2024 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: 2024 Elections

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

It also occurs to me that the GOP field is really running for second place as the frontrunner could very well be incarcerated at election time and the runner up will become the defacto "winner."
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:09 am

Some of these guys still think The Party of Reagan is still out there somewhere.
I'm pretty sure the Party of Reagan is deader than Reagan himself. I keep going back to Reagans "11th Commandment." Now, even the vaguest concept of "not speak(ing) ill" is as foreign and quaint as a plate of haggis. But then, the old time Republicans were the ones who developed the Southern Strategy and kicked the party into active racism.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:43 am
GoCubsGo wrote:

Some of these guys still think The Party of Reagan is still out there somewhere.
I'm pretty sure the Party of Reagan is deader than Reagan himself. I keep going back to Reagans "11th Commandment." Now, even the vaguest concept of "not speak(ing) ill" is as foreign and quaint as a plate of haggis. But then, the old time Republicans were the ones who developed the Southern Strategy and kicked the party into active racism.
At the beginning of trumpism I thought it was an aberration having more to do with Hillary than trump himself or general loonies living amongst us and we would revert back to the "norm" with a few wingnuts in Congress.

Blew that call.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:19 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:43 am
GoCubsGo wrote:

At the beginning of trumpism I thought it was an aberration having more to do with Hillary than trump himself or general loonies living amongst us and we would revert back to the "norm" with a few wingnuts in Congress.

Blew that call.
You forgot what Reagan did to the economy
What republicans did to Clinton
What Bush did to the world and our economy
and
What republicans did to the Obamas

Sure trump is an ignorant fool, but these others are responsible for his lawlessness.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:44 pm
So exactly who does Pence think his voters are? Not maga people since his "betrayal" of Trump. And not anti-Trump RepuQ's because of his spending 4 years as a Trump toadie. Not RepuQ or unaffiliated moderate sorts because he's always been a right wing zealot. Not even his wife because she's still mad at him for ruining their lives getting tied to Trump. Maybe he thinks he'll steal some those mythical Black votes from Scott.
TV thinks that VP Q-tip will rally evangelicals and that his long track record of bigotry will appeal to the haters in the GQP. All of these wannabes are hoping for/counting on the courts and Christie to pile on TRE45QN and on Fascist DerSantis to keep floundering. Given that these are both realistic possibilities, the RepuQ race would than get thrown wide open for a White man.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Remember, they're all playing for second place and when the shit hits the fan for Donald Pence wants to come off as the calm, reasonable fascist.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:32 pm
Remember, they're all playing for second place and when the shit hits the fan for Donald Pence wants to come off as the calm, reasonable fascist.
I meant that I think they're playing for first place IF/when Donny and Ronny flop.
TV is saying 12 candidates, but I count 14.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Repu ... _primaries

White men
Doug Burgum, Governor of North Dakota
Chris Christie
Fascist DerSantis
Asa Hutchinson former Governor of Arkansas
VP Q-tip
Dolt .45
John Anthony Castro, tax consultant and perennial candidate
Perry Johnson, businessman who failed to qualify for the 2022 Michigan gubernatorial election
Steve Laffey, former mayor of Cranston, Rhode Island (2003–2007)
Corey Stapleton, former Montana Secretary of State (2017–2021)

Losers (non-White and/or non-male)
Larry Elder
Nikki Haley
Vivek Ramaswamy
Tim Scott

Then, there are:
Decision pending
Publicly expressed interest
Potential candidates
Declined to be candidates

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:03 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:56 pm
Honestly, like most things trump it's nothing more than an empty slogan designed to garner a visceral reaction from his base. His definition of swamp is whatever is convenient or opportunistic solely for him at any given point in time.

"Lock her up" also comes to mind.
Yep, 4 years of DoJ control and Dolt .45 couldn't even manufacture charges against Hillary, let alone find legit ones. He knew it was a lie all along and all those Trumpettes and CPFools obediently chanting, "Lock her up!" just proved how gullible and stupid they are.
Lindsey Graham Yells Back at George Stephanopoulos for Cutting Off Hillary Clinton Tirade: ‘Let Me Finish!’

Lindsey Graham was one fired-up Donald Trump devotee the minute George Stephanopoulos introduced him on Sunday’s “This Week,” immediately contrasting Trump’s indictment with Hillary Clinton’s emails, and when the ABC journalist tried to get him back on track, the South Carolina Senator went ballistic.

After Stephanopoulos mentioned the 37 criminal counts Trump faces for his alleged mishandling of classified documents, he asked Graham if he believed Trump when he said he did nothing wrong. And, with that, Graham’s deflection began, attempting to turn the spotlight on Clinton’s use of a private server when she was Secretary of State....

A clearly riled Graham continued to go all-in on the “absolutely ridiculous” espionage charge against Trump, comparing it again to Clinton’s accused improper handling of emails, for which Graham said “not a damn thing happened to [Mrs. Clinton].” Stephanopoulos responded, “She was fully investigated and the investigation found no intentional holding back [of documents].”
I do some research and scriptwriting for ol' George:
That seemed to further inflame Graham, who shot back, “Yeah, right.” To that, Stephanopoulos pointed out that Trump was president for four years, and his administration had plenty of time to bring a case against her.
:wave:

Lindsey, you're a whiny, Trumpette idiot.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:03 pm
You forgot what Reagan did to the economy
What republicans did to Clinton
What Bush did to the world and our economy
and
What republicans did to the Obamas

Sure trump is an ignorant fool, but these others are responsible for his lawlessness.
All that history has led to Florida ruling the GQP.
Miami Mayor Francis Suarez files to run for president as a Republican in 2024

... Suarez, a Cuban American, is currently in his second term as mayor of Miami, Florida's second-most populous city. Until recently, he also served as the president of the bipartisan US Conference of Mayors....

