Mass Shootings

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Mass Shootings

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Don't know how we've avoided a direct thread on this topic.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Mass Shootings

And here we go.....

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:50 pm
And here we go.....

:wtf: :crazy:
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:07 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:50 pm
And here we go.....

:wtf: :crazy:
Someone should've let him know the TP shortage is over.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:05 pm
Someone should've let him know the TP shortage is over.
:D I was thinking that maskless, non-social distancing Publix shoppers must really bug him, nttawwt. SYG.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Boulder shooting suspect's gun looked like a rifle. But it's a pistol. Experts worry it's helping people skirt gun laws

Six days before opening fire in a Colorado grocery store and killing 10 people, a 21-year-old suspect in the massacre bought a Ruger AR-556 pistol - a weapon with a controversial history in the national debate over gun regulation.

The Ruger looks like a rifle, operates like one, and even takes the same ammunition as the infamous AR-15 that has been used in many U.S. mass killings. But the Ruger is not a rifle - at least, not under current gun laws.

Billed as Ruger's alternative to the AR-15 rifle, the pistol is smaller and more maneuverable than a rifle. It also isn't bound by the strict regulations that a rifle of its size would, an issue that's cast light on the nation's gun laws and led to calls for change.

"If you cut off the back end of the AR-15 and you shorten up the muzzle – the front part where the bullet comes out – it’s the same thing," said Christopher Herrmann, a former New York City police officer and an assistant professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. "You’ve taken this deadly AR-15 weapon and now you’ve made it concealable."

Like the AR-15, the gun is semiautomatic. It's a portable "weapon of mass destruction," Herrmann said — "all the comforts of a limousine but in a smaller car."

For the Colorado shooting suspect, the Ruger AR-556 pistol had another benefit: It made purchasing the weapon quick and easy. A rifle of its same size would have been subject to multiple layers of added scrutiny, including a background check that would have required several forms of ID and even fingerprinting. The suspect would have had to pay additional taxes and potentially wait months before the gun was registered.

But the Colorado suspect didn't have to wade through the added red tape for the Ruger, since it is a pistol....

Typically, the Ruger AR-556 pistols have a capacity of 30 rounds, similar to that of rifles. This offers the potential to carry more bullets than most glocks or smaller pistols that typically can carry about 10 to 15 bullets, though Colorado law doesn't allow magazines with more than 15 rounds....
Ick.
Last edited by Vrede too on Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Yeah, Ruger makes an AR556 pistol and rifle.

The main difference is barrel length but both are designed for shoulder firing and killing people.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:40 pm
Yeah, Ruger makes an AR556 pistol and rifle.

The main difference is barrel length but both are designed for shoulder firing and killing people.
FTA:
The pistols mirror an AR-15 in most ways but has a shorter barrel, models range from 9.5 to 10.5 inches in length, and is made to be operated with one hand. To compare, Ruger's AR-556 rifle has a barrel about a half-foot longer at 16.1 inches.

The pistols come with an adjustable stabilizing brace, an accessory that straps around one's arm to help fire a weapon one-handed. Ruger says the brace helps "to aid in accuracy, balance and recoil management."

The brace essentially replaces a buttstock, which sits at the end of most long guns, like rifles, to help absorb recoil.

Why is the Ruger AR-556 a pistol and not a rifle? Does it matter? ...
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

By next month I'll be able to wear any and all guns I choose in a concealed or open condition. I plan on decorating my flame thrower with garlands of flowers and pictures of praying hands. I think it's a nice touch.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:32 pm
By next month I'll be able to wear any and all guns I choose in a concealed or open condition. I plan on decorating my flame thrower with garlands of flowers and pictures of praying hands. I think it's a nice touch.
It will be a good look for you. Reminds me of Manila:

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:43 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:32 pm
It will be a good look for you. Reminds me of Manila:

