Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:48 pm
Not defending what, why, or how they did it back then, but I'm not sure I have a problem with the concept of convict leasing overall. How much worse could it be than spending every day being Big Bubba's bitch in some place like Angola or any number of other cruel and de-humanizing places.
I disagree. There's way too much room for kickbacks, graft, beatings, brutality, theft, ...

If you oppose private prisons, this has to be worse.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:17 pm
A comment about the Legacy Museum and the Memorial.

Yes you can take your 4 year old.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... n-museums/
:clap: :( Not as young as 4, but I took my niece and nephew to Andersonville.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:06 pm
O Really wrote:
Not defending what, why, or how they did it back then, but I'm not sure I have a problem with the concept of convict leasing overall. How much worse could it be than spending every day being Big Bubba's bitch in some place like Angola or any number of other cruel and de-humanizing places.
I disagree. There's way too much room for kickbacks, graft, beatings, brutality, theft, ...

Plus, as with private prisons convict leasing becomes an incentive to fill the prisons and keep them that way.

Was convict leasing mentioned in your WaPo article? I might have missed it.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:04 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:17 pm
A comment about the Legacy Museum and the Memorial.

Yes you can take your 4 year old.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... n-museums/
:clap: :( Not as young as 4, but I took my niece and nephew to Andersonville.
I took my kid at 7. He still talks about it. Too bad that you can't see Camp Douglas. At least Andersonville was warmer.

From Wikipedia
After a successful tunneling escape on December 3, Colonel DeLand ordered all floors torn out of barracks, to be replaced by dirt even with the floor joist.[115] This resulted in conditions that increased sickness and mortality.[115] The garrison also tore out partitions in the barracks.[115] DeLand confiscated warm coats, possibly to prevent escapes but as likely in retaliation for past escapes and attempts.[115] On December 17, 1863, the prison camp officials closed the barber shop and newsstand, and stopped sales of stamps, envelopes and writing paper, likely also in retaliation for the major escape attempt.[116] When Sergeant-Major Oscar Cliett of the 55th Georgia Infantry Regiment reported to DeLand that his men rejected an offer of amnesty if they joined the Union Navy because they could not swim, DeLand had him placed in the dungeon for twenty-one days.[116] Despite these harsh actions, DeLand also worked to free fifty underage prisoners who he discovered were between the ages of 14 and 17[117] The Army did not free them.[117]
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:

I oppose private prisons largely because I oppose privatization of anything that should be all rights be a governmental function. As soon as you privatize something it becomes profit-driven, which often works to the detriment of the public. On the other hand, I don't object to a public-private partnership or public entities contracting with private firms for various services. F'rinstance, as long as the government sets and enforces the standards and makes the hiring decisions, I don't have a problem with contracting with Manpower to do the recruiting and screening.

There are a lot of people in prisons for non-violent crimes, and maybe we could argue over whether they should be there at all, but nevertheless they are there. A lot of those people have skills, or could learn skills, that would keep them being and feeling to themselves a continuing part of society. Work release people generally do better when they get out than those who've been inside their whole term. Solitary confinement people do the worst. There are a lot of mutual benefits that could come from a reasonably well run leasing program. It's not like prisoner's lives are all rosy now.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:44 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:

I oppose private prisons largely because I oppose privatization of anything that should be all rights be a governmental function. As soon as you privatize something it becomes profit-driven, which often works to the detriment of the public. On the other hand, I don't object to a public-private partnership or public entities contracting with private firms for various services. F'rinstance, as long as the government sets and enforces the standards and makes the hiring decisions, I don't have a problem with contracting with Manpower to do the recruiting and screening.

There are a lot of people in prisons for non-violent crimes, and maybe we could argue over whether they should be there at all, but nevertheless they are there. A lot of those people have skills, or could learn skills, that would keep them being and feeling to themselves a continuing part of society. Work release people generally do better when they get out than those who've been inside their whole term. Solitary confinement people do the worst. There are a lot of mutual benefits that could come from a reasonably well run leasing program. It's not like prisoner's lives are all rosy now.
I would agree, except that I can't imagine anyone involved in our prison Industry creating a non-abusive system for contracting labor.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:45 am

I would agree, except that I can't imagine anyone involved in our prison Industry creating a non-abusive system for contracting labor.
I wouldn't expect non-abusive, just less abusive or at least abusive-neutral. Although there are exceptions, such as the low-security Martha Stewart type places, most prisons are cruel de-humanizing psycho-producing factories. And there might be improvements ("reform") from time to time but the underlying theory that people who violate most any law should be locked away isn't going to allow for long-term change. And there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Some states take pride in their "toughness." But that shouldn't stop others from being creative.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:02 pm
I wouldn't expect non-abusive, just less abusive or at least abusive-neutral. Although there are exceptions, such as the low-security Martha Stewart type places, most prisons are cruel de-humanizing psycho-producing factories. And there might be improvements ("reform") from time to time but the underlying theory that people who violate most any law should be locked away isn't going to allow for long-term change. And there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Some states take pride in their "toughness." But that shouldn't stop others from being creative.
Wouldn't a lot of leased convicts still live in the prisons, and what do you say to people complaining about jobs with real wages being stolen?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:16 pm

Wouldn't a lot of leased convicts still live in the prisons, and what do you say to people complaining about jobs with real wages being stolen?
Yes, but as has been demonstrated IRL, living in prison at night and going out to work during the day is better than 24-hour incarceration.

