Elon Muskiedoodle

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Elon Muskiedoodle

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:08 pm
In regards to "free speech" being violated when advertisers pull out - a company's goal is to make money. If something threatens that, ie a toxic forum on the internet, or the potential to be associated with such, the company is likely going to sever ties to be safe. For such a supposed smart businessman, this simple fact seems to be lost on Elon Musk.

Politically charged or controversial associations = less of a market for your product. These choices aren't being made because of political leanings, they're being made to keep as large of a market as possible or their products and avoid any negative publicity. Also the fact that they don't investors pulling out. Once that ball gets rolling it's hard to stop and recover.

Fucking duh.
:thumbup:

:crybaby: Elon is now threatening to out any advertisers that pull out, accusing them of being anti-free speech. I doubt this will discourage many or any from leaving, but I know that it will dissuade potential new advertisers from ever signing on. It's a mystery how Musk ever succeeded in business.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Well, the 78% of the US population that doesn't use Twitter isn't going to change their shopping habits over a Twitter advert pull-out.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:37 pm
Well, the 78% of the US population that doesn't use Twitter isn't going to change their shopping habits over a Twitter advert pull-out.
:D Good point, but I suspect that the 22% is heavily weighted towards the advertising-desirable teen/youngish adult demographic.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:09 pm
O Really wrote:
:D Good point, but I suspect that the 22% is heavily weighted towards the advertising-desirable teen/youngish adult demographic.
Well, sure an advertiser aims for a demographic, and 75% of Twitter users are male. But ...
The analysis indicates that the 22% of American adults who use Twitter are representative of the broader population in certain ways, but not others. Twitter users are younger, more likely to identify as Democrats, more highly educated and have higher incomes than U.S. adults overall. Twitter users also differ from the broader population on some key social issues. For instance, Twitter users are somewhat more likely to say that immigrants strengthen rather than weaken the country and to see evidence of racial and gender-based inequalities in society. But on other subjects, the views of Twitter users are not dramatically different from those expressed by all U.S. adults.
https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/20 ... ter-users/
Three year old data - may need some tweaking, but still.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:56 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:09 pm
O Really wrote:
Well, sure an advertiser aims for a demographic, and 75% of Twitter users are male. But ...
The analysis indicates that the 22% of American adults who use Twitter are representative of the broader population in certain ways, but not others. Twitter users are younger, more likely to identify as Democrats, more highly educated and have higher incomes than U.S. adults overall. Twitter users also differ from the broader population on some key social issues. For instance, Twitter users are somewhat more likely to say that immigrants strengthen rather than weaken the country and to see evidence of racial and gender-based inequalities in society. But on other subjects, the views of Twitter users are not dramatically different from those expressed by all U.S. adults.
Yeah, pre tic-toc people.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'd thought of that when I first posted, billy.pilgrim. How has TikTok affected the makeup of Twitter users? For many it's not either/or, but the number of hours in a day for screen time is limited.
O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:56 pm

Interesting, thanks. Sounds like a group that would not like Twitter to become more con and racist, but no telling what their reaction will be.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

8 dollar "verified" Twitter account aftermath:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RealTwitterAccounts
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Does he accept full liability if a fake account causes damage to some type of Influencer?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:04 am
Does he accept full liability if a fake account causes damage to some type of Influencer?
I feel like what's gonna happen is Twitter is gonna slowly lose relevancy and fall out of favor amongst entities that matter, like businesses and government officials.

It's a well known platform, and in my opinion it's really convenient for sharing quick announcements. Having a verification process and a way to indicate to users an account is who they say they are is very valuable for this reason.

Allowing anyone to be "verified" for only eight bucks pretty made Twitter obsolete as a platform to easily obtain official announcements. It's just gonna devolve (even more so) into a cesspool of trolls. Typically big changes like this would be discussed at length and taken to their logical conclusions. Instead, Elon appears to just make knee-jerk decisions without thinking things through.

Also, if I was a Tesla shareholder I'd be pissed. It's not a good look for the company having someone in top management behave this way. Not to mention how he's pulled Tesla engineers and thrown them onto Twitter.

Twitter will likely continue to bleed even more revenue. It's all very entertaining. It's a shame people's livelihoods are at risk though.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:18 am
8 dollar "verified" Twitter account aftermath:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RealTwitterAccounts
:lol:

:---P :lol: :---P :lol:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Outstanding.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:18 am
I feel like what's gonna happen is Twitter is gonna slowly lose relevancy and fall out of favor amongst entities that matter, like businesses and government officials....

