2022 elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: 2022 elections

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Wikipedia

Statistics
Edit
According to 2016 research by The Sentencing Project:[23]

10.43% of the Florida population is disenfranchised[24]
1,686,318 total Floridians are disenfranchised.
Florida has the most disenfranchised citizens in the United States.
Florida has the highest disenfranchisement rate in the United States.
23.3% of black voters in Florida can’t vote because of felony disenfranchisement.

By 2020 the Tampa Bay Times reported that despite the passage of Amendment 4:

More than 900,000 Floridians with certain felony convictions remain unable to vote because of unpaid court fines and/or fees. [25]
Florida is home to about 20% of all American citizens who can't vote because of felony disenfranchisement.

deSanctimonious wants moew
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

That's bad. But it would seem that not all the problem is in the voting laws/restrictions. Florida laws aren't all that different from numerous states, and not as bad as VA/KY, https://www.aclu.org/issues/voting-righ ... t-laws-map

But this sentence flew off the page:
"23.3% of black voters in Florida can’t vote because of felony disenfranchisement."
Between 1980 and 2010, the adult male population that had spent time in prison jumped from 1.79 to 5.55 percent. For African-American men, that figure rose from 5.76 to 15.14 percent.
Between 1980 and 2010, the adult male population that had received a felony conviction rose from 5.25 percent to 12.81 percent. For African-American men, the number soared from 13.29 to 33.01 percent.
By 2010, the five states with the highest number of African-American felons (men and women) were California, Florida, Indiana, Massachusetts and Washington. In each, over 20 percent of African Americans were convicted felons.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:20 pm
That's bad. But it would seem that not all the problem is in the voting laws/restrictions. Florida laws aren't all that different from numerous states, and not as bad as VA/KY, https://www.aclu.org/issues/voting-righ ... t-laws-map

But this sentence flew off the page:
"23.3% of black voters in Florida can’t vote because of felony disenfranchisement."
Between 1980 and 2010, the adult male population that had spent time in prison jumped from 1.79 to 5.55 percent. For African-American men, that figure rose from 5.76 to 15.14 percent.
Between 1980 and 2010, the adult male population that had received a felony conviction rose from 5.25 percent to 12.81 percent. For African-American men, the number soared from 13.29 to 33.01 percent.
By 2010, the five states with the highest number of African-American felons (men and women) were California, Florida, Indiana, Massachusetts and Washington. In each, over 20 percent of African Americans were convicted felons.
67% of voting Floridians saw that too when we passed an amendment that ended that particular voter suppression tactic.
oops, then along came deSanctimonious and his totally new republican double speak reading of the people's law

WHAT IS AMENDMENT 4?
The Voting Restoration Amendment was the fourth proposed Constitutional Amendment on the 2018 General Election ballot. This amendment started as a citizen initiative which made ballot position through the collection of over 842,000 petition signatures. The amendment passed with 64.55% of the vote and will now be part of Florida’s Constitution with an effective date of January 8, 2019.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Does anyone trust polling at this point?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Cute

On Monday, the Justice Department announced that it would send federal monitors to 64 jurisdictions nationwide to monitor how elections are being conducted. Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties were all slated to receive federal monitors from the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division.

But Brad McVay, the chief counsel for the Florida Department of State, said in a letter issued late Monday that those monitors would not be allowed inside polling places under Florida law.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -desantis/

They should bring their guns

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:25 pm
republican overvotes by rich weenie victims will be significant and will not be investigated

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:25 pm
I somewhat trust its trends, less so its absolute numbers.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Oz is a loon, but I could see how he could have some followers. Kari Lake is a self-manufactured loon, but attractive TV talking head people can be popular. But how anybody can think Walker is a good representative for their state is beyond me. I know, it's just the R beside his name, but still.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:46 pm
Oz is a loon, but I could see how he could have some followers. Kari Lake is a self-manufactured loon, but attractive TV talking head people can be popular. But how anybody can think Walker is a good representative for their state is beyond me. I know, it's just the R beside his name, but still.
Same for trump - how could anyone consider the loon?

O Really
Admiral

Not that anybody doubted that Repugs have their list of "issues" that they'll try to scare everybody with - whether or not it's valid, but here's a good example.

Yorba Linda, CA, known mostly as the home town of one Richard M Nixon, is a pleasant, economically advantaged city of about 68,000 in Orange County. Median home price about $1.2 mill. Lots of horses and golf courses. Repugs are ranting about "increased crime" "people scared in their homes" yada, and managed to come up with a security video of somebody breaking into a store.

Well, there were 8 robberies last year in Yorba Linda, although they haven't had a homicide in over 8 years. There were 71 property damage reports, up from 59 the previous year. Holy crap - it's a major crime wave!

