Sedition

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Sedition

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:59 am

Besides the trumpaloon public brooha that's sure to happen, it only takes one nutjob on the jury to hang it.

But that's obviously political and shouldn't be a factor but apparently is.

Get out of the kitchen Merrick.
By jove, I think you've got it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:25 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:59 am

Besides the trumpaloon public brooha that's sure to happen, it only takes one nutjob on the jury to hang it.

But that's obviously political and shouldn't be a factor but apparently is.

Get out of the kitchen Merrick.
By jove, I think you've got it.
Maybe this concern explains why some of the plea deals seem light, but not necessarily this one:
Former Marine One helicopter crew member sentenced to jail after rioting for Donald Trump

A Maryland man who had served as a helicopter crew member under President George W. Bush was sentenced to 12 months and one day in prison for his role in the January 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol.

John D. Andries, 37, of Piney Point, Maryland, had pleaded guilty last August 23 to a felony count of obstruction of an official proceeding. In addition to the prison term, U.S. District Court Judge Rudolph Contreras ordered $2,000 restitution and three years of supervised release, the Department of Justice reported.

Andries arrest had drawn extra attention in 2021 after CNN had obtained records showing that “he served in the Marine Corps from 2004 to 2009 and was assigned to the Marine Helicopter Squadron One, the unit responsible for transporting the president, Raw Story reported in March, 2021. He was listed as a helicopter crew chief, but not a pilot, on Marine One.
Not so light a sentence, could have been stiffer.
... Andries’ sentence was below the 15-to-21 months estimated in his plea agreement. Federal judges are not bound to follow the guidelines.
Judge Rudolph Contreras is an Obama appointee.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

3 Active Duty Marines Arrested For Joining Jan. 6 Capitol Riot
One said he was waiting for "Civil War 2."

... The men, all of who hold prominent military intelligence positions, have each been charged with knowingly entering a restricted building, two counts of disorderly conduct and parading or picketing inside the U.S. Capitol, where the FBI found they spent about 52 minutes with other rioters attempting to block the transference of power from Donald Trump to now-President Joe Biden.

The FBI said that Coomer, stationed at San Diego’s Camp Pendleton, posted photos to Instagram showing him inside the Capitol during the riot. In his caption, he wrote: “Glad to be apart [sic] of history.”

A search warrant also turned up direct messages he exchanged on the platform saying, “everything in this country is corrupt. We honestly need a fresh restart. I’m waiting for the boogaloo,” which he then explained meant “Civil war 2.”

The boogaloo movement is a loosely structured and violent far-right group that espouses anti-government beliefs and promotes white supremacy. It largely centers around their claim that a second civil war is coming to the U.S.

Footage showed Coomer inside the Capitol with Hellonen and Abate. At one point, they gathered to put a red “Make America Great Again” hat on a statue and pose for a photo with it.

Hellonen, stationed at North Carolina’s Camp Lejeune, was also seen in footage carrying a yellow “Don’t Tread on Me” flag ― a symbol often used by anti-government movements.

The FBI documents say that Abate, stationed at Fort Meade in Maryland, confirmed in interviews that he entered the Capitol with two “buddies.” He also “admitted he heard how the event was being portrayed negatively and decided that he should not tell anybody about going into the U.S. Capitol Building,” according to the FBI.

A total of nine others service members have been arrested for their roles in the riot, Military.com reported. The outlet also noted that 118 of the 940, or about 12% of the people charged with crimes related to the riot, have some type of military background.
:---P :---P :---P Lock them up.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:24 am
3 Active Duty Marines Arrested For Joining Jan. 6 Capitol Riot
One said he was waiting for "Civil War 2."

... The men, all of who hold prominent military intelligence positions, have each been charged with knowingly entering a restricted building, two counts of disorderly conduct and parading or picketing inside the U.S. Capitol, where the FBI found they spent about 52 minutes with other rioters attempting to block the transference of power from Donald Trump to now-President Joe Biden.

