Mass Shootings

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Whack9
Commander

Re: Mass Shootings

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:09 am
Whack9 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:30 am
America doesn't care if your five year old is splattered across his or her kindergarten classroom. Yeah, that's a morbid way to put it, but that's what's happening. Put it in their faces and make them see it for themselves. Anti abortion protestors often hold signs with images of dead fetuses. Make the public see the uncomfortable, ugly, fucked up truth. No more out of sight, out of mind.
You think we need an Emmett Till moment?

Disturbing pic

Could be. Would the MSM, ISP and/or social media censors go along with it? Notably, lynchings did seem to slow after the 1955 Till murder, but they did not stop entirely.

There's a National Lynching Memorial in Montgomery, Alabama. billy.pilgrim has been to it. There's the Sandy Hook Memorial and probably other local memorials, but maybe we need a National School Shootings Memorial. I propose Uvalde, Texas. It'll do the most good in a gunhappy state.

Did you see this? Armed 4th grader at Cherrydale Elementary School (302 Perry Road) in Greenville:
viewtopic.php?p=182420#p182420
I heard about that one.

Guns don't jump up and kill people on their own, they need an operator with ill intent. So some argue it's a mental health crisis. This is also so, but many guns serve no other utility than being a tool for killing. I'd also argue that part of that "mental health crisis" is the weird gun fetishism that likely wasn't around, or at least not as extreme, in the past when guns were seen more as a tool for hunting and varmint control vs a status symbol of sorts tightly interwoven with very core of ones indentity. Hence the weird ass AR-15 pins some lawmakers have been seen wearing.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

One principle of home defense/security is don't leave anything around they could use to break in or kill yourself with. You don't have to get rid of your axe, just don't make it available to the bad guys. What we're doing with guns is leaving an open invitation to anyone wanting to do harm - whether that harm is done in a planned, pre-meditated manner or in the heat of an angry moment.

Not that it really matters - Whack9 is right. The country as a whole doesn't care about your 5-year old.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:07 am
I heard about that one.

Guns don't jump up and kill people on their own, they need an operator with ill intent. So some argue it's a mental health crisis. This is also so, but many guns serve no other utility than being a tool for killing. I'd also argue that part of that "mental health crisis" is the weird gun fetishism that likely wasn't around, or at least not as extreme, in the past when guns were seen more as a tool for hunting and varmint control vs a status symbol of sorts tightly interwoven with very core of ones identity. Hence the weird ass AR-15 pins some lawmakers have been seen wearing.
Hundreds of millions of people around the world are mentally ill. The American exception is that we choose to heavily arm ours. Then, for the most part ammosexual legislators are the same ones that have slashed mental health funding. Discussion of the "mental health crisis" is most often deflection from reasonable gun control, not actual intent to do anything about mental illness.
Everytown for Gun Safety: Contact

Hi folks,

A friend suggested that we need an Emmett Till moment for school shootings.
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Ti ... d_reaction
Disturbing pic: https://i.pinimg.com/564x/37/33/80/3733 ... b864a3.jpg
I don't know if a parent will ever want to do this, but it's something to think about. Notably, lynchings did seem to slow after the 1955 Till murder, but they did not stop entirely.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... ted_States

There's a National Lynching Memorial in Montgomery, Alabama.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... nd_Justice
There's the Sandy Hook Memorial, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Hook_Memorial , and probably other local memorials, but maybe we need a National School Shootings Memorial. I propose Uvalde, Texas. It'll do the most good in a gunhappy state. I don't have the resources to make this happen, but maybe y'all want to consider it.

Thanks for your good works!

(Vrede too), RN
Hendersonville, NC
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:04 pm

Hundreds of millions of people around the world are mentally ill. The American exception is that we choose to heavily arm ours.
Well said. But while everybody has some mental/emotional baggage of some sort, relatively few have a diagnosable condition that could be traced directly to a propensity for shooting people. Lots of people have anger issues but don't actually do major harm to people. Lots of people have depression and yet somehow don't shoot themselves or others. Criminals aren't always (maybe not even usually) suffering from mental illness. Neighbors/couples/friends getting into an argument don't usually have a mental illness. But they do often have easy access to a gun nearby.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:07 am
I heard about that one.

