Gun Legislation

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Gun Legislation

Unread post by O Really »

Y'know, I wouldn't mind the right wingers saying everything "the left" proposes is awful if they'd offer something of a workable alternative that would actually address the underlying problems. They offer nothing but "thoughts and prayers" and random mumblings about "mental health" which they don't make any real proposals about. And I think I read that 25% (or more?) Repugs just think mass shootings are just "a price of freedom."

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:13 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:49 am
I started a troll thread on LNF with this tweet figuring what the ammosexuals responses would be.

I was not disappointed.

https://libertynewsforum.boards.net/thr ... eapons-war
:lol: :thumbup: Great minds . . .
Interesting that one idiot used cannon being legal once upon a time because of the 2nd.
I guess he didn't notice that they aren't legal, therefore, obviously not covered by the 2nd.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:09 pm
Interesting that one idiot used cannon being legal once upon a time because of the 2nd.
I guess he didn't notice that they aren't legal, therefore, obviously not covered by the 2nd.
The ammosexuals have been obsessing about cannons because Joe said, apparently incorrectly, that personal possession of cannons was banned in the 18th Century. They love to dwell on irrelevant minutiae as a wussy deflection from the reality of dead kids, teachers, grocery shoppers, etc. It's just like their extreme reaction to saying that AR-15’s are weapons of war or assault rifles. The victims and their families don't care, and assault rifles are whatever potential law defines them to be.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

USMNT urges Congress to pass stronger gun-control laws

Reggie Cannon, like most of the U.S. men's national soccer team, has traveled the globe representing his country and playing his sport. He grew up in Texas, some five hours from Uvalde, but he now lives in Portugal. And so, as news of last week's devastating shooting in his home state left Cannon "completely distraught," his Portuguese teammates, he said, were "really confused."

"What's going on in America?" they ask whenever American gun violence makes international news.

Cannon then must explain to them: Unlike in every other developed country, in the U.S., mass shootings are "not a surprise." They are, Cannon says with a sigh, "kind of normal for us."

His experience, and dozens similar to it across the U.S. roster, helped inform a letter that the USMNT players and staff sent to Congress pleading for stronger gun laws on Sunday, in the wake up massacres in Uvalde, Buffalo and elsewhere. According to the Gun Violence Archive, there have been 69 documented mass shootings in the U.S. over the past month, and 11 this weekend alone.

"We are often asked how in a place like the United States there can be such horrific gun violence," the USMNT wrote. "We are also asked why the representatives of the people do nothing even though most Americans want them to take action. Those of us who play professionally abroad experience none of these things in our daily lives, yet we return home to a place where mass shootings are frighteningly common and the victims are often defenseless children.

"Those who have lost their lives to senseless gun violence — and their families and friends that are left grieving — are very much in our thoughts and prayers. But like the all-too-often moments of silence that we use at our matches to honor the victims, our thoughts and prayers won’t solve this problem," the letter continues. "Beyond the death and crippling injuries, the gun violence causes so much more damage to the mental health of children, their parents, teachers, and all Americans who worry whether they or someone they love will be among the next victims of a mass shooting.

"Our ability to affect change is limited, but yours is not. You could vote this week to address gun violence in America, and in fact, you will be given that opportunity. In the coming days, the U.S. House of Representatives is voting on several bills that would address this serious issue. Please vote yes on all the bills being considered."

... "To members of the United States Senate," the USMNT letter continued, "a small group of your colleagues from both parties are working to craft a legislative proposal that will need the support of 60 out of 100 Senators to pass. Please stand up and say you will vote yes on gun legislation, so that a bill can go to the Senate floor, and the House and Senate can then work together to finalize legislation that does more than the bare minimum and will bring about a meaningful reduction in gun violence."

The players acknowledged that "there are those who say athletes shouldn’t get involved in issues that are deemed political," but they then continued: "Certainly, we can all agree that the safety of the children in our country is a sacred responsibility that is shared by all of us. We believe it would be irresponsible not to use our platform to raise awareness and call for change. Our activism is borne out of necessity — we are talking about this issue because many of you refuse to take action.

"Families in Uvalde, Texas, are in the process of burying 19 children and 2 teachers. Please stop choosing campaign contributions over kids’ lives. Stop being steered by some misguided notion that voting for gun reform legislation — or even refusing to talk about it in the first place — will get you voted out of office. Instead, do what is necessary to prevent this from happening again." ...
:clap: Your turn, NASCAR.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

NATIONAL GUN VIOLENCE MEMORIAL 2022

The National Gun Violence Memorial is an installation on the National Mall in Washington DC to remember victims of gun violence and inspire the #CourageToAct. These 45,222 flowers represent the increasing number of Americans who die from gun violence each year. Open to the public Sunday, June 5, to Saturday, June 11, 2022.

EVERY DAY, Over 100 AMERICANS DIE FROM GUN VIOLENCE
:(

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Asshole #1 open carries his AR-15 around a Missouri grocery store.
Asshole #2 robs him of his gun at gunpoint.
Asshole #1 retrieves another gun and initiates a parking lot shootout.
Two bystanders — both women and both probably not assholes — were struck. The injuries were not life-threatening.
Asshole #1 fled with his rifle.
Asshole #2 was shot several times.
Gunman #3, perhaps an asshole, then also shoots Asshole #2.
Asshole #2 is charged.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/man-had ... 13028.html

Isn't 2A America grand?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:06 pm

