Team names & mascots

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Team names & mascots

Unread post by Vrede too »

Probably should have started this topic long ago. I think our discussions are scattered among several threads.

Here in NC:
Group calls for removal of ‘Red Raider’ mascot at Gaston County school
The image is of a Native American warrior with red skin. It’s been the mascot of South Point High School since 1947.

... “They’re inaccurate, they’re demeaning, they’re stereotypical,” rally organizer Hayley Brezeale said. “They really teach especially non-native students incorrect information about us. It makes us look very violent. Just the information itself is historically inaccurate.”
Petition: Retire South Point High School's "Red Raider" Mascot

Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Team names & mascots

Guardians baseball merchandise sale postponed months after lawsuit with roller derby team

Cleveland baseball fans will have to wait a little longer to get their hold on Guardians merchandise. Team merchandise was set to go on sale Monday, but the team postponed the event, according to Cleveland.com.

The team declined comment to Cleveland.com. In October, a Cleveland roller derby team named the "Guardians" sued the Cleveland baseball team over its new name. The Cleveland baseball team has not announced when Guardians merchandise will go on sale....

The roller derby team was allegedly willing to sell the name to the baseball team. The baseball team reportedly offered "just four figures" for the name in June, according to the roller derby team's attorney. The roller derby team turned it down....
"four figures"? :wtf: They'll lose more than that in delayed merchandise sales. Meanwhile, I'll bet that roller Guardians merchandise is selling out.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

"Red Raiders" keep the name, dump the logo. Without the logo, there's nothing to associate it with Indians. Actually, if it weren't for the logo I wouldn't have immediately thought it was an Indian thing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:29 pm
"Red Raiders" keep the name, dump the logo. Without the logo, there's nothing to associate it with Indians. Actually, if it weren't for the logo I wouldn't have immediately thought it was an Indian thing.
Same here on the name, but I'm not sure that the two can be disconnected at this point. Idk if either side is proposing to "keep the name, dump the logo."

Texas Tech's Red Raider:

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:13 pm

Same here on the name, but I'm not sure that the two can be disconnected at this point. Idk if either side is proposing to "keep the name, dump the logo."
And therein lies a big part of the problem with the de-indigenousing of sports teams. Just because a name could be associated with Indians, Eskimos, whatever, doesn't mean that it is. As your example, Texas Tech's Raider is a cowboy. Vegas' is a pirate. New York Raiders (rugby) is a skull with Viking horms. Racine Raiders (low league football) use a cowboy with an eye patch. Wright State has a husky-looking dog. And there's more. No Indians.
And I don't think there were Indians in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and Paul Revere would have had to change the band's name.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:53 pm
And therein lies a big part of the problem with the de-indigenousing of sports teams. Just because a name could be associated with Indians, Eskimos, whatever, doesn't mean that it is. As your example, Texas Tech's Raider is a cowboy. Vegas' is a pirate. New York Raiders (rugby) is a skull with Viking horms. Racine Raiders (low league football) use a cowboy with an eye patch. Wright State has a husky-looking dog. And there's more. No Indians.
And I don't think there were Indians in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and Paul Revere would have had to change the band's name.
Idk if that's a real problem. If the name had never been associated with Indians I don't think anyone would be complaining. Are people demanding that the other Raiders change their names?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:59 pm

Idk if that's a real problem. If the name had never been associated with Indians I don't think anyone would be complaining. Are people demanding that the other Raiders change their names?
I dunno about any others. But my point is that if the objectors really just wanted to end disrespect of Indians, then just dropping the logo would do it. To insist that the long-standing name goes too is just being bitchy. Say your team name was "Arrows" and your logo was a stylized Indian "Brave" flexing his bow. Change that Indian to Katniss and voila- no Indian reference.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:16 pm
I dunno about any others. But my point is that if the objectors really just wanted to end disrespect of Indians, then just dropping the logo would do it. To insist that the long-standing name goes too is just being bitchy. Say your team name was "Arrows" and your logo was a stylized Indian "Brave" flexing his bow. Change that Indian to Katniss and voila- no Indian reference.
I think you may be oversimplifying the ease of separating the name from its 74 year history, but it seems possible. Maybe suggest it to the involved parties? Got an idea for an alternate mascot? It might help your case. My very intimidating idea:

Mascot:

Logo:

Cheerleaders:

Children's marketing:

Nostalgia:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:07 am

I think you may be oversimplifying the ease of separating the name from its 74 year history, but it seems possible. Maybe suggest it to the involved parties? Got an idea for an alternate mascot? It might help your case.
The degree of my interest in what some high school calls their team pretty much ends with good natured discussion with someone such as the BRD bunch. But if I were an alumni of the school, I'd accept loss of the Indian much easier if the name, uniforms, colors, yada did not change.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:55 am
The degree of my interest in what some high school calls their team pretty much ends with good natured discussion with someone such as the BRD bunch. But if I were an alumni of the school, I'd accept loss of the Indian much easier if the name, uniforms, colors, yada did not change.
:D

"Red Raiders" could either be can-can commies:

Or, they could be overwrought anti-commies:

With a deft hand maybe the intent could be left vague, thus remaining inclusive.
1312. ETTD.

rjay181

Unread post by rjay181 »

dig the name, but yes maybe a different logo!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rjay181 wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:28 pm
dig the name, but yes maybe a different logo!
4 posts and gone, what's up with that?

How butthurt do you have to be to get in a fight after the mascot has been changed?

Enraged Parent Slugs School Board Member at Tense Meeting Over Native American Mascot

Sheesh, it's just high school sports teams. Oh well, if there was any doubt it's now certain that the non-Native American name will be retained. Smart parent. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:11 am
(post: :crybaby: whining)
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

I think you may be oversimplifying the ease of separating the name from its 74 year history, but it seems possible. Maybe suggest it to the involved parties? Got an idea for an alternate mascot? It might help your case.
Well, I know of a local high school that changed the name of their football team from "Indians" to some bird. Aside from the Indian paraphenalia, the colors remained much the same. I expect they also dropped the team yell, which began, "Give them the axe!". LOL.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:19 am
( :yawn: )
Poor baby has to reach back 5 months in order to find an excuse to post after me. How adorable!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Well, I know of a local high school that changed the name of their football team from "Indians" to some bird. Aside from the Indian paraphenalia, the colors remained much the same. I expect they also dropped the team yell, which began, "Give them the axe!". LOL.
Maybe they could have called the team the "Indian Vultures"

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:04 am
Ulysses wrote:
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Maybe they could have called the team the "Indian Vultures"
Not really.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Is it an alma mater if I was just born there? Natal mater?
George Washington University to drop 'Colonials' moniker

George Washington University is dropping its “Colonials” moniker because “it can no longer serve its purpose as a name that unifies,” the school announced Wednesday.

GW will keep using “Colonials” until a new name is introduced. That is expected by the 2023-24 academic year.

“A moniker must unify our community, draw people together and serve as a source of pride,” said Grace Speights, chair of the university’s Board of Trustees. “We look forward to the next steps in an inclusive process to identify a moniker that fulfills this aspiration.”

... According to an online statement from the university, a that committee determined that supporters of “Colonials” view it as referring to “those who lived in the American colonies, especially those who fought for independence and democracy,” while opponents see the term as referring to “colonizers who stole land and resources from indigenous groups, killed or exiled Native peoples and introduced slavery into the colonies.”
It didn't occur to me that it might be offensive, but I'm all for unifying :clap: . I'm still an oppressor by birthright, but no longer by birthplace. ;)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:11 pm

It didn't occur to me that it might be offensive, but I'm all for unifying :clap: . I'm still an oppressor by birthright, but no longer by birthplace. ;)
I don't think there's anything left that can't be offensive to somebody anymore.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:51 pm
I don't think there's anything left that can't be offensive to somebody anymore.
You're just mad because “Colonials” were British, not red, white and blue blooded AMERICANS. ;)

About that grizzly being a reminder of extinction by Europeans . . .

:ateeth: 100 years ago:
:cry:

:P Not sure about the maple leaf, but give me a day or two . . . ah nationalism, nationalism sucks!
1312. ETTD.