2024 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: 2024 Elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:25 pm
The field begins to take shape.

Guess the bloom is off cheetohead's rose.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kaitlancolli ... 9269457920

https://mobile.twitter.com/RonFilipkows ... 0263963649
Is it? He's still the Big Stinky Cheese:
Trump trounces DeSantis in potential GOP primary match-up, new poll finds

... A Morning Consult poll released Wednesday showed Trump with 48 percent support among potential Republican primary voters, followed by DeSantis with 31 percent. Trump’s front-runner position differs from some polls since the November midterm elections, which have shown DeSantis closing the gap with Trump or taking a lead in some cases.

Former Vice President Mike Pence came in third with 8 percent, followed by former Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) with 3 percent. Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) both received 2 percent.

Trump’s support in Morning Consult polls over the past month has stayed between 45 and 50 percent, while DeSantis has hovered around 30 percent....

The poll did show that DeSantis would perform somewhat better against President Biden in a hypothetical general election match-up than Trump would. DeSantis led Biden by 3 points, 44 percent to 41 percent, while Biden led Trump by 3 points, 43 percent to 40 percent....
I've said it before, IMO there's no way that the modern GQP nominates a woman or a non-White. Nikki Haley checks both boxes. It also means no ma'am to Noem.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Thanks Merrick, if you had done your job the man would be in prison.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Florida has fallen and can't get up. The Huns have over-run the moats and become encroached. Milton was right, "“Never can true reconcilement grow where wounds of deadly hate have pierced so deep...”

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/th ... f7c21d1b74

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:36 am
Florida has fallen and can't get up. The Huns have over-run the moats and become encroached. Milton was right, "“Never can true reconcilement grow where wounds of deadly hate have pierced so deep...”

Doesn't this support what I said about impeachment and conviction in the Senate of Biden for him Crimes?

"'Never can true reconcilement grow where wounds of deadly hate have pierced so deep...”

We must work with repugs to remove his from office immediately.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/th ... r-AA16BKZK
Speaking of fucked up states, the moment that Whack9 has been waiting for:
Campaign 2024
Donald Trump Announces South Carolina Campaign Leadership Team

Live
4:00 PM EST ON CSPAN • CC

2024 Republican presidential hopeful and former President Donald Trump announces the leadership of his South Carolina campaign team at the Capitol in Columbia; he's joined by Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Gov. Henry McMaster (R-S.C.).
No mention of Sen. Rick Scott (R-S.C.). Probably some unlisted House Reps involved, just not on the TV listing. So much for GQP leadership universally shunning Dolt .45.

This is not actually being broadcast right now. C-Span is not telling us what's up with that. Ah, the C-Span website says that it begins at 4:30 PM EST. Thank god, we haven't missed it. It does not say "Live", though. 17 minutes to tune in, folks.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Not gonna do it

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:26 pm
Not gonna do it
:D Delayed start, still on. Dolt .45 is spewing lies and stupidity. 30 seconds is my limit.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Arizona Republicans pick former Trump official to lead party

"former ... Trump aide Jeff DeWit"
"supported by (wingnut sore LOSER) Kari Lake ... and retired Gen. Michael (Pizzagate) Flynn... (LOSER) Trump made a last-minute endorsement"
"chief operating officer of Trump's (LOSING) 2020 campaign."

Translation: AZ RepuQs have given up on winning the next few elections. They prefer their wacko echo chamber. Good.
Why not Kari Lake? I hear she's looking for a job.
Republicans have turned America into a really bad reality TV show.
Deflect, deny, demean and disgust. That’s all the GOP wants to do.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Had to have been rigged.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:10 am
😯

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Well that's mildly interesting.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:14 am
Well that's mildly interesting.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RonFilipkows ... 1315263488
I'm not clear what "qualify as a candidate" means. Qualify for the primaries? Qualify for the general by being nominated? Even qualify by getting elected in Nov 2024?

Then, I wonder about the "early March" deadline. Nothing to stop him from calling a special session anytime to rubber stamp his wishes.
Or he does what the rest of the GOP has learned to do, ignore the law and play a game of chicken with justice, smearing anyone who tries to apply actual rules to him.
Ever

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

It wouldn't be the first time this law was changed so someone could run.
republican Crist had the law changed when he was being considered by McCain for vp.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

It's too soon to start this cycle.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:35 am

TRE45QN announced 80 days or so ago. :roll:

I worry that some bitter Trumpette that was humiliated on national TV will assassinate Jordan Klepper one of these days. He really scorches them.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:49 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:35 am

TRE45QN announced 80 days or so ago. :roll:

I worry that some bitter Trumpette that was humiliated on national TV will assassinate Jordan Klepper one of these days. He really scorches them.
How would they know who he is? :shifty:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:58 am
How would they know who he is? :shifty:
Liberal niece or nephew saying, "I saw you on TV, lol."
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:

Everyone should have CA's issues.
The 2024 California Senate race could be Democrats' next big civil war
Reps. Adam Schiff, Katie Porter, Barbara Lee and (maybe) Ro Khanna gear up for a fight over the future of the left.

... With the news Thursday that Rep. Adam Schiff of Los Angeles is entering the ever-more-crowded fray — and that 89-year-old incumbent Sen. Dianne Feinstein isn’t even planning to decide whether to retire or run again until “next year” — California appears to be barreling toward a Senate contest that could easily become the craziest of the cycle: a civil war between some of America’s top Democrats about what it means to be a progressive in 2024....