I would ignore them unless they wanted to trade lives with the prisoner. They're probably the same people that complain about all the migrants taking jobs away from caucasians. Every time I pass a field with a bunch of immigrants working, I look for the lines of caucasians wanting those jobs and can't seem to ever find any.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:42 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... what do you say to people complaining about jobs with real wages being stolen?
... I would ignore them unless they wanted to trade lives with the prisoner. They're probably the same people that complain about all the migrants taking jobs away from caucasians. Every time I pass a field with a bunch of immigrants working, I look for the lines of caucasians wanting those jobs and can't seem to ever find any.
Not just caucasian workers would be replaced. :problem:

Assuming the program is voluntary lest it run afoul of slavery law, leased convicts won't agree to field work, either.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:33 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:42 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... what do you say to people complaining about jobs with real wages being stolen?
... I would ignore them unless they wanted to trade lives with the prisoner. They're probably the same people that complain about all the migrants taking jobs away from caucasians. Every time I pass a field with a bunch of immigrants working, I look for the lines of caucasians wanting those jobs and can't seem to ever find any.
Not just caucasian workers would be replaced. :problem:

Assuming the program is voluntary lest it run afoul of slavery law, leased convicts won't agree to field work, either.
I don't think I mentioned voluntary, except it wouldn't be any good to put people in the program who didn't want to be there. But it's not voluntary to make licence plates, nor work in the prison laundry or kitchen. It's not voluntary to work on litter pickup. Good performance in a lease job could reduce the total sentence, maybe they could keep the job when they got out. Good outcomes.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:07 pm
I don't think I mentioned voluntary, except it wouldn't be any good to put people in the program who didn't want to be there. But it's not voluntary to make licence plates, nor work in the prison laundry or kitchen. It's not voluntary to work on litter pickup. Good performance in a lease job could reduce the total sentence, maybe they could keep the job when they got out. Good outcomes.
I suspect that there are differences in law between prison work like laundry or kitchen, state work like license plates or litter pickup and the very different renting out of involuntary labor to private entities, but idk. Wouldn't we call it slavery if other nations (China>Apple?) did it? I'm sure that convicts will like a voluntary program, including ones that want to escape or want access to drugs and other contraband, but I'm not convinced that it's good public policy, for the reasons billy.pilgrim and I have listed.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:52 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:07 pm
I suspect that there are differences in law between prison work like laundry or kitchen, state work like license plates or litter pickup and the very different renting out of involuntary labor to private entities, but idk. Wouldn't we call it slavery if other nations (China>Apple?) did it? I'm sure that convicts will like a voluntary program, including ones that want to escape or want access to drugs and other contraband, but I'm not convinced that it's good public policy, for the reasons billy.pilgrim and I have listed.
Laboring outside worked great for Everett, Pete and Delmar

O Really
Admiral

Well, look, I didn't set out to be a strong proponent of convict leasing, and it may be a terrible idea. But as in so many other things, I don't think that the risk of some challenges should mean tossing the whole idea. That's the same thinking the anti-gun people have - if you can't totally eliminate any shootings, then the law must be no good. And you can't eliminate every government program just because some may engage in fraud or theft (right, Senator Scott?)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:00 pm
:thumbup:

Leaving the rest of the issue as pretty well talked out . . .
O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:07 pm
... That's the same thinking the anti-gun people have - if you can't totally eliminate any shootings, then the law must be no good....
:headscratch: Every anti-gunner I know aims to reduce the carnage by small amounts or large, whatever they can get. Examples?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:34 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:00 pm
:thumbup:

Leaving the rest of the issue as pretty well talked out . . .
O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:07 pm
... That's the same thinking the anti-gun people have - if you can't totally eliminate any shootings, then the law must be no good....
:headscratch: Every anti-gunner I know aims to reduce the carnage by small amounts or large, whatever they can get. Examples?
Opps. :oops: :oops:
The line makes more sense if read as I thought it, not as I wrote it.
Clearly "pro-gun"

O Really
Admiral

Real life example of something approaching "leasing" is the California program using inmates as firefighters. Been generally successful for years, but ironically up until relatively recently the well-trained inmates couldn't be hired as regular firefighters when they got out because of "no felons" limitations. That's apparently been mostly fixed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:51 am
Real life example of something approaching "leasing" is the California program using inmates as firefighters. Been generally successful for years, but ironically up until relatively recently the well-trained inmates couldn't be hired as regular firefighters when they got out because of "no felons" limitations. That's apparently been mostly fixed.
It's outside work, but like license plates or litter pickup it's state work, not "leasing". Wildfire fighting is somewhat unique in that it's sporadic. It would be expensive to keep all firefighters on payroll year round, but the inmates are always there.

Good to hear about the post-prison employment fix.

Prison ranches and farms are successful, too.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:53 am
O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:51 am
It's outside work, but like license plates or litter pickup it's state work, not "leasing". Wildfire fighting is somewhat unique in that it's sporadic. It would be expensive to keep all firefighters on payroll year round, but the inmates are always there.

Good to hear about the post-prison employment fix.

Prison ranches and farms are successful, too.
Used to be sporadic I suppose, but now CalFire is going somewhere about all the time for 9-10 months of the year. "Fire season" is now pretty much all year long at least until or unless the drought is over.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:05 pm
Used to be sporadic I suppose, but now CalFire is going somewhere about all the time for 9-10 months of the year. "Fire season" is now pretty much all year long at least until or unless the drought is over.
:( That sucks, though I'll guess the numbers of firefighters needed still fluctuates.
1312. ETTD.