Weather

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Weather

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:54 am
Another example of just how tone-deaf and uncaring those assholes are. True, there's not much Cruz could actually do, but flying off to Cancun is just beyond the pale. Even without the power crisis, most everybody else is in restricted travel because of covid. Cruz, whose house surely has a back-up generator, couldn't even manage to stay around and toss a few towel rolls?
Flight of shame, maybe:

Ted Cruz is seemingly returning to Texas after 11 hours in Cancun
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Republicans be trashy, Ted Cruz doubly so.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Beto should have organized a reception
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:50 pm
Republicans be trashy, Ted Cruz doubly so.
He's throwing his daughters under the bus. Pig. Texans are wishing that he'd just stayed in Cancun.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Now this is a bridge too far.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Hannity Goes All In Defending Cruz’s Cancun Trip, Gets Contradicted By Cruz On Own Show
The Fox News personality’s take on the Mexico vacation didn’t square with the Texas Republican’s story.

... “Now, you went and you took your daughters to Cancun and you came back,” Hannity told Cruz. “I think you can be a father and be the senator of Texas all at the same time and make a round trip, quick drop-off, quick trip, and come home.”

... “And so last night I flew down with them to the beach and then I flew back this afternoon,” Cruz continued. “I had initially planned to stay through the weekend and to work remotely there, but as I was heading down there, you know, I started to have second thoughts almost immediately because the crisis here in Texas, you need to be here on the ground.”

“As much as you can do by phone, and Zoom, it’s not the same as being here, and so I returned this afternoon and I’m here working to make sure to do everything we can to get the power turned on,” Cruz added.

The story also contradicted the right-wing talking point that he couldn’t actually do anything to help anyway.
:---P :---P

Matt Gaetz’s Hot Take On Ted Cruz Apology Mocked By Many On Twitter
Twitter users agreed with the Florida Republican, but not in the way he probably hoped.

Someone is a little jealous of Cruz’s surge in the biggest-jerk-in-Congress derby.
America, you, seriously, have to start picking better humans to govern.
Real Men™ abdicate their duty in a time of crisis, throw their children under the bus to sell a lazy lie, and then DON'T apologize.
Article and more tweets at the link. Other tweets:
Wonder how the Cruz kerfuffle relates to climate change?

North pole heats up faster, jet stream wobbles, Texas freezes, Cruz runs to Cacun, Bam!

5 degrees of separation. No pun intended.

(note: former chair)
If you like piña coladas and getting caught on a plane
:thumbup: Think about it.
Dan Rather

Let’s be fair. Dunking on Ted Cruz is sort of like dunking on a 3-foot rim.
It's Blame Your Daughter At Work Day.
BREAKING: Perseverance Rover claims it was just dropping off daughters on Mars
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

AOC has done more for Texas than Cruz or gaetz

Wow - I turned on fux at noon central. All of the Texas problems are due to Biden's inaction and the media is covering up Biden's incompetence by attacking Cruz, similar to the way they diverted attention away from Obama's Benghazi disaster.
They accussed Biden of refusing to call Abbott until now and then went into an all out opposites day description of Katrina.

And Como killed over a thousand old people and has the most deaths of any state in the nation.

It's 12:10, no more TV.

It's no wonder fox watchers are so ill informed.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I'd be willing to bet that Ted has a generator and automatic transfer switch at his house. I'd also be willing to bet that his generator runs on natural gas.....so it won't work. Even when Ted thinks he's smart, he's a dumbass.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I understand the (hopefully) required quarantine, but I didn't understand why kids in quarantine couldn't work online. Seems a bit harsh for an "elite private school" that surely has extensive resources and parents willing to pay for extras.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:04 am
I understand the (hopefully) required quarantine, but I didn't understand why kids in quarantine couldn't work online. Seems a bit harsh for an "elite private school" that surely has extensive resources and parents willing to pay for extras.
It's a big flub for the article to not explain that. More from it:

Demonstrators stand in front of U.S. Senator Ted Cruz's home demanding his resignation, Thursday, Feb. 18, 2021, in Houston. Cruz has acknowledged that his family vacation to Mexico was “obviously a mistake” as he returned stateside following an uproar over his disappearance during a deadly winter storm.

... He also has expressed regrets for criticizing California in the past for its power problems, as old statements of him railing against vacationing politicians have been flung back in his face.

“Let's be honest, you're in Cancun ... you’re at the beach drinking daiquiris,” Cruz joked in a 2015 interview with a conservative commentator while mocking a climate change summit.

