2024 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: 2024 Elections

Unread post by O Really »

The term "lying dog breaths" comes to mind.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

I didn't watch, apparently there's not much else that needs to be said.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:45 pm
I didn't watch, apparently there's not much else that needs to be said.

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/sta ... 4203785501

Lots more.

Hillary's 2016 idea first. Donna Brazile was not amused.
‘Kill the damn duck!’

GoCubsGo
Admiral

There are times in love the internet.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:01 pm
From what I've read about what a mess Debate2 was, there is a silver lining for the RepuQs:

Second GOP Primary Debate Views Hit An All Time-Low

No one saw it. :lol:

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:50 am
O Really wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:01 pm
From what I've read about what a mess Debate2 was, there is a silver lining for the RepuQs:

That's what they get for going against the Survivor premiere.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:55 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:50 am

That's what they get for going against the Survivor premiere.
:D They've already been voted out but just won't admit it.

Have I mentioned that I'm a political consultant for Gavin?
viewtopic.php?p=189916#p189916
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:00 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:20 am

Not quite the same as a resignation would have been. Gavin needs to rush an appointment and the Dems need to loudly dare the sleazy RepuQs to obstruct a Judiciary Committee replacement.
I can't find that we posted about it here :headscratch: , but IIRC Gavin has said that he would appoint a Black woman and that it would not be a declared candidate. This latter qualifier has pissed off Barbara Lee, but I think it's reasonable in a closely contested race. Let the voters decide without the Gov putting his thumb on the scale.

Edit: :lol: You added the tweet while I was composing and Ron Filipkowski and I used the exact same metaphor! Great minds . . .
California governor names Laphonza Butler, former Kamala Harris adviser, to Feinstein Senate seat

California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sunday selected Laphonza Butler, a Democratic strategist and adviser to Kamala Harris’ 2020 presidential campaign, to fill the vacant U.S. Senate seat held by the late Sen. Dianne Feinstein.

In choosing Butler, Newsom fulfilled his pledge to appoint a Black woman if Feinstein’s seat became open. However, he had been facing pressure from some Black politicians and advocacy groups to select Rep. Barbara Lee, a prominent Black congresswoman who is already running for the seat.
Good boy. No personal electoral experience, but one helluva resume:
Butler will be the only Black woman serving in the U.S. Senate, and the first openly LGBTQ+ person to represent California in the chamber.

Newsom said in a statement that the priorities Feinstein fought for in Congress — reproductive freedom, equal protection and safety from gun violence — were under assault in the nation. "Laphonza will carry the baton left by Sen. Feinstein (and) continue to break glass ceilings and fight for all Californians in Washington D.C.,” he said.

Butler leads Emily’s List, a political organization that supports Democratic women candidates who favor abortion rights. She also is a former labor leader with SEIU 2015, a powerful force in California politics.
:-|| I was a CA SEIU member in the early 1990s.
Her appointment sets up a potentially tricky political calculus in the crowded 2024 contest to succeed Feinstein, which has been underway since the beginning of the year.

Newsom spokesman Anthony York said the governor did not ask Butler to commit to staying out of the race. The deadline for candidates to submit paperwork to seek the office is Dec. 8.
Interesting.
Should Butler enter the contest, she could set up a competition for the relatively small but influential group of Black voters in California and possibly undercut Lee's chances.
Lee's already in 3rd. What would be the point? Better to build on her notoriety and Senate experience for the next US House or statewide office election.
... The seat is expected to stay in Democratic hands in the 2024 election. Democrats in the liberal-leaning state have not lost a statewide election since 2006, and the party holds a nearly 2-to-1 voter registration advantage over Republicans.
Go O Really and Sen Butler Go!

O Really
Admiral

So we've got a placeholder whose job is to click the button when Chuck says to, eh? I'm not sure why he thought it essential to appoint a Black woman. California has only 5% Black people, with as far as I know only about 20 or so are Republicans. On the other hand, 39% are Latino.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:29 am
So we've got a placeholder whose job is to click the button when Chuck says to, eh? I'm not sure why he thought it essential to appoint a Black woman. California has only 5% Black people, with as far as I know only about 20 or so are Republicans. On the other hand, 39% are Latino.
Butler has a year and a half to be something more than just a rubber stamp for Chuck, if she chooses.

Gavin already appointed a Latino senator, Alex Padilla. He took some heat for it because Padilla replaced a Black woman, VP Kamala. Gavin may not need Blacks to win CA, but he will need them to win POTUS. Best to be able to point to a rock star like Butler.

O Really
Admiral

Back when they passed the Trump tax cuts, somebody (that might have been me and thousands others) said that the Repugs were holding Charlie Brown's football again with a reduction in revenue leading to a deficit which would give them something to scream about. Did they do just that? Of course. Why is nobody answering every reference to "need to cut spending" with a harsh reminder of why there's a shortage?

