Elon Muskiedoodle

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Elon Muskiedoodle

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Hoping this thread doesn't get much traction.

That said, he's an out of control egotistical attention whore as well as a nutcase.

Elon Musk, new owner of Twitter, tweets unfounded, anti-LGBTQ conspiracy theory about Paul Pelosi attack
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Re: Elon Muskiedoodle

Unread post by O Really »

I read an interesting discussion of the Twitter mess that made the point that Twitter's revenues are almost exclusively advertising; thus the advertisers are the "customer" and the users are the "product." Musk will have to bend to advertisers' requirements or the whole thing will either go bust or he'll have to run it from his own funds. Of course he has plenty of funds, but most of them are in ownership of Tesla and SpaceX, so he'd be cannibalising himself. And apparently advertisers are particular about what sort of twit-trash they want their ads beside.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:35 pm
I read an interesting discussion of the Twitter mess that made the point that Twitter's revenues are almost exclusively advertising; thus the advertisers are the "customer" and the users are the "product." Musk will have to bend to advertisers' requirements or the whole thing will either go bust or he'll have to run it from his own funds. Of course he has plenty of funds, but most of them are in ownership of Tesla and SpaceX, so he'd be cannibalising himself. And apparently advertisers are particular about what sort of twit-trash they want their ads beside.
That's pretty much how all Social media makes money.

Hasn't hurt Facebook too much yet.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Fuck elon

I'm considering selling my car, stock is already sold.
I hate to sell the car, but ... fuck elon
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:40 pm
Fuck elon

You sure?
He mostly makes money from sales and that's a done deal.
He'll make a little money from parts and upgrades, but that's true no matter who the owner is.
You seem happy with your Tesla. Am I right?
Have you considered just slapping a "Fuck Elon" bumper sticker on and leaving it at that?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:24 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:40 pm
Fuck elon

You sure?
He mostly makes money from sales and that's a done deal.
He'll make a little money from parts and upgrades, but that's true no matter who the owner is.
You seem happy with your Tesla. Am I right?
Have you considered just slapping a "Fuck Elon" bumper sticker on and leaving it at that?
Yeah, love the car, but increasingly hate the man.
A bumper sticker about his politics would probably serve better.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:35 pm
Musk has owned Twitter under a week and big names are already leaving the platform, complaining about a hate surge, and calling for tighter regulation

LeBron James
@KingJames

I dont know Elon Musk and, tbh, I could care less who owns twitter. But I will say that if this is true, I hope he and his people take this very seriously because this is scary AF. So many damn unfit people saying hate speech is free speech.
... Antisemitic memes also jumped, and so did the word “plandemic”—shorthand for a conspiracy theory in which elites are using the pandemic to gain power and profit off vaccines—according to Dataminr, which also analyzes social media, Bloomberg reported....

General Motors said it would temporarily pause advertising on Twitter, adding, “We are engaging with Twitter to understand the direction of the platform under their new ownership.”
The con chest-thumping from Cancun Cruz, molester-friend Jordan, failing "Truth" Social's TRE45QN and COVIDiocy Rogan is hilarious. As you say, advertisers have no interest in being associated with the Nazi platforms that modern cons cheerlead for. Musk will either have to flush his own money perpetually or reinstate reasonable content controls, period.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:13 am

The con chest-thumping from Cancun Cruz, molester-friend Jordan, failing "Truth" Social's TRE45QN and COVIDiocy Rogan is hilarious. As you say, advertisers have no interest in being associated with the Nazi platforms that modern cons cheerlead for. Musk will either have to flush his own money perpetually or reinstate reasonable content controls, period.
The best part is it will become unsellable after he's ruined it and gets bored. Not that anyone besides Elon was interested in buying it in the first place.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:41 pm
So yeah, guess he's running amok.

Elon Musk Dissolves Twitter Board, Crowns Himself as ‘Sole Director’
He's special, too. :P

Celebrities are starting to leave Twitter. Here's a running list.