Guns don't jump up and kill people on their own, they need an operator with ill intent. So some argue it's a mental health crisis. This is also so, but many guns serve no other utility than being a tool for killing. I'd also argue that part of that "mental health crisis" is the weird gun fetishism that likely wasn't around, or at least not as extreme, in the past when guns were seen more as a tool for hunting and varmint control vs a status symbol of sorts tightly interwoven with very core of ones identity. Hence the weird ass AR-15 pins some lawmakers have been seen wearing.
Hundreds of millions of people around the world are mentally ill. The American exception is that we choose to heavily arm ours. Then, for the most part ammosexual legislators are the same ones that have slashed mental health funding. Discussion of the "mental health crisis" is most often deflection from reasonable gun control, not actual intent to do anything about mental illness.
Everytown for Gun Safety: Contact

Hi folks,

A friend suggested that we need an Emmett Till moment for school shootings.
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Ti ... d_reaction
Disturbing pic: https://i.pinimg.com/564x/37/33/80/3733 ... b864a3.jpg
I don't know if a parent will ever want to do this, but it's something to think about. Notably, lynchings did seem to slow after the 1955 Till murder, but they did not stop entirely.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... ted_States

There's a National Lynching Memorial in Montgomery, Alabama.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... nd_Justice
There's the Sandy Hook Memorial, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Hook_Memorial , and probably other local memorials, but maybe we need a National School Shootings Memorial. I propose Uvalde, Texas. It'll do the most good in a gunhappy state. I don't have the resources to make this happen, but maybe y'all want to consider it.

Thanks for your good works!

(Vrede too), RN
Hendersonville, NC
Stole your comment, thx.

https://libertynewsforum.boards.net/thr ... lTo=274825
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:38 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Hundreds of millions of people around the world are mentally ill. The American exception is that we choose to heavily arm ours.
Well said. But while everybody has some mental/emotional baggage of some sort, relatively few have a diagnosable condition that could be traced directly to a propensity for shooting people. Lots of people have anger issues but don't actually do major harm to people. Lots of people have depression and yet somehow don't shoot themselves or others. Criminals aren't always (maybe not even usually) suffering from mental illness. Neighbors/couples/friends getting into an argument don't usually have a mental illness. But they do often have easy access to a gun nearby.
:thumbup:

Our "Just the Facts & Not the Alternative Facts" forum:

Gun violence due to mental illness?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:29 pm
Stole your comment, thx.

https://libertynewsforum.boards.net/thr ... lTo=274825
:thumbup:

I've added a couple of topics to our "Just the Facts & Not the Alternative Facts" forum in case you and Fiddler want some data:

Armed teachers and school security

Gun-free zones, School shootings

I know, I know, hard facts are anathema to ammosexual wingnuts. However, sometimes it can be fun to watch them squirm, deflect, offer delusions and run shrieking away.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Damn. Used to vacation there a lot. Latest is six shot.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Friday.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Monday

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:(
Krassensteins' Democratic Informer - Fighting Hate & Lies
(LIVE) Louisville Mass Shooting - Updated Every 10 minutes

This article will be updated every 10 minutes as new details emerge:

Update: 10:34 AM ET: 6 dead (this includes the shooter). 6 injured, including Louisville police officer. Reports indicate that this was NOT a bank robbery.

Update: 10:27 AM ET: 5 dead and 6 transported to the hospital in Louisville KY, according to early reports.

Update: 10:20 AM ET: Louisville Police have stated that the threat is neutralized.

“There is no longer an active aggressor threat. The suspected shooter has been neutralized.”
Twitter:
Republicans seen running to the scene demanding the condition of the AR-15 and if it was ok or needed more ammo.
Just another day in America. Nothing will change. And it will happen again tomorrow.
Because praying always works…. Gun control is the answer.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Man, I was getting worried no one was thinking and praying, especially Kentucky Senators.

Guess it's all good now.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:03 pm
Man, I was getting worried no one was thinking and praying, especially Kentucky Senators.

Guess it's all good now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RonFilipkows ... 1271161856

I know that I am comforted. It's not like Kentucky senators have the ability to do anything other than pray . . . oh wait.
Update: 11:36 AM ET: Police had been warned that a 25-year-old white male had texted a friend saying he was going “to kill everyone at the bank”.
I haven't yet followed anything other than Krassenstein but it sounds like it will be an aggrieved former employee thing.

Comment under a 3 hour old article:
I have my ‘thoughts and prayers’ machine on 24/7 since this happens in this country constantly yet so far no results. Any other suggestions?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:14 pm
... I haven't yet followed anything other than Krassenstein but it sounds like it will be an aggrieved former employee thing....
Current employee.

