Mass Shootings

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Mass Shootings

Unread post by O Really »

The minutia that fills these people's minds is boggling.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 am
Nah, I have other wingnuts.....Bud Hulsey and Jon Lundberg. Here's the entire Hall of Shame. Read it and weep.

http://www.scelect.org/electedofficials.html

edit: yesterday I was flipping through the channels on tv and the state legislature was on PBS, a live stream.....a wingnut was trying to introduce a bill that would make it a felony for someone to vote in a party primary who was not "affiliated" with that party. One of the guys they expelled the other day then took the floor and began to ask the wingnut about why this law is needed and the wingnut hemmed and hawed and pretty much couldn't give any rational reason such a law is needed. That was all of it I could manage......then watched some kind of true crime murder/love story type thing.
You must be getting good coverage of local boy Campbell's disgrace. Hah!

They know that in RepuQ-dominated districts there are people like me that will crossover in order to get the best RepuQ nominated. This may have helped our former Rep Chuck McGrady (R) the first time he ran for the state house.
Or, they know that in purple districts there are some people like me that will crossover in order to get the worst RepuQ nominated so that the Dem wins in Nov.
Technically, I'm not crossing over since I'm unaffiliated, but they still don't want lefties or even independent moderates voting in their primaries. The RepuQ must not have wanted to admit the obvious, weird.
In states with closed primaries all I would have to do is change my registration a month (usually) before the election, but it does discourage some crossover voting.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Sure but the way to address that ummm "problem" is through the eligibility standards, not by making voting a felony when gaining "affiliation" would be easy anyway. Make it a closed primary and require earlier changes. Or just go to simpler method and just give the nomination to whichever clown in the car has the most Twitter followers.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:22 am
Sure but the way to address that ummm "problem" is through the eligibility standards, not by making voting a felony when gaining "affiliation" would be easy anyway. Make it a closed primary and require earlier changes. Or just go to simpler method and just give the nomination to whichever clown in the car has the most Twitter followers.
Correct. I kind of skipped over the felony part thinking it was just about eligibility :oops: . Making it a felony is very stupid, even by TN Leg standards. Many states have closed primaries and it works just fine.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:11 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 am
Nah, I have other wingnuts.....Bud Hulsey and Jon Lundberg. Here's the entire Hall of Shame. Read it and weep.

http://www.scelect.org/electedofficials.html

edit: yesterday I was flipping through the channels on tv and the state legislature was on PBS, a live stream.....a wingnut was trying to introduce a bill that would make it a felony for someone to vote in a party primary who was not "affiliated" with that party. One of the guys they expelled the other day then took the floor and began to ask the wingnut about why this law is needed and the wingnut hemmed and hawed and pretty much couldn't give any rational reason such a law is needed. That was all of it I could manage......then watched some kind of true crime murder/love story type thing.
You must be getting good coverage of local boy Campbell's disgrace. Hah!

They know that in RepuQ-dominated districts there are people like me that will crossover in order to get the best RepuQ nominated. This may have helped our former Rep Chuck McGrady (R) the first time he ran for the state house.
Or, they know that in purple districts there are some people like me that will crossover in order to get the worst RepuQ nominated so that the Dem wins in Nov.
Technically, I'm not crossing over since I'm unaffiliated, but they still don't want lefties or even independent moderates voting in their primaries. The RepuQ must not have wanted to admit the obvious, weird.
In states with closed primaries all I would have to do is change my registration a month (usually) before the election, but it does discourage some crossover voting.
I hardly ever watch local news. It's run by Sinclair and is mostly crime stories or some story about a new development of something somewhere around here. The whole place is fucked up. I don't even know why I'm here.

What I suspect is that this dumbass TN legislator has seen or read something (nine months late) about how Democrats did this sort of thing by either voting for wingnuts in GQP primaries or else donating to their campaigns. I think he just wants to arrest Democrats on felony charges. Fuck this place.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Texas, again.
Man kills 5 in Texas after family complained about gunfire

A man went next door with a rifle and began shooting his neighbors, killing an 8-year-old and four others inside a house near Houston, after the family asked him to stop firing rounds in his yard because they were trying to sleep, authorities said Saturday.

