Gun Legislation

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Gun Legislation

Unread post by Vrede too »

viewtopic.php?p=176339#p176339
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:04 am
Even for toddlers

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkFasOPI4yd/
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:06 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:28 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:15 pm
Wednesday :roll: :

Local News
3-year-old accidentally shoots, kills mother in Spartanburg Co.

No, I won't take a nap!

The only thing that will stop a bad 3-year-old with a gun is a good 3-year-old with a gun.
Guns don't kill people.

Toddlers kill people.
"I told her it was a fucking goat"
You thought you were joking :( :

Boy, 10, shot mom dead because she refused to make Amazon purchase: cops
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:01 pm

You thought you were joking :( :

Boy, 10, shot mom dead because she refused to make Amazon purchase: cops

What's to become of that kid?

Guessing he'll get out when he's 18 (maybe, the article said he's being charged as an adult).

Can he ever really be trusted out in society?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:01 pm

No.
If he gets out, he'll be a serial killer or some other criminally insane creature.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:12 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:01 pm

No.
If he gets out, he'll be a serial killer or some other criminally insane creature.
Shopaholic, at the least. :wave:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Wed 12/14
CNN Special Report
Sandy Hook: Forever Remembered
10:00 PM EST ON CNN • CC

On the 10-year anniversary of the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy, CNN anchor Alisyn Camerota speaks with the impacted families and lawmakers to discuss their decade-long fight surrounding mental health and gun policy in America.

:(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Let's see,
White racist
UnAmerican
Unconcerned about child deaths
Antisemitic
Lies about gun ownership stats
Unaware that almost all "illegally possessed firearms" were once legal guns
Asshole

Yep, gun lobbyist.

Gun Lobbyist Says Child Shooting Death Stats Would Be Lower 'If You Remove Black Males'
Rocky Mountain Gun Owners lobbyist Kevin Lorusso also said Jews in the Holocaust should've been able to shoot Nazis "on the way" to their own deaths.

:obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

North Carolina Lawmakers Scrap Permit Requirement To Buy Pistol
Gov. Roy Cooper and Democratic lawmakers warned the repeal would allow more dangerous people to obtain weapons through private sales, which do not require a background check.

North Carolina legislators repealed the state’s requirement that someone obtain a permit from a local sheriff before buying a pistol, as the Republican-controlled legislature on Wednesday successfully overrode one of Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper’s vetoes for the first time since 2018.

The House voted 71-46 to enact the bill — over Cooper’s objections in last week’s veto message — to eliminate the state’s longstanding handgun purchase system, which among other things required sheriffs to perform character evaluations of gun applicants. The Senate voted to override the veto on Tuesday.
:puke-left: :obscene-birdiered:
... Wednesday’s House vote tally showed three Democrats failed to vote on the override, creating enough of a margin to meet the constitutional requirement....
:roll: :x
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

At this point I'm hoping it's really just politics and the desire to get votes and stay in power.

It's a little scary to think they love guns this much.

After Mass Shootings, Republicans Expand Access to Guns
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:25 am
At this point I'm hoping it's really just politics and the desire to get votes and stay in power.

The politics is big, of course, but I think they've condensed everything they don't like or afraid of from "others" into the gun issue. Every issue they've fought for decades comes down to "can't take my guns away." They've drawn their line in the pile of bullshit they stand behind.

Applying their logic, you could say almost every law on the books is worthless. Why have laws against murder when people still get murdered every day? If guns were looked at as tools (which is what they claim), they would be considered dangerous tools and their use regulated in a way to help improve safety.

People claim to want to "pertek ma fambly" which is fine idea, but the vast majority don't face any real threat, and don't do the things that would be necessary if they did. The run of the mill burgles can be prevented with security measures; if they're really out to get you personally, a gun in the closet or anywhere other than constantly in your hand isn't going to help when they come busting through the door.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:45 am

The politics is big, of course, but I think they've condensed everything they don't like or afraid of from "others" into the gun issue. Every issue they've fought for decades comes down to "can't take my guns away." They've drawn their line in the pile of bullshit they stand behind.

Applying their logic, you could say almost every law on the books is worthless. Why have laws against murder when people still get murdered every day? If guns were looked at as tools (which is what they claim), they would be considered dangerous tools and their use regulated in a way to help improve safety.

People claim to want to "pertek ma fambly" which is fine idea, but the vast majority don't face any real threat, and don't do the things that would be necessary if they did. The run of the mill burgles can be prevented with security measures; if they're really out to get you personally, a gun in the closet or anywhere other than constantly in your hand isn't going to help when they come busting through the door.
Quit making freaking sense.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:38 pm
Quit making freaking sense.
billy.pilgrim often post about how successful the GQP is with the culture wars and marketing. I heard someone on TV - pundit, pol, activist? - saying that the Dems should make guns a premier culture war issue. Idk if it would defeat RepuQs and advance gun control, but it may be worth trying. Something has to break the cycle of slaughters.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:

It's bad out there.

