The homophobic thread :>

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The homophobic thread :>

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:00 pm
viewtopic.php?p=182692#p182692
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:03 am
Yeah, I saw that earlier this morning. What an ass.
You did it again, gone in just 10 days!

Montana says, "Hey Tennessee, hold my beer."
Montana House Republicans discipline Rep Zooey Zephyr

Montana Republican lawmakers have voted to bar transgender Democratic lawmaker Zooey Zephyr from the House chamber.

She sparked a backlash last week when she said lawmakers would have "blood on their hands" if they restricted medical care for transgender youth.

Ahead of Wednesday's vote she vowed to "do what I have always done: I will rise in support of my community".

Republicans accused her of stoking violence and violating the chamber's decorum with her comment.

On 18 April Rep Zephyr registered her opposition to a proposed bill that would ban gender-affirming care for transgender youth in Montana.

"I hope the next time there's an invocation, when you bow your heads in prayer, you see the blood on your hands," Rep Zephyr said in reference to the high rates of suicide risk among transgender youth and adults.
She spoke the truth and RepuQs are ridiculous buttercups to say that's stoking violence. ALL of the trans-related violence comes from their hateful team.
... Rep Zephyr will keep her seat, but the measure bars her from being present on the House floor, anteroom, or galleries. She will only be allowed to participate in votes remotely.
Muzzled, sort of. It wasn't like the GQP listened to her, but they did just hand her a national megaphone.
Republican Majority Leader Sue Vinton, who introduced the motion, told lawmakers during debate on Wednesday that Rep Zephyr's actions put lawmakers and staff "at risk of harm".
:bs: :bs: :bs: :crybaby:
... Rep Zephyr, who represents the Missoula area, is the first openly transgender lawmaker elected in the state of Montana, and one of a handful of transgender lawmakers serving in state houses across the US.

In an interview with the BBC, she said she stood by her remarks and there was "blood on the legislature's hands".

"I wasn't being hyperbolic," she said. "When the speaker asks me to apologise for those remarks, what he's actually asking me to do is to be silent as my community faces real harm and real dangers." ...
I did not live in Zooey Zephyr's Missoula district and don't know if I would have supported her in the Dem primary. "one of the bluest districts in the state" so she probably didn't need much help in the general, but I'm proud of Missoula for sending her to the Leg. :clap:

This is an interesting plot twist:

(RW GQP) Montana governor lobbied by non-binary son to reject anti-trans bills
David Gianforte, who uses he/they pronouns, said they urged father Greg to stand up against ‘unjust, immoral’ legislation
Hey now, my Mom's brother was a share cropper. Good money for those who work it full time.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Once upon a time, wingnuttery wasn't as prevalent as it is now. These days it's a fucking pandemic. I used to send blistering emails to public officials on a pretty regular basis. But these days that would be a full time job just to cover Florida. I'm just not up to it. Hell, I've not even sent Marsha any hate mail in probably two years. I do remember getting to vote against her and for Bredesen.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:57 pm
Hey now, my Mom's brother was a share cropper. Good money for those who work it full time.
"talks like a Black billy.pilgrim's uncle" doesn't have the same implied sneer to it. ;)

Sounds like you had/are having some hellacious weather. I trust you're okay.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:24 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:57 pm
"talks like a Black billy.pilgrim's uncle" doesn't have the same implied sneer to it. ;)

Sounds like you had/are having some hellacious weather. I trust you're okay.
Weather is just fine.

Yeah, sharecropping is mostly a Jim Crow return to slavery without the responsibility of food and health care.

One of the 7 kids who grew up in the little sharecroppers house on our farm learned from my uncle to stay away from the tobacco, veggies and cotton. The money looks good, but too small at times and too large at harvest.
Sharecropping didn't work for most. It was a lot like our gig labor jobs: looks good from the outside, sucks on hindsight.

My uncle and his black friend saw that the major landowners were mostly too old to farm and all had made excellent money raising cattle. They each sharecropped herds on 6 or 8 farms, each drove a new pickup, lived in new houses, my aunt drove a Cadillac and so did bachelor Rodger.

It worked for Rodger much as slavery had worked for Uncle Nearest. All rules have exceptions.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:28 am
Weather is just fine.

Yeah, sharecropping is mostly a Jim Crow return to slavery without the responsibility of food and health care.

One of the 7 kids who grew up in the little sharecroppers house on our farm learned from my uncle to stay away from the tobacco, veggies and cotton. The money looks good, but too small at times and too large at harvest.
Sharecropping didn't work for most. It was a lot like our gig labor jobs: looks good from the outside, sucks on hindsight.

