2022 elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: 2022 elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

Florida Rep. Val Demings "seriously considering" run against Rubio or DeSantis

Clumsy move. We all know that ambitious pols shop around for races that they think they can win, but they still need to give the appearance of thinking they would make a better Sen or Gov. Good luck to her, regardless.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Texas will gain 2 congressional seats. Seven states to lose 1 seat, Census Bureau data shows

... In total, seven seats shifted affecting 13 states. Colorado, Florida, Montana, North Carolina and Oregon each gained one seat in addition to Texas. California, Illinois, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia each lost one seat....
If New York, with its 20M+ people, had counted just 89 more residents it would have kept the seat it's losing. Ouch.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

We'll contribute either McCarthy or Nunes to the cause. Hell, I'm feeling generous. Texas can have both of them.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Saturday I got somebody else's census form in my mail. It was for an address one street over from me. I wrote an accusatory note on it and put it back in my mailbox. Whoever that person is will likely not be counted or even considered three fifths of a person. I felt a sort of hollow guilt and decided to place blame on the moron trump put in to head up the postal service.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:13 pm
Saturday I got somebody else's census form in my mail. It was for an address one street over from me. I wrote an accusatory note on it and put it back in my mailbox. Whoever that person is will likely not be counted or even considered three fifths of a person. I felt a sort of hollow guilt and decided to place blame on the moron trump put in to head up the postal service.
:?: It's way worse than the delivery error. I think the Census data collection ended in Oct 2020. Missing by one street is trumped by missing by 6 months or more.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:18 am
neoplacebo wrote:
:?: It's way worse than the delivery error. I think the Census data collection ended in Oct 2020. Missing by one street is trumped by missing by 6 months or more.
Yeah, I had thought that the counting period had already ended in October like you noted. I just didn't want to trash the damn thing so I let the USPS continue with their parade of error. Later this year trump will be made aware of thousands of census forms not filled out and not counted and will squawk and bleat that this proves that voting, as well as mail delivery, is "rigged" and is "a hoax." The cult will gush in awe.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:50 pm
Texas will gain 2 congressional seats. Seven states to lose 1 seat, Census Bureau data shows

... In total, seven seats shifted affecting 13 states. Colorado, Florida, Montana, North Carolina and Oregon each gained one seat in addition to Texas. California, Illinois, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia each lost one seat....
O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:37 pm
We'll contribute either McCarthy or Nunes to the cause. Hell, I'm feeling generous. Texas can have both of them.
:D :thumbup:

Former Republican Charlie Crist Is 1st Democrat To Announce Run Against Florida’s DeSantis

My impression is :roll: :puke-left: . Yours? billy.pilgrim?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

IMNVHO, Crist was a decent governor, but he's getting a bit worn around the edges. And he's got a job now that pays way more than the governor job does with a lot fewer hassles. At an apparently healthy and energetic age 64, he'd be better off to stay in Congress and not put his seat at risk.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:27 pm
He's telling her that he's got her covered and is going to shoot her in the ass if she makes another move. It's why she has her hand on her hip; she don't know what to do. I'd never vote for such an asshole.
It's even worse for her than that, not that I sympathize.
St. Louis man who waved rifle at protest running for Senate

... McCloskey made the announcement on Tucker Carlson's show on Fox News.
Of course.
... “God came knocking on my door last summer disguised as an angry mob,” McCloskey told Carlson. “And it really did wake me up.”
:roll:
... St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner, a Democrat, charged the couple with unlawful use of a weapon. A grand jury in October indicted them on the same charge and added an evidence tampering charge. The indictment states that a semiautomatic pistol was altered in a way that “obstructed the prosecution of Patricia McCloskey” on the weapons charge.
Lock them up!
The couple contended the charges were politically motivated. They spoke via video at last year's Republican National Convention. Republican Missouri Gov. Mike Parson has said he will pardon the McCloskeys if they are convicted.
:obscene-birdiered: Isn't that jury tampering?
Their case is due to go to trial in November ...
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Elections

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Cheney primary challenger says he impregnated 14-year-old when he was 18

I'm impressed that he's actually whining about someone doing the research. His chances at statewide or federal office ended the moment that sperm met egg. That's just the way it is.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:14 pm
Cheney primary challenger says he impregnated 14-year-old when he was 18

I'm impressed that he's actually whining about someone doing the research. His chances at statewide or federal office ended the moment that sperm met egg. That's just the way it is.
I don't know, man.......this is the GQP we're looking at. This could just as easily result in a trip out west for Matt Gaetz and Marge to lend their support to this ass clown.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:33 am
I don't know, man.......this is the GQP we're looking at. This could just as easily result in a trip out west for Matt Gaetz and Marge to lend their support to this ass clown.
:lol: Idk about WY, but they did go out west to Maricopa County, AZ.

