ron deSanctimonious

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: ron deSanctimonious

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 4:25 pm
Either I'm misunderstanding y'all and Haberman, or very confused.
This has been my point exactly - Don't laugh. Laughing gives them the spotlight and feeds their supporters.

Just as her uncontrollable reaction to the prospect of a trump presidency gave him a little more spotlight, so is her calling DeSantis not ready for the big time.
First, Haberman didn't say anything. She posted a quote from a business Brit. It's valid to note how FD is perceived abroad.

Second, in 2015 Haberman laughed at the idea that Trump might be POTUS. Now, all she's doing is agreeing that FD sucks, same as we on BRD do, NOT opining on his odds of victory. There's a difference.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 5:11 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 4:25 pm
Either I'm misunderstanding y'all and Haberman, or very confused.
This has been my point exactly - Don't laugh. Laughing gives them the spotlight and feeds their supporters.

Just as her uncontrollable reaction to the prospect of a trump presidency gave him a little more spotlight, so is her calling DeSantis not ready for the big time.
First, Haberman didn't say anything. She posted a quote from a business Brit. It's valid to note how FD is perceived abroad.

Second, in 2015 Haberman laughed at the idea that Trump might be POTUS. Now, all she's doing is agreeing that FD sucks, same as we on BRD do, NOT opining on his odds of victory. There's a difference.
I guess I see someone of her importance as having a greater responsibility to not give these shots like trump and Ron the media attention that she can and we can't.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 10:44 pm
Vrede too wrote:

I guess I see someone of her importance as having a greater responsibility to not give these shots like trump and Ron the media attention that she can and we can't.
???
EVERYONE with a brain is trashing Fascist DerSantis, just like we do. Many of our posts are other journalists or pundits mocking him. Are they wrong for doing so?

Why single out Haberman? Have you even looked up her recent NYT and CNN work to see what she's actually saying about the race?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 11:12 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 10:44 pm
Vrede too wrote:

???
EVERYONE with a brain is trashing Fascist DerSantis, just like we do. Many of our posts are other journalists or pundits mocking him. Are they wrong for doing so?

Why single out Haberman? Have you even looked up her recent NYT and CNN work to see what she's actually saying about the race?
Trash him - fine
Keep repeating he's not ready, he doesn't have a chance - not so good.

Nothing toward her specifically. I was simply responding that her statement posted by Cubs about DeSantis reminded me of her statement about trump.

If I had to pick a tv personality who carried this to the extreme, it would be Pensacola boy Joe with a little help from Mika. They lived off of giving trump airtime.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: fascism by deSanctimonious

"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) signed into law Tuesday a sweeping ban on sustainable investing.

House Bill 3 bars state and local governments from factoring in environmental, social or governance (ESG) factors in their decision of whether to invest or contract with specific businesses.

It also obligates state-registered banks to make loans to several industries — including fossil fuels, private prisons or the manufacture and sale of firearms — that the GOP alleges some large financial firms have been turning away from."

"It also obligates state-registered banks to make loans to several industries — including fossil fuels, private prisons or the manufacture and sale of firearms — that the GOP alleges some large financial firms have been turning away from.

House Bill 3 would bar financial institutions from “discriminating against customers for their religious, political, or social beliefs — including their support for securing the border, owning a firearm, and increasing our energy independence,” according to a fact sheet from the state of Florida.

In his signing ceremony on Tuesday, DeSantis — standing above a lectern that said GOVERNMENT OF LAWS, NOT WOKE POLITICS"

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... n-florida/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 5:38 am
Vrede too wrote:
???

Trash him - fine

Nothing toward her specifically. I was simply responding that her statement posted by Cubs about DeSantis reminded me of her statement about trump.

If I had to pick a tv personality who carried this to the extreme, it would be Pensacola boy Joe with a little help from Mika. They lived off of giving trump airtime.
Joe and Mika irritate me. I never leave them tuned in for very long.

