2024 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: 2024 Elections

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:33 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:28 am

Will we ever get another FDR or JFK, or even a LBJ. We need huge dramatic change.
Thought we had one in 2008.

He wound up having to govern from the center due to a obstructionist (putting it mildly) Congress.
I never saw him try. He also holds too much faith in the way things are. Things he's said about banking and commerce in general are too right wing for me.

A great orator who could have made real change, but only through constantly speaking. Instead of working like he campaigned, he chose the office work part of the job as more important. The great communicator didn't understand that it was the "why he won" the election, not just that he won, or he did understand and chose to pretend he was up against a republican wall.
Imagine him or someone like him out stumping progressive ideas with the same effort he showed in his campaign. I think he knew that he could and didn't try because he believes in the big banks and te corporate way.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:04 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
My personal choices from the list
Gov. Gavin Newsom
Sen. Elizabeth Warren
Sen. Bernie Sanders
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Warren is probably my top choice, but she has been for too long been a victim of right-wing lies and spin to change people's opinions

Bernie - too old (as are Biden and trump) ...
Liz is 73, only 3 years younger than TRE45ON, though she is a young 73.
I didn't say she was to old. She would be my first choice, but I think that fox has already damaged her beyond repair.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:04 pm

I didn't say she was to old. She would be my first choice, but I think that fox has already damaged her beyond repair.
IMNVHO, she contributed quite a bit to her damage. Nobody wants to be scolded constantly.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:02 pm

I never saw him try. He also holds too much faith in the way things are. Things he's said about banking and commerce in general are too right wing for me.

A great orator who could have made real change, but only through constantly speaking. Instead of working like he campaigned, he chose the office work part of the job as more important. The great communicator didn't understand that it was the "why he won" the election, not just that he won, or he did understand and chose to pretend he was up against a republican wall.
Imagine him or someone like him out stumping progressive ideas with the same effort he showed in his campaign. I think he knew that he could and didn't try because he believes in the big banks and te corporate way.
Obama may have been a pragmatist above all else.

His first two years he was effectively hamstrung as we were in the midst of banking and economic collapse.

That should've been and was the priority. Additionally, massive banking and Wall Street reforms were passed, not to mention the ACA.

After the midterms we had divided government and nothing was going to get done.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/obama ... 7-21-12200
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:04 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:04 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Gov. Gavin Newsom
Sen. Elizabeth Warren
Sen. Bernie Sanders
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Warren is probably my top choice, but she has been for too long been a victim of right-wing lies and spin to change people's opinions

Bernie - too old (as are Biden and trump) ...
Liz is 73, only 3 years younger than TRE45ON, though she is a young 73.
I didn't say she was too old. She would be my first choice, but I think that fox has already damaged her beyond repair.
That's my point, you didn't. If Dolt .45 is too old (he is) then Liz is also too old. I sadly do think that she is too old and wish that she was an option in 2000 or 2004.

She sure has been smeared, but that makes me like her more.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:13 am
... Gavin may be the best shot. He's done a good job in California and he's center enough to not scare independents although the right will do their best to label him a communist.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Gov. Gavin Newsom

... Newsom - I don't know much about him, but see him as a best chance of those on the list.

Will we ever get another FDR or JFK, or even a LBJ. We need huge dramatic change.
That was fast. Great, y'all scared him off . . . probably.

Gavin Newsom says he is definitely not running for president in 2024 after his 'vulnerable' 2021 recall

If it's sincere, decent of him to clear the field now.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:24 pm

Let's see what he's saying in seven or eight months...

"After careful consideration ".......
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:32 am
Vrede too wrote:

Gavin Newsom says he is definitely not running for president in 2024 after his 'vulnerable' 2021 recall

Could be.
"The people are demanding that I run."

Here we go:

Trump has called several GOP donors who contributed money to Ron DeSantis asking them to stop boosting the Florida governor: report

Hey everybody, asshole con fight!
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:48 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:32 am
Vrede too wrote:

Could be.
"The people are demanding that I run."

Here we go:

Trump has called several GOP donors who contributed money to Ron DeSantis asking them to stop boosting the Florida governor: report

Hey everybody, asshole con fight!
Let them eat their own.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

-0-?

Must really be worried about a Wednesday indictment.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump's growing GOP challengers revive fears of 2016 repeat

Good, an Rx for losing in the general. I say this with some slight trepidation that we may have a tiny chance of getting Dolt .45.2.

Nikki Haley - TRE45QN stained, plus no way the modern GQP nominates a woman or a non-White.
Fascist DerSantis - Peaking too soon, too much right wingnuttery to win the general, TRE45QN stained.
New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu - -0-?
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan - Too sane for the modern GQP.
Mike Pompeo - TRE45QN stained.
Texas Sen. Ted Cruz - LOL! Maybe Cancun mayor or tourism chief.
Not mentioned in the article: Abbott, Noem, EmptyG.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Noem is one of the most despicable on your list.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:16 am
It's so hard to choose. :think:

The Simpsons predicted Donald Trump running for president in 2024 seven years ago (video)

:shock:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:32 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:16 am
It's so hard to choose. :think:

The Simpsons predicted Donald Trump running for president in 2024 seven years ago (video)

:shock:
And MAGAGAGA to you too.

