2024 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: 2024 Elections

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:36 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:23 pm

Why was Hillary a bad candidate? (Shirley you don't listen to fox)
Sure I disagree with her on some things, but we would probably have single payer health care instead of Obama's Feed the Insurance Companies bs, or his failure to handle BP spewing millions of barrels of oil into the Gulf.
I've been a big time Hillary fan since Bill's first campaign. In fact, I used to say that although the ballot said "Bill" I was really voting for Hillary. And I really wanted her to be President. But she was a bad choice of candidate. The degree to which she was hated by a large number of voters was greatly underrecognized. She (her campaign) didn't pay attention to data that ultimately cost the election, and she ignored - took for granted - states that were changing. But no, even if she had been elected, we wouldn't have single payer health care or much of anything else because of Repug obstruction.

The campaign errors could have been corrected, and she could have won, but I don't see any way she'd have been able to be effective.
I mostly agree, but she won the popular vote. I still think that if she had advertised on Fox she could have turned a few votes.
She would have been so much stronger than Obama. He xaved to Mitch's each and every whim.

I guess I mostly just didn't like Obama's mr.niceman dealings with the republicans.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:23 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:12 pm
I definitely should include Comey's October surprise, but Dems shooting themselves in the foot comes with the territory. If I started listing all the ways Dems fucked up in 2016, including Hillary being a lousy candidate, I'd crash banni's updated platform. :wave:
Why was Hillary a bad candidate? (Shirley you don't listen to fox)
Sure I disagree with her on some things, but we would probably have single payer health care instead of Obama's Feed the Insurance Companies bs, or his failure to handle BP spewing millions of barrels of oil into the Gulf.
We were discussing 2016, not 2008. Obama was not my first choice in the 2008 primaries, but I did prefer him to Hillary. Would she have been more progressive or better at resisting the Repug obstructionism? -0-?

I felt that she was stained by Bill's DINO tendencies, and I thought that she was too con for me in her own political career. I hated her vote for the Iraq War as a Sen, and support for the military coup in Honduras and KXL pipeline as Sec of State. Then, there were the dirty tricks pulled on Bernie! There was also:

Why Hillary's Super-Predator Comment Matters
Hillary's comment holds more significance than simply referring to gang members. Referring to black kids as super-predators back then is like how people use "thug" now. It was used to justify mass incarceration for many addicts and small dose marijuana users, not dealers.

:puke-left: :obscene-birdiered:

Edit: What O Really says. Great minds . . .

Here we're discussing policy when you've been telling us that where Dems really fail is at simple, clear messaging. I'm not saying that she was a terrible pol or would have been a poor POTUS. Rather, I'm saying that as a candidate she flopped. She should have wiped the floor with TRE45QN. Hillary never had much charisma and for whatever reasons, and I'm sure that sexism is part of it, she never sufficiently connected with the American people.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Yeah, "basket of deplorables" stuck, but didn't exactly work the way she'd hoped.

O Really
Admiral

As we move toward 2024 with credible candidates including Trump, DeSantis, and probably a re-run of some of the previous clown car such as Cruz, this article from the Harvard Crimson in 1964 will break your heart. "unthinkable" to vote for Goldwater, who would be considered way left by todays Repug standards, and whose "extremism" would almost past for moderate now.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1964 ... ths-after/
Even if Johnson and Humphrey were less able than they are, it is inconceivable that a vote could be cast for the Republican candidates. Goldwater's childish approach to foreign policy, simplistic criticism of "big government," irresponsible stand on civil rights and unconscionable vote on the Test Ban Treaty head the list of his disqualifications for the Presidency. His pious platitudes, vaulting contradictions, and historical blindness combined with his thinly veiled exploitation of fear and prejudice mark Goldwater as a thoroughly bankrupt candidate. And as Know-Nothingism incarnate ("In your heart you know he's right"), Goldwater has demonstrated his lack of intelligence with appalling frequency; his election would be nothing less than a catastrophe.

Putting Representative Miller a heart beat from the Presidency is even more unthinkable. Deficient in experience, performance, and ability, Miller is a despicable non-entity, a hack politician whose vicious campaign eminently qualifies him for the discredited obscurity he will find after November 3.