I've got an urge to also wear those ammo belts that hold shogun shells. I'm assuming that's also authorized. You know, like in the movies when they wear two of them that crisscross your chest, back holster for the shotgun, all that.......but never mind that. I never rode in a jeepney in PI but did ride many little motorbikes with an attached sidecar. I once bought a yellow with red half sleeves "Metro Manila Aide" t shirt right off a Metro Manila Aide's back. Gave him 20 pesos....probably a day's pay, back then 20p was less than three dollars. I loved that shirt.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Suspect found in South Carolina killings of 2 kids, 3 adults

About 2 hours from me, 1' 40" from Whack9.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Thursday midday, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott:

About 2 hours later:
Larry Bollin Accused of Bryan, Texas, Mass Shooting at Cabinet Company

Larry Bollin

Larry Bollin is accused of being the mass shooter who opened fire in Bryan, Texas, at a business named Kent Moore Cabinets.

That’s according to a statement from police. He is being held on $1 milliom bond and is 27 years old. He was arrested in Grimes County. The Associated Press gave his full name as Larry Winston Bollin, 27, of Iola, Texas, and reported that he was an employee at the company.

According to KBTX-TV, police confirmed that multiple people were shot during the April 8, 2021, incident. It was later revealed that Bollin is accused of killing one person and injuring six other people.

Among the injured: A Texas state trooper....
At least 4 of the injured are critical. It's almost like Abbott dared him.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Perfect.

The nutjobs won't care though.

Thoughts and prayers.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:16 am
Perfect.

The nutjobs won't care though.

Thoughts and prayers.
Yeah, typical right wing bullshit. Never mind the fact that nobody, ever, has suggested "taking your guns away" but it sounds good and riles up the ignorant morons the GOP now has to depend on. Same thing with "right to work" laws they squawk about....it sounds good but is specifically designed to discourage organized labor. Same thing with the "death tax" that they present as something everybody is victimized by, but it only applies to estates with value over about 5 million dollars. The GOP has mastered the art of convincing voters to vote against their own interests. trump came right out and said it; "I love the poorly educated." And that's why they love him.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

"employment at will" = "fire at will"

Americans, or at least American politicians, behave like an abused spouse who always looks at a black eye as just one incident, and accepts the explanation, or sometimes even blames herself for "making" him mad. She forgets the entire pattern/history, hopes beyond reason it won't happen again, and offers excuses. Hell, the repuQ's not only refuse to see the bigger picture, they don't allow accumulation of data. Back to the abused spouse analogy, neither the doctors or the police can review records of previous events. It's not going to get better in any of our lifetimes.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:20 pm
"employment at will" = "fire at will"

Americans, or at least American politicians, behave like an abused spouse who always looks at a black eye as just one incident, and accepts the explanation, or sometimes even blames herself for "making" him mad. She forgets the entire pattern/history, hopes beyond reason it won't happen again, and offers excuses. Hell, the repuQ's not only refuse to see the bigger picture, they don't allow accumulation of data. Back to the abused spouse analogy, neither the doctors or the police can review records of previous events. It's not going to get better in any of our lifetimes.
Hereabouts and right now there is a nutjob in the TN state legislature that wants to add an amendment to the state constitution to designate TN as a "right to work" state. This is how they do it. Confuse the terminally confused and pretend to be their only hope. Meanwhile, gullible workers will be convinced that organizing or belonging to a labor union somehow has something to do with China. And they accept it all without question.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

The amendment faced some pushback from Democrats on the committee, including Memphis Democrat Sen. Sara Kyle.

“Right-to-work is a false slogan,” Kyle said. “The true effect of this legislation is to destroy the freedom and power of collective bargaining. Collective bargaining has lifted millions of workers out of poverty and provided families with health care and dignity in retirement. That gives big corporations the upper hand."

Kelsey’s right-to-work amendment passed the Tennessee Legislature for the first time last year. By law, any amendment to the state constitution must be approved twice by the Legislature; once by simple majority and again by two-thirds majority after an election. If approved by the General Assembly, the right-to-work amendment would go on the ballot for voter approval during the 2022 gubernatorial election.
https://www.thecentersquare.com/tenness ... 90937.html