Florida sheriff goes on a wild rant against gun laws while announcing arrests in shootings that killed 3 teenagers

The article doesn't convey the extreme nastiness and stupidity. Here's the full press conference. I'm sure there are shorter clips of the worst bits floating around online.

Ironically, Sheriff Billy Woods is a perfect example of the irresponsibility he's talking about, no surprise for an official elected by the very White RepuQs of Marion County (Ocala), Florida.

Billy is a slow, lying whiner. We know for a FACT that comparable nations and states on average with stricter gun laws have lower overall murder rates. However, ammosexual Billy desperately deflects from that by screeching about social problems that he has no Rx for.

For example Billy shrieks that no gun laws would make a difference in the same breath that he says the killers' guns were stolen from cars. Maybe we should start holding gunhuggers accountable for the crimes committed as a result of their sloppy gun storage, but Billy is too dim or dishonest to mention that obvious intervention.

Hundreds of millions of people around the world are criminals or potential criminals. The American exception is that we choose to heavily arm them.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:25 am

If protecting the home fires and all such bs, then why aren't they promoting guns that protect the home? Instead they promote assault type weapons.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:

Brilliant longterm marketing campaign by the gun industry, NRA and RNC.

Their mommies still have to buy the apples and oranges for them.

The vast majority DO face a real threat. In fact, a gun in the home INCREASES the danger to the owner and family, not decreases it.
What Researchers Learned About Gun Violence Before Congress Killed Funding
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:20 pm
If protecting the home fires and all such bs, then why aren't they promoting guns that protect the home? Instead they promote assault type weapons.
They will sell any and all types of guns to anyone, anywhere, anytime.

Texas:
Spurs' Gregg Popovich calls for gun control in U.S., criticizes lawmakers

San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's pregame media availability Sunday opened with the NBA's all-time wins leader declining to discuss whether he would consider retirement this offseason and ended with an unprompted, passionate speech lobbying for gun control legislation in America and criticizing "cowardly legislators who are selfish."

Popovich, 74, has expressed strong opinions on gun control and other political issues frequently in recent years. He made a point to bring up the subject as his media session before the Dallas Mavericks game seemed to be wrapping up, asking whether anyone in the room was carrying a firearm.

"I just wondered because we have a governor and lieutenant governor and an attorney general that made it easier to have more guns," Popovich said, referring to Texas politicians. "That was a response to our kids getting murdered. I just thought that was a little bit strange decision. It's just me, though."
And Tennessee:
During a speech that lasted more than nine minutes, Popovich criticized several Republican legislators, particularly in Texas and Tennessee. He expressed outrage about the expulsion of Reps. Justin Jones and Justin Pearson from the Tennessee House of Representative after the pair of Black Democrats led gun control demonstrations on the chamber floor last week in the wake of a school shooting in Nashville.

"Well, since you asked, what would it take to budge those people? What would it take?" Popovich said. "I mean, we've got two young Black guys in Tennessee who just got railroaded by a bunch of people that I would bet down deep in their soul want to go back to Jim Crow. And what they just did is a good start. It's beyond comprehension. And what were they guilty of? They actually protested?

"Those [Tennessee Republican] legislators called those kids that were protesting insurrectionists. That's hard to believe in America. But America ain't what we thought America was. It's changed. So if those kids are insurrectionists, what were the people on January 6th? What do we call them? What's the next step or word or level of violence after insurrectionists? I don't know what it is. What will it take?"

Popovich then picked up a piece of paper and read a statement from Republican Tennessee U.S. Sen. Marsha Blackburn that was released after a shooter killed three 9-year-olds and three adults at a private elementary school in Nashville last month.

"I mean, I couldn't believe it, so I wrote this thing down, but Senator Marsha Blackburn, her comment after was, after the massacre, 'My office is in contact with federal, state and local officials and we stand ready to assist,''' Popovich read.

"In what?! They're dead!" Popovich shouted. "What are you going to assist with -- cleaning up their brains off the wall, wiping the blood off the schoolroom floor? What are you going to assist with?

"And then there's Governor Lee. I'm sorry to go on and on, but Bill Lee: 'I'm closely monitoring the tragic situation. Please join us in prayer.' What are you monitoring? They're dead! Children -- they're dead. When I pick up my 6- and 11-year-old grandkids at school, when I'm here at home, on the way it goes through my mind that I hope they're going to be OK."