The FBI said that Coomer, stationed at San Diego’s Camp Pendleton, posted photos to Instagram showing him inside the Capitol during the riot. In his caption, he wrote: “Glad to be apart [sic] of history.”

A search warrant also turned up direct messages he exchanged on the platform saying, “everything in this country is corrupt. We honestly need a fresh restart. I’m waiting for the boogaloo,” which he then explained meant “Civil war 2.”

The boogaloo movement is a loosely structured and violent far-right group that espouses anti-government beliefs and promotes white supremacy. It largely centers around their claim that a second civil war is coming to the U.S.

Footage showed Coomer inside the Capitol with Hellonen and Abate. At one point, they gathered to put a red “Make America Great Again” hat on a statue and pose for a photo with it.

Hellonen, stationed at North Carolina’s Camp Lejeune, was also seen in footage carrying a yellow “Don’t Tread on Me” flag ― a symbol often used by anti-government movements.

The FBI documents say that Abate, stationed at Fort Meade in Maryland, confirmed in interviews that he entered the Capitol with two “buddies.” He also “admitted he heard how the event was being portrayed negatively and decided that he should not tell anybody about going into the U.S. Capitol Building,” according to the FBI.

A total of nine others service members have been arrested for their roles in the riot, Military.com reported. The outlet also noted that 118 of the 940, or about 12% of the people charged with crimes related to the riot, have some type of military background.
:---P :---P :---P Lock them up.
I wonder why it took 2 years to arrest these a-holes. At least one posted pictures of himself inside the Capitol. That's on the merrick level of slowness.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Lock them up or not, but boot them out of the Marine Corps with a least a bad conduct discharge.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:13 am
Lock them up or not, but boot them out of the Marine Corps with a least a bad conduct discharge.
But they won't unless there is a serious conviction
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:24 am
O Really wrote:
It takes a particular mind-set and personality to want to be a Marine - including thinking you are or will be the baddest dude in the valley, and it's not surprising nor disturbing that a number of those tend to the right wing. But the tradition of the Marines is to take the oath of loyalty and service to the US seriously, and many Marines have served faithfully and sometimes fatally for a leader they weren't fond of or under orders they didn't agree with. But any Marine that thinks participating in an effort to overturn an election or storm the Capitol is OK needs to be run out of the Corps on a rail.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:04 am
I wonder why it took 2 years to arrest these a-holes. At least one posted pictures of himself inside the Capitol. That's on the merrick level of slowness.
-0-? Maybe they IDed him early but didn't want to spook the other two until they were sure? I kinda like the notion that they thought they'd skated. Opps.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
I have no idea what military protocol is, but it would seem they must be kicked out of military intelligence. If they're going to throw away 2+ years of training and experience might as well drum them all the way out of the Corps.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:54 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
It takes a particular mind-set and personality to want to be a Marine - including thinking you are or will be the baddest dude in the valley, and it's not surprising nor disturbing that a number of those tend to the right wing. But the tradition of the Marines is to take the oath of loyalty and service to the US seriously, and many Marines have served faithfully and sometimes fatally for a leader they weren't fond of or under orders they didn't agree with. But any Marine that thinks participating in an effort to overturn an election or storm the Capitol is OK needs to be run out of the Corps on a rail.
Yeah, I'd say those Marines are in deep shit with the Corps. Especially that one that works at Ft. Meade. The story says they all have military intelligence ratings so they'll probably all lose their security clearances just by virtue of being arrested. They would lose those clearances if they were arrested for drunk driving. These boys may as well quit the Marines and join Proud Boys or another wingnut sect.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:21 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:04 am
-0-? Maybe they IDed him early but didn't want to spook the other two until they were sure? I kinda like the notion that they thought they'd skated. Opps.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
I have no idea what military protocol is, but it would seem they must be kicked out of military intelligence. If they're going to throw away 2+ years of training and experience might as well drum them all the way out of the Corps.
I'd guess it took two years to arrest them because since this started, they've arrested over 900 people and had to chase a lot of them all over the country, not to mention going through thousands of hours of video just to identify them (this includes subsequent postings on Facebook and other places that the dumbasses themselves provided) before they could be arrested. Then the ongoing court cases would require the initial DOJ investigator to attend the court case(s) he's personally involved in. This would preclude that investigator from pursuing others until filed cases are decided.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:23 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:54 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
Yeah, I'd say those Marines are in deep shit with the Corps. Especially that one that works at Ft. Meade. The story says they all have military intelligence ratings so they'll probably all lose their security clearances just by virtue of being arrested. They would lose those clearances if they were arrested for drunk driving. These boys may as well quit the Marines and join Proud Boys or another wingnut sect.
I guess Navy SEALs don't care