Schiff isn’t the first Golden State Dem to set his sights on Feinstein’s seat, and he probably won’t be the last. Just days into the new year, Rep. Katie Porter of Orange County got a head start when she revealed that she would be running regardless of whether Feinstein stays or goes....

Lest she be outmaneuvered, longtime Oakland Rep. Barbara Lee informed her colleagues in a closed-door Congressional Black Caucus meeting the following day that she’s also planning to compete for Feinstein’s seat, according to Politico....

And at least one other marquee Democrat — Silicon Valley Rep. Ro Khanna — is considering a bid. “In the next few months I will make a decision,” Khanna told NBC News on Jan. 10....

The two Southern Californians (Porter and Schiff) have the most money in the bank ($7 million and $20 million, respectively) and the biggest national profiles. (Facing serious GOP challengers in her Orange County swing district, Porter in particular has become one of the party’s most prolific fundraisers, raking in a cool $25 million last cycle.) The two northern Californians (Lee and Khanna) are less loaded, but perhaps more beloved in certain sectors of the left.

An early statewide poll commissioned by the Porter campaign showed Porter leading the potential primary field with 30%, ahead of Schiff (29%), Lee (9%) and Khanna (6%). In a top-two runoff, Porter led Schiff by 11 percentage points....

As a former leader of the Congressional Black Caucus with deep roots in the East Bay’s activist scene, Lee, 76, represents two of the most enduring sources of Democratic strength: the Black community and urban liberals. (In 2001, Lee cemented her progressive bona fides when she became the lone member of Congress to vote against authorizing the war in Afghanistan.) Her candidacy will test, in part, whether the factor that puts “a candidate over the top is appeal to the base, and that’s people of color, particularly women of color,” as Aimee Allison, president and founder of She the People, recently told the Sacramento Bee.

It will also test how eager California Democrats are for generational change; according to a San Francisco Chronicle report, Lee’s team is already trying to address age concerns by “pitching her to donors as a transitional candidate who’d serve [only] one term.”

... A former student of Warren’s at Harvard Law School, Porter has displayed a Warren-like knack for exposing corporate chicanery and demystifying special-interest complexities, often utilizing her signature “whiteboard” to relentlessly interrogate congressional witnesses. “She stands up to Wall Street and Big Pharma,” Warren said in an endorsement video released immediately after Porter’s announcement. “She holds fossil fuel companies accountable. And she fights for all our rights. We need her — and her whiteboard — in the United States Senate.”

... In other words, it’s clear even now that California is going to be a Democratic slugfest in 2024 — and a revealing one at that.
IMO:

Feinstein - too old, time to retire and go spoil the great grandchildren. Always too moderate for my tastes, especially on national security state issues, but I probably voted for her for SF mayor and for senator. I do honor her decades of responsible and competent service.

Schiff - certainly earned his stripes battling the Cult .45 and other RepuQs, but he is an old White man when CA has quality alternatives.

Porter - I think she's amazing.

Lee - she literally is/was my Rep. I voted for her for her 2nd term, but she's now too old :( . There hasn't been a Black woman in the Senate since Kamala quit, so I won't be crying if Lee gets the nod.

Khanna - Idk him as well as I should, but nothing wrong with a Carter/Bernie! mentee in my book. This article says that he might shoot for POTUS, instead :clap: . Fine with me if he joins Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) and Mazie K. Hirono (D-HI) in the Senate Asian caucus.

Off the top of my admittedly ignorant head, in descending order of preference:
Porter
Khanna
Schiff
Lee
Feinstein

A qualified female POC would also be great.

O Really? Also, how is rookie Sen Alex Padilla doing? Looks like he's a strong tree hugger. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:46 pm

. There hasn't been a Blackish woman in the Senate since Kamala quit, so I won't be crying if Lee gets the nod.
FTFY

O Really? Also, how is rookie Sen Alex Padilla doing? Looks like he's a strong tree hugger. :thumbup:
I'll vote for Schiff.
I don't know of anything Padilla has done positive or negative, so I guess he's doing a good job.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:33 pm
Vrede too wrote:

. There hasn't been a Blackish woman in the Senate since Kamala quit, so I won't be crying if Lee gets the nod.
FTFY
:D It's America. Any drop of Black blood ...
O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:33 pm
Vrede too wrote:
I'll vote for Schiff.
:lol: I was going to put him in a "spoiler" box, but I felt bad about assuming how an old White man would vote. :P
I don't know of anything Padilla has done positive or negative, so I guess he's doing a good job.
:D What I noticed:
Tenure

... While in office, Padilla introduced legislation to add more legal protections for various public lands in California, including parts of the San Gabriel Mountains, Los Padres National Forest, and Carrizo Plain National Monument. Padilla also introduced legislation to help coastal communities adapt shorelines to increased flooding and erosion from sea level rise and extreme weather.
:clap:

Caveat to my post above: Padilla is the senator from southern CA. Maaaybe IMO that would elevate northerner Khanna above Porter, and northerner Lee above Schiff. -0-?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:54 pm

Caveat to my post above: Padilla is the senator from southern CA. Maaaybe IMO that would elevate northerner Khanna above Porter, and northerner Lee above Schiff. -0-?
We don't want to go dividing up senators into northern and southern. I don't mind if the Bay area gets one, but large parts of the "real" northern California would vote in some Idaho wannabe clown. Of course, this is the Dem primary we're talking about, so the Shasta area and up won't be voting anyway.