Mass Shootings

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Mass Shootings

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:57 pm
We come through Bend OR for a couple of weeks or so twice a year - northbound and southbound. Here's where we shop when we're there.
Arggggh!
https://patch.com/oregon/across-or/3-de ... ing-police
Not So Safeway? :( Could have been lots worse. Seems that there wasn't much planning, or commitment before he offed himself.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:57 pm
We come through Bend OR for a couple of weeks or so twice a year - northbound and southbound. Here's where we shop when we're there.
Arggggh!
https://patch.com/oregon/across-or/3-de ... ing-police
Welcome to my world.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:56 am

Any new news?

Guess we shouldn't be surprised.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:42 pm
Guess we shouldn't be surprised.
:cry: That will make it that much harder, along with his obvious mobility issues, to fit in with his peers and resume something approaching normal developmental progress. Then, there are the psychological issues that will likely linger for decades. It's heartbreaking.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Nothing learned.

FWIW, they are a private organization.

Henderson County youth league fires back at critics of its raffle of rifle

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Having the right to do it, and being right to do it are not the same thing. These people are assholes, to put it kindly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:45 am
Nothing learned.

FWIW, they are a private organization.

Henderson County youth league fires back at critics of its raffle of rifle
:( :puke-left: Thanks, dammit. When I was working at Mission they raffled a child's ATV. I emailed my objection because of child injuries. Pretty quickly the raffle was cancelled. They cited objections from one or more doctors and may not have even gotten around to reading my email. Nevertheless, I was proud to have done my part.
To: ehyfceagles@gmail.com
Subject: Raffle

Re: Henderson County youth league fires back at critics of its raffle of rifle
https://wlos.com/news/local/fn-15-patro ... ue-critics

I'm sure you've heard all the arguments by now, so I won't bother rehashing them. However, I will mention that as an ER RN it's been my sad duty to try to clean up the messes caused by the toxic ammosexuality that you espouse, including caring for injured children.

Here's an article that made me cry, maybe it will have an impact on you:
‘Still many unknowns’: 8-year-old Highland Park shooting survivor experiencing cognitive loss
https://www.lakemchenryscanner.com/2022 ... tive-loss/

I'm also distressed by the whiny tone of your response to critics. I don't detect even a trace of empathy or respect for contrary opinions. All I read is combativeness. Service orgs throughout the country and here in Henderson County manage to find the creativity to fundraise without resorting to tools of mass murder. I refuse to believe that you are so inept that you can't emulate them.

I sure won't be supporting EHYFC in any fashion as long as this is your annual travesty.

Be better,
(Vrede too)
Up to you, but I think that as a former local now living in Highland Park your statement would be powerful.

O Really, I seriously considered working "You people are assholes, to put it kindly," into my note ;) . Guess you'll have to send your own.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

This whole group couldn't come up with something better to raffle than a gun? Seriously? Nobody said, "guys, this might not be the image we want"? Without knowing what specific gun they're raffling it would be hard to pick a value, but let's say it's around $1,000. For that amount, they could raffle:
Decent quality e-bike
Weekend at Grove Park Inn
Gatlinburg Getaway
Gift cards for gas or groceries
Mountain Glamping https://www.theglampingcollective.com/a ... luxe-dome/

Or they could raffle a gun.
Assholes.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:34 pm
This whole group couldn't come up with something better to raffle than a gun? Seriously? Nobody said, "guys, this might not be the image we want"?
I could see if it was a one year flub that they've gotten snippy and defensive about, but this is their 3rd year!
Without knowing what specific gun they're raffling it would be hard to pick a value, but let's say it's around $1,000.
An FN 15 Patrol Carbine M-LOK, which has an AR-style magazine ...

For that amount, they could raffle:
Decent quality e-bike
Gatlinburg Getaway
11 mid-range trauma kits. :(
https://www.amazon.com/MediTac-IFAK-Mol ... B08SWQR4VQ
Assholes.
It's especially sick this Buffalo/Uvalde/Highland Park summer.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

$1,169.00

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:03 pm
O Really wrote:
This whole group couldn't come up with something better to raffle than a gun? Seriously? Nobody said, "guys, this might not be the image we want"?
I could see if it was a one year flub that they've gotten snippy and defensive about, but this is their 3rd year!
Without knowing what specific gun they're raffling it would be hard to pick a value, but let's say it's around $1,000.
An FN 15 Patrol Carbine M-LOK, which has an AR-style magazine ...

For that amount, they could raffle:
Decent quality e-bike
Gatlinburg Getaway
11 mid-range trauma kits. :(
https://www.amazon.com/MediTac-IFAK-Mol ... B08SWQR4VQ
Assholes.
It's especially sick this Buffalo/Uvalde/Highland Park summer.
Guns at schools, what a great idea.

https://sfist.com/2022/08/01/five-year- ... -to-blame/

https://sfist.com/2022/08/01/five-year- ... -to-blame/

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/15/us/lanca ... index.html

"Yaqub Salik Talib, 39, the brother of former NFL star and Super Bowl winner Aqib Talib, pulled out a gun after the opposing teams' coaching staffs had a disagreement over officiating during the game on Saturday in Lancaster, police said. Michael Hickmon, a grandfather and father of three from Lancaster, was killed.

"The altercation became physical, leading to the suspect pulling out a firearm and shooting Mr. Hickmon multiple times,"

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
This whole group couldn't come up with something better to raffle than a gun? Seriously? Nobody said, "guys, this might not be the image we want"? Without knowing what specific gun they're raffling it would be hard to pick a value, but let's say it's around $1,000. For that amount, they could raffle:
Decent quality e-bike
Gatlinburg Getaway

Assholes.
Guessing the item was donated or steeply discounted.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

FWIW,
They have a very limited online presence, nothing really updated. Can't even find a link to the "fundraiser".