My uncle and his black friend saw that the major landowners were mostly too old to farm and all had made excellent money raising cattle. They each sharecropped herds on 6 or 8 farms, each drove a new pickup, lived in new houses, my aunt drove a Cadillac and so did bachelor Rodger.

It worked for Rodger much as slavery had worked for Uncle Nearest. All rules have exceptions.
Interesting article. No mention of sharecropping, but a lot of farmland leasing. At least around here it's tough for young farmers without wealthy parents or inherited land to get a toehold so they can build equity over the years. :(

Field of dreams: New farmers struggle to find land in WNC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:40 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:28 am
Weather is just fine.

Interesting article. No mention of sharecropping, but a lot of farmland leasing. At least around here it's tough for young farmers without wealthy parents or inherited land to get a toehold so they can build equity over the years. :(

Field of dreams: New farmers struggle to find land in WNC
That's probably the way more new farmers start. Easier to fail, but way more freedom to try new.
My uncle investment was only 1/2 the cattle and a pickup. The farm owned 1/2 the herd and paid all other expenses. They split 50/50.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

More ideas on formerly male athletes getting to play as new women: The main argument has been against former males playing as females because those that have done so have frequently dominated their game unfairly. But if you turn it around, it's easy to see what a difference there is and why the former males should not be eligible.

Take Britney Griner for example. She's 6'9" and one of the best WNMA players. Let her call herself a new male and put her in the NBA. How badly do you suppose she'd be pounded? If she actually made the team at all.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:05 pm
Once upon a time, wingnuttery wasn't as prevalent as it is now. These days it's a fucking pandemic. I used to send blistering emails to public officials on a pretty regular basis. But these days that would be a full time job just to cover Florida. I'm just not up to it. Hell, I've not even sent Marsha any hate mail in probably two years. I do remember getting to vote against her and for Bredesen.
:thumbup: A fentanyl OD sounds good compared to this wingnuttery OD.

I would go see this show:

This all-drag Grateful Dead tribute band is fighting the Tenn. ban by providing 'a place to celebrate and find joy'
The musicians of Bertha are proving that drag queens and the Grateful Dead are not such strange bedfellows.

And these shows:

Straight male rockers are donning frocks to protest anti-drag bills: 'If my job is to wear a dress to help, then I'll wear a dress all day.'
Guster, Yo La Tengo and Vandoliers have all recently worn dresses onstage, in a show of support for drag queens and queer people being targeted by conservative lawmakers.

:---P :---P Are Gov Lee and the Leg causing more drag? Otoh:

'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' is notorious for gender-bending costumes.
Here's why die-hard fans fear for its future amid drag bans.
"What constitutes theater, and what is drag?"

:(

Hayley Kiyoko says 'undercover cop' warned her not to bring out drag performers at Nashville (all ages) show

:obscene-birdiered: to the undercover cop, 1312.
Bravo to Hayley Kiyoko and her crew. :-|| :-||
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:27 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:05 pm
:thumbup: A fentanyl OD sounds good compared to this wingnuttery OD.

I would go see this show:

This all-drag Grateful Dead tribute band is fighting the Tenn. ban by providing 'a place to celebrate and find joy'
The musicians of Bertha are proving that drag queens and the Grateful Dead are not such strange bedfellows.

And these shows:

Straight male rockers are donning frocks to protest anti-drag bills: 'If my job is to wear a dress to help, then I'll wear a dress all day.'
Guster, Yo La Tengo and Vandoliers have all recently worn dresses onstage, in a show of support for drag queens and queer people being targeted by conservative lawmakers.

:---P :---P Are Gov Lee and the Leg causing more drag? Otoh:

'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' is notorious for gender-bending costumes.
Here's why die-hard fans fear for its future amid drag bans.
"What constitutes theater, and what is drag?"