San Jacinto County Sheriff Greg Capers said authorities were still searching for 38-year-old Francisco Oropeza following the shooting in the town of Cleveland, about 45 miles (72 kilometers) north of Houston. He said Oropeza used an AR-style rifle in the attack, which happened shortly before midnight Friday.

“All of his rounds were from the neck up, so basically in the head,” Capers told The Associated Press.

The attack was the latest act of gun violence in what has been a record pace of mass shootings in the U.S. so far this year, some of which have also involved semiautomatic rifles....

Capers said ... two of the victims, all believed to be from Honduras, were found laying over two children in a bedroom.

... Capers said three other “blood-covered” children were found in the home and taken to a hospital, where they were determined to be uninjured.

“The Honduran ladies that were laying over these children were doing it in such an effort as to protect the child,” Capers said.

The confrontation followed family members walking up to the fence and asking the suspect to stop shooting rounds, Capers said. The suspect responded by telling them that it was his property ...

Three of the victims were women and one was a man....

Texas has confronted multiple mass shootings in recent years, including last year's attack at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde; a racist attack at an El Paso Walmart in 2019; and a gunman opening fire at a church in the tiny town of Sutherland Springs in 2017.

Republican leaders in Texas have rejected calls for new firearm restrictions, including this year over the protests of several families who children were killed in Uvalde.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :angry-cussing:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

5 slain teens total :cry: :

Woman IDs 4 of 7 Oklahoma bodies as daughter, grandchildren

Henryetta, Oklahoma, population 5,640.
4 fatally shot in California in latest US mass killing

... It is the 19th mass killing of 2023, the most through the end of April of any year since at least 2006 ... A mass killing is defined as the slaying of four or more people other than the assailant.

This year has set a record pace with roughly one a week....
Mojave, California, population 3,600.
Semantics:
"A mass killing is defined as the slaying of four or more people other than the assailant."
"Mass shooting" is 4 or more injured or dead including the shooter.

2023 tally:
Mass killings: 19
Mass shootings: 185
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Please don't brand me racist, it really doesn't stand up.
Image means a lot and carrying guns means a lot in many of our college sports programs. It's time for the ncaa and if not them, then individual schools, but there need to be no guns on campus rules to play sports.
It would go a long way.
As would not popularizing your player involved in a murder.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:59 pm
Texas, again.

Man kills 5 in Texas after family complained about gunfire

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :angry-cussing:
Gunhappy Texas, again. Allen, suburb of Dallas, 9 dead including shooter, 7 injured, 3 of them critical.
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/fatal ... s/3252317/

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :angry-cussing:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Wow.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Asshole.

There's one bad tweet.

Allen, Texas
2016: Dolt .45 > Hillary by 14%
2020: Biden > Dolt .45 by <1%
All state and federal representation is RepuQ. :roll:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen,_Texas#Politics

Why do you and Ron Filipkowski hate god?
Texas Republican Deflects To Store 'Trashing,' Need For God After Mall Shooting
Rep. Keith Self (R-Texas) criticized claims that "prayers aren't cutting it" following a deadly Dallas-area outlet mall shooting on Saturday.

Self, whose congressional district includes the site of the deadly shooting in Allen, Texas, told CNN’s Paula Reid that he’s “of course” concerned about the rise of such instances of gun violence before looking to other matters of “violence.” ...

:roll: :obscene-birdiered:
The outlet mall shooting added to the list of nearly 200 mass shootings across the U.S. this year, as of Saturday, according to Gun Violence Archive. There have been 14,600 deaths related to gun violence in America this year, the site noted....