Connor Sturgeon, Louisville Shooting Suspect: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

23 years old
"The four slain victims all worked at Old National Bank along with the shooter"
... Officer Nick Wilt is 26 and graduated from the police academy in March 2023. Wilt was shot in the head and underwent brain surgery. He is in critical, but stable condition....
A one month career. :(
Three of the injured victims, including Wilt, are in critical condition at the University of Louisville Hospital, the interim chief said at the press conference. Three others are in non-critical condition and three were treated and released, she said.

... called a friend and left a voicemail saying he was going to “kill everyone at the bank” because he was feeling suicidal.
"Master’s in Finance from the University of Alabama"
"used an 'AR-15-style rifle.'”
"4. Sturgeon Went to Floyd Central High School in Indiana, Where His Father Was the School’s Basketball Coach"
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:14 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:03 pm

Guess it's all good now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RonFilipkows ... 1271161856

I know that I am comforted. It's not like Kentucky senators have the ability to do anything other than pray . . . oh wait.
Update: 11:36 AM ET: Police had been warned that a 25-year-old white male had texted a friend saying he was going “to kill everyone at the bank”.
I haven't yet followed anything other than Krassenstein but it sounds like it will be an aggrieved former employee thing.

Comment under a 3 hour old article:
I have my ‘thoughts and prayers’ machine on 24/7 since this happens in this country constantly yet so far no results. Any other suggestions?
Well, I could pray that Kelley doesn't get her ass stomped by her neighbor like her frizzy mean hair fairy husband did and I could pray that Elaine doesn't fall down and crack her skull like her turtle impersonating husband did. Yeah, I could do that.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

You go, Tennessee!
‘Whose house? Our house!’: Justin Jones calls for House Speaker to resign, after gaining is seat back

Just outside the Historic Metro Courthouse, Justin Jones (D—Nashville) addressed hundreds, as the crowd chanted, “Whose house? Our house!”

Inside the courthouse, Nashville’s leaders fought back.

“We witnessed a miscarriage of justice and an egregious assault on our democracy which resulted in over 70,000 Davidson County voters, our voters, being silenced when our representative was expelled,” said Councilwoman Delishia Porterfield.

Porterfield, who was Jones’ former political opponent, helped to send him back to the statehouse by nominating him for his old seat.
Classy.
... “That voice was taken away this past week, so let’s give them their voice back, and I call on this body to vote unanimously right now to do just that,” said Mayor John Cooper ahead of the Metro Council vote....

The unanimous vote from Metro Council was met with cheers, as Porterfield and Jones hugged.

From the courthouse to the steps of the Capitol, hundreds walked alongside Jones. Chants and cheering could be heard every step of the way.
:thumbup: No Justin, No Peace!
... As he was sworn in on the steps of the Capitol, cheers erupted from the crowd. Going back inside the house, his supporters chanted him on.
:clap: The RepuQs made noises about refusing to seat them, but the people across the nation made them flinch.
“Speaking I want to welcome the people back to the people’s house,” said Jones. “I come here to stand with my constituents, with the people of Tennessee to say that no unjust attack on democracy will happen unchallenged, that the abuse of this body will not happen in the comfort of silence.”

A new call for action now, asking for Speaker Sexton to resign.

“His actions on Thursday, he thought would happen as all his other abuses of power, he thought that no one would pay attention that no one was watching that they had ultimate authority, but they forgot that the people would show up and were watching,” said Jones.

Jones, said Monday is confirmation that he’s “on the right path.”
:---P

‘Tennessee Three’: Shelby County calls meeting for vote on Justin Pearson

Wednesday, April 12, 2023 at 1:30PM

No Justin, No Peace!
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

A very few years back Shelby County held a big kkk rally
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A 6th person, a civilian, has died in Louisville. It's still dicey for the 10-day rookie cop. :(

'Very high quality' person. An 'incredible friend': Community mourns Louisville bank shooting victims
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:39 am
I think I know why:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_County,_Tennessee
... Its county seat is Memphis ... It is one of only two remaining counties in Tennessee with a majority African American population, along with Haywood County....
FU, KKK.
White (non-Hispanic) 34.07%
Black or African American (non-Hispanic) 51.1%
Asian 3.01%
Other/Mixed 3.27%
Hispanic or Latino 8.36%

2020: 33.98% GQP, 64.42% Dem
I think things look good for Justin Pearson tomorrow. Even a RepuQ on the Board, if there are any, might not dare oppose his appointment to his own seat.