Wonder if was by email only.

https://ehyfc.com/

And their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/ehyfc/

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Decent quality e-bike
Gatlinburg Getaway

Assholes.
They could even do something patriotic and raffle one of the $25 gold coins from the mint. But one costs a little more than the gun.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:44 pm
FWIW,
They have a very limited online presence, nothing really updated. Can't even find a link to the "fundraiser".

Wonder if was by email only.

https://ehyfc.com/

And their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/ehyfc/
I noticed that. They seem kinda broken.

* The homepage is amateurish. Seems weird to me, they've got an entire herd of 12 year olds, former 12 year old participants and parents, many of whom could do a better job.
* No rifle raffle (very alliterative) tix sales on their website or Facebook page, as you say, not even on their fundraising Sponsorship form and Personal Fundraisers page.
* The Facebook page is a little sharper, but not by that much.
* The homepage says, "Check out our FAQ page before messaging us on Facebook." However, I was not able to find a link to their Facebook page anywhere on their website, including the 2022 FAQ page.
* There's no web contact form and I had trouble finally finding an email address on their Sponsorship form.
* One can do Silver Sponsorship for $500. This gets you:
- Business Logo on our EHYFC website
- Business will be announced at all our
home games.
- A sponsor banner on our EHYFC
Facebook page.
- Business placed on our Sponsor banner
I'm not seeing any sponsor banner on the website or Facebook page. How is this possible that they can't rope some businesses in?

From their response whine:
We're currently taking applications for an official Fund Raiser.
Looks like they really need it. If they had a prior one s/he sucked.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:08 pm
Guessing the item was donated or steeply discounted.
It's weird that I'm not seeing the seller mentioned or thanked anywhere. It does look like something's blurred on the gun pic, maybe it's there.

The article:
The FN 15, which has an AR-style magazine, is up for grabs through raffle tickets sold by parents of the athletes.
I guess that's better than children 5-12 years old selling rifle raffle tix door-to-door, though I bet some kids are doing the selling. Would having a rifle raffle ticket in school violate "Zero Tolerance"? Pretty good advertising to have scores or hundreds of parents hawking your rifle.

Social media must be burning up over this here. Here we are a Californian, a Floridian, a Tennessean, one Hootervillite and an Illinoisy (what is the term?) that are wound up about this.

Maybe not, though, the article:
“I thought it was in very bad taste for them to choose a weapon that is being used against children,” said a Henderson County parent who did not want to be identified.
The whine:
In response to complaints made both publicly and "anonymously" regarding our raffle:
Folks afraid of ammosexual reaction? Even EHYFC, the article:
A spokesperson declined an on-camera interview with News 13 but released a statement regarding the decision to host the raffle:
The spokesperson is not IDed anywhere. That's just weird.

Of course, having youth football at all in the age of CTE is a whole new debate. :problem:

There's this link from the EHYFC article:
Rep. Mark Pless' reelection campaign raffle for guns raises eyebrows, concern for some

HAYWOOD COUNTY, N.C. (WLOS) — A conservative mountain representative's fundraising optics have stirred up controversy.

On Thursday, July 21, District 118 Republican Rep. Mark Pless posted to social media that he was offering up tickets for a gun raffle to help fund his campaign.
Even this gunhugger is a tad more circumspect than EHYFC:
... The fundraiser comes as the nation continues to recover from the nearly 360 mass shootings that have taken place in the United States just this year.

“There’s a reason there’s not an AR [15] in there,” explained Pless, as he described the guns up for raffle....
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:27 pm

“There’s a reason there’s not an AR [15] in there,” explained Pless, as he described the guns up for raffle....
[/quote]

Story's getting a little more traction.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:34 pm
Story's getting a little more traction.
ABC and Ron Filipkowski - wow. From MadCaw to this, Hooterville never makes national news for good things. One thing Ron MAY have gotten wrong is saying that the kids are selling the tickets. Your article:
The FN 15, which has an AR-style magazine, is up for grabs through raffle tickets sold by parents of the athletes.
Although, it wouldn't really surprise me if some kids are selling. I have not gotten a reply to my email. Funny that.
The addiction starts young.
I'm starting to lose hope in the future of the American experiment.
What a great time to be alive.
Great minds:
Well, what do you expect when the current congressperson for Hendersonville is Madison Cawthorn… the kid who gets caught in airports with guns and knives. 🤬
And oh yea …. They want to keep preaching ‘Don’t take your kids to a drag show or have them learn that slavery was bad’ 🤬🤬🤬
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

An American export?
17 dead, 24 wounded in school shooting in Russia

... Russia’s Investigative Committee identified the gunman as 34-year-old Artyom Kazantsev, a graduate of the same school, and said he was wearing a black t-shirt bearing “Nazi symbols.” No details about his motives have been released.

The government of Udmurtia said 17 people, including 11 children, were killed in the shooting. According to Russia's Investigative Committee, 24 other people, including 22 children, were wounded in the attack.

The governor of Udmurtia, Alexander Brechalov, said the gunman, who he said was registered as a patient at a psychiatric facility, killed himself after the attack....

Russia's National Guard said Kazantsev used two non-lethal handguns adapted to fire real bullets. The guns were not registered with the authorities....
:cry:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

GoCubsGo
Admiral