ron deSanctimonious

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: ron deSanctimonious

Unread post by Vrede too »

Excellent column:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis does the white thing by banning DEI funding at universities

... Ron DeSantis is merely asking the most diverse generation ever to forget this whole 'diversity' thing ...

Under the new DeSantis law, Florida college students will only learn 'the basics' ...

Don't worry, Florida college students, everything's going to be all-white! ...

OK, maybe some employers care about diversity, equity and inclusion

... And pretty much every company. Everywhere.

Don't worry. I'm sure the most racially and ethnically diverse generation of all time will be fine with this attempt to case diversity as something unnecessary and nefarious.

It’s definitely the white move, Gov. DeSantis.
Rex Huppke
Columnist at USA TODAY
Greater Chicago Area

About
America's most-beloved humor(ish) columnist (self-declared). Also an adjunct journalism professor in Loyola University Chicago's School of Communication, teaching features and opinion writing. Always open to being paid enormous amounts of money to write things.

Reporter/Columnist
Chicago Tribune Media Group
GoCubsGo
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Gov. Ron DeSantis To Send More Than 1,100 Agents (National Guard and LEOs) to Texas-Mexico Border
The Florida Republican has made a similar controversial move before.

I guarantee that some (many?) are not happy about being ordered by Fascist DerSantis to sort of enforce federal law outside of Florida. Not what they signed up for.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

DeSantis Officially Enters the ‘Find Out’ Phase of His War With Disney

If there’s one rule that all Floridians live by, one credo that everyone in the Sunshine State must follow, it is this: Don’t fuck with the Mouse. (Also, something about alligators. But mostly, don’t fuck with the Mouse.)

When Gov. Ron DeSantis started his aggressive campaign against the Disney company following its criticism of an education law nicknamed “Don’t Say Gay,” pretty much everyone except Ron DeSantis knew it would end badly. Disney, which is Florida’s largest taxpayer, has enormous sway in the state, employing millions of residents and driving the majority of the state’s tourism with its Orlando-based theme park Disney World.

Now, DeSantis is about to find out exactly what a bad idea it was to antagonize Disney. Following a protracted, DeSantis-led battle over the company being stripped of its self-governing status in the area surrounding its 25,000-acre resort, Disney has officially canceled a $1 billion planned construction project in Orlando, which would have reportedly brought more than 2,000 jobs to the area, according to numbers reported by The New York Times....
Opps. Great job, Fascist DerSantis.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Was just curious . . .

Disney shares down from 103.14 to 91.90 over past year.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DIS/?p=DIS
It was as high as 113.21 in February.

Fascist DerSantis margin vs Dolt .45 (RCP average):
Trump +31.3 a year ago
Trump +36.1 today
It was as close as Trump +12.8 in February.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -7548.html

Both Disney and DerSantis are down.
Disney's stock price is dependent on much more than its spat with DerSantis.
May say more about DerSantis' failure given that fighting Disney is heavily featured in his culture war bid for the nomination.
DeSantis says only he can beat Biden in 2024 presidential election
Florida governor, expected to announce run soon, tells fundraising event Trump does not have ‘serious chance’ of being elected

... On Thursday, Disney, one of the biggest employers in Florida, pulled out of a $1bn office development in Orlando. DeSantis is battling the entertainment giant over its opposition to his so-called “don’t say gay” public education law, a fight that has cost him donor support.

Progressives, Democrats and many observers think DeSantis may have marched too far right to win a general election....
Count me among them. Accurate Dem ads would be devastating.

Of course, the available evidence is that Fascist DerSantis is FoS:
General Election: Trump vs. Biden, RCP Average Trump +1.0
General Election: DeSantis vs. Biden, RCP Average DeSantis +0.5
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

ronnie doesn't like Obama judges

https://blogmickey.com/2023/05/desantis ... l-lawsuit/

"A newly filed Motion to Disqualify, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’ legal team is asking Chief Judge Mark E. Walker to recuse himself from a federal lawsuit filed by Disney World against DeSantis."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

This is working out well.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 9:05 am
This is working out well.

https://twitter.com/CarlosGSmith/status ... 4295260160
Carlos Guillermo Smith
@CarlosGSmith

History-making former lawmaker. Candidate for Florida Senate. LGBTQ. He/him/él. Good husband, brother, son, and favorite guncle.
:lol: "guncle" is new to me. There's also launt.
What were they saying?
Lock him up?
I thought it was Shut Him Up and hubby thought Lock Him Up! Not sure!
:lol:
I was hearing “wrap it up”
Pretty sure....they were also doing a circle with their hands in the air, as if to say "wrap it up"
That's what I heard.
The kids. The kids are alright.
Sounds like it went VERY well to me!
Wow, way to guys!! Should have also gave them a Bronx cheer!! Chris Rufo is the Stephen Miller of the DeSantis team.....Remember him......Immigrant hater.....
Christopher Rufo
CRT "has pervaded every aspect of the federal government" and poses "an existential threat to the United States".
:roll: :crazy: :puke-left:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So Florida people have kids in school, they see, or have the opportunity to see, what the kids get for assignments, homework, etc. They have the opportunity to browse the books and, with a reasonable effort talk at least briefly with their kid about their classes. The probably have an opportunity to meet the teachers. All this, and some loon shrieks "CRT evil" and they ignore everything their own experience has told them and vote against their own kids' interests.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 11:33 am
So Florida people have kids in school, they see, or have the opportunity to see, what the kids get for assignments, homework, etc. They have the opportunity to browse the books and, with a reasonable effort talk at least briefly with their kid about their classes. The probably have an opportunity to meet the teachers. All this, and some loon shrieks "CRT evil" and they ignore everything their own experience has told them and vote against their own kids' interests.
Is this dissimilar to how they've acted for almost 8 years now?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:28 pm
O Really wrote:
No but it still continues to amaze me. Shouldn't be now, I know, but I still can't quite grasp looking at a red car and declaring it white just because somebody who hasn't seen it said it was white.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
So Florida people ...
You answered the mystery with your first 3 words.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:28 pm
Nope. :(
O Really wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 4:51 pm
No but it still continues to amaze me. Shouldn't be now, I know, but I still can't quite grasp looking at a red car and declaring it white just because somebody who hasn't seen it said it was white.
How about looking at a red state and declaring it white just because somebody wants it to be white? Hence, "CRT evil!"
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:26 pm