:(

Hayley Kiyoko says 'undercover cop' warned her not to bring out drag performers at Nashville (all ages) show

:obscene-birdiered: to the undercover cop, 1312.
Bravo to Hayley Kiyoko and her crew. :-|| :-||
TN is beginning to give FL some competition for wingnut capital of the south. I've yet to see a drag show story hour at the library or one being announced....I may just make up a flyer and post it in the little park next to the library, sit around for a couple hours, and see what, if any, reaction it gets. Hell, if I had any female attire and makeup, I'd be tempted to just walk in the door to the children books section (it's downstairs) and grab a book off the shelf and just start reading. See what happens.
The Grateful Dead drag band should do the song "I Need A Miracle".....I think it would work good for a drag band.
I need a woman 'bout twice my age
A lady of nobility, gentility, and rage
A splendor in the dark, lightning on the draw
Who'll go right through the book and break each and every law

I got a feeling'
And it won't go away, oh no
Just one thing and I'll be okay
I need a miracle every day

I need a woman 'bout twice my height
Statuesque, raven tressed, a goddess of the night
A secret incantation, cabdle burning blue
We'll consult the spirits, maybe they'll know what to do

And it's real
And it won't go away, oh no
Can't get around it and can't run away

I need a woman 'bout twice my weight
A ton of fun who packs a gun with all that other freight
Find her in a side show, leave her in LA
Ride her like a surfer riding on a tidal wave

And it's real
Believe what I say
Just one more thing that I gotta say

It takes dynamite to get me up
Too much of everything is just enough
Just one more thing I gotta say

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:31 am
TN is beginning to give FL some competition for wingnut capital of the south. I've yet to see a drag show story hour at the library or one being announced....I may just make up a flyer and post it in the little park next to the library, sit around for a couple hours, and see what, if any, reaction it gets. Hell, if I had any female attire and makeup, I'd be tempted to just walk in the door to the children books section (it's downstairs) and grab a book off the shelf and just start reading. See what happens....
May not even need to go to that much effort. Just asking the library about sponsoring a Drag Queen Story Hour may cause a Kingsport meltdown. :twisted:

Texas is facing a housing crisis, a migrant crisis, a multi-year drought, and an epidemic of mass shootings. Ted Cruz, meanwhile, has opened an investigation into Bud Light.

:---P Great headline.
... Social conservatives across the country continue to clutch their pearls over Bud Light's partnership with influencer Dylan Mulvaney, a 26-year-old transgender activist who has shaken the far-right's perception of reality by existing in the open.
:o Horrors.
... Together with Sen. Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee, Cruz sent a letter to the beer industry's regulatory body, the Beer Institute, inquiring whether Anheuser-Busch's partnership with Mulvaney "violates the Beer Institute's guidelines prohibiting marketing to underage individuals."
Riiight, like barely 18 hot spokesmodels aren't marketing to barely adolescent boys. :roll: When are Marsha Marsha Marsha and Teddy gonna throw a fit over that?
"The Beer Institute must examine whether your company violated the Beer Institute's Advertising/Marketing Code and Buying Guidelines prohibiting marketing to individuals younger than the legal drinking age," the letter said, claiming that "Mulvaney's audience skews significantly younger than the legal drinking age."
Citation needed.
To avoid an investigation, Cruz and Blackburn offered Anheuser-Busch the option to "publicly sever its relationship with Dylan Mulvaney, publicly apologize to the American people for marketing alcoholic beverages to minors, and direct Dylan Mulvaney to remove any Anheuser-Busch content" from her social media platforms, they wrote in the letter.

The letter, which misgendered Mulvaney throughout, also seeks documents and information on how "Anheuser-Busch vets its partnerships and how Anheuser-Busch failed in assessing the propriety of a partnership with Dylan Mulvaney."
Modern christofascist RepuQs detest business freedom.
Meanwhile, in Cruz' home state of Texas:

Following the expiration of Title 42, the fates of thousands of immigrants are up in the air as politicians on both sides of the aisle play hot potato by busing them to different cities.

The state faces an urgent housing and affordability crisis. There are just 25 available rental units for every 100 low-income households, according to The Texas Tribune.

Texas is also grappling with a series of deadly extreme weather events. In 2022, at least 279 people in Texas died from extreme heat, and the year before that, 246 Texans died from a brutal winter freeze. And Texas farmers are bracing for another growing season beset by a multi-year drought.

Texas is also the epicenter of gun violence. It is the site of 5 of the 10 deadliest shootings in US history.
:---P :---P :---P :---P
Beer marketing, however — thanks to Cruz — has all the attention of the state's top leaders in Washington.
:---P :obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well, if there as ever any doubt that politics has become just a theatre of the absurd, that should do it.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I ain't drinking no beer ifin I don't know its polotics.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:11 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:31 am
TN is beginning to give FL some competition for wingnut capital of the south. I've yet to see a drag show story hour at the library or one being announced....I may just make up a flyer and post it in the little park next to the library, sit around for a couple hours, and see what, if any, reaction it gets. Hell, if I had any female attire and makeup, I'd be tempted to just walk in the door to the children books section (it's downstairs) and grab a book off the shelf and just start reading. See what happens....
May not even need to go to that much effort. Just asking the library about sponsoring a Drag Queen Story Hour may cause a Kingsport meltdown. :twisted:

Texas is facing a housing crisis, a migrant crisis, a multi-year drought, and an epidemic of mass shootings. Ted Cruz, meanwhile, has opened an investigation into Bud Light.

