Stupid Human Tricks now the Wordle Thread

Off the wall fun - this area may tread into work unsafe territory, be advised.
Post Reply
User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 50941
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Wordle Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

3 minutes

Wordle 1,000 πŸŽ‰ 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜⬜🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Admiral
Posts: 17281
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:08 am
3 minutes

Wordle 1,000 πŸŽ‰ 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜⬜🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Wordle 1,000 πŸŽ‰ 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
6 minutes
345-383

Damn you three yellows!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 50941
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:08 am
Vrede too wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:08 am
3 minutes

Wordle 1,000 πŸŽ‰ 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜⬜🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Wordle 1,000 πŸŽ‰ 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
6 minutes
345-383

Damn you three yellows!
:D
Spoiler:

. . . he did (solution) in frustration.

My magic FLUTE eventually led me to suddenly (solution) with the solution.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Admiral
Posts: 17281
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:12 am
GoCubsGo wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:08 am
Vrede too wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:08 am
3 minutes

Wordle 1,000 πŸŽ‰ 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜⬜🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Wordle 1,000 πŸŽ‰ 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
6 minutes
345-383

Damn you three yellows!
:D
Spoiler:

. . . he did (solution) in frustration.

My magic FLUTE eventually led me to suddenly (solution) with the solution.
Spoiler:
My 3/6 was better than I thought, down from 58 possibilities.... just took me awhile.

Terrific choice. TONER would have been one of my top picks. There’s only one possible solution left β€” you should solve the puzzle on your next turn.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 50941
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Wordle Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

I'm in a 3-3 rut.
3 minutes.

Wordle 1,001 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Admiral
Posts: 17281
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:19 am
I'm in a 3-3 rut.
3 minutes.

Wordle 1,001 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Wordle 1,001 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

8 minutes

348-383

Yeesh.
Spoiler:
Excellent choice β€” PINTO is exactly what I would’ve picked in this situation. And you’ve narrowed it down to one possible solution. You should solve the puzzle on your next turn.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 50941
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:18 am
Vrede too wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:19 am
I'm in a 3-3 rut.
3 minutes.

Wordle 1,001 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Wordle 1,001 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

8 minutes

348-383

Yeesh.
Spoiler:
Excellent choice β€” PINTO is exactly what I would’ve picked in this situation. And you’ve narrowed it down to one possible solution. You should solve the puzzle on your next turn.
For all the times that Wordlebot says that _____ "is exactly what (it) would’ve picked in this situation" and that "narrowed it down to one possible solution," I have to wonder why it wouldn't have just picked the solve.
Spoiler:

Is PINTO really any more likely than (solution)?

One thing I know is that Wordlebot never would have guessed PRION, but it served me well after a bit. On reflection, GROIN would've been more likely and a bit closer to the solution. Is it too smutty for Wordle and Wordlebot?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 50941
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Wordle Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Pulled 2/6 out of my butt.
2 minutes.

Wordle 1,002 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Admiral
Posts: 17281
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:22 am
Pulled 2/6 out of my butt.
2 minutes.

Wordle 1,002 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Surprised me.
Wordle 1,002 4/6

🟩🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
1 minute
348-384
Spoiler:
2/6
Excellent choice β€” SHORT is exactly what I would’ve picked in this situation. You’ve narrowed it down to only two words: SPORT or SNORT.

76% of us picked poorly.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 50941
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:37 am
Vrede too wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:22 am
Pulled 2/6 out of my butt.
2 minutes.

Wordle 1,002 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Surprised me.
Wordle 1,002 4/6

🟩🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
1 minute
348-384
Spoiler:
2/6
Excellent choice β€” SHORT is exactly what I would’ve picked in this situation. You’ve narrowed it down to only two words: SPORT or SNORT.

76% of us picked poorly.
Spoiler:

Had you used a K in 1/6 or is Wordlebot a liar? Skort is a legit and not very obscure word. If Wordlebot lies, I (solution) in its general direction.

I would have had it in 3/6, but everyone knows that you can't (solution) without a SNOUT.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Admiral
Posts: 17281
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:21 am
GoCubsGo wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:37 am
Vrede too wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:22 am
Pulled 2/6 out of my butt.
2 minutes.

Wordle 1,002 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Surprised me.
Wordle 1,002 4/6

🟩🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
1 minute
348-384
Spoiler:
2/6
Excellent choice β€” SHORT is exactly what I would’ve picked in this situation. You’ve narrowed it down to only two words: SPORT or SNORT.

76% of us picked poorly.
Spoiler:

Had you used a K in 1/6 or is Wordlebot a liar? Skort is a legit and not very obscure word. If Wordlebot lies, I (solution) in its general direction.

I would have had it in 3/6, but everyone knows that you can't (solution) without a SNOUT.
Hadn't used the K. May be legit, bit it was guessed less than 2% of the time until 4/6 and then only 5% with people that guessed identical to me. Overall it was guessed only .2% of the time (through 6 guesses).

Legit but pretty obscure, never occurred to me.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 50941
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:18 am
Hadn't used the K. May be legit, but it was guessed less than 2% of the time until 4/6 and then only 5% with people that guessed identical to me. Overall it was guessed only .2% of the time (through 6 guesses).

Legit but pretty obscure, never occurred to me.
Understood and not a surprise. It's just Wordlebot's lying that bugs me. AI glitch? Intentional language editing?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Admiral
Posts: 17281
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:30 am
GoCubsGo wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:18 am
Hadn't used the K. May be legit, but it was guessed less than 2% of the time until 4/6 and then only 5% with people that guessed identical to me. Overall it was guessed only .2% of the time (through 6 guesses).

