Ukraine

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Ukraine

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:00 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:56 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:45 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:16 pm
Even so, Ike was probably the best post-WW2 Repug POTUS. Nixon did a few progressive things, but wrecked his legacy over an election he was destined to win, regardless.

Ike was pretty much the backbone of everything we have wrong.
Industry over people
War at every turn
Destruction of democracies
All Ike had was a rhyming slogan for a name and a history using the slogan rather than admitting the harm he caused.
:) I set a low bar. Which post-WW2 Repug do you think was better than Ike?
Ford. And Nixon was probably better than Ike. Sure he prolonged a war, but it was like who started it.
:oops: I forgot about Ford. He's very forgettable. One can make a strong case for Nixon - China, EPA, Clean Air and Water Acts, etc - but he was such a detestable person and ego and paranoia-driven asshole that few will ever think positively of him.

Technically, Truman started the War when he reneged on FDR's promise of an independent Vietnam and allowed the French to re-colonize. Everything after that was the fruit of HST's poisoned tree, a Harry-Dick continuum. :o :wave:
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:23 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:00 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:56 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:45 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:16 pm
Even so, Ike was probably the best post-WW2 Repug POTUS. Nixon did a few progressive things, but wrecked his legacy over an election he was destined to win, regardless.

Ike was pretty much the backbone of everything we have wrong.
Industry over people
War at every turn
Destruction of democracies
All Ike had was a rhyming slogan for a name and a history using the slogan rather than admitting the harm he caused.
:) I set a low bar. Which post-WW2 Repug do you think was better than Ike?
Ford. And Nixon was probably better than Ike. Sure he prolonged a war, but it was like who started it.
:oops: I forgot about Ford. He's very forgettable. One can make a strong case for Nixon - China, EPA, Clean Air and Water Acts, etc - but he was such a detestable person and ego and paranoia-driven asshole that few will ever think positively of him.

Technically, Truman started the War when he reneged on FDR's promise of an independent Vietnam and allowed the French to re-colonize. Everything after that was the fruit of HST's poisoned tree, a Harry-Dick continuum. :o :wave:
Don't forget that Ike talked the South out of honoring the 1954 treaty calling for free and fair election to reunite Vietnam. Ike, too stupid to accept democracies anywhere he found them, worked the asshole ditator in the South to renege on the treaty, thereby starting the American War in Vietnam - killing 2 to 3 million people.
Fuck Ike
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Sorry to keep on about interstates on the Ukraine thread, but I had one other thought. You can imagine no interstates, and somewhat experience it, by looking at what was there before. Before I-40, there was US66. Before I-10, there was US90, and before there was I-5, there was US395 and US101. Before I-95, there was US1. There are many others, as well as some still-existing state roads. These do generally go through the towns/cities, although there are a lot of by-passes built. And of course, a by-pass can do as much damage to a town as an interstate.

I'm thinking that even without a broad-based interstate plan, that over time the US highways would mostly get upgraded, more by-passes would be built and we'd be in a similar situation, but with more intersections and route disruptions.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

And our rail system would be in much better shape.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Semi-serious question: Why would the ICC bother to issue arrest warrant for Putin when they know (and he knows) that they've got no jurisdiction over or within non-signatory countries. Doesn't that make them look a bit toothless?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:06 pm
Semi-serious question: Why would the ICC bother to issue arrest warrant for Putin when they know (and he knows) that they've got no jurisdiction over or within non-signatory countries. Doesn't that make them look a bit toothless?
There's no reason to expect the symbolism and to draw attention to the crimes, and that's ok.

We're talking about it.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:06 pm
viewtopic.php?p=181776#p181776
O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:12 pm
Well, at least now Trump will want to have a much bigger, most fabulous, most attended arrest warrant than Putin.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/ic ... r-AA18KVs4

Not that it's likely to amount to anything, but it's ridiculous that Putin's warrant came first before everything Trump has done. Sometimes a prosecutor has to grow some nuts and do his/her job.
The article does not do a deep dive into the full rationale, but:
... A potential trial of any Russians at the ICC is a long way off, especially as Moscow doesn’t recognize the court’s jurisdiction, and won’t extradite its nationals. Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov reaffirmed that position earlier this week.

