Media Thread (non Faux)

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Media Thread (non Faux)

Unread post by O Really »

Politicians (and others) need to refine their responses to questions, maybe taking lessons from Jen Psaki. "Which report was that?" or "Which construction site?" are better responses than "I don't know what you're talking about." Certainly better than some do, pretending to know about the issue when they don't. Reporters (even real ones) don't ask questions because they want to know the answer - they ask questions to elicit some response or sound byte they can paste on the politician's ass like a "kick me" sign. Politicians never answer questions, they just throw out a few linking words and go on with what they want to say.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Mehdi Hasan Marks Henry Kissinger’s 100th Birthday In The Most Withering Way
The MSNBC anchor highlighted the former secretary of state’s “support for brutal dictators, brutal regimes, brutal wars, and war crimes” in a blistering monologue.

... Hasan delivered a blistering monologue on the former secretary of state for presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford, saying he wanted to mark the diplomat’s landmark birthday this Saturday by talking about “some of the many, many people around the world who didn’t get to live till 100, or even 60, 70 or 80, because of Henry Kissinger, because of his support for brutal dictators, brutal regimes, brutal wars and war crimes.”

Hasan noted Kissinger’s prolonging of the Vietnam War, backing of the 1976 military coup in Argentina, support of Indonesia’s 1975 invasion of East Timor among other actions estimated to have cost up to 4 million civilian lives.

“I could go on and on and on, sadly,” Hasan lamented.

“So congratulations, Henry, pat yourself on the back for living such a long life, and as a free man too,” Hasan concluded. “It’s a shame so many millions of victims of your policies can’t say the same.”

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

In Henry's honorific portrait that will hang in the Hall of Shame, his hands will not be visible. Too much blood for one painting.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:59 am
In Henry's honorific portrait that will hang in the Hall of Shame, his hands will not be visible. Too much blood for one painting.
Exactly.

Newsmax Reports Drone Strike In Moscow With Images From Iowa Building Collapse
The far-right channel displayed tragic destruction in Iowa to update viewers on a mostly thwarted drone attack in Russia.

Newsmax was way off in its coverage of a drone strike in Moscow ― by about 5,000 miles. On Tuesday, the far-right channel displayed images of the apartment collapse in Davenport, Iowa, as host Greta Van Susteren told of the “disturbing” attack in the Russian capital. (Watch the video below.)

One clue for viewers that something might be amiss was the English “Tow Away Zone” sign in one of the photos, Mediaite noted....
:laughing-rolling:

The model of a downward career trajectory:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Van_Susteren
Georgetown University Law Center adjunct faculty member > CNN (about 8 years) > Faux Noise (14 years) > MSNBC (lasted only 6 months, a credit to the viewers) > Newsmax. What's worse than Newsmax?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I remember seeing Greta on CNN years ago. At the time she didn't seem to be a wingnut. I do remember that she seemed to always look like she was pissed off, though.....she had sort of an Elvis sneer that would periodically manifest while she spoke. Looks like she's gone over the high side now.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:02 am
I remember seeing Greta on CNN years ago. At the time she didn't seem to be a wingnut. I do remember that she seemed to always look like she was pissed off, though.....she had sort of an Elvis sneer that would periodically manifest while she spoke. Looks like she's gone over the high side now.
You could also be talking about Lou Dobbs.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:04 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Yeah, I remember him from CNN, too. He's really a full bore wingnut these days. I think that Wolf Blitzer guy who was also at CNN became sucked into the cult as well. I don't understand how allegedly intelligent people can go so haywire so fast.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:10 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Yeah, I remember him from CNN, too. He's really a full bore wingnut these days. I think that Wolf Blitzer guy who was also at CNN became sucked into the cult as well. I don't understand how allegedly intelligent people can go so haywire so fast.
I remember too that Lou got white teeth and greta had some kind of reconstructive surgery before they fit the fox profile.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:25 am
neoplacebo wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
I remember too that Lou got white teeth and greta had some kind of reconstructive surgery before they fit the fox profile.
I'v e seen clips of Lou from Faux but I can't remember ever seeing Greta on there. Hell, i didn't ven like seeing her on CNN. She always seemed to wear a facial expression as if she's about to shit but can't leave the studio...just grimace and read the news. I think I would enjoy seeing either Greta or Lou throw up on camera while interviewing trump.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:

Wolfie is annoying, but I don't think he's a wingnut.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
75 year old Wolf Blitzer is still at CNN, 33 years now!, though in a diminished role from his heyday. Agreeing with GoCubsGo, I don't think he's a cultist. Are you thinking of someone else?
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:37 am
I've seen clips of Lou from Faux but I can't remember ever seeing Greta on there. Hell, I didn't even like seeing her on CNN. She always seemed to wear a facial expression as if she's about to shit but can't leave the studio...just grimace and read the news. I think I would enjoy seeing either Greta or Lou throw up on camera while interviewing trump.
I was okay with Greta Van Susteren at CNN. Mostly legal analysis IIRC, and nowhere near as shrill and stupid as Nancy Grace. Then, she was at Faux Noise for 14 years (2002–2016). She went to the dark side, but was never as terrible as Tucker, Hannity and Dobbs - fewer nasty clips to spread among lefties.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:45 am
neoplacebo wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
75 year old Wolf Blitzer is still at CNN, 33 years now!, though in a diminished role from his heyday. Agreeing with GoCubsGo, I don't think he's a cultist. Are you thinking of someone else?
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:37 am
I've seen clips of Lou from Faux but I can't remember ever seeing Greta on there. Hell, I didn't even like seeing her on CNN. She always seemed to wear a facial expression as if she's about to shit but can't leave the studio...just grimace and read the news. I think I would enjoy seeing either Greta or Lou throw up on camera while interviewing trump.
I was okay with Greta Van Susteren at CNN. Mostly legal analysis IIRC, and nowhere near as shrill and stupid as Nancy Grace. Then, she was at Faux Noise for 14 years (2002–2016). She went to the dark side, but was never as terrible as Tucker, Hannity and Dobbs - fewer nasty clips to spread among lefties.
You guys are probably right; I must be confusing Wolf with someone else or just imagined him being something he's evidently not. I always liked seeing Christianne Amanpour on CNN. Don't know if she still works for them or not. I always thought of her as a very good reporter.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:49 am
You guys are probably right; I must be confusing Wolf with someone else or just imagined him being something he's evidently not. I always liked seeing Christianne Amanpour on CNN. Don't know if she still works for them or not. I always thought of her as a very good reporter.
Christiane Maria Heideh Amanpour CBE (/ˌkrɪstʃiˈɑːn ˌɑːmənˈpʊər/ (listen); Persian: کریستیان امان‌پور, romanized: Kristiane Amānpur; born 12 January 1958) is a British-Iranian journalist and television host. Amanpour is the Chief International Anchor for CNN and host of CNN International's nightly interview program Amanpour. She is also the host of Amanpour & Company (late weeknightly) on PBS.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I know this was discussed before, but the media loves using picture of John Bolton adjusting his glasses

I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I think that may be a Bolton tic of some sort. He does that a lot. It can't all be photo selection.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

O Really wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:29 pm
I think that may be a Bolton tic of some sort. He does that a lot. It can't all be photo selection.
That's a good point. Kind of like my tic which is a finger in my right nostril.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:43 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:29 pm
That's a good point. Kind of like my tic which is a finger in my right nostril.
Most people use thumb and index finger. Maybe it's his (perhaps unconscious) way of flipping off whoever he's conversing with. :twisted:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Politico is framed as leaning left, yet I'm repeatedly seeing rightwing bs.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/2 ... s-00103494

Headline says it has an explanation why red state has more abortions than blue state.

"Florida provided far more abortions than California and New York post-Dobbs. Here’s why."

Read on - red state has even redder neighbor states. All seems fair if you are used to falling for fox the read fast and don't question type bullshit necessary to blame tiny Alabama and much smaller Georgia for Florida’s increase.

Florida 12,500 abortions over the 2 month period
California 4300 over same period

California 39+ million

Florida 21+ million
Georgia 11- million
Alabama 5 million

So if every single person in Alabama and Georgia who had an abortion did so in Florida, there were only 1/3 of the abortions in California that there were in red state Florida.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:40 pm
Politico is framed as leaning left, yet I'm repeatedly seeing rightwing bs.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/2 ... s-00103494

Headline says it has an explanation why red state has more abortions than blue state.

"Florida provided far more abortions than California and New York post-Dobbs. Here’s why."

Read on - red state has even redder neighbor states. All seems fair if you are used to falling for fox the read fast and don't question type bullshit necessary to blame tiny Alabama and much smaller Georgia for Florida’s increase.

Florida 12,500 abortions over the 2 month period
California 4300 over same period

California 39+ million

Florida 21+ million
Georgia 11- million
Alabama 5 million

So if every single person in Alabama and Georgia who had an abortion did so in Florida, there were only 1/3 of the abortions in California that there were in red state Florida.
Probably has a little to do with the education level of the populaces too.