Coronavirus

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:45 am
I wonder what she would say if given the choices my county had.

1) A walk along a mostly deserted beach or a swim

2) Or being forced off the beach into an overcrowded hotel room.
I can't speak for her, but I think you're offering up a false choice. People were going to be in the room some of the time with their hotel roommates, anyhow. So, that cross-contamination was certain, regardless. If you mean that people were further crowding their hotel rooms, that's on them and is something that all experts would have discouraged.

That said, I think we agree that DeSantis overall was not aggressive enough soon enough, whether from ignorance, gullibility to PINO and Faux Noise, or Spring Break greed.
To: President Trump, Governors who have not issued a statewide order
Keep people safe: Issue a stay at home order in every state

Everyone must stay at home if they are able. We know this will mitigate the pandemic and save lives! There must be a national order, and Governors should copy it for their states to ensure we're doing all we can to protect people.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:00 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:45 am
I wonder what she would say if given the choices my county had.

1) A walk along a mostly deserted beach or a swim

2) Or being forced off the beach into an overcrowded hotel room.
I can't speak for her, but I think you're offering up a false choice. People were going to be in the room some of the time with their hotel roommates, anyhow. So, that cross-contamination was certain, regardless. If you mean that people were further crowding their hotel rooms, that's on them and is something that all experts would have discouraged.

That said, I think we agree that DeSantis overall was not aggressive enough soon enough, whether from ignorance, gullibility to PINO and Faux Noise, or Spring Break greed.
To: President Trump, Governors who have not issued a statewide order
Keep people safe: Issue a stay at home order in every state

Everyone must stay at home if they are able. We know this will mitigate the pandemic and save lives! There must be a national order, and Governors should copy it for their states to ensure we're doing all we can to protect people.

Given the very real choices my county had, I feel comfortable that she wouldn't take the spring break filled hotel rooms and hallways over an open beach far far from any sewage disposal sites.

My county screwed up - they nearly always do. I don't know why, but they go insane at any hint of any kind of event.

As for the virus at the beach. Could be, but so far I've only seen ones person's "estimate".

I don't know the answer. Maybe we all have to lock our doors and let the infected die in their homes, or maybe just open things up and see what happens - I don't know, but I don't understand doing things that make things worse.

Escambia county could have reasonably closed the hotels, stopped any new vacation rentals and announced closing the beaches to happen a few days later.

Or just stopped the vacation rentals and ticketed anyone in any non-family group on the beach.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:23 am
... As for the virus at the beach. Could be, but so far I've only seen ones person's "estimate".
Agreed, that's just one scientist, and the article and even she hedges.
... Escambia county could have reasonably closed the hotels, stopped any new vacation rentals and announced closing the beaches to happen a few days later.