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... -campaigns

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Build a wall

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Looks like FL sucks as you predicted, but I did not really expect to be at all hopeful in NC and nationally this late in the evening. :shh:

MD sweep, retained Senate seat, Dem picked up Gov - maybe the first Black ever. -0-?
:happy-cheerleaderkid:

Edit:
In Maryland, Democrat Wes Moore elected as state’s first Black governor

... Moore’s victory flips a governor’s office from Republican to Democratic. Of the 36 governor’s races this year, Maryland and Massachusetts represented the best chances for Democrats to regain a governor’s office at a time when the GOP holds a 28-22 edge in governor’s seats. Republican Gov. Larry Hogan is term limited.
Maura Healey did FLIP Massachusetts for the Democrats! :clap:
Only two other Black politicians have ever been elected governor in the United States — Virginia’s Douglas Wilder in 1989, and Deval Patrick of Massachusetts in 2006. Democrat Stacey Abrams would become the nation’s first Black female governor if she wins her Georgia rematch against Republican Gov. Brian Kemp.
I might have guessed that there were 1 or 2 Reconstruction Black Govs. Guess not.
With the slogan “leave no one behind,” the former combat veteran and former CEO of one of the nation’s largest anti-poverty organizations campaigned on creating equal opportunity for Maryland residents....

Moore, 44, defeated a first-term state legislator who was endorsed by former President Donald Trump, who only received 32% of the vote in Maryland in the 2020 presidential election.

During their only debate, Moore criticized Cox for attending the “Stop the Steal” rally on Jan. 6, 2021, before Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol. Moore described Cox as “an extremist election-denier whose rhetoric and his policies are not only dangerous and divisive, but will take our state backwards.”

Kevin Holmboe, who voted for Moore in Annapolis, Maryland, cited the candidate’s resume as a former combat veteran who served in Afghanistan as well as a Rhodes scholar with a business background as qualifications that jumped out at him.

“He just had all the right things to lead me in that direction,” Holmboe, 60, said after voting for Moore.

The race was marked by Hogan’s refusal to support Cox, whom he has described as “a QAnon whack job” unfit for office....
:---P
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:53 am
Meanwhile in PA:

Mastriano's Sputtering Campaign: No TV Ads, Tiny Crowds, Little Money

A sparse audience listens to the early speakers at a rally for Republican gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano at the Capitol in Harrisburg, Pa., on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022. Even when Mastriano took the lectern, only a few dozen people were on hand.

I fully endorse TRE45ON's apparently successful efforts to destroy the GQP. Buh-bye PA Gov and US Senate.
Wingnut Mastriano LOST to Shapiro! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Fetterman is leading, but it's too close to call.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Looks like MadCaw wannabe Bo Hines is going to lose.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:44 pm
Nice! The GQP has held North Carolina's 13th congressional district since 2013, and it was most recently new NC Sen Budd's seat.
Bo Hines

... Former President Donald Trump, Club for Growth, and outgoing U.S. Representative Madison Cawthorn endorsed Hines, who won the nomination on May 17.

In April 2022, local Republicans campaigned against Hines through newspaper advertisements, email blasts and door-knocking because Hines did not live in the district in which he was running.

In May 2022, Business Insider reported that Hines was funding the majority of his campaign with a trust fund (his sole source of income according to financial disclosure filings). While campaigning on "America-First economy", Hines faced criticism because his campaign hats were made in China.

Hines has said that abortion is murder and should be banned, although he is open to exceptions for a "10-year-old woman" if her parents ask a council of leaders for an exception and if these leaders grant it.

Hines believes that the 2020 election was stolen and has promoted voter fraud conspiracy theories.
:puke-left: Good riddance.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:03 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:44 pm
Nice! The GQP has held North Carolina's 13th congressional district since 2013, and it was most recently new NC Sen Budd's seat.
Bo Hines

... Former President Donald Trump, Club for Growth, and outgoing U.S. Representative Madison Cawthorn endorsed Hines, who won the nomination on May 17.

In April 2022, local Republicans campaigned against Hines through newspaper advertisements, email blasts and door-knocking because Hines did not live in the district in which he was running.

In May 2022, Business Insider reported that Hines was funding the majority of his campaign with a trust fund (his sole source of income according to financial disclosure filings). While campaigning on "America-First economy", Hines faced criticism because his campaign hats were made in China.

Hines has said that abortion is murder and should be banned, although he is open to exceptions for a "10-year-old woman" if her parents ask a council of leaders for an exception and if these leaders grant it.

Hines believes that the 2020 election was stolen and has promoted voter fraud conspiracy theories.
:puke-left: Good riddance.
Ain't this so typical republican?

"While campaigning on "America-First economy", Hines faced criticism because his campaign hats were made in China."

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Like our candidates but don't like their policies? :think:

South Dakota approves Medicaid expansion over GOP resistance

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:56 pm
Like our candidates but don't like their policies? :think:

South Dakota approves Medicaid expansion over GOP resistance
:clap: Noem no ma'am.

D - 48
R - 49
D looking to win AZ :thumbup:
R barely ahead in NV :thumbup:

The fate of the nation and world may ride on Herschel's shoulders in the 12/6 runoff. How embarrassing is that?

If Ds win AZ & GA and Rs win NV, Manchin will remain the de facto majority leader. :angry-banghead:
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I wonder how much of an effect Republicans saying the elections are rigged had on Republican turnout? Why vote if you honestly think it doesn't matter because the elections are rigged?

Did these dummies not think about that?
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:07 pm
I wonder how much of an effect Republicans saying the elections are rigged had on Republican turnout? Why vote if you honestly think it doesn't matter because the elections are rigged?

Did these dummies not think about that?
Consider who their "leader" is....