The racist and ammosexual House GQP wanted to silence these two young Black men. Instead, the idiots gave them national voices.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This is chilling:
https://heavy.com/news/connor-sturgeon/
4. Sturgeon Went to Floyd Central High School in Indiana, Where His Father Was the School’s Basketball Coach

... (Louisville shooter Connor James) Sturgeon’s father retweeted a video of San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich talking about gun control the day before the shooting in Louisville. Todd Sturgeon retweeted a video clip from reporter Tom Orsborn with the caption, “Pop used final 10 minutes of his pre-game presser to slam ‘cowardly, oblivious legislators’ for their inaction on gun control in wake of the mass shootings that have plagued America. Their inaction, he said, has contributed to making the U.S. the ‘laughingstock’ of the world.”
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:15 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:39 am
I think I know why:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_County,_Tennessee
... Its county seat is Memphis ... It is one of only two remaining counties in Tennessee with a majority African American population, along with Haywood County....
FU, KKK.
White (non-Hispanic) 34.07%
Black or African American (non-Hispanic) 51.1%
Asian 3.01%
Other/Mixed 3.27%
Hispanic or Latino 8.36%

2020: 33.98% GQP, 64.42% Dem
I think things look good for Justin Pearson tomorrow. Even a RepuQ on the Board, if there are any, might not dare oppose his appointment to his own seat.

The racist and ammosexual House GQP wanted to silence these two young Black men. Instead, the idiots gave them national voices.
2nd expelled Tennessee Democrat returned to state legislature
Memphis legislator Justin Pearson was restored to his seat six days after Republicans booted him over a gun legislation protest.

... The Shelby County Board of Commissioners voted unanimously to appoint Justin Pearson to fill the seat he lost last Thursday after a supermajority of Republicans voted to boot him from office. The Memphis legislator, who was elected earlier this year, had joined with two colleagues and hundreds of students and parents calling for government action in the wake of the March 27 shooting at a Nashville elementary school that resulted in six deaths.

“The message for all the people in Nashville who decided to expel us: You can’t expel hope,” Pearson said following the vote. “You can’t expel justice. You can’t expel our voice. And you sure can’t expel our fight.”
No Justin, No Peace
Prior to the brief special meeting, Pearson marched with demonstrators who were supporting his reinstatement. Speaking in front of the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis before the march, Pearson said, “This is the democracy that they’re scared of. This is the democracy that they’re worried about because this is the democracy that changes the status quo.”

Two Democrats missed the meeting, with local reports saying they were out of the country, and all four of the board’s Republican members skipped it....
:wave: Nailed it. Cowards.
Commissioner Erika Sugarmon told FOX13 last week that the state’s Republican leaders had threatened to pull funding for projects in the city if they reappointed Pearson but added, “We've got to stand for something or fall for everything. And we've been bullied by the state for too long now."
Assholes.
Expelled Rep. Justin Pearson, D-Memphis, Rep. Gloria Johnson, D-Knoxville, and expelled Rep. Justin Jones, D-Nashville at the Fisk University campus on April 7, after a visit from Vice President Kamala Harris, who came to support the lawmakers who were expelled from the Tennessee State Legislature.

In a New York Times op-ed published Wednesday morning, Pearson wrote that, in the wake of the shooting, Republican legislators “averted their eyes and hurried into the chamber, walking through hundreds of mourning protesters to discuss a bill to further expand gun rights by allowing teachers to carry weapons on campus.”

“I wasn’t elected to be pushed to the back of the room and silenced,” Pearson continued. “We who were elected to represent all Tennesseans — Black, white, brown, immigrant, female, male, poor, young, transgender and queer — are routinely silenced when we try to speak on their behalf. Last week, the world was allowed to see it in broad daylight.”
TN House GQP and ammosexuals - Most shamed groups in America this month.
... The protests appear to have inspired some action on the gun issue by a GOP-controlled state government that was recently focused on passing restrictions on drag performances and gender-affirming care for transgender minors. Republican Gov. Bill Lee, who has previously downplayed the need for new gun safety legislation while making it legal for adults in Tennessee to carry a handgun without a permit, signed an executive order Tuesday in an attempt to strengthen background checks. He also called on the legislature to pass legislation that would help keep guns away from people who are a threat to themselves or others....

teal: States with anti-red flag laws
red: States with red flag laws
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_flag_law
“To anyone who has doubted the South, anyone who’s doubted the power of Tennesseans to advocate for an end to gun violence, anybody who’s doubted the movement to end assault weapons — anybody who’s doubted the movement, here’s your answer: The movement still lives,” Pearson said Monday on the steps of the Capitol, standing next to Jones.
Good on Tennessee! :clap:
1312. ETTD.