Or just stopped the vacation rentals and ticketed anyone in any non-family group on the beach.
Would that have unacceptably crowded the airport? Did they need a couple or few days to reasonably get folks out of there? Idk.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Water temperature at San Diego now is around 60ish, and air temps on the beach are generally mid-60's. Water at Clearwater is pushing 70 and air temp is likely 80's. There aren't a lot of tourist or local swimmers here, except for the surfers, who wear wet suits. And the surfers were the ones most distressed over closing the beach. They argue, with reasonable validity, that in the water surfers don't want to be with 30 feet of each other, much less 6; that they don't hang in groups on the beach, but simply walk across the beach to the water; and leave when they're finished surfing. The Scripps article was written at least in some part to the idea that the water and beach should be open, with restrictions. She's the scientist - I'm not - and I'm sure her theory is sound. But from a practical standpoint it looks like it's a bit of a stretch for virus to live on something - then live on the ground - then live in the rain drainage (rare anyway) - the live in the ocean and infect somebody. Probably could happen. Might even be a gonna happen. But I'm still thinking the beach risk is lower than most other places. Not that we go ourselves anymore.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I just think it's "Interesting." I would probably still go to an uncrowded, legal beach until her theories are validated.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:53 pm
I just think it's "Interesting." I would probably still go to an uncrowded, legal beach until her theories are validated.
It is interesting, and given how much is unknown, I'd not totally discount nor totally buy in to any given line of thought. But as of Friday night, there are no more legal beaches, as the last hold-outs, Oceanside and Coronado, closed down. Too much crowding, despite on-site patrols. Street parking along the seawall in Carlsbad closed down too. We've found a so-far uncrowded area to walk, in an office park between the (closed) Flower Fields and the (closed) Legoland. Interesting tenants in that park. There's a school of Gemology, a Museum of Music Making, something called "Bio-Clean" https://biocleanenvironmental.com/ SeaSpine https://www.seaspine.com/ and, next to each other in the same building, diet guru people Jennie Craig headquarters and super-burger Islands Restaurant headquarters https://www.islandsrestaurants.com/ . I wonder if the Jennie Craig people get their lunches catered by Islands.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:38 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:23 am
... As for the virus at the beach. Could be, but so far I've only seen ones person's "estimate".
Agreed, that's just one scientist, and the article and even she hedges.
... Escambia county could have reasonably closed the hotels, stopped any new vacation rentals and announced closing the beaches to happen a few days later.

Would that have unacceptably crowded the airport? Did they need a couple or few days to reasonably get folks out of there? Idk.
I do. They started at the wrong end of a chain of events.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Until?, more like if

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:27 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Until?, more like if
They mean the same thing in this context.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I have no qualifications whatsoever to argue with "Kim Prather, a leading atmospheric chemist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography" but I have read a lot about this virus since it came out, and her theory doesn't seem likely to pose a significant threat IRL.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:36 pm
https://news.yahoo.com/why-does-the-cor ... 26207.html
Last week the number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus passed the 1 million milestone, and it continues to grow at an alarming rate. However, not all of these infections have presented themselves in the same way. Coronavirus patients are showing a wide range of symptoms and the exact reason why is still a mystery — but we do have some clues as to what factors can influence the severity of the disease.

While the most common symptoms are fever, cough and shortness of breath, there are numerous reports of coronavirus patients experiencing nonrespiratory symptoms. A study of 204 patients in Huabie, China, published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology found that just over half of patients experienced gastrointestinal symptoms such as loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The New York Times reports that the coronavirus sometimes presents with neurological indications, including swelling of the brain and seizures. Other cases have shown cardiac issues as well as muscle aches and extreme fatigue.

And then there are patients who have tested positive for the virus but report mild symptoms or none at all.

So why does the coronavirus affect people in such different ways?

“The basic premise is that humans are not machines,” says Yahoo News public health contributor Kathryn Jacobsen. “There are many factors that influence how our bodies react to pathogens. For coronavirus, two of the most important seem to be age and health status.”
I read an article yesterday about the numbers. Only confirmed cases are counted, so no deaths before the test are counted and in some areas nursing homes, medical examiners, funeral homes, etc. are saying that a lot of cases aren't being tested because they are overwhelmed and test kits are being reserved for sick people.

The article said that after the H1N1 in 2012(?) estimates indicate that only 1 in 7 deaths were counted in real time.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Shortly after I used the Shipt service to buy all the groceries I "wanted" my wife had a socially distanced conversation with a neighbor who works at Walmart. She expressed how angry she was getting because of the risks she was taking so people could buy all the unnecessary crap they normally buy while out shopping.

I have stopped buying - I'll reevaluate in a couple of weeks

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/groce ... r-BB12eFSF

We don't need to make it harder on store clerks and hospital workers by doing anything unnecessary.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:51 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:41 am

I read an article yesterday about the numbers. Only confirmed cases are counted, so no deaths before the test are counted and in some areas nursing homes, medical examiners, funeral homes, etc. are saying that a lot of cases aren't being tested because they are overwhelmed and test kits are being reserved for sick people.