Also, if I was a Tesla shareholder I'd be pissed. It's not a good look for the company having someone in top management behave this way. Not to mention how he's pulled Tesla engineers and thrown them onto Twitter.

Twitter will likely continue to bleed even more revenue. It's all very entertaining. It's a shame people's livelihoods are at risk though.
Free speech? Nope.

Twitter chaos spills into public view as Musk clashes with and fires employees on the platform

:obscene-birdiered: Mush.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Trump school of management? :laughing-rolling:

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:57 pm

:wtf: :lol:
If he was a stable genius he wouldn't have burned 44 billion in the first place.p

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
I feel like what's gonna happen is Twitter is gonna slowly lose relevancy and fall out of favor amongst entities that matter, like businesses and government officials....
"slowly"? In the week since you posted it feels like Twitter is on the verge of total collapse.

Twitter hit with mass resignations after Elon Musk's ‘hardcore’ ultimatum

That birdie is frying like it's a hummingbird at Useless' koi pond.

This whole mess was driven in part by Musk's annoyance with the reasonable and responsible banning of serial liars, COVIDiots and instigators of violence like TRE45ON. As gets proven over and over, Everything Trump Touches Dies.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:33 am
Whack9 wrote:
"slowly"? In the week since you posted it feels like Twitter is on the verge of total collapse.

Twitter hit with mass resignations after Elon Musk's ‘hardcore’ ultimatum

That birdie is frying like it's a hummingbird at Useless' koi pond.

This whole mess was driven in part by Musk's annoyance with the reasonable and responsible banning of serial liars, COVIDiots and instigators of violence like TRE45ON. As gets proven over and over, Everything Trump Touches Dies.
Dang, almost all of the guys in that article video said they had been with Twitter about ten years. That's a ton of institutional knowledge gone.

I bet his actions are gonna scare off highly skilled engineers from seeking jobs at his other businesses as well. He's going to cause a brain drain.

O Really
Admiral

What's more, even the desperate ones who agree to the "hard core work" are unlikely to be able to do enough, no matter how hard they try. In a typical merger/acquisition, there is a lot of head in the sand self-protective attitude. Like, "well merging with MegaCorp will be best in the long run.' "They wouldn't have bought us if they didn't think we were doing a good job." "They said most employees won't be much affected." "There's probably more opportunity for growth in MegaCorp" ... yada. Then MegaCorp rips the guts/profits out of the company, dumps the employees and leaves it at best an empty commodity brand name. But in the case of Twitter, Musk was a known quantity before the acquisition, has made no secret what he intends, and has destroyed much of the company in a couple of weeks. No amount of Pollyannaism can overcome that. The remaining Twitter people are simply desperately looking at a light in the tunnel and ignoring the oncoming whistle.

O Really
Admiral

Payroll and Tax Departments bailed. "Why don't they have sophisticated software and/or a payroll company" one might ask. Well, they likely do, but the actual payroll changes from pay period to pay period due to many things including varying time worked, pay changes, terminations, payouts, individual changes in residence, deductions, garnishments, changes in benefits charges, and yada infinitum. Somebody within the company has to make and check all those changes before the software can run or before the data is released to ADP or somebody. And it's not something that you can just say "Heather, here's the payroll system manual - can you do payroll next week" There's a lot to it, it's very complicated, and even if they could hire new highly experienced payroll pros (as if), they wouldn't be able to get a handle on Twitter chaos quickly.

Elon Musk's ultimatum for Twitter workers did not go to plan.

Several hundred workers and some entire departments resigned on Thursday.

One department hit with a large wave of resignations is finance, including payroll.

A large portion of Twitter's financial organization, including its payroll department, left the company on Thursday in response to an ultimatum from Elon Musk that has seemingly backfired.

Along with the payroll department resigning, Twitter's US Tax team and its financial reporting team also resigned, two people familiar with the matter said, matching several internal messages seen by Insider. All three segments of the company were part of Twitter's finance and accounting organization. While accounting was "less impacted" by resignations on Thursday, that part of the organization is smaller now, too, one of the people said.

Employees are set to get paid again next week, one former worker said. While those payments are likely to have been already approved, the next round of payments will not have been, the person said.

"What happens in another two weeks?" the person asked. "When everyone who can approve something is gone."

"Now we'll never see our money," another former employee said. All the people who spoke with Insider asked not to be identified discussing sensitive matters. An email seeking comment from Twitter last night was not returned.
And what's more...
Staff who didn't sign up for Elon Musk's "hardcore" Twitter say they still have access to systems.

Twitter workers have speculated this is because the team that cuts off access have also resigned.

Less than half of Twitter's workforce wanted to sign up for Musk's "Twitter 2.0."