Lara Trump says her potential Senate run is a 'no for now, not no forever'

Mixed feelings here. It would have been fun to trash Ivanka's creepy clone's candidacy, but horrible and even more embarrassing than Mad if she'd won.
... Donald Trump endorsed Rep. Ted Budd in his speech Saturday evening, noting that a number of potential candidates had waited until Lara Trump had made her decision before announcing their candidacies.

"He will fight like hell. He will fight like nobody fights," he said.
:roll:
Ted Budd

... Budd is the member of the United States House of Representatives for North Carolina's 13th congressional district....
Most gerrymandered district in NC.

Raised cattle and chickens
Dallas Theological Seminary (MA)
Wake Forest University (MBA)
Owns a gun store
Tenure

In late February 2021, Budd and a dozen other Republican House members skipped votes and enlisted others to vote in their place, citing the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. But he and the other members were actually attending the Conservative Political Action Conference, which was held at the same time as their slated absences. In response, the Campaign for Accountability, an ethics watchdog group, filed a complaint with the House Committee on Ethics and requested an investigation into Budd and the other lawmakers.

Political positions

... Texas v. Pennsylvania

In December 2020, Budd was one of 126 Republican members of the House of Representatives to sign an amicus brief in support of Texas v. Pennsylvania, a lawsuit filed at the United States Supreme Court contesting the results of the 2020 presidential election, in which Joe Biden defeated incumbent Donald Trump. The Supreme Court declined to hear the case on the basis that Texas lacked standing under Article III of the Constitution to challenge the results of an election held by another state.

2021 electoral vote certification

On January 6, 2021, Budd was one of 147 Republican lawmakers to object to the certification of electoral votes from the 2020 presidential election after a mob of Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol and forced an emergency recess of Congress.

Voting rights

Budd opposes the For the People Act, a voting rights bill. He claims the bill "rigs" elections to help Democrats and falsely claimed that it "allows minors to vote".

Foreign policy

In 2021, during a House vote on a measure condemning the Myanmar coup d'état that overwhelmingly passed, Budd was one of 14 Republican representatives to vote against it, for reasons reported to be unclear.

Immigration

Budd has a 97% on NumbersUSA.
First Budd that's ever made me :puke-left: .
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

She's adorable.

And apparently a bit of a YouTube star.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:20 pm
She's adorable.

And apparently a bit of a YouTube star.
:lol: You really know that you're a wingnut when Marjorie Taylor Greene is your voice of reason.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
LOL.

DeJoy is anything but a joy.

I has a part time job in high school and part of the summer before leaving town for college, for the Post Office. It was a very depressing environment. But the posters on the walls were retro cool - looked like hand made with all sorts of nerdly characters advising this or that positive behavior. I successfully resisted the urge to snatch one of them. DeJoy reminds me of the exact opposite of the behavior the posters promoted.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A political ad in Florida is trying to make Trump jealous of Gov. Ron DeSantis

A political action committee intent on ousting Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis in 2022 is releasing an ad designed to undermine DeSantis' relationship with former President Donald Trump, Axios first reported.

DeSantis, a Trump ally who's running for reelection to a second four-year term, is widely viewed as a potential 2024 presidential candidate, particularly if Trump decides not to run. The ad, released by the Remove Ron PAC, tries to paint DeSantis as a direct threat to Trump's prospects of reelection....

Remove Ron: Loser

The PAC behind the ad is led by a Florida lawyer and public health advocate, Daniel Uhlfelder, who made a name for himself last year by protesting the reopening of Florida beaches dressed in a Grim Reaper costume.

The 42-year-old Republican governor has developed a national brand as a Trumpian conservative willing to wade into the most divisive culture wars. Trump, 75, has suggested that he will run for reelection, and said DeSantis could be a good running mate. But DeSantis edged out Trump in a June straw poll of possible 2024 candidates at the Western Conservative Summit in Colorado....

