Coronavirus

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
bannination
Captain

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post by bannination »

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

oops, we missed all 6

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... vastation/

"Fundamentally, we define success in managing the outbreak as limiting the number of cases and deaths per capita; failure is the opposite. Examples of success include South Korea, Taiwan and New Zealand; all have rates of fewer than 300 cases per million people and no more than five deaths per million. Examples of failure include Spain, Italy and France, which have more than 2,200 cases per million people and death rates above 280 per million."

"At least six factors are responsible for this difference. Understanding them is essential as our government and others struggle to deal with covid-19 and consider how to better prepare for future pandemics."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

https://www.wyff4.com/article/we-all-ne ... h/32205517

South Carolina is opening retail shops and beaches. Retail shops can only have 20% of max capacity at a time.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:26 am

South Carolina is opening retail shops and beaches. Retail shops can only have 20% of max capacity at a time.
A cautionary tale?

A (1918 Philadelphia) parade that killed thousands?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:11 am
Whack9 wrote:

A cautionary tale?

Yeah I'm wondering if that's gonna be the case.

Some people seem think it's not that serious. I still hear people say "the regular flu has killed more people (false now), and that the death rate is vastly inflated because many extra deaths are being counted as Corona induced.

I wonder if there's gonna be a flare up in the coming weeks.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:02 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:11 am
Whack9 wrote:

A cautionary tale?

Yeah I'm wondering if that's gonna be the case.

Some people seem think it's not that serious. I still hear people say "the regular flu has killed more people (false now), and that the death rate is vastly inflated because many extra deaths are being counted as Corona induced.

I wonder if there's gonna be a flare up in the coming weeks.
I hope it won't happen, but what if the wingnuts and trumpers succeed in "opening" things and then a second more devastating wave results from it. I've been wondering what the hell they're going to say about that and who they will blame it on. I also wonder if they even consider that scenario.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Protest issues of the upper crust: "I can't get my eyebrows waxed..." Fer real.
Ironically, Encinitas is the current home of Richard Dreyfuss, the one who wanted to close the beaches in "Jaws." :lol:
A crowd of roughly 200 people gathered in Encinitas Sunday morning to protest the closure of beaches and walking trails because of concerns over the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Encinitas protesters carried signs with phrases such as: “This is punishment not protection,” “Surfing is not a crime,” “Government knows best LOL,” “Your fear doesn’t remove my rights,” and “Commies can’t surf.”
Most protesters were not wearing masks or practicing physical distancing. They stood on the side of the road on South Coast Highway near the Swami’s Beach pedestrian crossing for more than an hour, then walked through nearby residential neighborhoods.
Crista Curtis, a Cardiff resident who organized Sunday’s protest, said “the last straw” for her was when Encinitas last week closed the Coastal Rail Trail, a popular walking path.
She said she organized the protest mainly to call for the reopening of beaches and trails, but she also thinks more businesses should be allowed to reopen, such as beauty salons.
“I can’t get my eyebrows waxed one-on-one? I can’t get my nails done?” she said. “I don’t see the point of all businesses being closed.”
Curtis was recently in the news for helping to lead opposition to a homeless parking lot in Encinitas.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:11 pm
Protest issues of the upper crust: "I can't get my eyebrows waxed..." Fer real.
Ironically, Encinitas is the current home of Richard Dreyfuss, the one who wanted to close the beaches in "Jaws." :lol:
A crowd of roughly 200 people gathered in Encinitas Sunday morning to protest the closure of beaches and walking trails because of concerns over the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Encinitas protesters carried signs with phrases such as: “This is punishment not protection,” “Surfing is not a crime,” “Government knows best LOL,” “Your fear doesn’t remove my rights,” and “Commies can’t surf.”
Most protesters were not wearing masks or practicing physical distancing. They stood on the side of the road on South Coast Highway near the Swami’s Beach pedestrian crossing for more than an hour, then walked through nearby residential neighborhoods.
Crista Curtis, a Cardiff resident who organized Sunday’s protest, said “the last straw” for her was when Encinitas last week closed the Coastal Rail Trail, a popular walking path.
She said she organized the protest mainly to call for the reopening of beaches and trails, but she also thinks more businesses should be allowed to reopen, such as beauty salons.
“I can’t get my eyebrows waxed one-on-one? I can’t get my nails done?” she said. “I don’t see the point of all businesses being closed.”
Curtis was recently in the news for helping to lead opposition to a homeless parking lot in Encinitas.