:headscratch:
Again, we don't have a "statement" by Haberman. We have her tweet of a one sentence zinger from a British business guy as quoted in someone else's article. That's hardly the basis to judge anything about Haberman's prediction for the 2024 race.

Then, saying that "he's not ready" is very different from saying "he doesn't have a chance". Probably best not to muddle the two. TRE45QN wasn't ready and he still isn't, but I was one of the first here after rstrong to say he had a chance.

Ftr, I do think that Fascist DerSantis is a joke, that his ability to win the nomination is shaky, and that he's gone so far to the extreme RW fringe that there's no way he wins a general election.
Oop! Ron DeSantis's Own Memoir Comes Back To Bite Him In Disney Battle

The battle between Disney and Ron DeSantis is taking a pretty hilarious turn, as the former uses the governor’s own memoir against him in their recent lawsuit....

His efforts have been interpreted by just about everyone as political retaliation from the start, and his ego in boasting as much may end up being his downfall. In the lawsuit filed last week, lawyers for Disney cited numerous passages from DeSantis’s recently released memoir that they claim make up an outright admittance of political retaliation — and could amount to a violation of free speech.

:lol:
The funny thing about this is that there actually is a passage in DeSantis' memoir where he discusses his private talks with Republicans in the state legislature about how they're going to singly target Disney with governmental action.
... Maybe the folks in Florida should consider that continuing to publicly frame all your legal moves as retaliation isn’t always the best play. On the other hand, it does make things far more interesting for the rest of us.
Opps!
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

The stupidity of Republicans never fails to amaze me. I figure at this point they are comfortable disregarding evidence. They've had over two years practice in the form of denying what happened at the Capitol and why. They even call the version of this event Tucker Carlson provides them as "evidence" of innocence. Incredible.....so to me, this is just another example of reality denial by aspiring dictators. I guess it all started with how trump would incessantly lie and twist reality into something exactly opposite of reality.....like his "it was a perfect call" and "I did nothing wrong" and all the other bullshit. sick bastards

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:57 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 5:38 am
Vrede too wrote:
???

Trash him - fine

Joe and Mika irritate me. I never leave them tuned in for very long.

:headscratch:
Again, we don't have a "statement" by Haberman. We have her tweet of a one sentence zinger from a British business guy as quoted in someone else's article. That's hardly the basis to judge anything about Haberman's prediction for the 2024 race.

Then, saying that "he's not ready" is very different from saying "he doesn't have a chance". Probably best not to muddle the two. TRE45QN wasn't ready and he still isn't, but I was one of the first here after rstrong to say he had a chance.

Ftr, I do think that Fascist DerSantis is a joke, that his ability to win the nomination is shaky, and that he's gone so far to the extreme RW fringe that there's no way he wins a general election.
Oop! Ron DeSantis's Own Memoir Comes Back To Bite Him In Disney Battle

The battle between Disney and Ron DeSantis is taking a pretty hilarious turn, as the former uses the governor’s own memoir against him in their recent lawsuit....

His efforts have been interpreted by just about everyone as political retaliation from the start, and his ego in boasting as much may end up being his downfall. In the lawsuit filed last week, lawyers for Disney cited numerous passages from DeSantis’s recently released memoir that they claim make up an outright admittance of political retaliation — and could amount to a violation of free speech.

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1651272002861408256
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1651289964880232448
https://twitter.com/BrynnTannehill/status/1653373756167839744
https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1653445393001111552
:lol:
The funny thing about this is that there actually is a passage in DeSantis' memoir where he discusses his private talks with Republicans in the state legislature about how they're going to singly target Disney with governmental action.
... Maybe the folks in Florida should consider that continuing to publicly frame all your legal moves as retaliation isn’t always the best play. On the other hand, it does make things far more interesting for the rest of us.
Opps!
You said, "Ftr, I do think that Fascist DerSantis is a joke, that his ability to win the nomination is shaky, and that he's gone so far to the extreme RW fringe that there's no way he wins a general election"
I agree