The governor is raking in cash for his reelection campaign and is far better funded than his likely Democratic opponent, Florida agriculture commissioner Nikki Fried.
:lol: RepuQ fight!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:10 am
IMNVHO, Crist was a decent governor, but he's getting a bit worn around the edges. And he's got a job now that pays way more than the governor job does with a lot fewer hassles. At an apparently healthy and energetic age 64, he'd be better off to stay in Congress and not put his seat at risk.
Is the field opening up?
Floridians Are Turning on Ron DeSantis as Covid Deaths Hit Record High

Covid-19 is obliterating Florida.

The Sunshine State comfortably leads the nation in average daily cases, average daily hospitalizations, and average daily deaths, according to The New York Times. This isn’t just because of its large population. Florida also leads the nation in hospitalizations per capita, and trails on(ly) Louisiana and Mississippi in cases per capita and deaths per capita. Last week, the state reported more new cases and more deaths than at any other point during the pandemic.

It shouldn’t come as a huge surprise, then, that Floridians have had it with Governor Ron DeSantis’ continued opposition to sensible preventative measures that have been proven to mitigate the spread of the disease. A Quinnipiac poll released Tuesday found that a plurality of DeSantis’ constituents believe he is hurting rather than helping efforts to slow the spread of the disease; that 61 percent of Floridians believe the rise recent explosion was preventable; and that 63 percent believe masks are effective while 59 percent support wearing them indoors.

The poll also found that 60 percent of Florida residents support requiring faculty and students to wear masks while in school, something DeSantis has opposed so stridently that he has threatened to strip funding from the school districts who impose mask mandates.

Floridians don’t like that so much, either.

On July 30th, DeSantis signed an executive order to block school districts from imposing mask mandates as the Delta variant swept through the state. The order was challenged by multiple lawsuits, and as cases continued to rise, including among young people, school districts began to defy it. This prompted the DeSantis administration to threaten to strip funding if the districts did not remove their mandates. On Friday, the Florida Department of Education informed the school boards in Alachua and Broward Counties, which voted to impose mandates, that it “will begin to withhold from state funds, on a monthly basis, an amount equal to 1/12 of the total annual compensation of the school board members who voted to impose the unlawful mask mandates until each district demonstrates compliance.”

Later on Friday, the Biden administration offered to compensate these districts for any financial consequences they may face for requiring masks. “It is deeply troubling to see state leaders putting politics ahead of the health and safety of our students, and that instead of supporting our educators for doing the right thing, state leaders are trying to punish them,” U.S. Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said in a statement promising financial support to the Alachua and Broward County schools districts.
:---P Joltin' Joe!
Alachua and Broward aren’t the only districts to buck the governor’s orders. On Tuesday, Orange and Indian River became the ninth and tenth school districts to impose similar mandates. As The Washington Post pointed out on Wednesday, these 10 districts represent over half of Florida’s schoolchildren.
It's a revolution!
Two of them, Indian River and Sarasota, voted for Trump in the 2020 election, which combined with the recent polling from Quinnipiac should probably give DeSantis pause as he gears up for his 2022 reelection bid....
If Ronnie loses in 2022 it'll be a huge impediment to his 2024 POTUS aspirations.

It’s a clever little line. We doubt the families of the 212 Floridians who died per day last week were amused.
Ouch.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Roger Stone said he'll run for Florida governor just to draw votes away from Ron DeSantis unless the governor pledges not to run for president in 2024

:lol:
... Stone said if he runs against DeSantis it would not be because he thinks he can actually win the race, but because he could run as a Libertarian and draw votes from DeSantis.

"The people who love Ron DeSantis the most are of course the people who have never met him," he said. "I don't think that I would have to get many votes to change the results of this race."
:thumbup:
Stone also targeted DeSantis earlier this week, threatening to run against him if the governor didn't audit the 2020 election in Florida, a state Trump won.

"If Gov. Ron DeSantis does not order a full audit of the Florida 2020 vote, I may be forced to seek the Libertarian Party nomination for governor in 2022. And Ron can kiss his arrogant Yalie ass goodbye #DefendFlorida," Stone wrote on his Telegram channel Sunday....
:confusion-scratchheadblue: Is he hoping that Biden will win the audit?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I have yet to understand all these requests to audit in states they won.
Forrest comes closest, "Stupid is as Stupid does."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”