2022 elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: 2022 elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:54 pm
trump lied about his heritage as well as his wealth, his taxes and his whore wife.

All I'm seeing is that jews only vote for jews. Too bad they didn't vet this turd.
We don't know how many Dem or independent Jews flipped. It may be a minority of them.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:57 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:51 pm
To be fair, that is the Republican Jewish Coalition, who by definition votes Republican, anyhow, and some unknown number of Jewish voters in that competitive Long Island district.

Then, even the Republican Jewish Coalition is less tolerant than, wait for it . . .

GOP Leadership Remains Silent Over George Santos' Falsehoods

:puke-left:
Wasn't it a dem district before some guy claimed to be jewish. Wouldn't that mean that some dems crossed over because of the guy's religious claims?
Yes, among other things Santos claimed.

Yes, and/or independents, likely Jewish and otherwise. That's who I meant by "some unknown number of Jewish voters".
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:07 pm
It was a Dem district, and actually the guy before Suozzi was named "Israel" but might not have been Jewish. But the Jews that are complaining the most are Republicans, who probably have been voting R all along. There surely were some Dem crossover, and a swing of Unaffiliateds, but not necessarily because he claimed to be Jewish.
Before 2011 NY3 was Repug.
Israel is Jewish (2011-17). Aside: That's a funny sentence now that I look at it.
Suozzi is not (2017-now retiring), 56.0 - 43.5 vs Santos in 2020.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York% ... on_results

Robert Zimmerman (D), real gay Jew 45.9%
George Santos (R), fake gay Jew 54.1%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Unit ... District_3

No point, we'd need more info on redistricting and exit polls to know who flipped.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I'm bowing out of this. I'm increasingly aware that I don't know enough about it and aren't interested enough to educate myself any further than what you are posting.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

As His Life of Fantasy Comes Into Focus, George Santos Goes to Washington

It's not surprising that this lifelong liar and conman found a welcoming home in the GQP, just like Former PINO did.
... New York Democrats also made it clear they want to subject Santos to deeper scrutiny. Rep. Hakeem Jeffries, the incoming Democratic leader, has said Santos is “unfit to serve.” Rep. Ritchie Torres said he planned to introduce the Stop Another Non-Truthful Office Seeker Act — the SANTOS Act — that would require House candidates to provide details of their backgrounds under oath.
:lol:
The lawmaker who may have the most significant role in his future in the House, Kevin McCarthy, the House Republican leader, has been silent when asked about the Times’ reporting and Santos’ interviews supporting it....
Coward.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:clap:
Based on George Santos' résumé he should be speaker. He has the best credentials. And, I get the impression he is rather modest, and his current résumé only barely touches on his education, experiences and other qualifications for the position.
Are any of these people running for office vetted? If not, a law needs to be enacted to prevent this in the future. It should be added to the election rules as the "Santos Clause".
:thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I still don't understand why people are upset. The voters failed to educate themselves and they voted the man in. Simple solution - vote him out in 2 years.

How many reps, senators and presidents have served because they claimed to be christian?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:07 am
I still don't understand why people are upset. The voters failed to educate themselves and they voted the man in. Simple solution - vote him out in 2 years.

How many reps, senators and presidents have served because they claimed to be christian?
:thumbup: , but I think it's a matter of scale and the fact that Santos was a conman even before politics. I'm fine with chasing him out, especially with such a narrow House RepuQ majority and in a district that's likely to replace him with a D in any special election.

Meanwhile, let's talk about ethical pols:
Incoming Pa. governor taps GOP ex-official for election post

A former Philadelphia election official who has told of enduring death threats for defending the city's 2020 vote-counting against former President Donald Trump's lies will be nominated for the top election administration post in Pennsylvania by the incoming Democratic governor, Josh Shapiro.

Al Schmidt's coming nomination to be secretary of state, announced Thursday by Shapiro, sets him up to oversee what is expected to be a hard-fought 2024 election in the critical presidential battleground. Schmidt is Shapiro's first Cabinet selection to be revealed ahead of his Jan. 17 inauguration.