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video-shows-r ... d=75206495

"retired U.S. Navy SEAL is facing questions from the FBI after boasting in a Facebook video about "breaching the Capitol" last Wednesday after traveling to Washington to join a rally for President Donald Trump, an assault he said in the video that he hoped would ignite a "positive revolution."'

"The Navy veteran said he wanted lawmakers to be left "shaking in their shoes."'

"One video remaining on Newbold's event page for the D.C. rally for Trump advised his friends and followers to consider bringing walking sticks and mounted American flags to use as weapons to potentially fend off what he claimed could be violence by left-wing antifa protesters, as well as pepper spray and collapsible batons to defend themselves"

"Some Trump supporters used the poles from their Stars and Stripes flags, as well as batons and pepper spray, to brutally assault U.S. Capitol Police and D.C. Metropolitan Police"

He stands to have a second interview with the feds, but still no arrest 2 years later.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:39 pm

He stands to have a second interview with the feds, but still no arrest 2 years later.
A guess: It's all 1A protected unless there are witnesses or video that place him assaulting cops or inside the Capitol.
... Newbold denied that he ever assaulted police officers guarding the Capitol or penetrated the building himself, but said he was caught up in the moment with the crowd of Trump supporters trying to stop the certification of the 2020 presidential election....
Even promoting tools is arguably protected unless he'd said bring them to use against the cops.
... One video remaining on Newbold's event page for the D.C. rally for Trump advised his friends and followers to consider bringing walking sticks and mounted American flags to use as weapons to potentially fend off what he claimed could be violence by left-wing antifa protesters, as well as pepper spray and collapsible batons to defend themselves if necessary.
-0-?

Silver lining: He's still sweating whether he'll be charged or not 2 years later.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Still seems like white military exemption to me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:38 pm
Probably. I was just trying to imagine the possible DoJ/FBI perspective as to the odds of conviction. I say he did enough for a 14A "rebellion, or other crime" conspiracy charge. Scare him into a plea or take a shot with a jury, then lock him up!
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:03 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:39 pm

A guess: It's all 1A protected unless there are witnesses or video that place him assaulting cops or inside the Capitol.
... Newbold denied that he ever assaulted police officers guarding the Capitol or penetrated the building himself, but said he was caught up in the moment with the crowd of Trump supporters trying to stop the certification of the 2020 presidential election....
Even promoting tools is arguably protected unless he'd said bring them to use against the cops.
... One video remaining on Newbold's event page for the D.C. rally for Trump advised his friends and followers to consider bringing walking sticks and mounted American flags to use as weapons to potentially fend off what he claimed could be violence by left-wing antifa protesters, as well as pepper spray and collapsible batons to defend themselves if necessary.
-0-?

Silver lining: He's still sweating whether he'll be charged or not 2 years later.
Well, the unofficial motto of the SEALs is "the only easy day was yesterday." So it's appropriate that he think about that every day while he wonders if he'll get arrested tomorrow.

O Really
Admiral

Four more not-so-proud boys down.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:01 pm
Seditious trespassing?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:52 pm
This is heartbreaking.
There were many titles you could have chosen for this thread on J6. You nailed it. :-||
Four Oath Keepers guilty of seditious conspiracy in U.S. Capitol attack

... The 12-member jury found Oath Keeper members David Moerschel, Joseph Hackett, Roberto Minuta and Edward Vallejo guilty of seditious conspiracy.

All four were also found guilty of other felony and obstruction charges.

