Trump on Trial

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Trump on Trial

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:41 pm
RepuQ's attack the DOJ and FBI, whine "witch hunt" and "political persecution" and say a lot of "b-b-Hillary" and "whudabout Hunter", but what they don't say is "the accusations are false." Their (mostly unstated out loud) position is that Trump is indeed above the law and should be left alone no matter what he's done. That's scary when you think about it.
Boggles the brainpan, don't it? Especially when you consider that for something like five years they've been howling about Hunter Biden having done something.....yet no charges so far except the plea deal that they also whine and howl about. Yet on the other hand, not only don't they want trump charged, they apparently don't even want him to be investigated for his public in the light of day crime spree. Bizarre and weird. A cult.

Their latest group whine is over their advocacy for disinformation and misinformation shoveled out on social media.....a trump cult LA judge ruled that the Biden admin cannot even correspond with social media platforms to confront them over false information or conspiracy theories. So, they actually WANT to be lied to and WANT to make truth something hard to find. Goddamn lunatics.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:05 am
Boggles the brainpan, don't it? Especially when you consider that for something like five years they've been howling about Hunter Biden having done something.....yet no charges so far except the plea deal that they also whine and howl about. Yet on the other hand, not only don't they want trump charged, they apparently don't even want him to be investigated for his public in the light of day crime spree. Bizarre and weird. A cult.

Their latest group whine is over their advocacy for disinformation and misinformation shoveled out on social media.....a trump cult LA judge ruled that the Biden admin cannot even correspond with social media platforms to confront them over false information or conspiracy theories. So, they actually WANT to be lied to and WANT to make truth something hard to find. Goddamn lunatics.
It's all especially scary and crazy when combined with:
Trump prosecutors face threats as he attacks them online: report

The people who are prosecuting Donald Trump for allegedly mishandling classified documents are reportedly facing threats and harassment as the former president lashes out against them on his social media site.

Individuals working on the Mar-a-Lago documents case against the former president are facing "substantial harassment and threats online and elsewhere," according to the Washington Post, which cited extremism experts and a government official familiar with the case.

"Far-right Trump supporters are posting the names of prosecutors and government workers online and yelling them at demonstrations, threatening them and sometimes revealing details about their personal lives, the experts said," the outlet reported on Thursday....
Terrorists.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Terrorists indeed. But I don't think I'm as mad about the people doing the threatening and harassing as I am the millions of US citizens that now accept that as "just politics." As I saw in another article "Trump's violence has been normalized." Doomed. It's good to be old.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Here we go.

There could be complications of a sort never before presented to a court if Mr. Trump is a candidate in the last legs of a presidential campaign and a federal criminal defendant on trial at the same time. If the trial is pushed back until after the election and Mr. Trump wins, he could try to pardon himself after taking office or have his attorney general dismiss the matter entirely.

Some of the former president’s advisers have been blunt in private conversations that he is looking to winning the election as a solution to his legal problems. And the request for an open-ended delay to the trial of Mr. Trump and his co-defendant, Walt Nauta, a personal aide, presents a high-stakes question for Judge Cannon, who came into the case already under scrutiny for making decisions favorable to the former president in the early phases of the investigation.
This really is above Cannon's level of competency.
Aside from its request for a delay, the filing served as a preview of Mr. Trump’s legal strategy as the lawyers laid out ways in which they planned to attack his indictment.

They suggested, for example, that they intended to challenge some of the charges he is facing by arguing that the Presidential Records Act permitted Mr. Trump to take documents with him from the White House. That interpretation of the Watergate-era law is at odds with how legal experts interpret it and was not successful during an extended legal battle last year over an outside arbiter who was put in place to review a trove of materials seized by the F.B.I. from Mar-a-Lago, Mr. Trump’s private club and residence in Florida.

The former president’s lawyers also suggested that they might raise “constitutional and statutory challenges” to Mr. Smith’s authority as special counsel. Moreover, they laid the groundwork for questioning whether an impartial jury could be seated at the trial while Mr. Trump was running for office.

“There is simply no question any trial of this action during the pendency of a presidential election will impact both the outcome of that election,” they wrote, “and, importantly, the ability of the defendants to obtain a fair trial.”
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

If she turns out to be a huge sickophant is there an avenue of appeal?

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Silver linings?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:32 am

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/sta ... 6540708864
The short answer is No.
viewtopic.php?p=185105#p185105
viewtopic.php?p=185140#p185140
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:55 am
GoCubsGo wrote:

The short answer is No.
Hate when you quote me to me... :D

If she mucks it up I suppose there's a possibility Smith could file separate charges in New Jersey or D.C.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:04 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:55 am
GoCubsGo wrote:

The short answer is No.
Hate when you quote me to me... :D

I only cite the best! :-||
I was looking for my post and just happened to stumble on yours.