Popovich called resistance to gun control legislation an attempt to "cloak all this stuff [in] the myth of the Second Amendment," and criticized Republican lawmakers who have made family Christmas cards posing with guns.
And America:
"You know, the greed of the gun lobbies and the manufacturers is obvious," Popovich said. "We all know that. Money talks, but the cowardice and the selfishness of the legislators who are so scared to death of being primaried and losing their job, losing their power, losing their salary -- you'd like to get each one of 'em in a room just one by one and say, 'What's more important to you? If you could vote for some good gun safety laws that most of the public agrees to, would you do that if it saved one kid? Or is your job and your money so important to you that you would say, screw the kid? What's, what's in your mind?'"

Popovich mentioned events from the Civil Rights era, the Vietnam War and the murder of George Floyd of examples of gruesome violence being shown in gory detail that influenced public opinion.

"So what will it take? Do we have to show it? Do we have to show that classroom?" Popovich said. "That's a pretty big step, right? That's just gross to think about. But do we need to show it, like the girl running with Napalm on her back? So they actually see that these parents couldn't even tell if it was their kid, that they had to go the DNA route. Will that wake up [U.S. Sen.] Josh Hawley, so he won't be running like this [raises his right fist] to the whatever they were, insurrectionists? I don't know what the next word would be.

"You know, these people, they think we're stupid -- Republican and Democratic alike. But they might be right because they get away with that crap. They tell us things about prayers and you know, their offices are monitoring this stuff, like I said. Get away from me. Stop all the bulls---. Stop talking down to us. We're not stupid, but they will do it to keep their jobs."
:---P :---P :---P :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ted Cruz said school shootings can be prevented if they have armed guards, like in banks. That aged poorly after the deadly Louisville bank shooting.

:roll: Debunking Cruz
If armed gunmen toting AR-15s mowed down every GOP member of Congress in one grand gesture. Do you think their replacements would have a more realist view of gun control, or remain as steadfast as Ted Cruz?
:o :think:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:20 pm
"protecting the home" is suspect, too.

Ralph Yarl: Black teen shot by (White) homeowner after ringing wrong doorbell

:o :cry: :puke-left:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

If they don't charge this guy, then all past law and precedent - at least in Missouri - is just down the drain. "Stand your ground" still requires some reasonable expectation of endangerment. Historically, you couldn't shoot an intruder until/unless he got inside, because if you were behind a closed/locked door, you weren't in immediate serious danger. Even if the kid had been banging on the door and yelling, you couldn't shoot him. Even if he vandalized your porch you couldn't shoot him because damage to property doesn't justify lethal force. Possibly, if the kid had had a gun and fired through the door, you could shoot back, but that clearly wasn't the case. Other than the fact that the kid was black, there was no reason whatsoever for the homeowner to feel threatened, and he didn't even bother to find out what the kid wanted. If it were my choice, I'd go with voluntary manslaughter, criminal negligence, and whatever gun violations I could dig up. Make an example of the asshole.

O Really
Admiral

"A White 85-year-old homeowner who allegedly shot and wounded Ralph Yarl, a Black teen, after the 16-year-old went to the wrong home to pick up his siblings will face two felony charges, Clay County attorney Zachary Thompson announced early Monday evening.

Andrew Lester will face charges of assault in the first degree and armed criminal action. Authorities have issued a warrant for his arrest and he’s not currently in custody, Thompson said.

“I can tell you there was a racial component to this case,” Thompson said at a news conference without elaborating.

There is no indication that either Lester or Ralph spoke to one another before the Thursday evening shooting, he said. The prosecutor added there is no evidence that the teen entered the home and preliminary evidence shows Lester opened fire on the teen through a glass door with a .32 caliber revolver."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:14 pm
"A White 85-year-old homeowner who allegedly shot and wounded Ralph Yarl, a Black teen, after the 16-year-old went to the wrong home to pick up his siblings will face two felony charges, Clay County attorney Zachary Thompson announced early Monday evening.

Andrew Lester will face charges of assault in the first degree and armed criminal action. Authorities have issued a warrant for his arrest and he’s not currently in custody, Thompson said.

“I can tell you there was a racial component to this case,” Thompson said at a news conference without elaborating.

There is no indication that either Lester or Ralph spoke to one another before the Thursday evening shooting, he said. The prosecutor added there is no evidence that the teen entered the home and preliminary evidence shows Lester opened fire on the teen through a glass door with a .32 caliber revolver."
He shot through his own glass door? :wtf:

Hate crime enhancement? Federal civil rights charges? 85-years-old - good chance he dies before he's imprisoned.

TV news: Ralph Yarl was rejected at 3 homes where he sought help.
:obscene-birdiered: :obscene-birdiered: :obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:26 pm

Hate crime enhancement? Federal civil rights charges? 85-years-old - good chance he dies before he's imprisoned.

TV news: Ralph Yarl was rejected at 3 homes where he sought help.
:obscene-birdiered: :obscene-birdiered: :obscene-birdiered:
He ain't gonna be anyone's bitch in prison.