The first major Hispanic candidate to enter the Republican race, Suarez starts off as a decided underdog in the primary, with former President Donald Trump, a resident of nearby Palm Beach, and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis towering over the field in polling....
John Anthony Castro, tax consultant and perennial candidate, is a minor and irrelevant Hispanic candidate in the Republican race. A fair number - 20%? - of Hispanics are GQP, but that doesn't mean they'll throw their votes away on Suarez.
... Suarez's late entry into the GOP primary, relative to other rivals, could affect his chances of qualifying for the first Republican primary debate, scheduled to take place in Milwaukee on August 23. The Republican National Committee has laid out strict polling and donor thresholds that candidates must meet to make the stage.
Just 2 months before they start? :roll: :puke-left:
... Suarez has also spoken about combating climate change – "It's not theoretical for us in the city of Miami, it's real," he told CBS News last year.

The mayor has on occasion locked horns with DeSantis, including over the governor's handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, his claims of election fraud in the state, and, most recently, his feud with Disney....
:thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Suarez has apparently done a decent job in the officially non-partison mayor job, and he's certainly got the "look" that would be well appreciated by voters tired of old white guys. But how he's going to get name recognition in time to get any votes is a mystery. I doubt most Floridians outside of the Miami local TV range could name the mayor of Miami. And "Mayor of Miami" isn't quite the same as Mayor of NY or LA. Miami is just one chunk of that greater South Florida area, with a population about the same as Raleigh. And a population not at all like the US as a whole. Of course, Buttigieg made a run as "Mayor Pete" from100K something population South Bend, but overall his professional background was fairly extensive.

Or maybe Suarez is doing the President thing to get some in-state recognition for a later run at governor or senate. Hoono.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Me want.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Conspiracy theory: Joe will drop out of the race, but late enough that only Newsom has the resources and positioning to stomp RFK Jr and any other wannabes.

“If Republicans nominate Mr. Trump again, they won’t ‘own the libs,’ as the faddish saying goes. The libs will own them.”
-- Rupert Murdoch's Wall Street Journal
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-t ... 6ff8618b56
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:37 am

:happy-cheerleaderkid: He's got my vote.
He's good, but no Pat Paulsen.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:59 am
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:37 am

:happy-cheerleaderkid: He's got my vote.
He's good, but no Pat Paulsen.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0YLDid0sWu8/ ... +FRONT.jpg
Okay boomer :P . RIP Pat.

The best IMO is perennial candidate Nobody for President (Wavy Gravy, Arthur Hoppe, Yippies, Curtis Sprangler et al).

"Because Nobody Is In Washington Right Now, Working For You"
"Nobody's Perfect"
"Nobody Should Have Too Much Power"
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition"

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

I could get on board with that.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:03 pm
Conspiracy theory: Joe will drop out of the race, but late enough that only Newsom has the resources and positioning to stomp RFK Jr and any other wannabes.
I'm not entirely sure that's in the conspiracy theory range. It may not be an active Plan A, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that it really is in consideration. Maybe only in case Biden can't continue for some reason, but still. Newsom would lose all the states that any Dem is going to lose anyway, but I think he'd do well everywhere that the unaffiliated vote matters.

O Really
Admiral

Article here by a right-wing New Yorker:
"Gavin Newsom Should Scare America"
As the governor of one of the most crime-riddled and expensive states in the country, plagued by homelessness and drug use, it’s hard to imagine that Newsom could ever win a presidential election on merit alone
Newsom faced a recall election in 2021, and despite being one of the least popular and effective governors in the country, he won against ultra-conservative Republican candidate Larry Elder.
https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/06/gav ... california

But:
Spoiler:
Majorities of California adults (58%) and likely voters (57%) approve of Governor Newsom’s handling of his job, according to the February PPIC Statewide Survey. Governor Newsom’s approval ratings among adults have not gone below 50% since his first year in office, when many were still on the fence about their new governor. Since then, majorities of adults have consistently said that they approve of the way that Gavin Newsom is handling his job—through the global pandemic, the January 6 attack on the US Capitol, the governor’s recall in 2021, and the midterm election in 2022.

Governor Newsom also receives positive ratings for his handling of several key challenges facing the state. Majorities of adults (57%) and likely voters (56%) say they approve of his handling of jobs and the economy. In the wake of his proposal to shrink state spending, majorities of adults (52%) and likely voters (53%) approve of his handling of the state budget and taxes. And majorities approve of his approach to environmental (59% adults, 59% likely voters) and education issues (60% adults, 57% likely voters).

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Really?

Why?

Sometime Lefty
Flight Lieutenant

Unread post by Sometime Lefty »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:06 pm
Really?

Why?

He bought both governor and senate seats. Why not president?