You said, "Maybe the folks in Florida should consider that continuing to publicly frame all your legal moves as retaliation isn’t always the best play. On the other hand, it does make things far more interesting for the rest of us"

The us vs them fails to recognize Florida as the b8ggest melting pot state in the country. The twerps 60% approval rating didn't just come from people whose grandparents, or even parents, were born and raised in Florida.
Feel free to laugh at what you think are Florida Man people, but florida voted for
trump
Obama
Bush
Clinton in 96

Maybe us "folks in Florida" aren't so different than the rest of us"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:06 am
You said, "Ftr, I do think that Fascist DerSantis is a joke, that his ability to win the nomination is shaky, and that he's gone so far to the extreme RW fringe that there's no way he wins a general election"
I agree

You said, "Maybe the folks in Florida should consider that continuing to publicly frame all your legal moves as retaliation isn’t always the best play. On the other hand, it does make things far more interesting for the rest of us"

The us vs them fails to recognize Florida as the b8ggest melting pot state in the country. The twerps 60% approval rating didn't just come from people whose grandparents, or even parents, were born and raised in Florida.
Feel free to laugh at what you think are Florida Man people, but florida voted for
trump
Obama
Bush
Clinton in 96

You "agree" that Fascist DerSantis can't win a general election??? Why are you mad at Haberman because you think she shares the opinion?

I'm sorry that my formatting wasn't clear. This
is the last paragraph from the article about Fascist DerSantis handing Disney the evidence to hang himself in his memoir. It's not my words. It's from pride.com, which is certainly opinionated on the issue.

That said, I have a different take on the paragraph than you do. Rather than being critical of the folks in Florida I see it as expressing a hopefulness that they will realize that FD is an asshole throwing away their money by attacking Disney.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 1:25 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:06 am
I agree

trump
Obama
Bush
Clinton in 96

You "agree" that Fascist DerSantis can't win a general election??? Why are you mad at Haberman because you think she shares the opinion?

I'm sorry that my formatting wasn't clear. This
is the last paragraph from the article about Fascist DerSantis handing Disney the evidence to hang himself in his memoir. It's not my words. It's from pride.com, which is certainly opinionated on the issue.

That said, I have a different take on the paragraph than you do. Rather than being critical of the folks in Florida I see it as expressing a hopefulness that they will realize that FD is an asshole throwing away their money by attacking Disney.
My mistake. I agree that he's a joke, but firmly believe he could win. Republicans have a habit of electing jokes.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So take any story about DeSantis and Disney. Substitute "Disney" with the name of any other major company in a state. Substitute "DeSantis" with the name of any Democrat. Would anybody howl any quicker or louder than RepuQ's? And what would they say? "Overreach" "Unconstitutional" "Job Killing" "Work of the Devil" yada.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 11:13 pm
So take any story about DeSantis and Disney. Substitute "Disney" with the name of any other major company in a state. Substitute "DeSantis" with the name of any Democrat. Would anybody howl any quicker or louder than RepuQ's? And what would they say? "Overreach" "Unconstitutional" "Job Killing" "Work of the Devil" yada.
Seems that RepuQ likely voters and fat cats are howling about lots of things, the War on Mickey Mouse among them.

Powerful Billionaire Shocks Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis
Big donors are worried about the prospects of the man who not long ago was seen as Donald Trump's most serious opponent for the GOP's presidential nomination.

:violin:

I'm a little surprised by the negative impact within the GQP that Fascist DerSantis' culture warring and pandering to the pro-Putin wing has had. Good. Maybe there's hope for the GQP yet . . . Nah.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I don't know that it shows hope for the GQP, but consider that a lot of Trump's support really is cultish. His "people" are literally saying "we know he's a sleaze bag, but we don't care." DeSantis doesn't have that. So he's probably at least a little bit more susceptible to the pressures of social decency than Trump. Plus, a lot of Trump is bluster with little result. He might have trashed Disney publicly, but wouldn't have actually done anything. Like with WaPo, for example. DeSantis is not just blowing smoke - he's actually affecting the major employer in Florida and the livelihoods of thousands of Florida citizens he supposedly "represents."