How about looking at a red state and declaring it white just because somebody wants it to be white? Hence, "CRT evil!"
Sure, "red" and "white" in that context make a good analogy but these people can literally hold a piece of paper in their hand entitled "Your Kids' Curriculum" and not find any CRT yet still shriek "we gotta get the CRT out of our schools." And to back up their demands, they pick something that has no relation to CRT, like "At some time in the past, slavery was legal in some US states," and say "look - see there - CRT! boogy man boogy man!"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 6:30 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:26 pm

Sure, "red" and "white" in that context make a good analogy but these people can literally hold a piece of paper in their hand entitled "Your Kids' Curriculum" and not find any CRT yet still shriek "we gotta get the CRT out of our schools." And to back up their demands, they pick something that has no relation to CRT, like "At some time in the past, slavery was legal in some US states," and say "look - see there - CRT! boogy man boogy man!"
Make no mistake about it, the anti-CRT crybabies are really promoting White supremacy. They don't want their widdle feewings hurt by the inconvenience of accurate history being taught. For example:

NC lawmaker’s words to a Black colleague make clear what the GOP has become | Opinion

:roll: :puke-left: :x
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

With little real checking, it seems to me that most candidates who have run primarily to a "base" have been fish-slapped and stomped in general elections. Names like Goldwater and McGovern come to mind. Trump 2016 could be argued as an exception, but I don't think he was quite as much cult leader then as he became during his administration*. So the question could be, is DeSantis still running for the primary or does he intend to try to broaden his support? And is it even possible to moderate his positions after the Disney debacle and the immigrant kidnappings? Could he get a personality transplant before the primary campaign? Are there enough people even among RepuQ's that care about anything "woke" to give him more support? Are there really very many people who think picking a fight with Disney was a good idea? For that matter, I'll bet most Floridians couldn't tell you what "Reedy Creek" even was before DeSantis tried to end it. Reedy Creek was a client of my former firm, and I worked on some of their issues, but before that I would have had no idea what it was. IMNVHO, DeSantis is not ready for prime time, but in this strange and peculiar country we're in now could win.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Agreed, but it should be noted that Dolt .45 got fish-slapped and stomped by 3M votes in 2016 and he only achieved a very narrow EC "victory" - 77K votes across 3 key states - by virtue of campaign finance felonies and massive Russian assistance. So, 2016 further reinforces your point.

Some RepuQ voters base their primary choice on Nov electability. To the extent that they think that Fascist DerSantis has spoiled his chances in the general they are freed up to choose TRE45QN or a lesser candidate.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Let's not forget that most candidates pivot to the center for a general election and often times get away with it due to a lazy electorate.

DeSantis has been so extreme and has the the track record to prove it means that's probably not gonna fly for him. Dems will be shouting it from rooftops.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, Dems wont' need any shadowy sleazy music vague out of context comments in ads. Just play it accurately in his own words and full context. Who really thinks Disney is an enemy of the people, or that "woke" should be a top priority? Gets him headlines and clicks, but will it get him votes?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 3:28 pm
Yeah, Dems wont' need any shadowy sleazy music vague out of context comments in ads. Just play it accurately in his own words and full context. Who really thinks Disney is an enemy of the people, or that "woke" should be a top priority? Gets him headlines and clicks, but will it get him votes?
:thumbup:
DeSantis launches GOP presidential campaign in Twitter announcement plagued by glitches

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis launched his 2024 presidential campaign on Wednesday with a Twitter announcement plagued by technical glitches, stepping into a crowded Republican primary contest that will test his strength against former President Donald Trump and criticism that he's not ready for the national stage.

The 44-year-old Republican, an outspoken cultural conservative, initially announced his decision in a video posted on social media, but planned to discuss it further in a first-of-its-kind conversation with Twitter CEO Elon Musk on Twitter Spaces. But the audio stream crashed repeatedly, making it virtually impossible for most users to hear the high-profile announcement in real time....
Of course I didn't watch/listen, but it must have been hilarious. Perfect metaphor for the not ready for prime time Fascist DerSantis. A competent candidate would have prevented such a huge flop.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

A competent candidate probably wouldn't start off his campaign tied to a guy most voters think is just a crazy rich guy.

GoCubsGo
Admiral