O Really
Admiral

So unlikeable, somewhat despicable, heavily assholey Kanye West announces his run for President. It would be reminiscent of back when comedian Pat Paulsen "ran" for President each election, or when people have nominated Alfred E. Neuman, except for Trump. Trump demonstrated that you don't need experience, knowledge, ability, or really any qualifications to run outside of pop culture name recognition to win or be competitive in contemporary politics. So unlikely as it is, it's no longer impossible to envision a collision of circumstances where we could end up with a "President Ye"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:48 pm
So unlikeable, somewhat despicable, heavily assholey Kanye West announces his run for President. It would be reminiscent of back when comedian Pat Paulsen "ran" for President each election, or when people have nominated Alfred E. Neuman, except for Trump. Trump demonstrated that you don't need experience, knowledge, ability, or really any qualifications to run outside of pop culture name recognition to win or be competitive in contemporary politics. So unlikely as it is, it's no longer impossible to envision a collision of circumstances where we could end up with a "President Ye"
It gets better:

Kanye West Spent Thanksgiving By Having Trump Scream At Him For Even Thinking Of Running Against Him In 2024

Kanye West Says He Asked Donald Trump to Be His Running Mate in New Presidential Campaign Ad

In 2020 Ye ran on the Birthday Party ticket, garnering 78K votes out of 158M cast, 0.04%. No word on whether it will be the Birthday Party again.

YE24
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:11 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:48 pm
It gets better:

Kanye West Spent Thanksgiving By Having Trump Scream At Him For Even Thinking Of Running Against Him In 2024

Kanye West Says He Asked Donald Trump to Be His Running Mate in New Presidential Campaign Ad

In 2020 Ye ran on the Birthday Party ticket, garnering 78K votes out of 158M cast, 0.04%. No word on whether it will be the Birthday Party again.

YE24
Really makes me question reality... maybe I'm in the matrix.

O Really
Admiral

bannination wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:03 pm

I only watched "Matrix" once not long after it came out, and I didn't exactly understand it and had a difficult time keeping up with the plot and characters. So yeah, a lot like today's real life.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Wait, what?!

Did trump have Thanksgiving dinner with Kanye and Nick?

My bad. Guess it was on Tuesday.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:45 pm
Wait, what?!

Did trump have Thanksgiving dinner with Kanye and Nick?

My bad. Guess it was on Tuesday.
No Blacks allowed on Thursday?

Senate GOP rebukes Trump with Electoral Count Act

Eighteen Senate Republicans rebuked former President Trump this week by voting to clarify that the vice president does not have the power to overturn a presidential election as Trump pressured then-Vice President Mike Pence to do on Jan. 6, 2021.

And several other Republicans, who didn’t vote for the spending package, which included the electoral count reforms, such as Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), previously expressed support for changes to the law to make it tougher to object to the Electoral College’s vote.

GOP senators ignored Trump’s argument posted on Truth Social, his social media platform, that the 1887 Electoral Count Act should be left the way it is “in case of Fraud.”

Republican senators across the political spectrum said they want to slam the door on the notation that Pence had the authority to throw out a state’s slate of electors, which could open the door for future vice presidents to attempt to interfere with the Electoral College’s vote....
:clap: :---P
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Here's an interesting theoretical constitutional crisis.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Good question - I think it goes to show the degree to which the current situation is unusual, almost unique, that there apparently any laws or process rules to cover it. It would be pretty reasonable to say that the outgoing Speaker's term ends when a new one is elected, or to say that the majority party leader will be interim Speaker, or - since there isn't a requirement that the Speaker actually be a member of the House, the outgoing President or VP could serve as interim Speaker. Good luck on getting this clown car to pass anything, though.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It's a nearly historic impasse.
December 1923

An election for speaker took place December 3–5, 1923, at the start of the 68th Congress, following the 1922 elections in which the Republicans won a majority of the seats. Frederick H. Gillett received a majority of the votes cast in the 9th ballot and was re-elected speaker. Progressive Republicans had refused to support Gillett for the first eight ballots. Only after winning concessions from Republican conference leaders (a seat on the House Rules Committee and a pledge that requested House rules changes would be considered) did they agree to support him. After this, multiple ballots would not be necessary to elect a speaker again until 2023.
It's hard to imagine a situation where no new Speaker was elected as late as Jan 20, but anything is possible. The Keystone RepuQs have had since election day to sort this out.

