his arguments home, saying, “I guess what I’m trying to figure out is why is having a rainbow in a classroom is indoctrination and not having the Ten Commandments in a classroom.”

... It’s unclear whether Talarico’s arguments were a deciding fact. Still, the time for Ten Commandments legislation expired before the bill could receive a vote and won’t be instituted in Texas public schools, the New York Times reported.

Conservative Christians continue their quest to shove their religious beliefs down everyone’s throat, but with lawmakers like Talarico out there, we may have a chance of keeping them out of our schools.
:---P :happy-cheerleaderkid:
Texas Pastor Says Hell Uses 'Umbrella' by Rihanna To Torture Patrons

A Texas priest says he went to hell and they were torturing guests with Rihanna's No. 1 hit singles.

Gerald Johnson is the leader of Gerald A. Johnson Ministries in Texas and last month, he documented his journey to Hell on TikTok. The video is now going viral and currently has over 500,000 likes.

In the video captioned "HELL IS A REAL PLACE. I was there in 2016," Johnson says that when he had a heart attack seven years ago he felt his spirit left his physical body to take a trip down to Satan's playground. "It still baffles me to this day."

He then details his trip down to the center of the earth, shares visions of demons, and describes a music section of hell. "It was the same music that we hear on the Earth, but as opposed to entertainers singing it, the music, demons were singing it. It was some of the same lyrics we hear here."

He specifically mentions "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bob Marley, "Bust Your Windows" by Jazmine Sullivan, and "Umbrella" by Rihanna as songs used to torture Hell's visitors.
Ummm,
:wtf: 17 years AFTER Bob Marley died. Why didn't Pastor Johnson the johnson's god give him a brain?
"Every lyric to every song is to torment you as to the fact that you didn't worship God through music when you were on the Earth. You had a chance to worship him in church and at home and through music, but you chose to worship Satan by repeating the lyrics that he inspired to come into the earth."
Granted, it got excessive airplay and incessant positivity can be annoying, but Satanic???!!!
Lyrics
Music video with McFerrin, Robin Williams, and Bill Irwin.
Johnson also reveals that when musicians get high while making music, they illegally open themselves up to the spirit realm and "come in contact with demons who give them lyrics for the purpose of controlling people on earth." Kinky....
Something tells me that won't dissuade kids or musicians. Opps.
... If you can't make the trip to the depths of Dante's Inferno anytime soon, you can catch Rihanna performing "Umbrella" at the 2023 Super Bowl on Sunday, February 12.
Will god smite me for watching?
Lyrics, pretty tame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvBfHwUxHIk
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

'Tis the season :roll:
'Quivering' GOP Lawmaker Wigs Out Over 'Satanic Trees' For Christmas
Rep. Mike Gallagher is mocked after delivering one helluva hot take on Christmas trees.

... “I wouldn’t take my kids to it now, I don’t want them to be surrounded by satanic trees,” Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-Wisc.) griped on Fox News during a discussion of the National Railroad Museum’s Festival of Trees.
"surrounded"? It's one little tree.
The event features more than 70 trees, each decorated by a different group or local business.

“We have everything from a tree with hardware on it, a tea tree, we have a Lego tree,” CEO Jacqueline Frank told the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “It’s a lot of different organizations promoting their business.” ...
Oh okay, I can agree that capitalism is Satanic.

Satan is not actually the point of the tree.

In fact, the Satanic Temple’s Wisconsin chapter ― like many modern satanist groups ― says it doesn’t actually believe in or worship the devil. The organization wrote on Facebook in response to a question that they consider him “more of a literary character we admire and a mascot.”
Opps.
They added:

“Tree decorating is a fun and rewarding holiday tradition with roots in paganism. We decorated the tree to celebrate our own winter holiday, Sol Invictus, and in the spirit of religious plurality and togetherness with other world religions that have holidays around this time of year.” ...

“A tree made him cry and ruined his entire Christmas. And liberals are supposedly the snowflakes?” Satanic minister Tommy Lavin replied.

Others also mocked Gallagher:
"satanic trees"?

and yes Mike Gallagher, GOPs so foamy-mouthed with panic you gotta defend against attacks on yr kids re M&Ms, Mr Potatohead, Aunt Jemima, Target, Dr Seuss, Bud Lite...etc etc

so if it's satanic trees you're worried about, be afraid, be very afraid.
Where does one acquire these "satanic" trees? Need to start decorating for the holidays.
The Republican Party never misses an opportunity to use children as an excuse to stick their nose in other people's business, even when that business doesn't affect them in any way.

They don't approve, so they call it "woke". 🙄
My god, these people are perpetual victims of their own making. How tiresome.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Once again, Fox News is the only network you can count on to cover the stories that really matter.

#FauxNews
:---P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:14 am
Vrede too wrote:

Another COVIDiot con gets fish slapped:
Pope punishes leading critic Cardinal Burke in second action against conservative American prelates
Francis has decided to take measures to punish Cardinal Raymond Burke.

Pope Francis has decided to punish one of his highest-ranking critics, Cardinal Raymond Burke, by revoking his right to a subsidized Vatican apartment and salary in the second such radical action against a conservative American prelate this month, according to two people briefed on the measures.

Francis told a meeting of the heads of Vatican offices last week that he was moving against Burke because he was a source of “disunity” in the church, said one of the participants at the Nov. 20 meeting. The participant spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to reveal the contents of the encounter.

Francis said he was removing Burke’s privileges of having a subsidized Vatican apartment and salary as a retired cardinal because he was using the privileges against the church, said another person who was subsequently briefed on the pope’s measures. That person also spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to reveal the details....
:violin: I ain't sad about it.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The Religion Thread - evangelical crazy talk

They be seeing things

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/202 ... bee75f0000

“The lead surface displays “random scratches, striations, pitting, and indentions,” which are consistent with the nature of lead and the processes or erosion and weathering the artifact may have undergone over the centuries, they add.”

“ But no one is claiming that fishing weights were decorated with letters. The problem is that we might be very well dealing with a case of pareidolia, in which scholars with faith saw patterns that they wanted to see but are not actually there – just like when people see the face of Jesus in the burnt bits of their grilled cheese sandwich.”