:puke-left:
... Twitter users slammed the GOP lawmaker over his interview and asked whether God is now responsible for deaths due to gun violence.
Rep. Keith Self: God wills that this slaughter continue.
Rachel Vindman 🌻
@natsechobbyist
(wife of Alexander, lt col, ret, whistleblower)

This is infuriating. Then why wear seatbelts or take blood pressure medicine or safe drinking water? Let's just rely on the almighty to control our lives as they see fit.
I’m not sure praying harder will cut it but it’s certainly more effective than sensible gun control
The instinct for Republicans to pivot to cities despite data and present circumstances is another component of our racialized politics…as ugly of a truth that is.
Republicans are beyond being out of touch. Republicans are enemy of America.
If prayers and thoughts really worked, there'd be no sickness, deaths, poverty, inequality, racism, misogyny, and no gun violence. Address the ral problem!
These kinds of people shouldn't be allowed in govt. in a position to make decisions that affect our lives. Vote for representatives who have some sense. Do they really think God condones guns & violence? Guess so, they won't admit guns have any culpability in these shootings.

These are the kind of wacko people that keep getting voted into positions of responsibility.

How long are we going to put up with this?
Fools like this, who are owned by the NRA, are the reason nothing ever changes. They care more about protecting the gun makers than protecting their constituents.
What would Batman do? Jesus obviously isn't listening to any of these thoughts and prayers. Time for a new imaginary friend...
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

They always say "let's not make this political" but it's 100% a political issue when politicians are the ones that make the laws and regulations that could potentially prevent some of these things.

If I had family that was killed in one of these shootings and politician offered prayers it would take enormous self restraint not to take a swing at them.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:30 pm
They always say "let's not make this political" but it's 100% a political issue when politicians are the ones that make the laws and regulations that could potentially prevent some of these things.

If I had family that was killed in one of these shootings and politician offered prayers it would take enormous self restraint not to take a swing at them.
CNN's Reid tried to nail Rep Self on that very point. He just kept deflecting. FTA above, a tweet I didn't re-post:

:angry-banghead:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Gun violence is I think the only topic on which politicians are willing to do nothing and use the excuse there's nothing we can do. Consider: somebody gets rowdy on an airplane and there's a new law authorizing the flight attendants to tie them down. Somebody wants to teach kids about the effects of slavery and there's new laws muzzling them. Somebody falls into a poop pit in Nebraska and there's new laws requiring taller fences and warning lights nationwide. 14K people die in gun incidents in 4 months and there's crickets.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:52 pm
Gun violence is I think the only topic on which politicians are willing to do nothing and use the excuse there's nothing we can do. Consider: somebody gets rowdy on an airplane and there's a new law authorizing the flight attendants to tie them down. Somebody wants to teach kids about the effects of slavery and there's new laws muzzling them. Somebody falls into a poop pit in Nebraska and there's new laws requiring taller fences and warning lights nationwide. 14K people die in gun incidents in 4 months and there's crickets.
Spot on. Can you imagine:

US Consulate overrun in Libya.
We don't want to make this political. Thoughts and prayers.

Migrant surge at southern border.

Suicide bomber kills 13 GIs in Afghanistan.

Completely voluntary Drag Queen Reading Hour.

"Happy Holidays."
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/allen- ... index.html
... Source: Authorities investigating Texas mall shooter's possible extremist motivations

Authorities in Texas are investigating whether the Allen, Texas, outlet mall shooter (Mauricio Garcia) was motivated by right-wing extremism, a senior law enforcement source familiar with the investigation tells CNN.

While the investigation remains ongoing and authorities have not zeroed in on a specific motive, the source said the deceased shooter was found with an insignia on his clothing that read "RWDS," which authorities believe may stand for "Right Wing Death Squad."

As the Southern Poverty Law Center, an organization that monitors and reports on extremism, has noted in the past, some members of extremist groups have been seen in recent years with patches bearing the same letters.

Investigators have also uncovered the gunman's extensive social media presence, the law enforcement source tells CNN. It includes neo-Nazi and White supremacist-related posts, and images that authorities believe he shared online, according to the official.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Graphic video of dead Allen, Texas mall shooter. Apparently, Rumble is not as restrained as Twitter and, I assume, YouTube.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Just as I thought.....god wants you to die.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 9:16 am
Just as I thought.....god wants you to die.
S/he wants some people to die more than others.
Three children among victims of Allen mall shooting in Texas

A three-year-old boy and his parents, two elementary school children and a young engineer from India have been named as victims of a shooting attack in Texas on Saturday.

James Cho died alongside his parents Cho Kyu Song, 37, and Kang Shin Young, 35, according to reports. His six-year-old brother was injured but survived.