"Progressive Republicans" - I love those quirky phrases from our political anthropology. I wonder what they were? :headscratch:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:55 pm
It's a nearly historic impasse.
December 1923

An election for speaker took place December 3–5, 1923, at the start of the 68th Congress, following the 1922 elections in which the Republicans won a majority of the seats. Frederick H. Gillett received a majority of the votes cast in the 9th ballot and was re-elected speaker. Progressive Republicans had refused to support Gillett for the first eight ballots. Only after winning concessions from Republican conference leaders (a seat on the House Rules Committee and a pledge that requested House rules changes would be considered) did they agree to support him. After this, multiple ballots would not be necessary to elect a speaker again until 2023.
It's hard to imagine a situation where no new Speaker was elected as late as Jan 20, but anything is possible. The Keystone RepuQs have had since election day to sort this out.

"Progressive Republicans" - I love those quirky phrases from our political anthropology. I wonder what they were? :headscratch:
Anyone following Matt's vote? He's voted twice for trump to be Speaker.

Live Vote Count: Tracking the House Speaker Votes https://nyti.ms/3CmBDFI
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:33 am
Good question - I think it goes to show the degree to which the current situation is unusual, almost unique, that there apparently any laws or process rules to cover it. It would be pretty reasonable to say that the outgoing Speaker's term ends when a new one is elected, or to say that the majority party leader will be interim Speaker, or - since there isn't a requirement that the Speaker actually be a member of the House, the outgoing President or VP could serve as interim Speaker. Good luck on getting this clown car to pass anything, though.
Better question: Have republicans now realized that they can overturn a dem elected president when they control the House by intentionally not electing a Speaker until after January 6?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:11 pm
It gets better:

YE24
bannination wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:03 pm
More evidence:

John Bolton vows 2024 presidential run to stop Donald Trump securing White House

Great.
Warmonger John Bolton
Fascist DerSantis
White supremacist TRE45QN

Stay classy GQP. Should have taken the blue pill, dammit.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Rep. Katie Porter seeking Feinstein's Senate seat in 2024

... Porter, 49, was a consumer protection attorney before her election to the House, and she has earned a reputation for her tough questioning of CEOs and other witnesses at congressional hearings — often using a whiteboard to break down information.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: I approve of this candidacy.
Porter's media savvy was again on display during the recent meltdown in the U.S. House over the election of a new speaker. As Republicans argued, Porter was seen sitting in the chamber, disinterestedly, reading a book on “the subtle art” of not caring about what's happening.

The Associated Press
Seriously? The book already disguises the word:

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:52 am
Trump's growing GOP challengers revive fears of 2016 repeat

Good, an Rx for losing in the general. I say this with some slight trepidation that we may have a tiny chance of getting Dolt .45.2.

Nikki Haley - TRE45QN stained, plus no way the modern GQP nominates a woman or a non-White.
Fascist DerSantis - Peaking too soon, too much right wingnuttery to win the general, TRE45QN stained.
New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu - -0-?
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan - Too sane for the modern GQP.
Mike Pompeo - TRE45QN stained.
Texas Sen. Ted Cruz - LOL! Maybe Cancun mayor or tourism chief.
Not mentioned in the article: Abbott, Noem, EmptyG.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:16 am
Noem is one of the most despicable on your list.
Kristi Noem puts Ron DeSantis on notice while crowing about her 'aggressive' abortion restrictions

... Recent reports have suggested that Noem was given a blessing from former President Donald Trump to begin a 'one-way feud' with DeSantis, who has emerged as Trump's chief potential rival for the presidency in 2024.

Noem herself may be a rival to DeSantis for the 2024 GOP Presidential nomination, so she is staking her political stance to the right of DeSantis....
Let that sink in, "to the right of DeSantis." :shock:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

"California vs Florida - A Tale of Two Americas"
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA16t4gb

GoCubsGo
Admiral

The field begins to take shape.

Guess the bloom is off cheetohead's rose.