The article said that after the H1N1 in 2012(?) estimates indicate that only 1 in 7 deaths were counted in real time.
Yes, and the lack of accurate test kits is only making the pandemic worse. I cannot say this is anybody's fault in particular, because it takes time to develop and produce these kits, but it seems that starting earlier on that and not giving false hope, as Trump did, could have made a big difference. Cause who knows how many people got infected by those who later got real sick and finally got tested...
I've seen more than one story about how the US was offered test kits from WHO that were made in Germany and trump refused them. If true, fault can be placed on trump. I hope nobody brings that up in one of trump's daily mutual admiration society gatherings; I don't need to see trump throwing yet another petty juvenile whine fest and tornado of lies if anyone asserts he dropped the ball on anything.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

“My mother is not expendable, and your mother is not expendable, and our brothers and sisters are not expendable, and we’re not going to accept a premise that human life is disposable, and we’re not gonna put a dollar figure on human life. Whatever it costs.” Cuomo said. Signs bill legalizing abortion up till birth.

“Never allow a crisis to go to waste,” Emanuel said.

Media asks about Atkinson fired, handling of the alleged whistleblower during a coronavirus briefing update.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:22 pm
“My mother is not expendable, and your mother is not expendable, and our brothers and sisters are not expendable, and we’re not going to accept a premise that human life is disposable, and we’re not gonna put a dollar figure on human life. Whatever it costs.” Cuomo said. Signs bill legalizing abortion up till birth.

“Never allow a crisis to go to waste,” Emanuel said.

Media asks about Atkinson fired, handling of the alleged whistleblower during a coronavirus briefing update.
Never let a chance to be a victim go to waste.
Maybe the press asks trump questions at these daily pep rallies disguised as briefings because most of the information that comes out of the trump administration is either a tweet (that cannot be questioned) or a lie or a whine or an act of stolen credit for something someone else did.
And it could also have something to do with the fact that trump himself turns these supposedly serious briefings into a brag fest about himself, how popular he is on Facebook, how high his tv ratings are, or why nothing is his fault. The press only asks trump questions just to see what sort of lie he will spew out.....they already know why he fired the IG. It's because he considers himself above the law and beyond any need for any sort of oversight that is required by law. And I'm sure that as a gullible cult member and perpetual victim, you totally agree. And don't forget; never let a chance to be a victim go to waste.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

You referring to a National health crisis briefing as pep rallies is as terrible as the media journalist who asked the question about Atkinson fired, handling of the alleged whistleblower during the coronavirus briefing update.

“Never allow a crisis to go to waste,” Obama's advisor said.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:50 pm
You referring to a National health crisis briefing as pep rallies is as terrible as the media journalist who asked the question about Atkinson fired, handling of the alleged whistleblower during the coronavirus briefing update.

Hey man, here's a pro-tip for you. If you take this:
and put it in your signature next to an asterisk or something, whenever you want to repeat the same thing for the nth time, all you'll need to do is type an asterisk in your post and we can just refer to your signature. Like they do in books with footnotes.

You can do the same thing with the No Malarkey Biden bus too. Just add some footnotes to your signature and reference them in your posts.

If you need help doing it, PM me. We got this brother. Teamwork. Efficiency. Never let an asterisk go to waste.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

This bus?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:50 pm

Nah, using a national health emergency briefing as a thinly disguised campaign rally or a chance to demand "gratitude" or a chance to tell some more lies or a chance to deny any responsibility for anything is terrible. Never let a health emergency go to waste when you can use it as a way to self promote and brag and lie.

O Really
Admiral

Trump got carried away at his session and engaged in his usual hyperbole - "The break-out of china virus in the US is bigger and affects more people than anywhere in the world. There are more sick people than you've ever seen. Pipple say nobody could ever have more sick people than MAGA-land, and it couldn't have happened without ME ME ME!"