The identifications comes as officials probe whether the killer had links to any far-right organisations or beliefs....

Korean consulate officials in Texas told the Dallas Morning News newspaper that the Cho family were American citizens of Korean descent and that diplomats are in contact with their family members.

Primary school pupils Daniela and Sofia Mendoza, who were sisters, were also killed. Their mother, Ida, remains in hospital in critical condition, according to CBS News, the BBC's US partner.
What kind of fucked up ideology gives license to shoot kids? :angry-cussing:
Aishwarya Thatikonda, a 27-year-old engineer from India, was also killed during a visit to the mall with a friend, as well as security guard Christian LaCour, 20.

Six people were pronounced dead at the scene in the north Dallas suburbs, while two died later in hospital.
The security guard may have been targeted as a threat to intervene. Otherwise, 5 Asian and 3 Latino surname people shot. The full tally may reveal a different racial mix.
... An account run by the suspect on a Russia-based social network seen by BBC News includes pictures of Nazi swastikas and SS tattoos, other posts glorifying Nazis, and rambling messages about violence.

He also posted pictures from previous visits to the outlet mall, as recently as mid-April.
A terrorist who cased his target and knew what kind of shoppers he would find there.
... Meanwhile, graphic videos from the scene spread rapidly and were viewed millions of times on Twitter before the social media site began taking the footage down more than 24 hours after the attack.
As I predicted. I'm not saying people should view these videos, but if they choose to do it immediately. Later, they get much more difficult to track down.
... The Republican governor of Texas, Gregg Abbott, told Fox News Sunday his aim was to target the possession of weapons by criminals and deal with a rising mental health crisis, rather than consider wider bans.

"People want a quick solution," he said. "The long term solution here is to address the mental health issue."
I agree, RWers are mentally ill. Now, about the decades of RepuQs slashing mental health funding?
Allen is a racially diverse suburb north of Dallas and has an infamous connection with another recent mass shooting.

A man who lived there in 2019 went on a gun rampage at a Walmart in El Paso, killing 23 people, after posting a racist manifesto online. In February he pleaded guilty to hate crime charges.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Twitter Criticized for Allowing Texas Shooting Images to Spread

... Like other social media companies, Twitter has once again found itself in a position akin to that of traditional newspaper editors, who wrestle with difficult decisions about how much to show their audiences. Though newspapers and magazines generally spare their readers from truly graphic images, they have made some exceptions, as Jet magazine did in 1955 when it published open-casket images of Emmett Till, a 14-year-old Black boy who was beaten to death in Mississippi, to illustrate the horrors of the Jim Crow-era South....

Graphic content was never completely banned by Twitter, even before Musk took over. The platform, for instance, has allowed images of people killed or wounded in the war in Ukraine, arguing that they are newsworthy and informative. The company sometimes places warning labels or pop-ups on sensitive content, requiring that users opt in to see the imagery.

While many users clearly spread the images of the massacre, including of the dead attacker, for shock value, others retweeted them to underscore the horrors of gun violence. “The N.R.A.’s America,” one tweet read. “This isn’t going away,” said another.

Claire Wardle, the co-founder of the Information Futures Lab at Brown University, said in an interview that tech companies must balance their desire to protect their users with the responsibility to preserve newsworthy or otherwise important images — even those that are uncomfortable to look at. She cited as precedent the decision to publish a Vietnam War image of Kim Phuc Phan Thi, who became known as “Napalm Girl” after a photo of her suffering following a napalm strike circulated around the world....

YAHOO POLL
Should Twitter limit the spread of pictures of mass shooting victims?

Yes 47%
No 45%
Unsure 8%
What do y'all think?
Will graphic imagery help put the brakes on our escalating racial and gun violence? Gun control is a pipe dream and nothing else seems to be working.
Does it make a difference if some creeps get a thrill out of it?
Was I wrong for sharing video of the dead Allen, TX shooter? The victims' images were already hard to find.
Was I wrong for sharing video of the Brownsville, TX car crash and outcome?
Was Twitter wrong for allowing this imagery to be temporarily available?
1312. ETTD.