Protecting elections and voting rights was central to Shapiro's campaign, as he emphasized his intention to nominate a “pro-Democracy” secretary of state and his role, as attorney general, in fighting efforts in court by Trump and his allies to overturn the 2020 presidential election.

“Al Schmidt has a proven track record of defending our democracy, protecting voting rights and standing up to extremism — even in the face of grave threats," Shapiro said in a statement.

Schmidt, 51, is a Republican, fitting in with Shapiro's theme of fashioning a bipartisan administration in politically divided Pennsylvania....

On Friday, the second anniversary of the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, Schmidt will be among 12 people to receive the Presidential Citizens Medal from President Joe Biden in a ceremony at the White House. This is the first time Biden has given the medal, the nation’s second-highest civilian award.
I have every reason to believe that Schmidt is the best person for the job, but he's also the perfect fish slap to wingnut Doug Mastriano, TRE45QN, Qidiots and the rest of the Cult .45.
... Holding the post of secretary of state is subject to confirmation in the Republican-controlled Senate.
... With help from Philadelphia, Trump lost Pennsylvania to Biden.

Few, if any, Republicans came to Schmidt's defense during a time when he has said he received Trump-inspired death threats against him and his family that he has called “domestic terrorism.” Rather, the state Republican Party and most state GOP lawmakers sought to stop Pennsylvania's electoral votes from being awarded to Biden.

No lawsuit, prosecutor or election worker has produced evidence of widespread fraud in Philadelphia's 2020 election....
The state Republican Party and most state GOP lawmakers get fish slapped, too.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:07 am

11 months later and the possible expulsion today of Sleazy Santos is still a hot topic. Oh well, 2 years later:
2 Republicans In Arizona Indicted After Trying To Delay Election Results
“The repeated attempts to undermine our democracy are unacceptable,” the state’s attorney general said.

Two Arizona Republicans were indicted Wednesday on charges they conspired to delay the certification of the state’s 2022 election results.

The state’s attorney general, Kris Mayes, said a grand jury had indicted Tom Crosby and Peggy Judd, two supervisors for rural Cochise County. Last year, the pair moved to delay the count of ballots cast in the county, but they were quickly sued by then-Secretary of State Katie Hobbs. They later voted to delay the certification of the results, even though they cited no issue with the votes in the heavily Republican region, as a form of protest against the election outcome statewide.
That would be the election of Gov Hobbs over wingnut Kari Lake and other races like:
Kristin Kay Mayes is an American reporter, lawyer, and politician who is the Arizona Attorney General. A member of the Democratic Party, Mayes was elected in 2022, defeating Republican Abraham Hamadeh by a margin of just 280 votes, making this one of the closest elections in the state's history....

Mayes is the second woman elected Arizona Attorney General (after Janet Napolitano), the third openly lesbian woman elected attorney general of a state in the United States (after Maura Healey and Dana Nessel), and the second openly LGBT person elected to statewide office in Arizona (after Kyrsten Sinema).
:clap: Back to the article:
They eventually backed down amid a court order, but the episode prompted concern about the spread of former President Donald Trump’s conspiracy theories about the legitimacy of American elections. Despite his repeated claims of fraud whenever Republicans seem to lose, there is no evidence of widespread malfeasance....

If convicted, Crosby and Judd face up to 2.5 years in prison and a $150,000 fine, according to the Arizona Republic. They face two felony counts, one for conspiracy and one for interference with an election officer.

:---P :---P Lock them up!
Last year, Judd told The New York Times the pair had moved to stymie the certification of the state’s results because small counties were “sick and tired of getting kicked around and not being respected.” She cited conspiracy theories that voting machines in the state were illegal but later told the Times the delay was largely just a protest against counties with strong Democratic support.
Opps, that's the conviction right there.
She said at the time, “It’s the only thing we have to stand on.”
No, dummy, you never had that, either.

I hope that Gov Hobbs, AG Mayes, etc are doing well enough that Dem gains in the purple state will be solidified in 2024.
1312. ETTD.