:---P Great headline.
... Social conservatives across the country continue to clutch their pearls over Bud Light's partnership with influencer Dylan Mulvaney, a 26-year-old transgender activist who has shaken the far-right's perception of reality by existing in the open.
:o Horrors.
... Together with Sen. Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee, Cruz sent a letter to the beer industry's regulatory body, the Beer Institute, inquiring whether Anheuser-Busch's partnership with Mulvaney "violates the Beer Institute's guidelines prohibiting marketing to underage individuals."
Riiight, like barely 18 hot spokesmodels aren't marketing to barely adolescent boys. :roll: When are Marsha Marsha Marsha and Teddy gonna throw a fit over that?
"The Beer Institute must examine whether your company violated the Beer Institute's Advertising/Marketing Code and Buying Guidelines prohibiting marketing to individuals younger than the legal drinking age," the letter said, claiming that "Mulvaney's audience skews significantly younger than the legal drinking age."
Citation needed.
To avoid an investigation, Cruz and Blackburn offered Anheuser-Busch the option to "publicly sever its relationship with Dylan Mulvaney, publicly apologize to the American people for marketing alcoholic beverages to minors, and direct Dylan Mulvaney to remove any Anheuser-Busch content" from her social media platforms, they wrote in the letter.

The letter, which misgendered Mulvaney throughout, also seeks documents and information on how "Anheuser-Busch vets its partnerships and how Anheuser-Busch failed in assessing the propriety of a partnership with Dylan Mulvaney."
Modern christofascist RepuQs detest business freedom.
Meanwhile, in Cruz' home state of Texas:

Following the expiration of Title 42, the fates of thousands of immigrants are up in the air as politicians on both sides of the aisle play hot potato by busing them to different cities.

The state faces an urgent housing and affordability crisis. There are just 25 available rental units for every 100 low-income households, according to The Texas Tribune.

Texas is also grappling with a series of deadly extreme weather events. In 2022, at least 279 people in Texas died from extreme heat, and the year before that, 246 Texans died from a brutal winter freeze. And Texas farmers are bracing for another growing season beset by a multi-year drought.

Texas is also the epicenter of gun violence. It is the site of 5 of the 10 deadliest shootings in US history.
:---P :---P :---P :---P
Beer marketing, however — thanks to Cruz — has all the attention of the state's top leaders in Washington.
:---P :obscene-birdiered:
I have some books due next week. I figure on asking whoever is there at the desk if anyone has ever asked permission to hold a drag show event for kids there at the library and what became of that request. If they say "no, nobody's ever asked about that" I'll see what kind of reaction I get when I suggest that I know of an organization that puts on these shows and that they'd like to do one here. Just to see what the response would be. I'm sure it would be "well, you'd have to check with the people at city hall about it" or something like that.

I would not be surprised to find out that a good many of these big drag show freakouts were organized and even performed by the very people who profess to be outraged over it. It's just suspicious to me that all of a sudden there's a plethora of drag shows where kids are present. That Libs of Tik Tok is the primary suspect. I just have a hunch this is all a bunch of bullshit.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 8:59 pm
I have some books due next week. I figure on asking whoever is there at the desk if anyone has ever asked permission to hold a drag show event for kids there at the library and what became of that request. If they say "no, nobody's ever asked about that" I'll see what kind of reaction I get when I suggest that I know of an organization that puts on these shows and that they'd like to do one here. Just to see what the response would be. I'm sure it would be "well, you'd have to check with the people at city hall about it" or something like that.

I would not be surprised to find out that a good many of these big drag show freakouts were organized and even performed by the very people who profess to be outraged over it. It's just suspicious to me that all of a sudden there's a plethora of drag shows where kids are present. That Libs of Tik Tok is the primary suspect. I just have a hunch this is all a bunch of bullshit.
So?
Careful, Marco Rubio is watching.
Dodgers Reinvite Drag Group After Stupidly Capitulating to Marco Rubio
The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence confirmed they'd been in talks with the Los Angeles team and accepted their invitation to rejoin Pride Night.