From the link in your link.
https://youtu.be/UmhAb3i99mg

So? I just added an extra ga. It's actually kinda hard not too, once you are in the MAGAGA flow it calls for more gaga.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:39 am
And MAGAGAGA to you too.

So? I just added an extra ga. It's actually kinda hard not too, once you are in the MAGAGA flow it calls for more gaga.
Lady Gaga is going to have to revert to Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, which will be difficult to fit on her merch.

Murkowski, Peltola reelected in Alaska's ranked-choice voting, ABC News reports

Bye-bye, Sarah.
Edit: GoCubsGo beat me to it by 40 minutes. :clap:
viewtopic.php?t=861&p=177034#p177034

So far, freedom is winning over GQP fascism.
Haha, great to see TRE45QN was the kiss of death in 2 more races. Let's see:
2016 - lost the popular vote by 3M, only barely won the EC with campaign finance felonies and Russian assistance;
2018 - lost the House;
2020 - lost the WH and the popular vote by 7M, and lost the Senate;
2022 - lost a net 2 governors, almost certainly lost a Senate seat, achieved an anemic Red Trickle in the House. Joltin' Joe had a better midterm than any Dem for decades and most RepuQs other than "warrior (lol)" Shrub in 2002.

I endorse Former PINO's stunningly successful slow motion campaign to destroy the GQP!
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:21 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:39 am
And MAGAGAGA to you too.

Lady Gaga is going to have to revert to Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, which will be difficult to fit on her merch.

Murkowski, Peltola reelected in Alaska's ranked-choice voting, ABC News reports

Bye-bye, Sarah.
Edit: GoCubsGo beat me to it by 40 minutes. :clap:
viewtopic.php?t=861&p=177034#p177034

So far, freedom is winning over GQP fascism.
2016 - lost the popular vote by 3M, only barely won the EC with campaign finance felonies and Russian assistance;
2018 - lost the House;
2022 - lost a net 2 governors, almost certainly lost a Senate seat, achieved an anemic Red Trickle in the House. Joltin' Joe had a better midterm than any Dem for decades and most RepuQs other than "warrior (lol)" Shrub in 2002.

I endorse Former PINO's stunningly successful slow motion campaign to destroy the GQP!
You omitted maga Comey's email bs and Obama backing down to mitch once again by failing to inform the American people before the election ofthe russian interference in the 2016 race. So maybe in the long run trump was a good thing, but I doubt it.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:31 am
' So maybe in the long run trump was a good thing, but I doubt it.
Nope. Not in this or any alternate universe. There was a line of thought back in 2016 that if Hillary won, she'd just spend her 4 years getting obstructed and trashed by the Repugs, get nothing done and be Cartered into obscurity with the Repugs sweeping 2020 and maybe keeping power for years to come. So in that scenario, having a clown like Trump win as a Repug might not be so awful.

Wrong. Nobody could possibly have guessed how much he could destroy in just a few years. Not just a matter of repealing a few regulations or pulling the teeth out of agencies like EPA, but deep structural damage to the core of the country. Broad weakening in the belief in the rule of law, precedent after precedent of flouting the law and long-held common practice. Changing the usual political competition into actual hatred for "the other side." Shutting down meaningful political discourse in public and private. Making broad disrespect and racial hatred socially acceptable. No the US wasn't perfect before Trump, and there were racists and haters and right-wingers before, but he gave them voice and power - changing the society drastically and in a lasting manner.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
... So far, freedom is winning over GQP fascism.
2018 - lost the House;

You omitted maga Comey's email bs and Obama backing down to mitch once again by failing to inform the American people before the election ofthe russian interference in the 2016 race. So maybe in the long run trump was a good thing, but I doubt it.
I definitely should include Comey's October surprise, but Dems shooting themselves in the foot comes with the territory. If I started listing all the ways Dems fucked up in 2016, including Hillary being a lousy candidate, I'd crash banni's updated platform. :wave:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:12 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
... So far, freedom is winning over GQP fascism.
2018 - lost the House;

I definitely should include Comey's October surprise, but Dems shooting themselves in the foot comes with the territory. If I started listing all the ways Dems fucked up in 2016, including Hillary being a lousy candidate, I'd crash banni's updated platform. :wave:
Why was Hillary a bad candidate? (Shirley you don't listen to fox)
Sure I disagree with her on some things, but we would probably have single payer health care instead of Obama's Feed the Insurance Companies bs, or his failure to handle BP spewing millions of barrels of oil into the Gulf.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:23 pm

Why was Hillary a bad candidate? (Shirley you don't listen to fox)
Sure I disagree with her on some things, but we would probably have single payer health care instead of Obama's Feed the Insurance Companies bs, or his failure to handle BP spewing millions of barrels of oil into the Gulf.
I've been a big time Hillary fan since Bill's first campaign. In fact, I used to say that although the ballot said "Bill" I was really voting for Hillary. And I really wanted her to be President. But she was a bad choice of candidate. The degree to which she was hated by a large number of voters was greatly underrecognized. She (her campaign) didn't pay attention to data that ultimately cost the election, and she ignored - took for granted - states that were changing. But no, even if she had been elected, we wouldn't have single payer health care or much of anything else because of Repug obstruction.

The campaign errors could have been corrected, and she could have won, but I don't see any way she'd have been able to be effective.