I was sort of agreeing with her until she admitted that she is too stupid to wax her own eyebrows or put paint on her fingernails.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Whatever happened to hydroxychloroquine?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:11 pm
... Crista Curtis ...
“I can’t get my eyebrows waxed one-on-one? ..."
Crista Curtis fails simple arithmetic. It's not "one-on-one". It's one infected person on however many clients the eyebrow waxer sees. There's a simple solution:
Spoiler:
Or, her dark eyebrows won't stand out if she quits bleaching her hair, or bleaches the brows at the same time.

Same rally, another genius protester:

A protestor holds a misspelled sign reading, “Impeach Fauchi,” which refers to Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

bannination
Captain

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:49 pm

I hope it won't happen, but what if the wingnuts and trumpers succeed in "opening" things and then a second more devastating wave results from it. I've been wondering what the hell they're going to say about that and who they will blame it on. I also wonder if they even consider that scenario.
First they would have had to actually shut things down and work on making tests. This just pissed 2 trillion dollars in the hands of millionaires and wasted all our time.

This thing will not be solved until we have a massive amount of tests.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:39 pm
Trump tones down the hydroxychloroquine hype

Faux Noise, too, "for reasons that remain unclear." As usual, the ovine Trumpettes and Faux Noise viewers have followed suit. My guess - It was always meant to create a short term impression of PINO as an effective savior when all the actual evidence contradicted that. Hydroxychloroquine was never going to be something for us to hold them accountable to. Purpose served, next.
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:06 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:39 pm
Trump tones down the hydroxychloroquine hype

Faux Noise, too, "for reasons that remain unclear." As usual, the ovine Trumpettes and Faux Noise viewers have followed suit. My guess - It was always meant to create a short term impression of PINO as an effective savior when all the actual evidence contradicted that. Hydroxychloroquine was never going to be something for us to hold them accountable to. Purpose served, next.
From what I hear it made it nearly impossible for those people with conditions the medication does work on to get now. :cussing:

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Lol damn - oil prices dipped into the negatives.

I think a barrel of oil is around $1 now.

Back during the run up to the 08 recession a barrel of oil reached ~150 bucks.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Whack9 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:52 am
Lol damn - oil prices dipped into the negatives.

I think a barrel of oil is around $1 now.

Back during the run up to the 08 recession a barrel of oil reached ~150 bucks.
Consider if there were an "oil virus" that ate all the oil. I bet trump and the corporate stooges would get right on that.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Gas stations are gonna start paying us to fill our cars up with gas since oil is in the negative.

That's how economics works right?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:14 pm
Is it my imagination, but don't most N95 respirator type masks do little to nothing to filter exhaled air? That their purpose is to protect the wearer? If true, this would mean that an N95 respirator will not do much more than no mask at all when it comes to protecting others?

Example: I have some industrial style dust masks that can be fitted with N95 or N100 style filters. But those filters only work on incoming air. The exhaled air is simply though some movable flaps, with no filtration.

Or, am I missing something?

The N95 disposable masks I've seen pictured seem to have little plastic dohickies that I'm assuming are exhale ports. Presumably unfiltered.

The non-N95 masks seem to be one piece with no exhale ports so, they would seem to be superior when it comes to protecting others against one's potentially infectious breath.

No?
Good question, and my first stop was wikipedia, and those images do not have any type of flap you are speaking of -- though I know exactly what you're talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N95_mask

Perhaps there are different types? Or someone passing off knock offs as N95's?