Seditious conspiracy is a rarely prosecuted Civil War-era law that prohibits plotting to overthrow or destroy the government and carries up to 20 years in prison.

A jury found Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes and another Florida-based leader of the group guilty of seditious conspiracy in a separate trial in November.

Three other members were found not guilty of that charge, but all five defendants in that trial were found guilty of obstructing Congress from certifying the election.

Prosecutors have brought criminal charges against more than 950 people following the assault....

A third seditious conspiracy trial against five members of the Proud Boys, another right-wing militant group, is ongoing....
:---P :---P :---P :---P Lock them up! Hey Merrick, IF you hesitate to charge Dolt .45 because you fear a crypto Trumpette on the jury, that excuse is looking shakier and shakier.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:59 pm
This going to get real real ugly before the night is over.
It did. Many RepuQs voted to not certify the election despite the day's terrorism.
Sedition Caucus

A total of 147 members of Congress voted in some form to invalidate the electoral college vote count of the 2020 presidential election: 139 in the House of Representatives, and 8 in the Senate.
Then, there were the 197 RepuQs in the House and 43 RepuQs in the Senate that voted against the second impeachment of TRE45QN.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_im ... introduced

Assholes, traitors!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:38 pm
Vice Special Report
American Terror: Extremism in the Ranks

Season 1, Episode 4 • New
11:00 PM EST ON VICE • Stereo • CC

Just began on VICE TV. They're also good about putting reruns on their website.
https://www.vicetv.com/en_us
Not posted yet, though.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:14 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:01 pm
Seditious trespassing?
Seditious "tourism".
Jan. 6 rioter who assaulted Capitol Officer Sicknick sentenced to 6 years in prison

Brianne Chapman protests outside the federal courthouse in Washington, D.C., on Friday, during the sentencing hearing for Julian Khater and George Tanios. Khater pleaded guilty to assaulting Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick with pepper spray on Jan. 6, 2021.

... Julian Khater of Somerset, N.J., pleaded guilty last September to two felony counts of assaulting, resisting or impeding officers with a dangerous weapon during the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol. He's been incarcerated since March 14, 2021.

One of the officers Khater was charged with assaulting, Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick, died the day after the attack. Washington, D.C., Chief Medical Examiner Francisco Diaz found that Sicknick died from natural causes after suffering multiple strokes; Diaz told the Washington Post, "all that transpired played a role in his condition."

In court Friday, Sicknick's mother, Gladys Sicknick, told Khater, "You attacked my son like he was an animal. You are the animal, Mr. Khater. ... How does it feel to be headed to jail for a bald-faced lie?"

... Officer Caroline Edwards, who was sprayed at the same time as Sicknick, said he turned "ghostly pale." She went on to explain that she couldn't help him because she was temporarily blinded from the chemical spray, and as a result continues to struggle with survivor's guilt.

"Brian gave some of the very last breaths he had defending the Capitol building ... and our democracy," Edwards said Friday....

Khater told the judge that he had worked on "many drafts" of his statement, but that he didn't apologize because of ongoing civil cases. Hogan told Khater that he should be concerned about civil liability.
Unaccountable coward.
Sicknick's longtime partner Sandra Garza sued the two rioters as well as Trump for Sicknick's wrongful death. She is seeking $10 million in damages from each defendant.

Garza said at the sentencing that she has seen "zero remorse" from either Khater or Tanios.

"To say the least, this has been a long, agonizing but humbling experience that has taken a huge toll on me," Khater said, adding that he suffers from "crippling anxiety."
:violin: Trumpettes are terrorists. 6 years minus time served works for me. Senior United States district judge Thomas F. Hogan was appointed by Ronald Reagan.
:---P
On the two-year anniversary of the insurrection earlier this month, President Biden awarded 14 people the Presidential Citizens Medal for defending the Capitol, including posthumous awards for Sicknick and fellow Capitol Police Officer Howard Liebengood. Liebengood died by suicided, according to a family attorney, just a few days after defending the Capitol Building.
1312. ETTD.