The video clip was unearthed by the liberal group American Bridge, which also obtained the text messages his wife sent to neighbors ahead of the trip. The messages were first reported by the New York Times.

“The question isn’t who leaked the text messages. It’s who didn’t leak them? It’s an example of how universally reviled Ted Cruz is in public and private life, and even in his own neighborhood,” said Max Steele, a communications advisor for American Bridge, who recalled Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham’s quip in 2016 about his colleague: “If you killed Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate, and the trial was in the Senate, nobody would convict you.”

... “I don’t feel badly for him,” said Victoria Konar, a parent of a senior at St. John’s School.

“You start with the fact that there are people ticked off by those who think they’re the VIPs at this school who don’t want to be bothered to follow the rules because it infringes on their social life. Then you’ve got people on top of that who don’t like Ted Cruz,” she said. “And then you have everyone irritated because they’re freezing to death and can't bathe and can’t eat and he’s going off to the Ritz Carlton in Cancun and lying about it.” ...
:---P
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Apparently his political asshole act isn't an act, and he's asshole to the bone.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:20 pm
Apparently his political asshole act isn't an act, and he's asshole to the bone.
😲Shocked, just shocked.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:58 am

It's a big flub for the article to not explain that. More from it:

Demonstrators stand in front of U.S. Senator Ted Cruz's home demanding his resignation, Thursday, Feb. 18, 2021, in Houston. Cruz has acknowledged that his family vacation to Mexico was “obviously a mistake” as he returned stateside following an uproar over his disappearance during a deadly winter storm.

... He also has expressed regrets for criticizing California in the past for its power problems, as old statements of him railing against vacationing politicians have been flung back in his face.

“Let's be honest, you're in Cancun ... you’re at the beach drinking daiquiris,” Cruz joked in a 2015 interview with a conservative commentator while mocking a climate change summit.

The video clip was unearthed by the liberal group American Bridge, which also obtained the text messages his wife sent to neighbors ahead of the trip. The messages were first reported by the New York Times.

“The question isn’t who leaked the text messages. It’s who didn’t leak them? It’s an example of how universally reviled Ted Cruz is in public and private life, and even in his own neighborhood,” said Max Steele, a communications advisor for American Bridge, who recalled Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham’s quip in 2016 about his colleague: “If you killed Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate, and the trial was in the Senate, nobody would convict you.”

... “I don’t feel badly for him,” said Victoria Konar, a parent of a senior at St. John’s School.

“You start with the fact that there are people ticked off by those who think they’re the VIPs at this school who don’t want to be bothered to follow the rules because it infringes on their social life. Then you’ve got people on top of that who don’t like Ted Cruz,” she said. “And then you have everyone irritated because they’re freezing to death and can't bathe and can’t eat and he’s going off to the Ritz Carlton in Cancun and lying about it.” ...
:---P
Yeah, weird.

I was thinking punitive punishment to discourage future transgressions.....

O Really
Admiral

Could be. Sort of a suspension. Of course, I've never understood how depriving a student from learning helps their education. Like the companies that use suspension as a disciplinary action for absenteeism. "OK, Phred, you need to understand your absenteeism is really bad. You've got a job here and we need you to do it. When you're out, you hurt your fellow workers and it's hard to keep up productivity. In fact, we need you here so badly that we're going to send you home for three days..."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:30 pm
Yeah, weird.

I was thinking punitive punishment to discourage future transgressions.....
Could be (edit: great minds, O Really). Or, the school is just saying that it won't spend a dime or ounce of effort on such recreation. Same result, slightly different motive. I also wonder if this was enforced prior to it blowing up nationally. Nothing stopping fat cat parents from hiring remote tutors, perhaps even through the school, so kids don't lag.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

It is a little strange. I don't know that the Cruz's are even the only people in Houston or from that school that headed out somewhere to avoid the misery. I'm pretty sure I would, if I could, and in fact we did back in the first winter we were in WNC - boogied off to Cabo, and then started wintering in Florida. Of course, we didn't leave the dogs alone at home, and we weren't public figures. But a high-profile asshole like Cruz, who showed no concern whatsoever for his ummm "constituents" is probably more likely to have the book thrown at him and his (possibly) bratty kids.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

The school has probably got their policy right.

The Cruz family are proving to be Covidiots despite not catching the virus.

Parents at Ted Cruz’s daughter’s exclusive Texas school demand they quarantine as family is pictured maskless on beach

Not a fan of paparazzi types stalking the families of anyone, but this did serve a purpose.