The L.A. Dodgers have listened to reason, and as of Monday afternoon, announced that they’ve reinvited the charity drag group Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence to the organization’s Pride Night next month—after disinviting the group last week when Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and other conservative activists (many far from Los Angeles) threw a prolonged temper tantrum over the Sisters....

Naturally, and, if anything, proving that the Sisters shouldn’t have been removed in the first place, Rubio and Catholic rights (?) activists have already resumed smearing the group and criticizing the Dodgers’ decision, claiming the Sisters’ use of Catholic imagery and paraphernalia for their drag costumes is “anti-Catholic.”

... I almost have to laugh at Rubio and conservative Catholic groups having the gall to call queer people anti-Catholic since they’ve been forced to face generations of anti-LGBTQ oppression and attacks from the Church and its followers—you know, like what we’re seeing now. Even more ironically, some Catholic groups—the same groups covering for a Church that’s routinely embroiled in child sexual abuse scandals—have criticized the Sisters for being dangerous to children.
:---P
I can’t emphasize enough that the same people now melting down over the Dodgers’ doing the right thing, never should have had the influence to get the Sisters removed in the first place. This was all an embarrassing, easily avoidable mess of the Dodgers’ own creation. But nonetheless, taking action and reinviting the Sisters is ultimately better than not doing so.
:thumbup: Good on the Sisters, other LGBTQ groups, allies and the Dodgers!

Comments:
The New York Times reported today that over the past 70 years nearly 2,000 minors were abused in Illinois by the Catholic Church. None of the abusers were drag queens.

I’m sure Rubio and these other ghouls screeching about “anti-Catholic bigots” and “protecting children” will be releasing retractions and apologies to the Sisters any minute now.
Many of the SPI members are Catholic. How anti-Catholic could they be?
I mean I’m a Catholic and they seem amazing.

Meanwhile there have actually been increases in anti-Catholic crimes but they tend to involve the usual swastikas on gravestones and vandalism, not people in nun costumes.
I was raised Catholic (no longer), and I fail to see how people dressing in drag as nuns is at all anti-Catholic? By doing fundraising for the sick and expressing compassion, they are literally being Christlike. I dunno, does not compute. I’d also think that the tough nuns I knew would be amused and not offended.

I mean, obviously, Rubio is being outraged to whip up his base. It’s just dumb and mean.
Not coincidently “dumb and mean” describe both these actions and the republican base.
A confused kid rock is about to shoot a nun.
:D
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

That "Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence" sounds like something I could really get behind, not least due to my extensive experience in their chosen field of perpetual indulgence.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:27 am
That "Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence" sounds like something I could really get behind, not least due to my extensive experience in their chosen field of perpetual indulgence.
"get behind" :lol:

It's chosen field of perpetual indulgence is using "drag and religious imagery to call attention to sexual intolerance and (it) satirizes issues of gender and morality."
Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence

Is there something you wish to share that we don't already know, nttawwt, and have you considered starting a Kingsport chapter?

So, did you return those books yet?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 10:14 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:27 am
"get behind" :lol:

It's chosen field of perpetual indulgence is using "drag and religious imagery to call attention to sexual intolerance and (it) satirizes issues of gender and morality."
Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence

Is there something you wish to share that we don't already know, nttawwt, and have you considered starting a Kingsport chapter?

So, did you return those books yet?
Uhhh, just like they say "there's more than one way to skin a cat," I say there are many ways to perpetually indulge. You just have to pick one. And for the more intrepid, there could easily be two or three areas of perpetual indulgence a connoisseur of indulgence may engage in concurrently. This is risky for a novice and not recommended. Seek out a connoisseur of known renown and you can't go wrong. Perpetualism.....indulgenceology. Never a dull moment.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A Texas bishop accused a sick nun on a feeding tube of breaking her chastity vow. Now she and her Sisters are fighting back.

I won't hold my breath waiting for self appointed defender of Catholicism Marco Rubio to weigh in.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

In addition to not knowing the difference in dead or alive honorees, there's this:

"Since its designation by Congress in 1999, National Military Appreciation Month is the nation’s opportunity to honor the service and sacrifice of servicemembers and their families. Though Memorial Day is the only federally recognized holiday in May, there are a handful of other specific military holidays spread throughout the month including Loyalty Day, Public Service Recognition Week, VE Day, Armed Forces Day and Military Spouse Appreciation Day."