Legit but pretty obscure, never occurred to me.
Understood and not a surprise. It's just Wordlebot's lying that bugs me. AI glitch? Intentional language editing?
I never looked at the FAQ before.
How does WordleBot estimate the probability of each solution?
–+
The original Wordle game ran off a 2,309-word β€œsolution list,” but that list is no longer the official reference. There have now been published solutions that did not appear on the original list β€” like BALSA and KAZOO β€” and a handful of words on the list that are unlikely to pass the scrutiny of Times editors.

The bot doesn’t use either the original list or any updated solutions list that the game editors rely on. Instead, the bot assigns every possible Wordle guess β€” almost 15,000 words β€” an estimated probability of being a solution. More than 10,000 of these words are considered too obscure or inappropriate to ever appear as a solution, and are given a probability of zero.

In addition, plural forms of three- or four-letter words that end in β€œs” or β€œes” are not considered possible solutions. Past-tense verbs ending in β€œed” are considered extremely unlikely to be solutions, with the exception of past-tense versions of irregular verbs like cry, spy or fry. The rest of the probabilities are estimated based on how common a word is, using the frequency of appearances in The Times since 2000 as a rough proxy.

Link to this answer.

The word I guessed was accepted by Wordle β€” why is the bot telling me it’s probably not a solution?
–+
There are almost 15,000 five-letter words in the Wordle dictionary that a player is allowed to guess. Some of these β€” SYBBE, YCOND, IMMEW β€” are rather obscure. Others could be considered obscene. Still others are just in bad taste.

WordleBot plays no role in the words selected to be Wordle solutions and doesn’t know the solutions. But unlike human players, who are free to guess any of these words, we’ve limited the bot to a smaller set of roughly 4,500 relatively common words to choose from when making guesses and recommendations.

Whether or not a word is β€œcommon” is, of course, a judgment call, and many words are open to interpretation. As a guideline, we’ve aimed to include as many words as possible that we think a normal Times reader might have encountered before.

Link to this answer.

15,000 words? 4,500 words? What are these different lists?
–+
Here’s a cheat sheet:

15,000: The words that Wordle accepts as guesses, most of them very obscure.

4,500: The subset of words the bot uses for suggestions to readers in its analysis. They’re supposed to be reasonably familiar, and they include words that the bot knows can’t be solutions, like plural words ending in β€œs” or β€œes,” but that can be helpful as guesses.

3,200: The words the bot considers plausible solutions, with probabilities assigned to each one based on Times usage frequency. No plurals here, for example.

2,309: The old, original list of solutions. No longer consulted by the bot in any way.

Link to this answer.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... t-faq.html
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... =url-share
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 50941
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:44 am
Vrede too wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:30 am
Understood and not a surprise. It's just Wordlebot's lying that bugs me. AI glitch? Intentional language editing?
I never looked at the FAQ before.
How does WordleBot estimate the probability of each solution?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... =url-share
Spoiler:

Ah, intentional language editing. I disagree with Wordlebot as to how obscure SKORT is, but I understand and accept it.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 50941
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Wordle Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

9 minutes :angry-banghead:

Wordle 1,003 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Admiral
Posts: 17281
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:57 am
9 minutes :angry-banghead:

Wordle 1,003 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Weird wordle word.
Wordle 1,003 3/6

🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
1 minute
348-385
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 50941
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:04 am
Vrede too wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:57 am
9 minutes :angry-banghead:

Wordle 1,003 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Weird wordle word.
Wordle 1,003 3/6

🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
1 minute
348-385
Spoiler:

(Solution) SMELT fishy to me, too, a RELIC of the past.
Even SKORT is more common ;)
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

User avatar
GoCubsGo
Admiral
Posts: 17281
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:01 am
GoCubsGo wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:04 am
Vrede too wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:57 am
9 minutes :angry-banghead:

Wordle 1,003 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Weird wordle word.
Wordle 1,003 3/6

🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
1 minute
348-385
Spoiler:

(Solution) SMELT fishy to me, too, a RELIC of the past.
Even SKORT is more common ;)
Spoiler:
:lol:
Probably not what you had in mind, but SMELT fishing is a thing in Chicagoland, I spent a couple of lost Saturday nights with my friends, nets, fish and a bottle of Jim Beam in my 20's. They are delicious.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/3/24/ ... ok-history


Image
Image

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 50941
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Wordle Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:40 am
Vrede too wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:01 am
Spoiler:

(Solution) SMELT fishy to me, too, a RELIC of the past.
Even SKORT is more common ;)
Spoiler:
:lol:
Probably not what you had in mind, but SMELT fishing is a thing in Chicagoland, I spent a couple of lost Saturday nights with my friends, nets, fish and a bottle of Jim Beam in my 20's. They are delicious.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/3/24/ ... ok-history

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/4ad4a7 ... 0&fit=crop
https://www.classickiaonline.com/blogs/ ... 589460.jpg
Jim Beam was a good friend of mine in my early 20's, too. Then, too many times overdoing it and puking and I still can't stand any whiskey :(
Spoiler:

Never had them I don't think, but I knew - "... SMELT fishy ..." ;)
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

User avatar
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster
Posts: 50941
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Hendersonville, NC

Re: Stupid Human Tricks now the Wordle Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

1 minute

Wordle 1,004 3/6

🟩⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Rotate right - E for Excellent ;)
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Post Reply