Ukraine is also not a member of the court, but it has granted the ICC jurisdiction over its territory and ICC prosecutor Karim Khan has visited four times since starting an investigation a year ago....
In theory, a deposed Putin could be tried in Ukraine, Russia, elsewhere or delivered to The Hague. He can also be currently arrested by any nation he visits. The ICC does not have its own ability to arrest - "a bit toothless" - but 3rd party nations often step up to enforce international or domestic law. For example, Spain has been especially active in prosecuting Latin American brutality.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:35 pm
There's no reason to expect the symbolism and to draw attention to the crimes, and that's ok.

We're talking about it.
Might even cause some Russian shame or even help incite resistance . . . maybe.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I admittedly only select Ukraine-positive items in what has become bloody and horrendous trench warfare. That said:

Russian cruise missiles destroyed in rail yard; plus update on 'liquidated' torturer

:shock:

(long series of posts on this topic at the link)
... An update on the head of the Russian torture center who was the target of a partisan car bomb. Looks like his career has come to an abrupt halt.

... Like fish in a barrel.

BMPs are infantry fighting vehicles. More tweets and text at the link.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Is drone warfare making tanks obsolete?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:25 am
-0-? It does seem to be making open hatches obsolete :wave: . I wonder how big and costly a drone and bomb/missile have to be to take out a tank with closed hatches. I assume that there are effective armoring and/or counter measures since Ukraine asked for and NATO is sending Abrams and Leopard tanks.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:09 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
-0-? It does seem to be making open hatches obsolete :wave: . I wonder how big and costly a drone and bomb/missile have to be to take out a tank with closed hatches. I assume that there are effective armoring and/or counter measures since Ukraine asked for and NATO is sending Abrams and Leopard tanks.

Doesn't seem like it's too tough to take out it's tracks rendering it immobile.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:50 pm
Doesn't seem like it's too tough to take out it's tracks rendering it immobile.
-0-? Tracks have to be pretty hearty just to survive normal operation. It's not like derailing a bicycle.

I searched "battle tank track vulnerability" until I got bored, without success. I did find this, Countermeasures. It discusses surviving missiles and drones in general.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
-0-? ATMs, too?

A large convoy of Russian armored vehicles attacking in the direction of Donetsk is fired upon
Each Javelin fired is a goal. Slava Ukraini from Brazil 🇺🇦
Note to self: Dug in, well layered infantry, in an advantageously structured field of battle, with a good supply of Javelins, negate near 100% of enemy armor. Pity the orc battle slaves.
Slava Ukraine

Every day a T55 wakes up and knows that it will have to run faster than a javelin 😜
💪❤️🇺🇦🤝🇪🇺🇬🇧🇨🇦🇺🇸‼️
It's like shooting fish in a barrel, except they're stupid fish
Ukrainian Marines destroy Russian armoured vehicles with Javelin missiles in Donetsk

Ukrainian forces blow up Russian tank with a Javelin missile

Ukrainian forces blow up Russian trucks and ammunition with aerial attacks
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Russia's President Vladimir Putin could be a 'dead man walking,' a former CIA counterintelligence chief told an interviewer

... Olson concluded that if Putin were to be ousted from power by some uprising, that would end the war. He would not discount the most dramatic option in this possibility, saying, "I think Putin will be taken out. I would not rule out assassination."

Olson believes Putin's generals are "disgusted" by the futility and the carnage of the fighting in Ukraine. According to a brief from the Center for Strategic & International Studies published in February, between 60,000 and 70,000 Russian soldiers have died on the battlefield in Ukraine since the war began....
Fingers crossed. Slava Ukraini.

Caveat: This may be a sincere assessment. Otoh, it could be fake news designed to incite opposition and make Putin paranoid. Olson was CIA, after all.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:29 am

Caveat: This may be a sincere assessment. Otoh, it could be fake news designed to incite opposition and make Putin paranoid. Olson was CIA, after all.
"When they're really out to get you, paranoid is a survival skill"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:56 am
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:29 am

"When they're really out to get you, paranoid is a survival skill"
:D

and make Putin more paranoid.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.