"Grey's Anatomy" creator Shonda Rhimes
Sara Bareilles, The Grammy-winning singer/songwriter
Toni Braxton
Mick Foley, a retired professional wrestler and actor
Brian Koppelman, a co-creator of the Showtime dramas "Billions" and "Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber"
Erik Larsen, a comic book creator and artist best known for "The Amazing Spider-Man"
Téa Leoni
Ken Olin, an executive producer of the NBC show "This Is Us" and a former star of the ABC drama series "Thirtysomething"
Alex Winter, an actor and filmmaker best known for playing Bill in the "Bill & Ted" film series
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really
Admiral

So it's clear things aren't going to get better at Twitter. Why do they want to stay anyway? I'm pretty sure there are other tech companies they could work for, probably for many if not most of them without missing a pay cycle. My only "scramble" would be to the parking lot.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:47 pm
So it's clear things aren't going to get better at Twitter. Why do they want to stay anyway? I'm pretty sure there are other tech companies they could work for, probably for many if not most of them without missing a pay cycle. My only "scramble" would be to the parking lot.
Yeah, I'd be getting out my interview suit.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Musk brings in Tesla engineers to review Twitter code

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-mu ... cebook.com

I don't understand what he expects them to review. If you throw a random programmer on another project and say "review the code" yeah, you could maybe find some glaringly wrong methodologies, but it takes a heap of time to learn how a system is designed. I can't imagine trying to figure out how something as massive as Twitter.

I bet there's gonna be a massive exodus of top talent from Twitter. Seems like a great investment strategy - pay billions for something then do whatever you can to wreck it and bleed out the top talent. Also, institutional knowledge is 100% a thing. Bleed off too many at once and you're losing TONS of that knowledge of how the systems work.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:32 am

I bet there's gonna be a massive exodus of top talent from Twitter. Seems like a great investment strategy - pay billions for something then do whatever you can to wreck it and bleed out the top talent. Also, institutional knowledge is 100% a thing. Bleed off too many at once and you're losing TONS of that knowledge of how the systems work.
The investment strategy also includes overpaying by billions for the platform and then crying loudly it's not profitable while simultaneously ruining it.

This whole purchase is just ego feed.

O Really
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:32 am
. Also, institutional knowledge is 100% a thing. Bleed off too many at once and you're losing TONS of that knowledge of how the systems work.
It absolutely is. There are a lot of jobs that have periodic or seasonal responsibilities that aren't necessarily seen in daily work. If somebody gets laid off/fired they're for sure not going to leave a bunch of instructions on what to do and where to find the data. In the best of companies, top management doesn't really know the details of mid-level or professional staff jobs. And Musk knows less than nothing.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:30 am
In the best of companies, top management doesn't really know the details of mid-level or professional staff jobs. And Musk knows less than nothing.
Apparently he knows everything.

Just ask him. :lolno:

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:27 am
O Really wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:30 am
In the best of companies, top management doesn't really know the details of mid-level or professional staff jobs. And Musk knows less than nothing.
Apparently he knows everything.

Just ask him. :lolno:
Musk personally gets all the press, but you have to wonder if he has some professional advisors of some sort to provide enough information to make decisions. Publicly, it looks like he's a loose cannon on a lark - and maybe (probably) he is. Unlimited money, being one of the richest people in the world probably affects your perspective, but is he really going to play a frivolous gave with 10's of billions? It's all well and good to create a show of macho heartless management, but you suppose he knows that in the longish term, IRL, that doesn't ever and has never worked? Lots of people have ruled through fear, and have survived for a while, but in that environment employees will do only as much as they have to to keep from getting flogged. And then only until they escape. So you can run a slave-style operation, but you're not going to get performance out of it more than minimal.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I feel like Musk's hubris is gonna come back and bite him in the ass. Maybe it already has with this Twitter fiasco. The dudes got the character of a fourteen year old. Should be interesting to watch.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:42 am
Musk personally gets all the press, but you have to wonder if he has some professional advisors of some sort to provide enough information to make decisions.
You think that anyone who tells him what he doesn't want to hear are going to be around for the long term?