Dems let the Repugs get by with anything. Say what they want, lie to the heavens, make up shit as they go along and just don't effectively challenge them.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:31 pm
Back when they passed the Trump tax cuts, somebody (that might have been me and thousands others) said that the Repugs were holding Charlie Brown's football again with a reduction in revenue leading to a deficit which would give them something to scream about. Did they do just that? Of course. Why is nobody answering every reference to "need to cut spending" with a harsh reminder of why there's a shortage?

Dems let the Repugs get by with anything. Say what they want, lie to the heavens, make up shit as they go along and just don't effectively challenge them.
Thom Hartmann via billy.pilgrim discusses that in more detail:
viewtopic.php?p=188822#p188822
“You Americans are such suckers."

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:31 pm

Exactly why I'm done with the dems.
Same with bush's poison pill to Medicare. Dems preached that advantage would end of Medicare until the day it passed, then Nevermore. Not a word spoken as Medicare enters its death spiral. Not a word is spoken as the rich still don't contribute to the system.
bush's disastrous tax cuts, as you may remember, were set to expire in 10 years because the dems rightly said it would run up the deficit and republicans didn't have the vote. Almost immediately we saw that the tax cuts weren't working, so we started a war to bolster jobs and manufacturing. That didn't work either and the economy went into Depression.
But there was light at the end of the tunnel; 3 more years and it would expire no matter what the republicans did. Obama rescued bush's tax cut when republicans couldn't.
I have a list of reasonable progressive ideas that the dems need to harp on, like the republicans do, until people start seeing the lies they've been told by their pols and by fox. Remember how many hundreds of millions of time fox said, "Death Tax", or "Obamacare". They kept at it until they won. Now not even dems say, or know about Estate Tax or the aca.
Serious, serious prison reform, including no private prisons.
No tax monies to churches and private schools - ever.
Leo reform with a national database for all cops. After very serious or 2nd minor racist incident, cop career is ended, done, over with.
Social security and Medicare taxes extended to all forms of income with the same rate for all. That should cut everyone making under 100,000 by 50%. Thank you dems
Hiding money offshore and cheating on taxes hurts our National Security. Give every country hiding our tax dollars a 30 day notice to turn over all tax cheat records and freeze ALL of their accounts. This must come with a warning that we must stop this assault and will use military force to collect all taxes due.
Voting reform.
There are many more, but there have to be an understanding that things must be short, sweet and repetitive, at least the message will have to give me hope; otherwise, it's just Lucy with the football, 1 step forward and 5 steps back.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Nice timing, I'm sure he'll grab a massive chunk of the news cycle.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Announces Independent Presidential Run

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:29 pm

'Not Joe's campaign (wink wink)' folks would be wise to fondly highlight Junior's RepuQ planks, in theory discouraging Dem votes for him while stealing some GQP voters. Maybe I'm dreaming, Junior could be a spoiler in swing states. :angry-banghead:

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:17 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:

'Not Joe's campaign (wink wink)' folks would be wise to fondly highlight Junior's RepuQ planks, in theory discouraging Dem votes for him while stealing some GQP voters. Maybe I'm dreaming, Junior could be a spoiler in swing states. :angry-banghead:
He's gonna get votes?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

I'm no longer sure why we bother.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:57 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:17 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:

He's gonna get votes?

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/sta ... 2007039067
:lol:
Too stupid to announce without a teleprompter.
Too stupid to know what a hot mike is.
Yeah, Junior might get some RepuQ votes.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This is dumb:
Former Dodgers, Padres star Steve Garvey joins U.S. Senate race

Former National League MVP Steve Garvey joined the race Tuesday to succeed the late California Sen. Dianne Feinstein, giving Republicans a splash of star quality on the ballot in a heavily Democratic state where the GOP hasn't won a Senate race in 35 years.

Garvey launched his campaign with a video lush with baseball imagery that recalled his career as a perennial All-Star who played for the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego Padres....

Garvey's entrance into a race gives Republicans a recognized name to many Californians, even though he may be unknown to millions of younger voters. He played his last major league game in 1987 with the Padres after an 18-year major league career.

Garvey, 74 ...
:roll: He would be 82 at the end of his term.
Garvey has flirted with the possibility of entering politics before, including after his retirement from baseball, when he teased a possible U.S. Senate run but never became a candidate.
If he ever really gave a damn about public service he had 36 years to try school board, city council, Leg, anything. It's sheer arrogance to jump straight into a US Senate race. :x
As a Republican, Garvey inevitably starts as a longshot in California, where Democrats hold every statewide office and dominate the legislative and congressional delegations. Republicans -- who are outnumbered about 2-to-1 by Democratic voters in the state -- haven't won a statewide race for any office since 2006.
What's the point? The RepuQs already have candidates, some of whom presumably have superior credentials to Garvey's. If you really need ego strokes that badly, Steve, just buy a convertible and get a hot mistress.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:22 am
This is dumb:

It's sheer arrogance to jump straight into a US Senate race. :x
Well sure, but on the other hand, he's got about the same political experience as the appointed Senator he wants to replace.