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

They speak more reasonably now than they will after the Primary when they'll all come together in support of the winner by November.
That is - unless DeSantis wins and trump saves us all by running as a 3rd party and splitting the gop.

O Really
Admiral

Part of what's scary about DeSantis is you know he's capable of putting on a normal face. He (generally) did so in Congress and when running for Guv. Then he turned totally off any tracks. You do have to wonder who the "real" DeSantis is, though. He's always been an asshole apparently, so we know that much. And it looks like the power of being Guv with a super-majority legislation has gone to his head. Surely he must know - or somebody working for him knows - that his Florida act is pretty much a niche that wouldn't work in a lot of other places.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 7:14 pm
Part of what's scary about DeSantis is you know he's capable of putting on a normal face. He (generally) did so in Congress and when running for Guv. Then he turned totally off any tracks. You do have to wonder who the "real" DeSantis is, though. He's always been an asshole apparently, so we know that much. And it looks like the power of being Guv with a super-majority legislation has gone to his head. Surely he must know - or somebody working for him knows - that his Florida act is pretty much a niche that wouldn't work in a lot of other places.
Has Fascist DerSantis run so far off any tracks that no attempt to put on a normal face will be believable? That's the case IMO. Despite Joltin' Joe's flaws, at the moment I would be fairly comfortable with either Fascist DerSantis or Dolt .45 in the general. If RepuQs miraculously choose a more responsible candidate I'd be less sure.

Is DerSantis so far down in the polls and so disfavored by major donors that he chooses to hunker down in his fascist Florida utopia and not run for POTUS or is it too late to reverse course? You heard it here first.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

" If RepuQs miraculously choose a more responsible candidate..." Biden is doomed. Of course, it doesn't look like they actually have such a person in their stable who would run.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

New message needed.

I said before his act may play locally but it's not playing in Peoria. Maybe another reason he hasn't announced yet.

New poll: Is DeSantis's war on 'woke' Disney falling flat?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 9:04 pm
" If RepuQs miraculously choose a more responsible candidate..." Biden is doomed. Of course, it doesn't look like they actually have such a person in their stable who would run.
Asa Hutchinson is running.
Decision pending includes:
Chris Christie
Former US Rep Mike Rogers (MI) - probably qualifies as "more responsible", it's a low bar.
Francis X. Suarez, Mayor of Miami.
Chris Sununu

Again, I think it would be a miracle for modern RepuQs to opt for any of them.

Wiki's Declined to be candidates list is interesting. It includes:
Marsha Marsha Marsha Blackburn, neoplacebo's honey
Ted Cruz
Larry Hogan, a favorite of O Really and me
Adam Kinzinger, hero former US Rep (IL)
Dan Patrick
Rand Paul
Mike Pompeo
Mitt Romney
Marco Rubio
Paul Ryan
Rick Scott
Donald Trump Jr
Ivanka
Scott Walker
Glenn Youngkin

Might one or more of these regret not running in the 2024 train wreck?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 9:27 pm
New message needed.

I said before his act may play locally but it's not playing in Peoria. Maybe another reason he hasn't announced yet.

New poll: Is DeSantis's war on 'woke' Disney falling flat?
Same old message repeated.

Fascist DerSantis takes another step towards officially shaping Florida into a hetero, abled, male, xtian White supremacist paradise.

DeSantis signs bill banning funding for college diversity programs

Unscientific YAHOO POLL
Should states withhold funding from diversity programs at public universities?
No 69% including me
Yes 29%
Unsure 2%
3,492 votes

:roll: :obscene-birdiered: IMO it won't play in Peoria in Nov and maybe not even in the primaries, but we'll see.
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon May 15, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.