If she mucks it up I suppose there's a possibility Smith could file separate charges in New Jersey or D.C.

Double jeopardy would apply to any docs case unless Smith somehow uncovers new crimes related to the docs.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:11 am

Double jeopardy would apply to any docs case unless Smith somehow uncovers new crimes related to the docs.
Would it if he's never been tried?

IIRC, the charges in Florida are for crimes he committed in Florida. We know he also committed crimes in New Jersey (Iran war plans for one) that he hasn't been charged with (yet).

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:27 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:11 am

Would it if he's never been tried?

No, but the moment the trial starts double jeopardy attaches to any Loose Cannon mischief.

IIRC, the charges in Florida are for crimes he committed in Florida. We know he also committed crimes in New Jersey (Iran war plans for one) that he hasn't been charged with (yet).

Correct, double jeopardy would only apply to the charges for the trial that began. Any separate crimes committed in FL or elsewhere could still be tried. Idk the exact breadth of the current case. If the charge is removing the docs from the WH, maybe that covers taking them to NJ, too.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:53 am

Correct, double jeopardy would only apply to the charges for the trial that began. Any separate crimes committed in FL or elsewhere could still be tried. Idk the exact breadth of the current case. If the charge is removing the docs from the WH, maybe that covers taking them to NJ, too.
None of the charges are about removing them, it's mostly obstructing and colluding about not giving them back.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:41 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:53 am

None of the charges are about removing them, it's mostly obstructing and colluding about not giving them back.
Got it, thanks, but might the charges be deemed broad enough to also include obstructing and colluding re any docs taken to NJ or NY? -0-? In my entirely uninformed opinion if Smith loses one docs case there won't be a second one. However, there's still J6 and federal charges in GA.

On a more positive note:

Georgia grand jury selected in Trump case over attempt to overturn 2020 defeat
Grand jury will decide later this summer whether the former president and his associates will face criminal charges

Better late than never.
Trump loses immunity shield in E Jean Carroll defamation lawsuit

Ex-President Donald Trump can be held liable for disparaging comments he made about a woman who accused him of rape, the US Department of Justice has said.

Its lawyers previously argued Mr Trump was legally immune as he was president when he made the remarks in 2019.

But on Tuesday government attorneys said they no longer had "sufficient basis" to conclude Mr Trump had acted within the scope of his duties.

The decision boosts E Jean Carroll's defamation lawsuit against Mr Trump.

In May, Mr Trump was ordered to pay the former magazine columnist $5m (£3.9m) after being found liable for sexual abuse of her in 1996 at a New York department store.

Ms Carroll, 79, is currently seeking $10m from Mr Trump in a defamation lawsuit, which is due to go to trial in January....
:---P When one noose slackens another tightens.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:55 am

Got it, thanks, but might the charges be deemed broad enough to also include obstructing and colluding re any docs taken to NJ or NY? -0-? In my entirely uninformed opinion if Smith loses one docs case there won't be a second one. However, there's still J6 and federal charges in GA.

:---P When one noose slackens another tightens.
Smith apparently still has more cards to play.

Jack Smith’s Backup Option
Donald Trump was indicted in Florida. Could he also face charges in New Jersey?

Legal Analysts Say Jack Smith Signaled More Serious ‘Leaking’ Charges For Trump in New Jersey

https://nj1015.com/donald-trump-bedmins ... l-charges/

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I remember posting somewhere that the Bedminster place in NJ needs to be searched. But I might have just written it on the sidewalk. Or just mumbled it in a fit of desperate angst during some twisted dream. It's probably too late now.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:34 pm
I remember posting somewhere that the Bedminster place in NJ needs to be searched. But I might have just written it on the sidewalk. Or just mumbled it in a fit of desperate angst during some twisted dream. It's probably too late now.
Trump Tower and the jet, too.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

I guess this is good for fundraising or something....but it's so incriminating for when he's in front of a jury and it's a long shot he won't be.

O Really
Admiral

Trump's such an idiot. Even if Biden really has classified documents squirreled away behind his Corvette, he is still President. Nobody has tried to charge Trump for his handling of documents when he was President*. Handling is not the main issue: possession after he was tossed from office is the issue.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Yep.

O Really
Admiral

Ummm, cite, please? JK :lol: :lol: As if.