Isn't 2A America grand?
Hope the women sue the shit out of everyone.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:31 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Isn't 2A America grand?
Can't wait for the teacher v shooter crowed classroom fire fights.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:33 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:31 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Isn't 2A America grand?
Can't wait for the teacher v shooter crowed classroom fire fights.
Every proposed Republican solution to school mass shootings are just fucking stupid.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Some surprising names on the list.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Marsha Blackburn could have been first on the list but she's too busy looking for problems that don't exist or else creating problems where they did not exist before. She's funny that way.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:31 am
NC two-fer :thumbup: . Burr's a lame duck, but Tillis? I'm a little proud, but also a little guilty that I thought they were too hopeless to bother contacting.
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:18 am
Marsha Blackburn could have been first on the list but she's too busy looking for problems that don't exist or else creating problems where they did not exist before. She's funny that way.
Riiight, like Marsha Marsha Marsha would ever sellout the ammosexuals.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:40 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
NC two-fer :thumbup: . Burr's a lame duck, but Tillis? I'm a little proud, but also a little guilty that I thought they were too hopeless to bother contacting.
neoplacebo wrote:
True. I just meant that had she voted the other way she'd have been first in the alphabetical list of them.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Unlike Joni "let's castrate em" Earnst?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:30 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Unlike Joni "let's castrate em" Ernst?
As you said in your OP ...
GoCubsGo wrote:
... but Iowa is a purple state while TN isn't. -0-?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

At my place, I have a "Tuck Frump" sign on the door. This is not exactly popular around here. I've also this morning invited Eric Greitens to come to my house with his little squad of dumbfucks and noted that the residence will be occupied unlike the one in his campaign ad. I also denied he was a SEAL and informed him that instead he was a SLUG. So far he's not gotten back to me. They've had time to get here by now so I guess I'll be up late.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
I guess Tillis took the lead.
What’s in the Senate’s new gun control bill

The Senate voted to advance bipartisan gun legislation on Tuesday, with hopes of passing it prior to the July 4 recess.

All 50 members of the Democratic caucus joined 14 Republicans in moving the legislation forward. The bill comes after a number of mass shootings, most notably in Buffalo, N.Y., and Uvalde, Texas.

The Bipartisan Safer Communities Act falls short of more expansive proposals passed by Democrats in the House and is already facing opposition from top House Republicans.
Falling short sounds like Tillis, but:
Should it become law, however, the bill would be the most sweeping gun safety legislation passed by Congress in decades.

The bill’s chief negotiators — Sens. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., John Cornyn, R-Texas, Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., and Thom Tillis, R-N.C. — released a joint statement celebrating the agreement....
Sinema is like an extra Repug.
Here are some of the key provisions in the 80-page bill.

Funding for crisis centers and so-called red flag laws

Under the legislation, $750 million would be allotted over the next five years to help states implement red flag laws, which allow authorities to temporarily confiscate guns from individuals deemed a threat to themselves or others....
People in ammosexual states are SOoL, A federal red flag law would be better.
Closing the 'boyfriend loophole'

While spouses, co-parents or cohabitating partners convicted of domestic violence are already banned from purchasing firearms, abusers in relationships between people who are not married and live separately are still able to purchase guns, creating the so-called “boyfriend loophole.” (According to Everytown, a gun safety advocacy group, about 70 women are shot and killed by an intimate partner every month.)

Under the new legislation, anyone convicted of domestic violence against a former or current dating partner would be banned from purchasing a weapon.
Good.
Republican negotiators pushed for a strict definition of who would qualify as a dating partner and the length of time for which they’d be unable to purchase a gun. The law also would not apply retroactively, meaning that someone would have to be convicted of domestic violence after the law went into effect before they were stripped of their right to buy a firearm....
:roll:
Expanded background checks for younger buyers ...
Not near enough.
Funding for mental health ...
Good.
(Funding for) school security

... The bill also provides $300 million for the STOP School Violence Act for increased security at schools, although some Democrats had expressed concern about this aspect of the bill. Last week, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., said she was worried about “the expansion of background checks into juvenile records,” arguing that previous attempts to secure schools were both ineffective and harmful.

After the 1998 shooting at Columbine High School in Colorado, Ocasio-Cortez said, "we hired thousands of police officers into schools, and while it didn’t prevent many of the mass shootings that we’ve seen now, it has increased the criminalization of teens in communities like mine.”
I agree with AOC.
Licensed dealers and gun trafficking

The legislation would also require more sellers to register as “Federally Licensed Firearm Dealers,” including anyone who sells guns to “predominantly earn a profit.” These sellers would in turn be required to run background checks on potential buyers and keep records of the sales.

The bill would also impose penalties on “straw” purchasers who buy guns for people who can’t pass a background check.
Good, but I'll bet one can drive an Abrams tank through the loopholes.
Oh well, it's a start.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

What a bunch of fluff. Sure in theory, any bill that passes is better than any bill that gets killed by the NRA-owned RepuQ's, but that's short-sighted. Now every RepuQ that votes for this nothing-burger can claim both that they "fought for better safety for our kids" and that "they fought to keep 2nd amendment rights from being eroded. Thus they did nothing, but now they don't have to do anything because they can say with some accuracy "I voted for better laws".

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Wow, Texas leads the way.

Four in the last four years with seventy nine fatalities.

Let them secede, they deserve each other.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:37 pm
What a bunch of fluff. Sure in theory, any bill that passes is better than any bill that gets killed by the NRA-owned RepuQ's, but that's short-sighted. Now every RepuQ that votes for this nothing-burger can claim both that they "fought for better safety for our kids" and that "they fought to keep 2nd amendment rights from being eroded. Thus they did nothing, but now they don't have to do anything because they can say with some accuracy "I voted for better laws".
Ah-ha, you are finally revealed:

John Mellencamp Rages Against ‘Vague’ Gun Legislation After Uvalde: ‘Politicians Don’t Give a F–k About You’

... Mellencamp seemed to be channeling the frustration of many Americans, who’ve endured more than 250 mass shootings so far this year....
You have a happy summer too, O Really/John.
1312. ETTD.